Navy or no???
nmsg
This front room is so pretty, but we never use it. I love navy and was thinking classic navy. leaning toward Glidden's Rich Navy (the 3rd one in the pics) with new coffee table/end tables/lamps/rug - hopefully gold accents. The couch stays for now, no white couches with 3 kids and a dog. Will I regret painting this room such a dark color? doesn't get a ton of light, but again, really doesn't get any use either. I am SO INDECISIVE with design....can anyone help???
jck910
Love navy, also. Just painted my dining room BM abyss. I was going with BM evening dove (it was 1 up on the card) but was talked into doing the abyss and I am so glad I did. Navy is very hard to get dark on walls. With your white trim it will be beautiful. How about putting couch on wall opposite fireplace?
January 15, 2014 at 1:04pm        Thanked by nmsg
khillen
I had a designer recommend navy for my family room. I was afraid to do it so lived with a three foot square of it for a month. I went for it and loved it. I like your darkest colour!
January 15, 2014 at 1:07pm      Thanked by nmsg
movethisnotthat
your blue might just the ticket here to add drama to the room. Love the white wood trim ! White frames on the pictures and or white matting on them. White throw, blue and white pillows and a rug to tie it all together. You have a nice room. can you add setting to face the fireplace ? mirrors will help throw some light around the room too.
January 15, 2014 at 1:08pm        Thanked by nmsg
cltaylor11
How about painting the navy in the inset part of the ceiling and then add art and pillows/rug in the same tones. The room has great bones.
January 15, 2014 at 1:10pm      Thanked by nmsg
With your built-in bookcases, navy will turn this into a charming study/library and the dark color will be very conducive to self-absorbed activities like reading and studying. Replace the sofa with a library table and pair of chairs, a chaise and a reading chair by the FP. Jamie Snavley Eco-Friendly Tuscan Estate Camelia Court
January 15, 2014 at 1:11pm        Thanked by nmsg
dee072
You may want to consider just painting an accent wall navy rather than the entire room. The wall that your sofa is on would look great. Sherwin Williams has a color called "Naval" that may work. Good luck!
January 15, 2014 at 1:11pm     
nmsg
Thanks y'all, I didn't even fluff or fix the pillows for the pics! ha! I did get a nice bronze/gold sunburst mirror that I thought maybe I could put on wall b/w bookcases with a console under. I do like the idea of couch on that wall as well....could put the mirror above fireplace? All that stuff on fireplace is just stacked there b/c I don't know where to put that either!
January 15, 2014 at 1:14pm     
cltaylor11
Some examples
January 15, 2014 at 1:16pm     
nmsg
love the idea of library table, too. and Naval is the one on it's own on the left wall, last color. it was my friend's sample and it was glossy and maybe too inky? the first two blues turned out too royal I thought.
January 15, 2014 at 1:16pm   
nmsg
Would these chairs work? Was thinking about them today... https://www.jossandmain.com/Furniture-Under-%24300-Asha-Accent-Chair~SKY5941~E8449.html
January 15, 2014 at 1:22pm     
hollyhw
I am more of a neutral gal when it comes to wall color except in rooms where there is not a lot of natural light. Go with that fact and make the room more intimate with a dramatic color like navy. I love Benjamin Moore's Newburyport Blue. I think your ceiling kept the existing color would look great too. You could add a woven wood blind to the window(s), move the couch as stated in the previous comment and even add a geometric wall paper in another shade of blue and white or gold to the back of the bookcases. Gold accents would be beautiful with it. A rug would soften the room too. Good Luck!
January 15, 2014 at 1:23pm      Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Looked at this rug as well, or something more classic kilm look like above poster? https://www.jossandmain.com/Fashionable-Floors-Mina-Rug~NLO9293~E8378.html
January 15, 2014 at 1:25pm   
January 15, 2014 at 1:29pm     
studio10001
Like both your choices, but perhaps not together, due to similar pattern scale. The kilim would make a good pick w almost anything.
January 15, 2014 at 1:33pm      Thanked by nmsg
studio10001
Chair and rug, that was referring to. :)
January 15, 2014 at 1:36pm      Thanked by nmsg
hollyhw
like the coffee table, go with a kilim or oriental rug.
January 15, 2014 at 1:38pm   
tennisanyone
I'm in the minority here but does this room open up to other rooms? What will "relate" this color scheme into the rest of the house?
January 15, 2014 at 1:58pm   
studio10001
Accents and unified moldings. :)
January 15, 2014 at 2:00pm   
carolins
SW Naval
January 15, 2014 at 2:12pm     
carolins
:-)
January 15, 2014 at 2:18pm        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Here is a shot to show you what is on other side of this room, the entryway/dining room. Dining room recently painted and needs finishing with art/curtains/etc. Not even sure if I love the color...anyway...the rest of downstairs is SW "golden wheat" color you can see in hall and what is currently in front room I'm considering the navy for.
January 15, 2014 at 2:32pm   
nmsg
That helps so much to see carolins!!! So what do you all think???
January 15, 2014 at 2:33pm     
studio10001
Love it, but that is immaterial - what do YOU think?
January 15, 2014 at 2:46pm   
nmsg
I think I might love it as well:) It's only paint, right? (don't tell my husband that who does the painting) haha
January 15, 2014 at 2:52pm     
Studio NOO Design
Love the last one !
January 15, 2014 at 3:04pm      Thanked by nmsg
happyasaclam
How about this one!
January 15, 2014 at 3:53pm      Thanked by nmsg
tennisanyone
Honestly, now that I see the dining room, I would not paint the LR navy if it were my house. I would pick a shade or two darker then the DR on the same chart so it makes color sense and not just a random color OR repaint the DR to a lighter shade of navy.
January 15, 2014 at 7:17pm        Thanked by nmsg
imhofan
I agree with above; navy can be awesome but with dining color, it won't relate/flow. I would try some darker tones from DR as rec'd above and try navy and aqua accessories. I would reposition the couch to face fireplace and since not used much, consider a washable white linen slipcover so kids/dog and all can enjoy.
January 15, 2014 at 8:37pm     
Ashley D
I'd say go for it. Or paint one wall navy and get rid of the yellow paint with a white maybe. If you keep everything else in the room lighter with bright white or gold... it will work
January 15, 2014 at 8:46pm     
carolins
I love the navy for your front room. I think one of the reasons it is never used is because it doesn't really look furnished. Adding rug and two chairs will give it a cozier and more inviting look. Love the overstock lamps you picked.

