paint color flow from room to room
hershal2cal
we are building a new home and I love muted color. thinking of Sherwin Williams: Cottage Cream, Sea Salt and Ancient Marble throughout the home. do you think these colors have the same intensity and dirty/clean feel which will flow harmoniously? I haven't selected the fixed elements yet but want an idea of my palette when I do. I plan to go with the right white tones for cabinets, trim and a med brown tone hardwood.
sunnydrew
Would you be kind enough to explain "dirty/clean feel" to me? I have never heard that before.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 7:57AM
hershal2cal
When I say "clean" I mean clear, fresh colors and "dirty" are more neutralized and "grayed down". A clean color next to a more neutralized color will make the neutralized color look dirty. Check out Maria Killam's blog. The wrong mix has always bugged me but I never knew why until I started following her blog.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 8:02AM
trebinje
Sea Salt and Ancient Marble are the same intensity, but Cottage Cream is more saturated and, to my eye, doesn't harmonize with the other two because of its gold/yellow undertone.

The combo of Sea Salt and Ancient Marble is beautiful. And the combo of Ancient Marble and Cottage Cream is nice. But I don't see all three flowing together that well.

Cottage Cream being the 'odd man out', look for a substitution, perhaps looking at the color strips between Sea Salt and Ancient Marble ... something in that range and of same intensity.

Or, maybe the third color isn't so much of a color as an off-white that compliments the other two.
0 Likes   Thanked by hershal2cal    January 15, 2014 at 8:08AM
hershal2cal
Thank you! I had a bad feeling about Cottage Cream. I am looking for a color that "reads yellow" but doesn't scream yellow to use with the Sea salt and Ancient Marble. Any ideas for me? I really appreciate the feedback!
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 8:13AM
hershal2cal
Would make it easier if I gave the numbers . . . SW 6204 = Sea Salt; SW 6162 = Ancient Marbled; SW 7678 = Cottage Cream. Thinking Cottage Cream is out. How about SW 6134 Netsuke instead?
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 8:23AM
trebinje
Let's post these so everyone can jump in ... pick a third color to harmonize with Sea Salt and Ancient Marble .... recognizing that everyone's monitors will render differently ...

Sea Salt SW6204 Paint
Ancient Marble
Linen White 912 by Benjamin Moore
Cottage Cream
Netsuke
0 Likes   Thanked by hershal2cal    January 15, 2014 at 8:43AM
Lion Windows and Doors
Cottage Cream will look nice
0 Likes   Thanked by hershal2cal    January 15, 2014 at 8:44AM
trebinje
What about BM Linen White to sub for SW Cottage Cream? It's a rich, warm off-white with yellow undertone. Linen White is on the walls in this serene bedroom.
Amagansett Beach Retreat
Linen White 912 by Benjamin Moore
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 4:19PM
hershal2cal
Thank you. that is a great idea that I will keep in mind. My problem is that hubby has always wanted a yellow kitchen and I have yet to do it! Thought I should try this time.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 5:28PM
vjs12
Looking at the SW deck of colors, SW6127 Ivoire or SW6120 Believable Buff goes well with Ancient Marble & Sea Salt.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 6:26PM
hershal2cal
Thank you! I will take a look at Ivorie. That still looks like a muted yellow.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 6:54PM
hershal2cal
I think linen white is going to win! The three colors together gives the serene feel I am looking for. Thanks to all for your help.
0 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 9:39AM
robbarkhouse
Have a look at Benjamin Moore's "Color Stories" collection. It's a collection of 240 colors that are made without any black or gray tint. I've used a few of them in my apt. and they appear "clean" no matter the lighting conditions, or time of day/night.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 3:19AM
I'd like a good color flow from dining room to living room
I have an adjoining dining room and living room. I...
Colors to flow from room to room
I have a small home with 3 BRs. The MBR is painted...
A question about color flowing from room to room
I have a question about color. If there is greenish...
Color flow from living room to dining room
It is an open space where the dining room can be seen...
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...
tv over fireplace
Is it ok to put a 65" tv over my fireplace/mantel when...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
I was given a painting that could be cool OR maybe it is totally lame?
It is an original Paris street scene by Antonio De...
Exterior colour
We are wanting to paint our house a more modern. All...