Flooring recommendation for wild house
lindshammer
Looking for best flooring (no tile, no carpet)

Wild children, indoor dog, heavy traffic, messy/active life
Slab on clay, so shifting foundation is the norm
Usually humid, but some fluctuation seasonally
Open floor plan, single story

Currently a mosaic of flooring: tile in bathrooms & entry, carpet in bedrooms/closets, stained concrete in mud/laundry, discontinued wood laminate everywhere else installed 13yrs ago by previous owners. Tile in bathroom and stained concrete in mud room/laundry is only flooring that can stay, but willing to remove tile if need be.

Has anyone had luck with a tasteful, aesthetically pleasing flooring type for a wild family?
Concrete flooring would a durable option.
January 16, 2014 at 8:05am        Thanked by lindshammer
lindshammer
Could bamboo or another wood handle abuse, I mean general use :) ?
January 16, 2014 at 9:10am   
Michelle Baker
Slate textured rubber flooring
January 16, 2014 at 8:17pm        Thanked by lindshammer
nwduck
Marmoleum.
January 17, 2014 at 12:10am        Thanked by lindshammer
catz1
Mexican saltillo tile is the easiest floor for a wild family. Supposedly, there are new grout and sub-floor options that will address the shifting, sounds too good to be true. From a beauty and upkeep perspective, there is nothing easier and more durable.
January 17, 2014 at 12:24am        Thanked by lindshammer
lindshammer
I do love stained concrete's character! Our concrete under the other existing flooring may be too damaged (from carpet nail board/tacks, permeated paint drips from previous renovations, etc) to easily stain. Not sure if it's worth the extra time in prep though if there is a faster gratification, equally hardy flooring available.

I think the look of Saltillo mosaic tiles are gorgeous! Those must be sealed too, correct? What frequency would they have to typically be sealed? My parents are in the same area and had tile installed throughout the majority of their house, and not too long afterwards a crack along the grout line all the way across the house formed. Structurally "fine", trusted installer, just a result of shifting clays (same with Sheetrock). I would love to know about that underlayment for tile for use in areas w constant shifting! Will research it more.

Has anyone had experience with Marmoleum? Does it have a cork floor feel? How has it handled abuse? How was pricing comparable to other flooring? I had thought of it too, but we are in a not so forward thinking area, and wasn't sure how it would go over in resale later on. It may be viewed as old sheet vinyl...

Never thought of rubber tiles. I know it certainly is not the alphabet foam floor tiles in nurserys, but that comes to mind :) I will look into that too.

Any other options out there? Has anyone had luck w any of the floating wood floors? My husband keeps asking me about bamboo floating floors.

Thanks for all the responses/help! I really appreciate it!
January 19, 2014 at 1:21pm   
nwduck
lindshammer: My experience with marmoleum is essentially in doing buildings for tech companies in a commercial setting. It is fairly cushy underfoot--as much as anything other than carpet with a substantial pad would be laid on-slab. The interior designers using this product specified sheet goods rather than the tiles and sometimes did design cut-ins in other colors. I recall a choice in the sheet goods line that looked pretty much like a stained concrete would. It wore like iron. Years of people walking, rolling chairs, etc. all over it, and it still looked like new. When I re-do my kitchen, that's what I'm using, for sure. As far as resale, I guess I'd look at it this way--marmoleum in great shape, or completely thrashed floors? :)
January 19, 2014 at 1:37pm     
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
Need trim, ceiling and cabinet color help!
My house will be open concept when its done and I want...
Awkward Kitchen corner Backsplash query
Sorry for the last attempt. We have chosen Cambria...
Opinions on first floor of home
At the last stage of purchasing home, 4 bedroom, three...
Painting and wall stamps
Hi everyone What a lovely experience I've had on houzz...