Help! My house is too 'masculine'.
loisgary
January 15, 2014 in Before & After
Married a great man, but his house was a real man cave. Looking for ideas: how to soften the look, how to introduce femininity without loosing the Craftsman charm, how to update wooden walls. The place is dark inside - needs more lighting. Oh yes, did I mention he doesn't like change??
lindastein
need to see some pictures ...
January 15, 2014 at 8:07pm        Thanked by loisgary
2dogssashatess
does he have dark brown or black furniture,? good luck
January 16, 2014 at 4:56am        Thanked by loisgary
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
LOL! most people don't like change, so not a big surprise. However, you will have to use some feminine wiles to make the changes without WW 3 breaking out - especially if it is his house you moved to.

I went thru that many years ago when my husband & I moved in together in his home. Luckily he liked my suggestions overall.

Suggest you take it one room at a time and go slow so he is not overwhelmed. Use his stuff wherever you can.

For eg, if he has big leather furniture, pieces can be softened with colourful throw cushions and a soft, cuddly throw.

Wood walls can be painted but many men abhor the idea of painting wood!

Post some pix and lets see what we can suggest
January 16, 2014 at 5:03am      Thanked by loisgary
Kevin Strader
Be careful with what you do to wood walls. That is part of what Craftsman style is. Paint, better lighting, artwork, introducing fabrics (throws, pillows, window treatments) area rugs are all methods that can "soften" a room giving it your feminine touch without overwhelming him with change.

He probably still sees this as his house but over time will come to see it as yours and his. Bring him along slowly.
January 16, 2014 at 5:21am      Thanked by loisgary
New England Design & Construction
I would definitely start small, and make the easiest changes for him to adjust to first. If I were you, I would begin with introducing some updated lighting throughout the home. Get him used to it being brighter, and actually being able to see how dingy it is!

Once he can actually see in the home, start making small suggestions verbally to him before you make any changes, to gauge his interest.

Definitely post some pictures, you will get better advice that is more tailored to your space.
January 16, 2014 at 5:27am      Thanked by loisgary
tsudhonimh
" introduce femininity without losing the Craftsman charm"

Craftsman interiors don't do classic "feminine" very well. They were richly dark by design and will fight you all the way.

Think "opulent" and "posh" - Theda Bara instead of Shirley Temple, Gene Tierney instead of Doris Day. Go for jewel tone colors on the walls, rich textured fabrics in intense colors, shiny metal mirrored and oriental accents. Consider painting the walls a pale metallic gold, and if you have coffered ceilings, put pale satin gloss paint on them.

Or, head towards airy "Jungenstile" German influences, with painted walls above the woodwork, simple drapery panels and ikat fabrics. Use intense clear pastels (hot pink instead of blush, teal instead of robins-egg) to stand up to the woodwork.

Polish the woodwork until it gleams and add wattage to the lighting fixtures.

Light rugs and upholstery will bounce the light around.
January 16, 2014 at 10:14am      Thanked by loisgary
hayleydaniels
How about something as simple as large vase of bright sunflowers on the table or other piece of furniture where they would soften the masculine wood feel of the room?

I would also put a colorful thrown over a foot stool or on the back of the couch. And maybe put some colorful area rugs in the kitchen in front of the sink and stove, and under the dog's water dish if you have one.
January 16, 2014 at 10:31am      Thanked by loisgary
KShoa
Add flowers, candles, fluffy pillows, artwork...

Hard to tell what the style is without photos. Check out my artwork for ideas.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa
January 16, 2014 at 1:58pm      Thanked by loisgary
HELP! My house is too brown. Need help with exterior colours!
I have attached a BROWN picture of the exterior of...
Help my house looks too busy
I want to repaint my 1970's tudor style house so that...
Need help for the interiors of my new house which is too small
Recently we have bought a new house in Mumbai, India....
Living room too masculine? Too much brown leather?
We have accumulated pieces over the years that I am...
need help with wall paper
I need a wall paper for my foyer. floor is black and...
ideas for this garden dead spot
Would live ideas for this shady dead spot...deck..path...garden?...
Living room/ family room
I'm having a problem trying to decide how to best design...
Fireplace Disaster!
Hi everyone! I am a second year law student with a...
Need Help To Find Similar Night Table
Ikea discontinued this Hemnes Rounded Night Table....