how to modernize this kitchen from 1999 without much $$
Alana Chernecki
i LOVE white high gloss cupboards, and marble counters but our budget will not allow me to redo this kitchen. how can i make it look more contemporary. counter suggestions? backsplash? oak accents??? oh, and if anyone has any ideas on what to do with glass-etched inserts near staircase, please advise!! thanks so much.
tellicobound
well, the pendant lights are very nice. But what is lacking is color! I suggest painting the white cabinetry on the island. Then, consider changing the glass on the pendant lights to something colorful that coordinates with the cabinets. Have you considered oversized stainless handles for the cabinets - they instantly update the look.
1 Like   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 4:35PM
maureenroth
First I'd paint out any oak colored wood; crown, trim, wood colored cabinets. Put in 2 super modern faucets and get some edgy stools and replace that colonial style chair. Change your hardware on all the cabinets too. You could introduce an accent color in accessories (orange?) and maybe even change the pendant lights to that color.
4 Likes   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 4:35PM
maureenroth
Oh yes, lose the valances. And paint out that window trim also.
Steph O
Maybe you can start by changing the door knobs from the cupboards and draws. It is inexpensive and wont hit the hip pocket too hard.
3 Likes   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 4:36PM
Alana Chernecki
wow thank you everyone. the furniture is not ours thank goodness (: it belongs to the current owners. and YES, the valances are the FIRST to go!!! hardware is gone-zo too. i've never thought about painting the island cabinets. great ideas!! keep them coming!! unfortunately, there is no seating around this island. i'm hoping to build some in at some point as we have 3 young girls to feed (much easier around an island!!) thank you all again.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 4:42PM
Alana Chernecki
also - can i do contrasting pulls + knobs (you'll notice the maple knobs are SMACK-DAB in the middle of the pull-out drawers, making it hard to put a pull on)
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 4:46PM
Lindsey Jordan
Love your kitchen, very open, I love the white. Honestly, you don't need to do much to update it. Your cabinets are already a popular modern shaker style. The only thing holding you back in the 90s is the wood accents and hardware on cabinets and sink.

You can go as small or big in changes as you like. I love your floors too btw. First, an easy update would be some new silver shaded hardware for cabinets. And a sleek modern faucet for the sink.

Maybe second I would put a glass tile back splash. There are sooo many different varieties, just check online. I don't know where you live, but I live in Florida and Floor and Decor store has many options. You might pick one with a little bit of color to liven up the space. You could do like a white subway tile, with a thin glass tile accent or all glass, totally up to you.

Taking it a step further you could paint the island a different color. Maybe a color that you can accent in the glass back splash, but not necessarily. Maybe a shade of gray is sleek and modern, but if you decide to paint, I might go as far to paint over the wood accents, floor is pretty but I'm talking abut the parts on the cabinets, just to give a unified feel to your new modern kitchen. I can't tell what colors are in your counter tops, but maybe a color from the counter tops you can use to pick your backslash and island color.

Lastly, and probably most expensive update would be to change to granite counters or some type of stone counter top. with squared off edges. That would bring you up to the 21st century. You could get a counter top of granite that looks marble, white with gray or black in it.

Take it one small step at a time, and go with your gut, its your kitchen, pick the colors and styles you like!
4 Likes   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 4:55PM
sstarr
@maureenroth nailed it. Exactly the changes that I saw.
1 Like   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 4:59PM
Studio NOO Design
Loose the valences, repaint your cabinets with one coat of high gloss white paint and finish the oak accents white also, you will need to sand and put a primer first...so you will get a brand new high gloss white kitchen...if you want contrast, finish the oak with a glossy black paint...good luck, please post pictures when done !
1 Like   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 5:03PM
the essentials inside
To start change out the cabinet door handles with something larger and metal.
1 Like   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 6:33PM
Transitional Designs
I agree with outline of punch list from other comments ~ Remove Valances, paint all oak trim out! Have fun with color, paint what color speaks to you and your environment and style. The cabinetry all looks in good shape - live with it for a while till something REALLY speaks to you about function then...decide on the creative aspect.

Regarding seating at island, you'd have to loose the storage cabinets on one side if your need and want are to have it functional.

Solid sandblasted glass to replace current or....tie in wood panels to compliment or contrast flooring. I'd also recommend UV shades that you get protection from yet can see through on the windows.

Definitely new pulls and knobs and I'd replace pendants with a more contemporary fixture.