The light blue in your dining area looks a bit wishy washy. It would be lovely if you could repeat the navy blue there too. I'm thinking navy rug and paintings with navy blue in it flanking the hutch. And the dining room rug could maybe work in your front room?
January 16, 2014 at 1:14am     
carolins
...
January 16, 2014 at 1:41am     
Thos. Baker
It's a beautiful color 'Navy Blue' and you can sure go for it . You could give 'teal blue' a shot too!
It would be nicer if you could limit the use of blue to one wall only; the one with the sofa. Rest of the walls could have a warm silver grayish color or even a patterned wallpaper.
The photo collage you have at present will go in perfectly with a blue.
For the adjoining walls( silver gray ones) you could get in some artwork with bold strokes of blue and a touch of ochre.
I am attaching a few images (got them off hand on google!) to illustrate what i mean.

Ar.Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos. Baker
January 16, 2014 at 4:24am        Thanked by nmsg
Thos. Baker
Another few images to suggest wallpapers and the wallpaper color combo.

Ar. Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos.Baker
January 16, 2014 at 4:26am     
Thos. Baker
A few suggestions for the cushions....

Ar.Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos.Baker
January 16, 2014 at 4:36am   
Thos. Baker
And rugs....

January 16, 2014 at 4:43am   
sabineledieu
Go for the navy. Drama of the dark walls with the white or cream trim will be beautiful. Let go of the beige and live with the bold. It's only paint and it's easy and cheap to redo if you get sick of it.
January 16, 2014 at 4:50am      Thanked by nmsg
karolcoopdesign
You have a lovely living. I think that to reinforce the navy style and to highlight your fireplace you could combine with a cowhide rug. Take a look to this photo of a cowhide next to the fireplace: http://www.cowhiderugcentre.com/marbled-in-reddish-tones-and-white-details-cowhide-rug.html
January 16, 2014 at 5:19am        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Thank you to all who have commented - it helps as much as it still confuses me! I really like the navy and wonder if the problem is the dining room color/rug? The dining room looks more grounded with that darker blue rug carolins posted in above, no? Would that room look better painted a different color? Should I just paint everything a freaking creamy white and be done with it? haha! I wish I wasn't design schizo!
January 16, 2014 at 7:32am   
hollyhw
If it is more of an open floor plan where your dining and entry are part of the LR, then I would not go with the navy. With that being said, darken the blue in the dining and keep the golden wheat everywhere else-I really like the golden wheat. Again, I would accent the back of the bookcases-wallpaper or paint(great way to bring in color that is not so in your face) Looking at your dining and entry, a nod to nautical would definitely work in the LR. You could go with a sisal, seagrass or jute rug and pop with your golds, navies, even a little red. When it doubt keep it simple!
January 16, 2014 at 9:24am        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
So for those who agree that the paint needs changed in the dining room - do you have any suggestions? I am so not good at this!
January 16, 2014 at 1:10pm   
happyasaclam
Would you consider going with the Gentleman's Gray I posted earlier, then going with a medium gray in the dining room in a shade that goes with both the Gentleman's Gray and the Golden Wheat? It would probably mean getting a new dining room rug.
January 16, 2014 at 1:34pm     
tennisanyone
It is hard to pick a color on here. Go to the paint store and bring samples home of the navy colors and see what you like. You probably have some already. I'm sorry if I threw a wrench into your painting the LR navy and now you will have to repaint the DR too if you go that route, but I feel that you will be happier in the end. You have an open concept home and I would hate to see you do something that will not be attractive just because you want to paint. Navy is a beautiful color and hot this year. You have to think about the whole plan, not just one room.
January 16, 2014 at 1:37pm        Thanked by nmsg
Angelo Design
I would suggest adding navy accents to the room instead of navy walls. A navy area rug, lamps, and pillows with navy in it will be plenty of color. The current trend with open floor plans such as yours, where you can see the foyer, dining room, and living room call for one color such as your golden wheat or another neutral color, throughout all three rooms. The color is added then, in the seat cushions of your dining room chairs, accent pillows in the living room, area rugs, draperies, and artwork. This will give you the color you are searching for. Don't get me wrong, I love color! However, open floor plans like yours don't allow for three different colors. If your rooms were separated with doors, color away! Try this "neutralizing" effect on the walls and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!
January 16, 2014 at 1:39pm      Thanked by nmsg
Dee Kelley
Here is a picture of a dark blue with blue furnishings. Going lighter with the accessories will keep the blue from being so dark. Of course, dark colors are the fashion trend this year. Interested in seeing the final out come, betting it will be beautiful. Of course, some accessories in another color besides blue will be nice, too.
January 16, 2014 at 1:54pm        Thanked by nmsg
carolins
The problem is that everybody has an opinion here. I've tried to show you what you could do, but nobody can tell you what you should do :-)
My opinion is: paint the front room navy blue, add a navy blue rug to the dining room. Unless you don't like the look of it in the mock-ups I did.
In another thread someone mentioned she had heart palpitations when they were painting their son's nautical themed room navy blue, but now it is her favourite room in the house. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/807798/HELP-----Want-to-surprise-my-husband-w--a

Here's in interesting photo of two linked rooms in different colours, see how they've used the colour to link the rooms while they both have their own personality.
January 16, 2014 at 2:18pm     
carolins
Follow the link under that 'Home' photo, it will lead you to more photos of that house.
January 16, 2014 at 2:21pm     
nmsg
Carolins, that is helpful to see as well. THanks for your input. I did really like the navy rug you posted - do you know where it is from? I still love the IDEA of navy, but I don't want to do anything to make the rooms not look like they flow together. We originally picked the dining room rug to tie in the hutch, and didn't want to do anything to serious and stuffy. That room mostly gets used for lego building! Just want pretty rooms that aren't too overdone, but it feels like everything is lacking personality or ways to tie things together. This just isn't one of my gifts. I sincerely appreciate EVERYONE's advice on here. I admire the way you all can just look at something and have an opinion because I can't decide! :)
January 16, 2014 at 2:27pm     
carolins
Just trying to prove the point that you don't have to paint every wall the same colour because you can see from one space into the other ;-)
Shingle Style Living room
Talcott Pines
January 16, 2014 at 2:28pm     
carolins
You're very welcome :-)
I think I picked the navy rug from the Homedecorators website. Either that or Overstock.
January 16, 2014 at 2:37pm     
studio10001
I am in complete agreement. It makes great sense to change the colour of rooms that can be seen simultaneously, both to provide a better sense of depth and interest, and to help draw the eye through the space. White molding throughout is giving continuity, as is keeping the colours complimentary to eachother. I think the overdyed carpet is a great choice as well- if that idea doesn't work out for some reason, the same or a muted navy in paint or wallpaper would tie the dining and living areas together. Here are dining rooms that used it on the ceiling:
January 16, 2014 at 4:40pm        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Ok, so who lives in Charlotte, NC that can come over here and help me?? :-)
January 17, 2014 at 4:35am     
carolins
lol... I'd be happy to come over, but I'm going to paint my own hallway this weekend. And I'm not anywhere near you. Not even on the same continent ;-) Otherwise...

