Need chandelier suggestion
hlarouty
I would like to update this room's chandelier but have had a problem coming up with ideas. It is an 11 x 10 front living/sitting room. More formal than our den. My style is very traditional, but I wouldn't be opposed to going a little modern. I have a traditional crystal chandelier in the adjacent dining room. My color scheme consists of reds, golds, browns, with blue accents. I have looked into the Sausalito chandelier from horchow, but the shade is stark white and the size seems a little big. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
TanCalGal
I like the chandelier, use a dimmer. Try the marble top table as the coffee table. 2 small antique needlepoint pillows repeating the colors of the rug on sofa. Pull plant & stand out from corner a bit. Try sconces on either side of mirror. Try 2 blue items on piano together on left side & Chinese sculpture on piano's right side or visa versa.
January 14, 2014 at 7:59pm     
happyasaclam
Are you looking for something about that same size? What wattage do you need?
January 14, 2014 at 8:04pm   
I think a black crystal chandelier would nod to the traditional, but a fresh take on it. Plus, the black would relate to the black piano. Sort of the "black candelabra" for it. Or, if you want a more modern twist, a black drum shade, with the traditional crystals. Either would be beautiful!
MODERN BLACK DRUM SHADE & CRYSTAL CEILING CHANDELIER PENDANT LIGHTNING FIXTUR...
JET BLACK CRYSTAL CHANDELIER LIGHTING H30" x W24"
January 14, 2014 at 9:07pm     
suzanne_m
Your table seems a bit too small for the current chandelier. I think the chandelier should not be wider then the table directly below. Do you see the other chandelier from this room. If, yes, can you post a picture because I think they should relate in some way.
January 14, 2014 at 9:12pm   
Steve Guadagnino III
Here are some options that i found for you and here is the link to view more options http://www.cjshearthandhome.com/interior-lighting-fixtures/

the last one there is expensive, but it is so beautiful! here is the link to that one if you are interested
http://www.cjshearthandhome.com/girona-43-light-chandelier/
January 15, 2014 at 12:32pm     
vjs12
What about a formal, crystal ceiling light instead of a chandelier?
January 15, 2014 at 12:56pm     
CJ's Home Decor & Fireplaces
Do you mean like this?
January 15, 2014 at 1:00pm     
happyasaclam
The Sausalito would work great! The color of the bulbs you choose will determine what type of light it gives off :)
January 15, 2014 at 1:33pm   
happyasaclam
The first one is similiar to the one you already have. And the second one is the Sausalito. Silk Scudo Saraceno Fortuny® Light.Sausalito Five-Light Chandelier
January 15, 2014 at 1:44pm     
January 15, 2014 at 2:24pm   
suzanne_m
This is the phtoshop of the Fredrick Ramond:
January 15, 2014 at 2:25pm        Thanked by hlarouty
I would match the chandeliers…

January 15, 2014 at 2:28pm     
happyasaclam
Could you post a picture of your dining room chandelier? :)
January 15, 2014 at 2:31pm     
hlarouty
Other views of room, adjacent dining room, dining room fixture, and view of den area.
The current pendant in the room in question was with the house when we moved in. Im looking to replace it and the foyer light
January 15, 2014 at 3:06pm   
hlarouty
Pictures continued
January 15, 2014 at 3:07pm     
hlarouty
By the way, my dining room table chairs are a work in progress. Still working on replacing those with antique ones that match table :-)
January 15, 2014 at 3:09pm   
hlarouty
Liked the needlepoint pillow idea. Any resource suggestions on that?
January 15, 2014 at 3:28pm   
suzanne_m
I like very much your chandelier in the dining room. There is one I have in mind that I think will go very well with that one, I will try to find it.
January 15, 2014 at 3:31pm        Thanked by hlarouty
TanCalGal
hiarouty:
Needlepoint pillows: You can check local antique shops, ebay, & esty. Some people get squeamish with the bedbug epidemics and do not want vintage pillows. I like the Jonathan Adler collection. The small pillows are around 100 dollars each. The "needlepoint" is not as nice as the hand needlepoint vintage pillows, but the colors and designs are a bit funky and add some pizzaz to the antique look. Repeat the colors in the rug. Red? Blue? How about the British flag 12x16, 110 dollars + SH. One might be enough, two can often look "cheap". ( BTW, I am in no way associated NAYY). http://www.jonathanadler.com/All-Pillows/?viewall=
January 15, 2014 at 3:52pm     
happyasaclam
What a gorgeous home!
January 15, 2014 at 3:58pm        Thanked by hlarouty
suzanne_m
This is not the one I thinking but I believe this one could be nice. Sorry for the poor photoshop, it does not show the real color. You can see the real color on the link below:

