How to pick the correct color honeycomb shade?
libratravel
January 14, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I have major sun issues and am in the process of getting some honeycombs for my kitchen to filter the sunlight. Will choosing a darker toned shade make a difference?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mfwolfe
The darker tone will only change the color that results from the sun shining through the shade. I believe the manufacturers websites tell you the light filtering capabilities of the various shades. I know Home Depot has those details on their in store displays.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 9:49AM
PRO
Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
I would consider a few things
1. Assume this window faces west , which is the most problematic of sun exposures to address. I would : A. plant a 6'-7' scrub or tree just outside the window to mitigate the suns exposure and help filter the light. (low cost treatment) B. consider a more architecture treatment such as wood plantation shutters on the bottom of the window and softer drapery ( traditional on rod hanging down with valance or Austrian balloon shades in a printed fabric )to help filter the ( high) sunlight. The shutters would make it easier to address light coming in ( pleated shades or either up or down and lack the variations that shutters provide. As for color hard to tell what you have going on . Generally avoid the darker colors as the contrast could jump out and make the room seem smaller - white shutters and caramel drapery could work.or if there is a lack of warmth in the room use stained wood shutters and a lighter fabric with med. pattern.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 10:05AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I personally would pick the one that aesthetically looks the best with your fabric and walls. Then you generally can get a higher degree of light filtration as suggested above.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Spotty ceiling?
Our new to us home has a walk in master closet that...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
House plans
Looking for a house plan. But we can't find anything...
"What Chairs Would You Use" OR "How to Marry Chairs with Table"?
Since the table and chairs are both french and have...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™