Ceiling ideas. For the budget minded
Karyn Jolink
We have a small cottage fixer gradually we are working on giving it a fresh new look recently we removed carpet and old tile and laid barn wood planks for floors we had the wood and did the work ourselves making it a affordable up grade with big results We still have many jobs to tackle but one that will leave a big impact as well is up dating the ceilings we are leaning towards bead board but that could be costly any clever ideas of how we could keep the cottage feel and look well keeping budget in mind
collettec
Love your floors and love what you've done with your place! Actually I like your ceiling. I think it works well with the wide planks of the flooring. If you wanted to do something different with it, perhaps you could paint it the cream color of the walls or a light blue shade.
4 Likes   January 14, 2014 at 2:54PM
Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
Floors are awsome - did you know you can get a beaded board finish in a 3/8" x 4'x8' paneling that is cheaper - in order to maintain the cottage look consider 1x6 ( 3/4" ) boards around the edge of the room and between the panels or some faux 6" x 6" beams. ( this will emphasize the angled ceiling which is a nice detail. )
2 Likes   January 14, 2014 at 3:03PM
bungalowmo
What about something like this. Not necessarily with the large chandelier, but if you did find a matched set of vintage fixtures, that would be cool too....
1 Like   January 14, 2014 at 3:03PM
Another Thyme
I agree with collettec about the ceiling. I think all you need to make this room pop is a colour on the walls that supports your lovely blue accents.
1 Like   January 14, 2014 at 3:04PM
Barnhart Gallery
As Dairy Queen used to say, that floor is "scrumpdillyicious!" Is that acoustical tile on the ceiling?
1 Like   January 14, 2014 at 3:05PM
Karyn Jolink
Thank You My husband says yes they are sort of acoustical tile I have thought of painting them but some areas are stained and needing to be replace I like the idea of the beams and we could have access to more wood from the barn. We removed the planks from although I was worried it might make the ceiling seem lower we love the height and with the big windows gives the cottage a bright airy feeling which we love Thanks again for the tips and advise.
0 Likes   January 14, 2014 at 3:29PM
motownmom
I love the coastal cottage look, and you have nailed it in that room. The floor is fabulous.

I think we all notice things that bug us more than others. I honestly don't look at that room and think "boy, that's a crummy ceiling". I look at it and love the choices you have made.

If it were mine, and it bothered me (which it doesn't), I'd do the beadboard paneling with crosswise faux beams to cover the seams. Not sure how much that would cost, but the paneling is much cheaper than individual boards in beadboard.
1 Like   Thanked by Karyn Jolink    January 14, 2014 at 3:39PM
Need budget minded designer for Boulder County new home
Local resident with 2 ac site in Boulder County looking...
Budget Minded Fixer
This is our cottage kitchen some early before /after...
Need ideas to decorate patio with low budget
I have always neglected our patio and thought with...
Budget an issue? Backsplash idea with a punch.
Easy DIY and great on the wallet - For this fresh country...
tv over fireplace
Is it ok to put a 65" tv over my fireplace/mantel when...
Hiding ugly retaining walls-Help!
Looking for low cost ideas to hide the ugly concrete...
Bathroom ideas
Adding a brand-new bathroom and trying to decide if...
I was given a painting that could be cool OR maybe it is totally lame?
It is an original Paris street scene by Antonio De...
living room question
I really like the modern look and can't figure out...