January 15, 2014 at 5:08pm     
hlarouty
What size would you recommend for the size of the room? 10x11
January 15, 2014 at 5:13pm   
the essentials inside
Uttermost:
http://www.essentialsinside.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_206_213&products_id=6013

Alicante 3 Light Orb Pendant Light Fixture
Fluted glass dome suspended metal arms finished in a lightly burnished warm silver.

Fine Points:
Designer: Carolyn Kinder
Dimensions: 36.5 H (in)
Weight: 22 lbs
Ships UPS or Freight: UPS

Shipping & Returns:
FREE ground shipping to continental U.S. and Canada**
Faster Shipping also available.
Returns are easy - 30 days, any reason.

**Free ground shipping to Canada includes Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia only. Canadian customers are responsible for broker fees and taxes.

Manufacturer:
This amazing piece is made by The Uttermost Company. Uttermost has been in business for almost 40 years and is proud to say it remains family owned and operated. Uttermost supports many of the most prestigious home-furnishing retailers in the world with its products and services. We are delighted to be able to offer its collections to our essentials inside customers.

Sue
www.Essentialsinside.com
January 15, 2014 at 6:29pm   
TanCalGal
A suggestion for the fireplace area: display only blue and white plates, white candles in candlesticks and paint the gold mirror frame white. Style the shelves a bit. Private Residences

A suggestion for the dining room. Paint the upper walls red. The blue and white dishes will look nice against the red walls. I'd probably keep the white chairs. They add an interesting balance to the antiques. Residential Interiors - Kansas City

I think I'd remove the tall chest from the hall. Have the blue and white pieces on the mantel and the bowl on one of the fireplace book shelves.
January 16, 2014 at 7:18am     
suzanne_m
I found the chandelier I thought would be nice. I did a photoshop with it and it does not look nice.
January 16, 2014 at 8:02am   
happyasaclam
I was looking at the picture that shows your hall and your sitting room fixtures. How about changing out the hall fixture to a style similar to the sitting room fixture style instead of changing the dining room fixture? Not necessarily the exact same fixture - just a similiar style? Going back to your original choice, the Sausalito. Put it in the hall.
January 16, 2014 at 8:34am   
vjs12
I still prefer the ceiling lights like the two gold/bronze ones CJ suggested. I would put a ceiling light in the foyer too and let the chandelier be center stage in the dining room. There are beautiful arches and windows in those two rooms which get blocked by the hanging chandeliers; that's what I see when I look at the pictures. Your home is beautiful!
January 16, 2014 at 8:39am   
January 16, 2014 at 8:48am   
hlarouty
The sausalito is way to big for the space I feel. It really over-powers the room. It stinks because it was what I "saw" in the space. Based on all feedback my brain is going crazy with tons of ideas but still really stuck on figuring out what I want in the sitting room space. Traditional vs. transitional
Now I'm leaning towards a Mellon jar or bell jar small entryway light, but if I did that what direction should I go in for the sitting room?
Ugh, how do you designers do it? This is hard work!!
January 18, 2014 at 8:30am     
hlarouty
Based on feedback, I've rethought my fireplace area mantle and bookshelf arrangement and this is what I've come up with so far. Ignore the left hand side, it's still in the works. Got tired last night and quit. :-)
January 18, 2014 at 8:37am     
happyasaclam
Don't give up yet! :) What is the width of the chandelier in your sitting room now? Mantel is looking great!
January 18, 2014 at 8:48am   
hlarouty
It's about 26". Way to big for this small space. To be honest I think the previous owners used the room as a dining room. This could explain the large decorative fixture which hangs very low for my little formal sitting room.
January 18, 2014 at 9:03am     
TanCalGal
Mantel: nice! I like the candlesticks the way you had originally (some on each side). I really like the blue and white items you placed + I think now the gold frame works better than the white frame would.
Shelves look good, too. I like the books or whatever they are (small boxes?) b/c they repeat the tone of the gold mirror frame. I'd have only blue and white in the shelves, no other pottery. I'd move some of the blue white items to the upper shelves. The blue-white will draw the eye up (always a good thing). The brown-goldish books or boxes seem heavier and heavier objects look better on the lower shelves. See the idea book link, she mentions this too. I really like the blue-white item sitting on the book, that's a nice touch. Maybe a few more books upright at the end of the shelves here & there, not every shelf.
You might try placing the red chairs in front of the book shelves angled toward the fireplace?
As far as the ceiling lamp in the sitting room, I still like it. Many decorators feel it is better to over scale an object than to under scale an object.
For hall, I'd choose a ceiling light that does not hang. I like CJ's lower left, providing you think it looks good with the chandeliers in the DR & sitting room