Does this mean that you're taking the plunge? Will you keep us up-to-date?
January 17, 2014 at 7:22am     
Angelo Design
I live in Illinois, however, I might suggest looking up a local pro on the Houzz.com website and find a local interior designer that could come over for a consultation. You might be surprised how reasonable it can cost and how helpful it can be! Look for a designer with a degree in Interior Design for the best results.
January 17, 2014 at 8:05am   
susanb92
Here is another point of view...I am not a designer! My mom painted our living room a dark blue 60 years ago. The trim and drapes are white and the floor is oak hard wood. The vibe in the room is casual, comfortable and inviting. Give it a try...you can always paint again if you don't like it (though painting over a dark color will be more labor intensive).
January 17, 2014 at 12:11pm     
cltaylor11
Just stumbled upon this pic on Bassett furniture website....
January 17, 2014 at 12:18pm     
bubblyjock
Did you find the perfect dark blue yet? Just in case, here's Farrow & Ball's classic, Drawing Room Blue:
January 17, 2014 at 12:21pm     
bubblyjock
@ carolins - you are SO good at this - just wanted to say! I don't know how you get items into images, and/or change wall colours, but it's a wonderful talent.
January 17, 2014 at 12:24pm     
carolins
Aw bubblyjock, thank you :-) Really, as with all things, if you know how to do it, it isn't difficult. But thank you for saying that. Smiling like a Cheshire cat now :-)
January 17, 2014 at 12:43pm     
nmsg
I like the drawing room blue too and I have a swatch of the above Indigo Batik and liked it as well. Maybe I will get those samples and the gentleman's gray that an another poster suggested. I also moved the couch to see what that would look like and pulled out the mirror that I have that I either want to hang on wall bw bookcases or above mantel.
January 17, 2014 at 1:24pm     
Malcolm Duffin Design
Love the idea of Navy , I use it allot , classic way to add atmosphere, be mindful its a traditional late 17th early 19th century but can be very dark at night and needs sharp white woodwork and ceilings , the far right above mirror looks good but try to add a little sheen ,glaze in it so its not to dead and flat in poor lighting. It stunning with candles and mirrors, I will try and attach some images from a recent job to see if this helps.
January 18, 2014 at 7:10am     
Malcolm Duffin Design
Study I did nearly 15 years ago hope you can see
January 18, 2014 at 7:14am        Thanked by nmsg
carolins
Love that study Malcolm Duffin Design. Very nice atmosphere :-)
January 18, 2014 at 8:10am   
nmsg
I love that chair - with the stripe especially! I think that is why I love navy. My friends jokingly tell me that I am not allowed to buy any more navy and white striped clothes:) What about a rug? Do you think just a soft ivory/white shag-type rug would help soften/brighten things up?
Off to grab a couple more samples right now of some of the above suggestions.
January 18, 2014 at 9:13am     
carolins
Rug for the living room? Try the dining room one if you have the chance. But paint first, to get a good idea of how it looks. I think you won't regret painting that room. I wouldn't be surprised it it's going to be your favourite room in the home.
Thought you might like the striped one :-) Are you near Ikea? They have Ektorp chairs that are really comfortable and good quality for a good price. With kids and dogs... ;-)
And http://www.bemz.com/en/products/armchair-covers/ektorp/ has slipcovers galore if you would like a different fabric from the Ikea options.
January 18, 2014 at 10:22am     
nmsg
We do! those look like great chairs. I think we are gonna do it. Naval from SW. If we going navy we are going NAVY! Yes, rug for living room. I will have to try out the dining room one but not sure if I love it for in there but once I paint maybe. Our local store couldn't do farrow and ball and I didn't have color sample with me and I tried the gentlemen's gray but hubby didn't like it that it was greenish once we put it next to the Naval. I will post pics!
Carolins - do you like the couch moved? I don't think I like the idea of coffee tables blocking the bookcases, at least on the close side. Floor lamps or a sofa table behind couch with lamps? white or movable arm brass ones?http://www.ballarddesigns.com/bradley-task-lamp/224868
January 18, 2014 at 10:52am     
January 18, 2014 at 11:20am     
carolins
I'm in two minds about the sofa opposite the fireplace. It's just a tiny bit too wide, but that doesn't really bother me. And it would be so nice to have a chair at an angle next to the fireplace and another chair making an L-shape with the sofa. Hmm... what to do, what to do....

