Family room arrangement, high mantle
edmarystewart
I would love some advice on this room. First, we chose not to put the TV over the fireplace so we may put it on the wall. Big matching chair and ottoman (matching the couch) also on the left. Would that be too much of the same material? I could put a throw and pillows to break it all up.

Second dilemma, the mantle (I think) is too high. Would it be worth it to chisel down the stone and lower the mantle? I also considered building a slightly smaller lower beam that may help create visual balance and make the mantle appear lower. Would also be great for hanging stockings at Christmas. Any thoughts, tips and ideas are greatly appreciated. I've struggled with this room for a while now!
edmarystewart
We are also planning to hang a large orb chandelier for lighting in this room. Fireplace is wired for sconces so that is also an option.
January 14, 2014 at 11:16pm   
LB Interiors
I think you can float the chair into the room on the left side of the TV. far enough away from the door. Add a table next to the chair. Placed away from the dining room a bit for viewable TV. The sofa and chair next to each other are cramped.
Or ... move the sofa into the room to watch TV, facing the fireplace at an angle to the Fireplace. Will that work? Move the chair where the sofa is now.
January 14, 2014 at 11:24pm      Thanked by edmarystewart
edmarystewart
Thank you! I have considered moving the sofa into the room and putting a chair in the corner but the couch is 113" and the back of the sofa may be too long to be exposed. This couch in the picture has a chaise on the end. Some day, I'd like to fill in that window on the back wall and put a TV and possible built-ins on the back wall. I have also considered doing very shallow built-ins to the left of the yellow doors to house the TV.
January 15, 2014 at 12:03am   
LB Interiors
Can you separate the chaise or is it attached?
January 15, 2014 at 12:11am   
LB Interiors
I think the mantle is at a good height with the room's very tall walls.
January 15, 2014 at 12:12am   
edmarystewart
You do?? Okay, I kind of needed to hear that! I have been tormenting myself over this mantle! The chaise can be separated but then we lose an arm to the couch. We have 4 kids so lots of comfy seating to lounge, watch movies and play games is important. I really appreciate your help and ideas. Thank you!,
January 15, 2014 at 12:29am   
LB Interiors
You're welcome. Maybe you can move the chaise where I mentioned before, floating. Then get some bean bag chairs for the chaise side of the sofa, if you want something different. If you leave it the way it is, I think you need a storage coffee table or an upholstered one, if the children are quite young. Don't want them to get hurt.
January 15, 2014 at 12:36am   
LB Interiors
To help the scale of the high mantle, I would use some tall large sculptures and/or plants on the hearth. Large candlesticks on one side, a sculpture or stack of trunks on the other side, that will fit. Large decorative hat boxes or any boxes for toy storage, games etc. About as tall as the firebox.
January 15, 2014 at 12:39am      Thanked by edmarystewart
edmarystewart
I was thinking a tall lantern? Candle sticks are lovely too.
January 15, 2014 at 5:53am     
Living Room & Family Room Into one room, how to arrange furniture?
We would like to knock down the wall between the formal...
Help with Family Room/Great Room- furniture arrangment
I'm having a difficult time trying to arrange the furniture...
How high is the mantle in this room
I'm curious to see if there is an application where...
Furniture arrangement for 15'x15' family room area?
I have a great room which includes kitchen, dining,...
Dryer vent/pipe keeps clogging
Anyone have any at site appreciate it : lastnight I...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Need to brighten up dull kitchen
Moved in a year ago and now want to brighten up our...
Need help with layout of living room/dining room area in condo.
Moved from house to condo 15 years ago. Now feeling...
Exterior house colours
Our home's locale experiences green summers and white...