Help me choose a wall color for my bathroom
preschy
We just bought this 1920 farmhouse. Some of it has been updated, some of it not. The granite countertop will stay in the bathroom as well as the current fixtures. The cabinets will be refaced a distressed white and that LOVELY shag carpet step will definitely go! I would love your input in choosing a wall color. The adjoining shower/toilet room will also be painted. I am not sure what to do with the gold shower, but that is another project. Thanks so much!
mpoulsom
why a sagey green of course! :) that's just what I would do anyway.
January 14, 2014 at 2:26PM     
preschy
I don't love the green.....so I was trying to come up with something that would have a more updated feel. :)
January 14, 2014 at 2:30PM   
mpoulsom
well what about a wheat color?
January 14, 2014 at 2:32PM   
preschy
Oops, this is the other picture I neglected to upload.
January 14, 2014 at 2:34PM   
preschy
Hmmmm, I hadn't even thought of wheat. I was completely on the other spectrum - browns, charcoal, which, is of course why I asked all of you!
January 14, 2014 at 2:36PM   
mpoulsom
what about painting the vanity black instead? Might be a better contrast with your tile.
January 14, 2014 at 2:39PM        Thanked by preschy
Antonino Buzzetta Design
I would go for Chocolate Velvet by Benjamin Moore. The name alone says it all!! You need to add more depth and interest ... going dark is always a great way to set that mood. Please make sure you have dimmers installed as well. =)
January 14, 2014 at 2:40PM        Thanked by preschy
Denita
hummm, Chocolate Velvet does sound good!

January 14, 2014 at 2:45PM   
LB Interiors
I love your bathroom! I would like to soften the tub with sheer drapes. Tied back to the right side of the tub. I would choose a caramel warm color that works with your cabinet color. Brings warmth to the space. Is cozier and inviting. I think a light warm beige/tan for paint. A color that doesn't look too neutral, has enough color to make a difference, while still keeping the elegance of the room. It's too difficult to suggest actual colors, from monitors, actual samples and your room. You would have to get samples to try.

These drapes are too heavy, just for a visual idea.
Bathroom
Reverse the direction of the tied back drapes
Hawks Landing

Just to give you an idea. Bring home the sample chips to find the palette that works.
Benjamin Moore Glacial Till AF-390
natural leather CSP-1065
Tawny Birch
Clay Beige OC-11 Paint
January 14, 2014 at 2:52PM      Thanked by preschy
CDR Design
I don't think the white distressed cabinets are going to look good with the tile floor.

I would use a dark color on the cabinets and then you can go paint the walls a color similar to your tile

LB Interiors
I like the idea of painting the cabinet black. Great for a versatile array of paint color choices for the room. Black is classic, classy, contemporary and opens you to any accent paint color that you like.
January 14, 2014 at 2:55PM      Thanked by preschy
Even though green is not your favorite, you do have to acknowledge that the counters are there. Would you consider a wallpaper with the tile and counter top colors incorporated? Then paint the vanity the floor and tub surround color in a semi-gloss.

January 14, 2014 at 2:56PM   
LB Interiors
As much as I like the Chocolate Velvet color, I think it should be a warmer red/brown color if going toward a brown cabinet.
January 14, 2014 at 2:58PM   
LB Interiors
I like Judy G's wallpaper idea too.
January 14, 2014 at 2:59PM   
preschy
Whew! You have given me so much to think about! Thank you all!

In our previous rental, we had this same granite and the cabinets were dark and it did look incredible, so that is a great thought.

@ CDR Design, I noticed that one of the photos had beadboard. What do you think of that?

@ JudyG, as far as wall paper, I have to laugh as my goal with this cute farmhouse is to get rid of the wallpaper! I currently have wallpaper EVERYWHERE :)

@ LBInteriors, I know the window needs some softening. A sheer would look romantic wouldn't it. hmmmm.... so many things!
January 14, 2014 at 3:11PM     
preschy
@ Antonino - we do have dimmers, which I love!
January 14, 2014 at 3:13PM   
preschy
I didn't take a picture of it, but there is large white crown moulding around the ceiling. If I go dark on the cabinets, paint the walls (not sure color yet) would this look odd?
January 14, 2014 at 3:20PM   
LB Interiors
preschy, I wasn't talking about sheers at the window. I was talking about across the front of tub, drapes pulled to the right, with a rod all the way across the front of the tub : ) No, I would not cover the window. Romantic in front of the tub : )
January 14, 2014 at 3:21PM        Thanked by preschy
preschy
Yes, gotcha LB Interiors - !
January 14, 2014 at 3:23PM   
LB Interiors
Molding is great, a contrast paint color will highlight the molding and be beautiful.
January 14, 2014 at 3:24PM      Thanked by preschy
preschy
Perfect! Well, I am excited to go look at some of the colors you all suggested. Thank you! I will get some samples and try them out.
January 14, 2014 at 3:27PM     
CDR Design
It appears the rest of your trim is white. The white crown molding will be fine.

I would choose either black or a that espresso color for your cabinets.

Beadboard:

I think it would look really classy to introduce some. What I would do is to cut out the raised panel sections on the cabinets on the front of the vanity, as well as the cabinets in the triangle section. Then I would replace that panel area with breadboard.

Then, if possible, consider removing the tile in front of the tub and replacing it with breadboard.
January 14, 2014 at 3:31PM      Thanked by preschy
happyasaclam
What color is your bedroom painted? Do you want continuity?
February 12, 2014 at 9:26AM   
Barnhart Gallery
Your stone is just gorgeous, and you've received some good suggestions already. I'd wow up that window by commissioning something like this to go around it:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/014/0/6654272/il_570xN.413638346_cdbf.jpg http://www.etsy.com/listing/119677331/27-octagon-natural-walnut-wood-sunburst
February 12, 2014 at 9:43AM   
preschy
Continuity-yes, as the two rooms are connected. My bedroom wall color is SW Rain. I ended up painting my bathroom walls and the lettering above my bed the color Cinncinati Hotel. My bathroom cabinets are almost done being painted. We did go with a light cabinet. We also have a frame being built to go around the mirror which will be done this week too! Now to tackle the window suggestions.
May 19, 2014 at 5:31PM     
preschy
We will also be switching out the light fixtures so they don't clash with the faucets.
May 19, 2014 at 5:40PM     
CDR Design
One idea is to add octagonal mirrors to each side of the current one. If you added 2 of these, then I would paint the frame of the window to match the mirrors.

How much space do you have on each side of the window?

]
May 20, 2014 at 2:41AM   
preschy
There is 30 1/2 inches on either side of the window.
May 20, 2014 at 1:45PM   
CDR Design
Mirror is 16.12 x 16.5 inches. So, there would be approximately 7" between each mirror/window/wall

What is the size of your window and do you even like this idea?
May 20, 2014 at 2:00PM   
LB Interiors
Hmmm. I think I might like two rectangular art pieces and let the window stand as a central focus.
May 20, 2014 at 2:06PM   
CDR Design
I think that would work LB.
May 20, 2014 at 2:33PM   
preschy
I think I like the idea of contrast versus repeating the same shape.
May 20, 2014 at 6:08PM     
Please help me choose my accent wall color (pics)
Hi there! I have a blue kitchen (see below with a...
Please help me choose a color for my wall!
I would like to repaint one wall in color in this all...
Need help choosing paint color for my bathroom
We are planning to redo this small bathroom in a few...
Building a 4 Season room
I'm planning an addition to my home. A 4 season room...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Curb Appeal Needed!
New Home: We just removed several trees and bushes...
Thinking of painting my Victorian
I am thinking a dark gray with white trim? What do...