I would definitely not put end tables in front of the bookcases, nor a sofa table behind the sofa. I think a floor lamp, like the Bradley one you posted, would work on one side if you want a lamp for reading. I would certainly look for light in or on the bookcases.
Suppose you like the Ektorp chair, one in one of the corners next to the fireplace, angled towards the sofa. Ottoman in front, table and lamp next to it.
It is a large chair, so I'm not quite sure if it would be too much if you'd have another one on the other side of the sofa?
You could cut the size out of (news) paper and lay it on the floor, to see how much space it takes up.
January 18, 2014 at 12:10pm     
carolins
I'm thinking of lights like this for the bookcases. Ikea (again) have some good options that you can put on top and that shine down on the bookcases. That will be so nice in the evening :-)
Or, there are battery operated picture lights that you can put on the bookcases. Ideal if there's no outlet nearby. Something like this, but there are many options: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/eight-led-battery-powered-13-inch-wide-dimmable-picture-light__88693.html

Lake Shore Drive Penthouse
Tradtiional Family Room
Crisp Architects
January 18, 2014 at 12:24pm     
Malcolm Duffin Design
Bookcases in Navy Study
January 18, 2014 at 2:07pm     
nmsg
Love the idea of the bookcase lighting. Those examples are perfect! Im torn on where we put the sofa as well and what to do with the pictures we already have hung on the long wall where sofa was.
We are taping the room now and will paint tomorrow. I will post pics! Thanks for all of your help and advice!
January 18, 2014 at 2:10pm     
Malcolm Duffin Design
note the library lights on the bookcases above , very simple and quire discreet.
January 18, 2014 at 2:45pm        Thanked by nmsg
happyasaclam
carolins, I saved your lighting ideas to my Ideasbooks! Thanks :D
January 18, 2014 at 4:40pm     
carolins
lol... you're welcome happyasaclam :-)
January 19, 2014 at 12:59am     
ssplatt
Im not a designer, but Im an artist and know some color theory. I think you should do the Navy, and include the color on the ceiling inset for sure. I feel the dining room color is wishy washy too, but don't let it stop you. Go with the darker Navy, maybe one shade darker than you have even. Once it's all done the walls will feel like they recede and strangely it may fell bigger, yet cozy. The main yellow outside the dining room I think Will coordinate fine. Even it not be the same depth, navy and yellow work together which is why you are attracted to it with gold accents. Find some accents in yellow along with your gold accents to go in the Navy room and it will carry through. Later you'll probably feel the dining room color needs to change... Bu tat least it appears to be in the blue family. If you want the dining room a light tone still, then repaint it later in a lighter shade/tone/value of that Navy (ie, choose a light blue off he exact same paint strip from the paint fan). take the Navy and select a lighter shade of it from the SAME that paint strip (so even if d r isn't navy (dark), it is still harmonious with the Navy room. Now you have a monochromatic color from one room to the next. Put some Navy accents in the Dr to tie o the other room, then try a few little red accents. This completes a color triad that completes the color scheme. Check out Home Goods. you can find anything there, including pillows that tie your colors together. good Luck. I think you'll love the Navy, just bite the bullet.
January 19, 2014 at 1:40am        Thanked by nmsg
ssplatt
By the way, if you don't use that room, then rearrange the furniture. If the furniture placement is right, you'll start to gravitate there and it will become a hangout. You'll feel like your house just got a lot bigger!
January 19, 2014 at 2:26am     
Lynne Mysliwiec
You will absolutely not regret painting the room navy. Look forward to seeing the after photos!
January 19, 2014 at 3:25am        Thanked by nmsg
Malcolm Duffin Design
I recently completed this Dining Room in an ancient castle , the Navy silk damask on the walls is hand applied , matching curtains etc , I hope this provides you some inspiration.It amplifies how period restoration is relevant to today. I hope this helps,enjoy. Regards Malcolm
