POLL: Favorite accessories?
Houzz Polls
January 16, 2014 in Polls
What home accessories do you always find yourself buying...even when you know you don't need it?

Vote for your favorite! To win a pair of your very own Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us what you most recently bought, (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 1/26/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.
Stools
Vases
Throws and Accent pillows
Accent Dishes/Plates
Artwork
Decorative Towels
Rugs
Other - Tell us below!
armipeg
Dishes, cups, glasses, plates, storage containers...just can't get enough. I like to store some, and use ones with new designs. Then when I get bored I store the currently used ones and bring out and use my older ones. I also give away some that I no longer will use. This way I don't get tired of the same old design.
January 16, 2014 at 1:57PM     
okdokegal
Sheets; kitschy glass and knickknacks. Yep I fess up.
January 16, 2014 at 2:04PM   
lbondy
Pillows
January 16, 2014 at 2:10PM     
Melissa
Ditto on the pillows. I have too many!
January 16, 2014 at 3:45PM   
Barnhart Gallery
Of your list, it's artwork and vases.
January 16, 2014 at 3:50PM     
happyasaclam
Accent plates and cups and saucers. I have them hanging on the wall and covering every flat surface. I can't help myself. *sigh*
January 16, 2014 at 3:56PM   
Michael Lee, Inc
can't have too much great art in a home....................
January 16, 2014 at 3:57PM     
smartkat
hardwood floors ! and a new set of Denby pottery.
January 16, 2014 at 4:01PM     
maverickcowgirl
I used to have a thing about buying towels...until I couldn't fit them in the cupboards and my husband would make comments every time I bought some, now I just love pretty things and new throws/pillows. I bought some cute Westie cushions the other day and I finally found some bright yellow ones so next time I am out shopping they will be coming home with me :) I love candles, jars/ vases that hold pretty things etc even though I am getting to the point where I don't have space for them and the other side of me that likes clean lines is about to have a fit.
January 17, 2014 at 2:53AM     
knhund
Anything for the kitchen; baking pans, serving pieces, restaurant ware. I like timeless and classic products. Products that last like industrial strength bakeware and cookware. Oh...can't forget table linens.
January 17, 2014 at 3:00AM   
clfoshee
Most always, I find myself browsing art work, no matter what I was out shopping to buy. This week, I attended a painting class/wine party with friends. We had so much fun! Maybe I'll be brave enough to create more of my own art, in the future.
January 17, 2014 at 3:29AM     
amikah
Mugs and bedsheets
January 17, 2014 at 4:28AM   
rredpenn
I'm a sucker for art fairs. I plan months in advance to go to them, and I always buy something when I go... usually I buy pottery or artwork, but lately I'm into metalwork and outdoor/garden things. I tend toward beautiful handmade one-of-a-kind things, or things that make me laugh. How do I justify spending money on things I don't really need? Although I may not need the item, the artists do need to sell, because that's their living!
January 17, 2014 at 4:38AM     
macgrill
Jeweled picture frames, especially from Kenneth Jay Lane or Jay Strongwater.
January 17, 2014 at 10:10PM   
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
coffee mugs with my favorite sport team. and comic book beer mugs...yup me and my wife argue a lot! jk...
January 17, 2014 at 11:47PM   
Sue Higson
for me it is pillows and throws, but also vases and mugs. The throws win really, as I have to really fight with myself not to buy another, but show me a special vase, and I will buy it, like this one here in the corner. I saw a divine one on line just yesterday, but at 600€ just way too expensive. I also have a weakness for mugs, but hey, you cannot have too many. They will get broken from time to time, so it is natural selection at work.
January 19, 2014 at 12:46AM   
Katrina Masters
Textures with complimentary colours
January 19, 2014 at 1:44AM   
helixg1
Mirrors. I love unusual mirrors.
January 19, 2014 at 3:12AM   
appytrails
I love browsing the patterns and colors or area rugs, and I love to change them out whenever I can remotely justify it. Fortunately, my daughter recently bought a new home, and so she is happy to be gifted any that I replace, so I don't feel too guilty about my new purchase. I just love the feeling to the room a new area rug brings...like painting the room, without all the work involved.
January 19, 2014 at 4:14AM   
Jane Bateman
Old anything really. Anything dug up and rocks. Sad really!!
January 19, 2014 at 4:31AM     
smaroulis
Spring pillows already picked out to lighten my family room!
January 19, 2014 at 4:32AM   
Cheryl Davies
you can never have enough throws or cushions I've got every colour changes the room instantly
January 19, 2014 at 4:45AM   
Ian Ward
Candles. Hands down.
January 19, 2014 at 4:48AM     
arolennie1982
Frames with anything in it and stool or ottoman...work wonders everytime!
January 19, 2014 at 4:51AM     
phillipspenny
My weakness is lamps for some reason I prefer soft lamp light to bright ceiling lighting. I usually find myself browsing the shelves for lamps!
January 19, 2014 at 4:57AM     
loraki
Candle holders & candles.
