Picture Frame
JaimeS
Hi,

I had this beautiful pencil portrait done of my horse Uno recently and I love it! It captures his personality perfectly.

The drawing was done on an A3 piece of paper; it's a difficult size to find a picture frame for as the largest I've found (except for a cheap clip on see through sheet on board), is 10x8 inch.

Could anyone help with ideas on where to find a suitable frame, that also looks good? It will be mounted in either the hall (Farrow & Ball shaded white), or office (F&B Wimborne White).

Many thanks,

Jaime
HI -- I think this picture deserves a matt and a proper frame from a framing shop - not off the rack . I think a distressed leather frame with a cream colored matt . Get some prices at some framing shops and or Art and crafts stores that have frames and a framing service . Michael's is one place you could try. Beautiful portrait !
2 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 8:25AM
JaimeS
Thank you, I think we have similar thoughts as my first idea was to find maybe a pale distressed wooden painted frame. Something quite chunky. I was surprised that I couldn't find something in this size off the shelf. You are right, it does deserve something a little different :)
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 9:06AM
OnePlan
My friend has similar sketch of her horse - she had them mounted with a small photograph of the horse cut into the mount ! Looked really smart ! Might be worth considering too maybe ?!?
0 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 11:17AM
bobmi
I do pencil sketches and have done one of my daughter's horse " Weatherly". I will not get into choice, color of framing, but a matte around the outside can get you to a standard frame size. I have used curved setback cloth matte that really accents the sketch. Also I would recommend putting museum glass over the sketch - no glare and it helps save the contrast of the pencil sketch and reduces problems with it getting soft looking, A little pricey, but well worth it. Nicely done sketch.
0 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 11:43AM
JaimeS
bobmi, where did you get the standard frame from? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference? I'll pass your compliment to my friend Alice, who did the sketch - she's only 16 and so talented. OnePlan, that's something I would never have thought about. This is the original photograph...
2 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 11:49AM
alwaysdesigning
Michael's (or Hobby Lobby) is a great place to get a custom frame made; watch for sales or coupons. Good luck
0 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 11:49AM
halfpint2
Try dickblickartsupply.com They have some beautiful 8 X 10 frames and every color matboard you can imagine.
0 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 11:51AM
JaimeS
halfpint2, it would be too small unfortunately - A3 is approximately 17" x 12".
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 12:00PM
OnePlan
it's a fab likeness !! beautiful sketch !! worthy of a fine frame and mount ! get something that you know you will love for years to come rather than something trendy !! this is one pic you won't tire of !!
I'm in Dorset - too far away to recommend any of my contacts !
0 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 12:05PM
JaimeS
OnePlan, thank you - Uno is my pride and joy :). I might be being dim, but what do you mean by mount?
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 12:20PM
bobmi
I am in Michigan, possibly our standard frame of 14 inches x 18 inches would work with a matte around it. there are a lot of places on the internet. Jerry's Artorama, Dick Blick, Michaels's, JoAnn Fabrfics that are locally to me. Possibly you have others places available to you with free shipping. The museum glass is a must.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 1:11PM
bobmi
Other standard frame sizes for Michigan are 20 x 24 inches, 16 x 20 inches, 14 x 18 inches, 11 x 14 inches, 10 x 12 inches, 8 x 10 inches. If you look under Oil painting frames on the internet. Usually locally you can find art/ oil painting shop that specialize - I use Creative Corners in Romeo, Mi. Good Luck finding a frame to fit your needs.
0 Likes   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 1:33PM
JaimeS
That's helpful, thank you. Didn't think about googling oil painting frames, just looked at photo frames.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 1:49PM
OnePlan
the mount is the cardboard that's cut with an angled edge around your picture !
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 1:55PM
hayleydaniels
Your picture is beautiful as is your horse!

I agree about taking it to a craft store or other place that does custom framing as this is going to be a piece you're going to want to keep for years to come.

You might check out allposters.com as they do custom framing, but I don't know if they could build you a frame, and cut a matt for you or not. I don't know if their prices are any better than you'd find locally either. Just a thought...
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 1:56PM
bbarick
Beautiful horse!
1 Like   Thanked by JaimeS    January 15, 2014 at 2:05PM
JaimeS
Lol, thanks OnePlan - if you don't ask, you might never know, haha!

Thank you hayleydaniels. There are some lovely independent craft stores in a village called Uppermill, not far from me. It's worth an afternoon out.

Must say, this is the first time I've posted for advice on here and really grateful for all the ideas. Wish I'd done more of it when decorating my house, but I'm still pleased with it - we are on the final leg now with all the finishing touches :-).
2 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 2:07PM
mollygirl201
I have a perfect frame that I'm selling. The watercolor is being sold but the buyer doesn't want the frame. It resembles grey barn wood, has a charcoal mat now and a tiny copper inset around the picture itself. I can post a picture if you would be interested. And, being new to this site, I don't know if selling is legal.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 2:10PM
yvonnecmartin
I have had wonderful luck with the following site: http://www.framedestination.com/

You design the mat and frame to whatever dimensions you want. There are many choices of mats and frames. You can also order the glass if you like.

This is much less expensive than custom framing. You do have to do a little work by measuring carefully and then assembling the frame, but even for someone not very adept, it was very easy.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 2:19PM
bobmi
Here is picture of "Wellington" I did with standard framing glass a while back before I started using museum glass in front which gives no reflection and protects from UV rays - please look carefully and see the reflections with no lights on in kitchen of my daughters horse. Please spend the money on museum glass.
2 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 7:24PM
JaimeS
Wow, that's gorgeous! What breed is Wellington? Uno is a Dutch warmblood :).
0 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 1:03AM
Curb appeal nightmare
Curb appeal needed. This is the street facing view...
joannelit
I need help with a new color for my 1958 cottage
Bought this adorable 816 sq. ft cottage on 9 acres...
smluv
New Bathroom dilema
I am doing new bathroom, think will go for black ceramic...
meteiny
Wallpaper or paint?
All these decorations will be removed anyway. So,...
zangiex3