January 19, 2014 at 3:28am        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Here's the first coat! I ordered some new furniture pieces today as well. So excited!
January 20, 2014 at 3:47pm     
nmsg
And convinced the hubby to let me get a new couch, well, loveseat that will fit perfectly in between the bookcases. it's cream linen and tufted and pretty. got inspired by the above poster Thos. Baker's pic of the console table and gallery wall and ordered this from PB today to go along the big wall. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tivoli-spindle-console-table/?pkey=ccoffee-side-console-tables&cm_src=coffee-side-console-tables%7C%7CNoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
January 20, 2014 at 3:50pm     
abbyjean
WOW! That is all I can say....just WOW! I am soooo glad you decided to go with your gut!
January 20, 2014 at 3:53pm     
abbyjean
GREAT choices in new furniture, too! This probably will become your favorite room in the home now!!!
January 20, 2014 at 3:54pm     
studio10001
Quite the shake up - good for you!
(carolins, how did your own weekend project go?)
January 20, 2014 at 4:06pm     
athomeeileen
This is going to be gorgeous!
January 20, 2014 at 4:07pm     
Ann
Oh, this is a great discussion! Nothing to add but posting so I can see pics of the finished room:)
January 20, 2014 at 4:18pm     
tennisanyone
WOW Beautiful
January 20, 2014 at 4:22pm     
happyasaclam
It is wonderful! Love the console table too. You really got busy quick! Congrats on the new loveseat, too!
January 20, 2014 at 4:36pm     
tennisanyone
I have to ask, will you be painting the DR too?
January 20, 2014 at 4:39pm   
elklaker
I haven't commented thus far in hopes that you would do what you just did. Stunning!
January 20, 2014 at 4:54pm     
Kathleen Jamison
What a wonderful discussion. The navy paint is a excellent idea...I was so worried would not make difference with out new furniture
NOW that you have white love seat between book shelves and console table WOW. This will be gorgeous BUT about the dining room that paint not right. Sorry. Another Suggestion...have some of your family photos professional framed. ...larger frames bigger mats..I have spent as much on framing as furniture you will not regret.
Like all things framing is an art form in itself. I am in Winston-Salem, close but not lose enough to help.
January 20, 2014 at 4:56pm     
flo1980
I am not a designer...i am a mom and navy paint its very dificult to mantain properly and i think your room will turn to dark and sad. Maybe you should try white or pearl color and add colorfull details and a colorfull sofa or fur iture
January 20, 2014 at 5:09pm   
happyasaclam
It will be great! Don't worry :))
January 20, 2014 at 6:08pm     
nmsg
Thanks all for the sweet words, comments, and ideas. Y'all rock! I will have more questions about finishing this room but feel great about it. Will keep you posted on dining room. Considering going to one of the same swatch as navy like many suggested.
January 20, 2014 at 7:25pm     
nmsg
Thanks silk789 for all those pics:)
January 20, 2014 at 7:29pm   
abbyjean
The second coat will be so much more fun as the finish line gets closer and closer.
January 20, 2014 at 7:31pm     
rjanice
What was the paint color you ended up with? It looks great. I did a wall in Navy and it was not dark enough...ended up painting over it. Looks like you picked the right one! Good job.
January 20, 2014 at 7:47pm   
the sellable home, LLC
I have 2 dirty dogs who rub against everything, I have a slip cover made from painters' canvas drop cloths. Wash the fabric before it is sewn so it does not shrink later. It is indestructable. This could be an answer if after painting you feel you need to lighten the sofa.
January 20, 2014 at 7:56pm     
the sellable home, LLC
ok...just saw that you got a cream sofa...how did I miss that? Well, the slip cover still might be handy with kids :-)
January 20, 2014 at 7:59pm     
armipeg
Hummm...I never thought of navy in my life for walls, but this....I LIKE!
January 20, 2014 at 11:02pm     
carolins
It looks fantastic! Wow! Darker than I thought it would be, but I do like that.