All in all... you have good bones to work with ~ best in your creation and endeavors ~ Judy
0 Likes   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 6:53PM
shredder1952
maureenroth had all my ideas! Perfect. Love your kitchen - other than hardware and painting a few Oak areas - I would LOVE to have it.
1 Like   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 7:10PM
Alana Chernecki
loving all this feedback. this site is marvelous. (i'm clearly a newbie). i love the look of the attached kitchen image i pulled from this site. i also purchased a tile backsplash with recessed levels (kind of 3d) (it's leonardo tile called "iki" from italy) which i'm HOPING to use here. i wasn't aware it couldn't be grouted when i bought it, and now i'm wondering if it should go here as a backsplash or will it look too "checkerboard" with all the white/grey? i'm not a messy cook, so i'm not too concerned with splatter (plus, the island houses the cooktop)... thank you all again.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 7:18PM
Alana Chernecki
here are the other images i was referring to (our backsplash is dark grey)
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 7:20PM
juudean
Regarding the etched glass, you could replace the glass panels with white balusters, I would probably go with square. It may give you a more open feel.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 7:22PM
Alana Chernecki
@juudean - what are white balusters?
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 7:24PM
juudean
Here you go...
0 Likes   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 7:31PM
mickisue
There are very modern looking pulls available that can work in the center of the drawers--search on pulls.com for "knobs" and you'll find a ton of big brushed nickel knobs that are quite modern looking.

If you can afford ONE bigger change, lose the old stainless sink and replace it with a deep, single stainless sink with an industrial feeling faucet. I LOVE, LOVE LOVE the Vigo sinks that come with drain, protective grid for the bottom of the sink, several choices of very nice faucets and a lotion dispenser. If you order from Amazon or another discount site, they are under $600, all included.

This one's a farmhouse, but modern looking: http://www.amazon.com/VG15201-Farmhouse-Stainless-Kitchen-33-Inch/dp/B00E60U5K0/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389850451&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=vigo+kitchen+sinks.+all-in-one+stainless+steel+32x19x10+0-hole+single+bowl+kitchen+sink

And this one's an under mount: http://www.amazon.com/VG15247-30-Inch-Undermount-Kitchen-Stainless/dp/B00AMWLT6U/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1389850577&sr=8-17&keywords=vigo+kitchen+all-in-one

Your kitchen is much less 90's than mine, I have to say. The difference is that I had no one to blame but myself--we are the ones who built the house.
1 Like   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 9:37PM
justine7700
Just skimmed through....did anyone mention changing out the pendant lights? I would go for something larger to look more contemporary.
0 Likes   Thanked by Alana Chernecki    January 15, 2014 at 9:59PM
dreacorator
If budget is tight and modern is what you need to feel at home then can you look into just buying the doors you want while keeping cabinet bases? Then you would create a more permanent solution. Countertop to be changed into something a " little less country, a little more rock and roll", and agreeing with others all oak painted white a long with all the crown molding. If not in budget to replace glass doors, then can you take out the molding so they are just glass? As for knobs in middle, you can get a pull to go over and mask the center hole. As for etched glass panels, some extra drywall patch and spackle would cost you the least, but maybe you can design an installation with tension wire that is used for staircases? A new Backsplash and you will be all good. You do have a lot of cabinet space, maybe take out the doors a nd s helves in t he island and build a support underneath
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 10:08PM
Shuler Architecture
I think there is a lot you can do. Paint all the wood trim and swap out the fixtures with something more contemporary (go to Bellacorp Pro for affordable lighting). Do something with that dreadful cabinet hardware and the valance over the windows too. Try painting the island a unique color. Finish the space out with some contemporary furnishings and an accent color.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 10:24PM
juudean
Alana, this is what I was thinking about for your stairs...just with white ones. You could also go with wrought iron...
http://www.diyhomecenter.com/fortress/balusters/?utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=fortresswroughtiron&utm_campaign=fortress
0 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 6:45AM
Transitional Designs
I'd mimic the shaker pattern in cabinets
0 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 12:52PM
How can I redo my 600sq ft kitchen without spending so much!?
My kitchen needs to be gutted, but I can keep my new...
How do I create a french country kitchen without starting from scratch?
I love the look of simple french country, nothing over...
Modern/European kitchen cabinet brand without the high dollar cost?
We are designing an Industrial Chic home - I am researching...
Help Choosing an area rug for home office.
I need help choosing an area rug for my home office....
Arranging books by colour?
Who does it? I can't imagine my books organized randomly...
Dining room dilemma What do I do?
What is this room missing? Do I keep buffet lamps?...
Need help choosing wall color for this bath...
To keep within our budget we are keeping this bath...