January 19, 2014 at 5:05AM   
micheleboyer8
I can't get enough artwork. Wood, metal, modern, traditional - it doesn't matter. I love it all. When I need something and can't find what I'm looking for, I'll look through my personal photos, have it enlarged, then either framed behind glass or printed on canvas or glass. It adds a personal touch to the room.
January 19, 2014 at 5:13AM     
Lisa Rajack-Seels
Cushions, scented candles, those scented oils with the wood sticks and plug-ins!
January 19, 2014 at 5:17AM   
karenlivelymartin
pillows, rugs and throws
January 19, 2014 at 5:22AM     
terolynl
coffee mugs! I have to tell myself to just walk away.....
January 19, 2014 at 5:24AM   
suedee
I am a Lamp Tramp... Frames & mirrors always catch a glance.
January 19, 2014 at 5:35AM     
mowglivt
Bowls, bowls, bowls....all shapes, sizes and colors! Love them.
January 19, 2014 at 5:37AM   
hammerhugger
It is bedsheets for me and towels run second.
January 19, 2014 at 5:37AM     
Pamela Robey
Pillows... I can't resist any pillow with a touch of red!
January 19, 2014 at 5:44AM   
bfoxen
For me it's bringing in a bit of nature.. A new plant, or dried arrangement of bamboo stalks or twisted sticks that I grew. Bringing in a bit of tranquility. And in the case of a plant a little extra oxygen never hurts.. Clean the air - freshen the spirits..
January 19, 2014 at 5:50AM     
printesa
I used to buy towels. Now I have lots of them and it took me a while to realize that I have enough. If I have to pick something that would cause an overflow, that will have to be orchids in the house and plants outside. I had about 30 orchids when I was living in California, After we moved to the East Coast, a lot of them died because I didn't see the sun was hitting a certain spot. I still have some and bought some extra, but I have to remind myself that I cannot get any until I get a greenhouse. It's difficult not to buy flowers,,way too difficult:)
January 19, 2014 at 6:00AM     
Susan
I love buying throws and pillows for a quick update or a new pop of color to accent a room. :)
January 19, 2014 at 6:06AM   
sbeck
Pillows! Constantly looking for them because they make such an impact on furniture!
January 19, 2014 at 6:07AM   
alessiann
Artwork! I have enough to change it all out 3 or 4 times a year, some of which is still in storage crates. Favorites are wall art and smaller sculptures. I can't part with any of them!
January 19, 2014 at 6:19AM     
Debbie Schoenthal
Whenever I see plants, any size, I have to buy them they bring a room to life and add natural color. I also love candles have them in every room. I have a name brand collection of cans from old to new on a shelf around the ceiling of my family room...even if they r a little rusty they still have appeal.
January 19, 2014 at 6:19AM     
quercus2
Baskets, bins and other containers for organizing. And, believe it or not, I actually use them.
January 19, 2014 at 6:20AM     
Deborah Hall
Throws! My little dog likes to sit with me on my chair and sleep on the sofa. Every piece of upholstered furniture is covered. Boutis on the sofas, cashmere throws on chairs, quilted throws to snuggle under. They make life with a dog -- even a non shedding one like mine -- much more pleasant, and I like the layered look.
January 19, 2014 at 6:33AM     
starbear
Pretty storage boxes (blush)
January 19, 2014 at 6:34AM   
isareylander
Throws and pillows are my favorite items to personalize any room
January 19, 2014 at 6:44AM   
geauxdeb
Candles and candle holders. Next purchase will be a mirror.
January 19, 2014 at 6:55AM   
Kaaren Baumgartner
CANDLESTICKS...I seem to have a lotta them even thought we don't light candles here except for holiday dinners and never at parties...fear of fire...cedar here.
DISHES...I am the Queen of Dishes...I only buy serving pieces or dessert/salad plates, bowls, mugs, goblets (guess that's enough) to accent or change seasons/holidays on my main pattern, Hornsea Concept, but I have buffet dishes, and a china pattern, and...
ART...BIG ART...I can no longer attend openings or art fairs. I am remodeling. I have to tell myself, "Do you want that more than you want a new tub?" If I go, I buy, so I no longer go.
SECURITY...Burglar phobic although there's nothing to take unless you want dishes, candlesticks, BIG art that is bolted to walls and all local, two tiny TVs, or a remodeled kitchen and bath. But I now want a door phone and exterior camera. They don't know there's nothing here until they get in. The times we live in.
January 19, 2014 at 6:59AM   
Erin S
My husband and I love to entertain (and fortunately for me he loves to cook!) so we are always admiring various holiday platters and serving trays. It's a simple way to spice up any dinner party!
January 19, 2014 at 7:11AM   
Kris Pratt
Lamps, for some reason I'm always looking at and buying more lamps. It's drives my hubby crazy! Also, art is a downfall for me. I don't have ANY empty walls in my condo.
January 19, 2014 at 7:13AM     
valerietingley
I am a sucker for "salad" or "dessert" plates! We entertain frequently and I love to bring new life to my beloved white dishes with accents. Some of my favorites are my majolica collection and a newly acquired set of Kings Crown that was somehow washed (probably in the dishwasher) to the perfect shade of blush.