@studio 10001, I'm halfway down the hall with painting. There are a couple of walls that have new plaster, so they have to be primed first. Not nearly as fast at painting as nmsg ;-) Thanks for asking :-)
January 21, 2014 at 12:55am     
Danielle B
Navy and gold are so modern and regal! It will look wonderful in your decor. Go for it!
January 21, 2014 at 3:48am        Thanked by nmsg
Lynne Mysliwiec
Beautiful! You will have a wonderfully sophisticated and beautiful space - so exciting!
January 21, 2014 at 9:00am      Thanked by nmsg
syncope
Wonderful transformation! Fabulous collaboration!
January 21, 2014 at 4:17pm      Thanked by nmsg
m3459
Late to the party, but LOVE it nmsg. I'm living vicariously with your navy blue room.
January 21, 2014 at 4:29pm        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Updated pics for those who saved this thread! It's getting there! Need rug, pendant light, art, bookcase styling, etc. Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks again for all of your help! We LOVE it.
February 9, 2014 at 5:33pm     
nmsg
Oh and the gallery wall for above console. Want an eclectic mix of things. Have to start hunting or if anyone is good at that stuff - help!
February 9, 2014 at 5:34pm     
syncope
Love it. Will get on the hunt as well. Tally ho-houzzer!
February 9, 2014 at 5:35pm     
syncope
These are a quick down and dirty first run to see if any hit your fancy.
February 9, 2014 at 5:44pm     
nmsg
Yes I like the idea of it having some depth and different texture. Thanks!
February 9, 2014 at 5:48pm     
syncope
These were all on wayfair.com. Are you adverse to having more than navy, white, and brown in the room or do you want to keep it with those three colors?
February 9, 2014 at 5:50pm   
happyasaclam
I love how your room turned out! I have it bookmarked! You've done a gorgeous job. :)
February 9, 2014 at 6:03pm   
syncope
Here are a few more ideas. These are from lampsplus.com
February 9, 2014 at 6:22pm        Thanked by nmsg
bellapink
Like a dark navy not the other brighter blues that were in the swatches. Dark navy... I think elegant
February 9, 2014 at 6:23pm      Thanked by nmsg
syncope
and...
February 9, 2014 at 6:23pm   
syncope
and...these ...plus an odd man out.
February 9, 2014 at 6:25pm     
abbyjean
So so nice! LOVE the benches/stools under that console table! Your decor touches are all just sooo fun!
February 9, 2014 at 7:35pm        Thanked by nmsg
Sarah Smith
Yes!! Would consider changing the frames to white though. Not a huge fan of black on navy.
February 9, 2014 at 7:54pm     
tennisanyone
Beautiful. Love the navy.
February 9, 2014 at 7:59pm      Thanked by nmsg
carolins
Oh wow! It looks gorgeous :-) So glad you love it. It was quite a step to take, but definitely a big success. Love all the pieces you've got so far. Some great suggestions by rngp.
You could pull the chair forward and place a floor lamp behind it.
February 9, 2014 at 11:46pm        Thanked by nmsg
carolins
You could check Etsy for some more unique looking pieces. Although I like some of the things rngp picked, it's all a bit 'off the shelf'. I think that whatever you put on a wall, it has to be interesting to you and make you smile.

