Arch window cutout ideas please!
Brittany Scales
I am seeking some ideas of how to decorate this window opening that my apartment has as part of it's living room. Currently, I have a desk sitting underneath the opening (as can be seen in the third photo when I was first moving things in--sorry for the mess). And the last photo is what it looked like as of last weekend, but now that it's no longer Christmas, I am stumped. I would love to incorporate lighting and/or lanterns/candles in some way, or maybe even some bamboo. But any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!
I actually like it bare. But, I'd move the desk to line up with the left side of the opening, then put a tall buffet style lamp that is visible from both sides...sort of left edge. A lamp like this one. If it's still too low, add a couple hard bound books to raise the lamp up a bit.

1 Like   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 14, 2014 at 9:54PM
suzanne_m
I would leave it bare too. If you can, have an art or something decorative on the back wall of your living and place it in a way that it looks center when standing in your hallway in front of your arch.
0 Likes   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 14, 2014 at 10:43PM
PirateFoxy
If you really want to add something, can you put in hooks for hanging things in the top of the arch? If so, you could do that and hang some decorative lanterns in the opening. That way you don't totally close it off, and it's attractive from both sides.
1 Like   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 14, 2014 at 10:53PM
LB Interiors
I wouldn't put anything on the ledge. If you are keeping the desk there, I would move it to the right, centered to that wall. Fill the wall above the right side of the desk with a collage of photos. Add a lamp, but not in front of the arch opening. A few stacked books.
0 Likes   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 14, 2014 at 11:50PM
Rina
I think this is a neat opportunity to bring in a touch of period ornamentation into your streamlined environment. Not sure of the practicality of wiring it up, though. You might also find a modern light that would work -- but I think it would need to be something with an interesting shape.
http://www.lumens.com/mini-pendants/?prefn1=Style&prefv1=Classic%20%26%20Traditional
0 Likes   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 15, 2014 at 12:28AM
Steve Guadagnino III
I think this would be perfect for what you are looking for. its subtle, but still adds that little flair to set the mood. http://www.cjshearthandhome.com/sterling-contemporary-6-candle-holder/
It also gives you that height to close the space a little without sacrificing you view.
3 Likes   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 15, 2014 at 12:09PM
mpoulsom
You could also treat it just like a window........either putting curtain panels on each side or a roll-up bamboo blind or something. You could lower it if you wanted to, or keep it half open, etc.

I like steve's candelabra idea above too.

If you wanted you could just do varying heights and shapes of candlesticks with candles sitting across the ledge. Could be interesting.......
2 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 12:17PM
mpoulsom
Rina and someone else I think suggested hanging something..........look at Moroccan hanging lanterns.......they are inexpensive and you could hang maybe 3 at varying heights or just one big one.

you could also look for a piece of stained glass that is arched and hang inside of it from chains.
1 Like   Thanked by Brittany Scales    January 15, 2014 at 12:22PM
Brittany Scales
mpoulsom, love those lanterns! That's what I was originally thinking. I do love the stained glass idea as well. Thank you!
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 12:38PM
mpoulsom
you are very welcome brittany! wasn't sure what your style was, but i love those lanterns too! and anything that is artsy and architectural!
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 1:12PM
sunnydrew
I would leave it plain.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 1:32PM
Belle Chaise
I vote for "as is", also.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 2:18PM
mpoulsom
Arched louvered shutters in a fun color or stained wood......just throwing out options here.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 3:17PM
hayleydaniels
I like the idea of curtains or shutters.

If you have a green thumb, you might put ivy around it the way you did with the evergreen in your Christmas picture.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 3:47PM
MyCraftWork, LLC
A small pendant would look lovely!
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 1:34PM
Is the window shape standard with a cutout fitted to look arched?
I am quite facinated by the detail on the window. It...
Robyn Eisler
Arched windows need help with ideas.
I'm looking for ideas for window treatments for my...
casindp
Arch window treament ideas and info needed
so excited to find this site. MBR has a huge window...
karen321
any ideas for large bedroom window with a 48x48elongated arch.
Need privacy but want the top arch area to be able...
jst4sun
My livingroom needs help! Bay windows opposite fireplace challence...
We bought a house with a big livingroom where we would...
krickelina
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Living Room Arrangement Help
We are looking for advice on how to make our living...
sazak
Needing help picking out wall color
Hi everyone! What color walls would you use that can...
spring920
Need help in finding this backsplash
I have been searching for this backsplash and can't...
willis2834q