Ideabook: How to Arrange Shelves with Style

House 6
January 18, 2014 at 9:20am   
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
Lots of great ideas posted for you - I just have to say that your front doors are fabulous!
January 18, 2014 at 9:24am        Thanked by hlarouty
happyasaclam
Ah, that makes sense! I think you want to keep the sitting room and the foyer light from the same collection because you can look down the hall and see both at the same time. I looked to see if the Sausalito drum comes any smaller but it doesn't. The next size down is the 5 light semi-flush mount, but I think a 12" diameter would be too small. I love the idea of a drum light. They come as flashy or as plain as you want! :)
January 18, 2014 at 9:28am   
hlarouty
Well, I think my great procrastination attempt at finding the best lighting fixture is done. Mantle redo!! Thanks for the advice on the mantle and shelves. I liked the suggestion about the chairs turned around, but it is an awkward walk through space so I'm not sure that will work. I'll attach pic.
January 18, 2014 at 11:10am     
happyasaclam
Love the mantel and the shelves. They look great!
January 18, 2014 at 11:14am     
LB Interiors
A chandelier with some crystals.
January 18, 2014 at 11:15am   
LB Interiors
I like your current dining chairs. I like the contrast in color and the two styles. They brighten the room. I would keep them.
January 18, 2014 at 11:21am   
LB Interiors
I like the new arrangement for the fireplace mantle. Good job!
January 18, 2014 at 11:22am     
Designs by Pjetur
I would go for the Jonathan Adler Meurice 42 bulb in brass - classic updated look - I have one available too!
January 18, 2014 at 11:38am   
TanCalGal
Mantel: Try arranging all the candlesticks next to the mirror & place blue items on both ends. I try different looks and step back and try to be objective, sometimes live with it a day. I find it helpful to snap a photo and look at that, too. Looking at a photo seems to help my objectivity.

Shelves: good job. I'd remove the brown pottery and have only blue and white on the shelves. Try 2 of the group of 4 books, somewhere on the other side. Maybe place 2 books on the lowest left shelf to left of photo frame. I like the photos in frames scattered here and there in the shelves, they give a warm fuzzy feeling.

I meant the red chairs with their backs to the book shelf & fireplace surround and angled toward the fireplace?
January 18, 2014 at 11:44am   
Need suggestions for contemporary chandelier appropriate for tall diners
I have a extendable dining table (to 120") over which...
Need Budget-Friendly Chandelier Suggestion
Our Denver home was built in 1895 and so there are...
Chandelier fixated. Need suggestions.
Attached here are layout for living , , dining and...
Need Chandelier Suggestions
We need a moderately priced chandelier for our new...
Total bathrooms remodel... both bathrooms!
I am completely redoing both the upstairs and main...
Kitchen cabinet closings
We just paid a fair amount of money for a kitchen ....
Curb Appeal for a Brick Rambler
Hey Everyone! My hubby and I just bought this brick...
Shower curtain
Where can I find this style shower curtain.
Need help for my dinning room area
I need help giving modern look to my dinning room area!...