Here are some examples from different Etsy artists: http://www.etsy.com/listing/157914541/southerndown-bay-limited-edition-giclee?ref=br_feed_48&br_feed_tlp=art
http://www.etsy.com/listing/174162842/painting-original-folk-art-red-poppy?ref=listing-shop-header-3
http://www.etsy.com/listing/68027629/cute-blue-bird-on-chandelier-art-print?ref=shop_home_active_18
http://www.etsy.com/listing/76051417/typography-illustration-print-like?ref=related-4
February 10, 2014 at 12:27am   
nmsg
love those too carolins!
February 10, 2014 at 7:05am   
nmsg
what type rug and light fixture do you all think? My first thought was a pendant drum light and maybe a sisal or jute rug. Think it needs more personality or stick neutral?
February 10, 2014 at 7:06am   
syncope
I don't disagree that they are a bit "off the shelf" but was trying to get a handle on the direction nmsg was going. I love these but they are definitely a bit out there for most. I'm not an animal lover but these are just so much fun.
February 10, 2014 at 7:09am     
syncope
I think you could use a bit of personality. Right now it's truly beautiful but I'm having a hard time getting a handle on "who" lives there. Maybe something that would speak more to what you and your family are about?
February 10, 2014 at 7:12am     
flo1980
Totally agree, your home has to be a reflex of your personality. Don´t try to have a magazine house.
February 10, 2014 at 7:15am   
carolins
They were just meant to show you what you could find on Etsy :-)
I love these art walls:
Holiday Decor

Was this your inspiration photo for the console table with art above it?
blue wall with photos
February 10, 2014 at 7:18am     
syncope
I know there's a huge jute/sisal craze right now but my bare feet just don't like them. If it were my room, I'd want something lush in there. There are few places that I think shag carpet makes sense but this may be one of them. In white. Yikes! Can't believe I said that!
February 10, 2014 at 7:23am     
carolins
I like the idea of a sisal rug and I'm thinking a chandelier. Sisal will keep it from getting too formal and chandelier will add a bit of glam ;-)
February 10, 2014 at 7:23am     
syncope
Though I have to admit...this is an interesting treatment.

]
February 10, 2014 at 7:27am   
syncope
]

or this
February 10, 2014 at 7:28am   
syncope
]

I'll stop now till I get some feedback.
February 10, 2014 at 7:32am   
carolins
Jute rugs are softer underfoot and have the same 'style' as sisal ones. PB have jute/wool rugs.
February 10, 2014 at 7:32am     
Ramona
the sisal and jute weaves are available in wool. I love them. You did a stunning job so far.

Would you consider a navy and white rug? I think it would add even more drama to a space which is now wonderfully inviting.

Where are you going to hang the light. I love the idea of a luscious chandelier.
February 10, 2014 at 8:32am     
twinkleberry
nmsg, your room is amazing! I love that you had the moxie to go so blue and bold. It's paid off beautifully! I hope to have the vision to pull off something this dramatic in my own LR soon.
February 10, 2014 at 8:37am        Thanked by nmsg
mefor
Ballards sells a braided jute that is amazingly soft, silky and cushy, feels great under bare feet. It comes in a chocolate brown, natural and also a bleached version. I have one, so I know how soft it is. :)
carolins
Thought you might like to see these images
February 10, 2014 at 8:52am        Thanked by nmsg
carolins
Hover over them, the first has a nice crystal chandelier
February 10, 2014 at 8:53am     
syncope
I like the look of texture on the second one carolins. Great variation of shades without getting fussy.
February 10, 2014 at 8:54am     
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
NMSG, LOVE IT!!!! What a transformation. What are you hoping you find in an area rug?
February 10, 2014 at 8:57am     
Ramona
I love that white textured painting. I also lover the blue and white diamond rug.

Do you have a tray ceiling in the dining room too? How about the same blue on the ceiling and white on all the walls in the dining room?
February 10, 2014 at 8:58am     
syncope
From Ballards.com
February 10, 2014 at 10:15am        Thanked by nmsg
nmsg
Yes I love that white textured painting look. Those woven ones are cool too.
February 10, 2014 at 2:55pm   
nmsg
I think I am trying to find a rug that's fairly inexpensive but still has some texture to it...why I was thinking a sisal or jute. Like just a white shag idea - can get for fairly cheap but am worried about kids/dog.
February 10, 2014 at 2:57pm   
nmsg
I also like that silvery/gray one in the pic carolins posted. little glam. :-)
February 10, 2014 at 2:57pm   
syncope
How much do you use the room with the kids and the dog? And how old are the kids? If it's a seldom used room, I'd go for it. The texture of a shag would be great with all the sleeker ones in the room. Besides, you've gone this far....finish it off with panache!
February 10, 2014 at 3:06pm     
happychick002
love, Love, LOVE the paint color! I have been apprehensive in painting my dining room Sherwin Williams Naval. I love the color and after seeing your photos, i believe i will bite the bullet and go for it. My wood floors are much darker than your wood floors, I do have 8 inch base boards and thick crown molding in a stark white trim color, I just hope that my Naval dining room will pop like your room does. So happy i ran across this thread. Happy decorating to you all. So many great suggestions here... happy face!
February 10, 2014 at 3:43pm     
Cure Design Group
WE LOVE NAVY!!! I like the swatch in middle one on the left hand side!
February 10, 2014 at 4:11pm     
rosemeyer
Good Gosh! How beautiful!! I've been following this thread and could not wait until you got the furniture in place. Now I'm on pins and needles waiting for the beautification of the dining room. How about -- as one poster suggested -- painting the ceiling of the dining room your beautiful Navy and then do white everywhere else EXCEPT the long wall. Do a navy/white wallpaper. There are some stunning photos on Houzz for inspiration.
February 10, 2014 at 4:50pm     
rosemeyer
If you can look past the fact that this is in a bathroom, the wallpaper is subtle with the color but still makes a statement with the graphic.

February 10, 2014 at 4:53pm   
rosemeyer
February 10, 2014 at 4:54pm      Thanked by nmsg
rosemeyer
First: Keeping yellow/wheat walls but incorporating blue:
Federal Farmstead

Second: Final suggestion (I promise!) with blue in ceiling and lots of white!
Farinelli Construction Inc
February 10, 2014 at 4:56pm      Thanked by nmsg
lbjorn
We've have been trying to decide what navy paint to use also. I'm so glad I read this because I think we will just go for it and paint naval too even though it's our darkest option of our samples. Thanks for posting the after pictures!!! Love it! Just curious about one thing. Did you use a satin finish or a flat finish? It seems like a lot of people just flat paint for navy but I'm not sure that would work with our walls. Thanks!
March 26, 2014 at 7:16am   
How would you separate the bed from the rest of the room?
The photos are of the same area but taken from different...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
What colour should we paint our pergola?
Hi everyone, We've just put a pergola on over our...
Bay window looking out onto sun room
Isn't it weird to have a bay window that looks out...