January 19, 2014 at 7:21AM   
lauralyons
Older furniture that I'm not willing to replace- hey, it's comfortable and not *that* ugly yet! Buying a few new pillows and a pretty throw now and then is a perfect way to refresh the look on a budget!
January 19, 2014 at 7:26AM   
rkandrea
I cannot pass up glassware & crystal. I use for decorative storage everywhere: soap holder, vitamins & Paperclips... Anything.
January 19, 2014 at 7:27AM   
okesson
Bowls and mugs - just bought a few on clearance this week!
January 19, 2014 at 7:54AM   
Chrystine
I love silver! Bowls, trays, candlesticks and anything else I can afford. My price range is low so it's usually quite well loved and tarnished.
January 19, 2014 at 7:59AM   
jessielucille
Baskets! My design aesthetic is very driven by texture, and baskets seem to fill that need. Every space in our home has something woven from natural materials.
January 19, 2014 at 8:06AM     
djbittle
Frames for my nature photographs.
January 19, 2014 at 8:11AM     
saratogaswizzlestick
Baskets and mirrors.
January 19, 2014 at 8:12AM   
lccampbell
I love to create art, but I love buying other people's art almost as much as making it myself. The thing is, I don't have enough wall space to display everything I own/buy, but the doesn't see to stop me.
January 19, 2014 at 8:16AM   
Always Nesting
Pillow Cases! Cotton or flannel, I just love pillow cases. I find it relaxing to iron the cotton ones into crisp folded squares, making the stacks in my linen closet look organized and colorful.
January 19, 2014 at 8:32AM     
Mary Burbary_Champion
Tea pots and tea cups. I have fine china, I have stoneware. Most of them are gifts or something I picked up on a trip (Bone china tea cup from New Zealand!) They are not all out at once, but I rotate them in a few cabinets I have. I also use them when someone comes to visit, they are not just for show. They bring back memories and they make my heart happy :)
January 19, 2014 at 9:13AM   
liisa111
Lamps! My house never seems to have enough light!
January 19, 2014 at 9:28AM     
arnzcasa
Baskets and boxes--Does this mean I'm organized? hmmmmm........?
January 19, 2014 at 9:30AM   
Terri Dunn
I like dishes, different looking, unique looking dishes
January 19, 2014 at 9:36AM   
pmurrin
Candles and kitchen gadgets.
January 19, 2014 at 9:42AM   
njanjam
rugs and dishes
January 19, 2014 at 9:52AM   
bluejeanroy
I was thrilled to see so many say lamps. I thought I was the only one. I usually rescue lamps or just create them myself so it's the lampshade that I'm always bringing home trying to match it up with one of my new creations, or one in the works, or maybe just one that's still in my head.
January 19, 2014 at 10:17AM     
marciasue
Tables! I can't stay away from wood tables! Usually antique! I love them!
January 19, 2014 at 10:18AM   
Mona Cenatiempo
Sleeping pillows are my thing. Every year I throw the old ones out to the carport area for the neighborhood cats to use when they are locked out of their house in the winter. But sometimes I hang on to one or two-or four, and have too many hanging around!
January 19, 2014 at 10:31AM   
Joanne Leclerc
Throws and pillows for sure, I love to cuddle up with a good book on a cold day. So, I love throws, quilts etc. So nice and comfy!
January 19, 2014 at 10:37AM     
yuisa
I love art, I have so much I keep it in a room closet. Can't help myself when I see something inspiring or pretty.
January 19, 2014 at 10:39AM   
lapriel
Linens: sheets, pillowcases. Embroidery pieces.
January 19, 2014 at 10:43AM   
Carolina Girl
Accent Pillows; just bought two for my sofa. Prior to that I had bought two pillows and didn't even know where I was going to use them but I loved them, they are now residing on my bed and look terrific. The thing I like about accent pillows ~ they make such a change to the space without spending a great deal of CA$H.
January 19, 2014 at 10:55AM   
Andrea Poister Lofton
Candles
January 19, 2014 at 11:03AM   
floridagal513
Throw blankets and pillows. For some reason I can't stop buying throws! I love them!
January 19, 2014 at 11:08AM   
samanthacarr
I love bright patterned cushions, throws/blankets!
January 19, 2014 at 11:33AM   
dchiampa
Love buying table clothes. Easy way to change the entire look of a room
January 19, 2014 at 11:48AM     
joannpb
Chairs! I am in love with chairs - big, small old, new, perfect, battered, clean, dirty - I love 'em all. I once found a somewhat squashed antique, children's wicker rocking chair, in the dump. It was totally unreclaimable but I took it home and washed it with the hose and stood it on the front stoop; darned if a local squirrel didn't take to sitting on it regularly.
January 19, 2014 at 12:10PM     
Chris Stout
New sheets
January 19, 2014 at 12:48PM   
Pat
Ceramic pieces and vintage pottery...it's an addiction.
January 19, 2014 at 12:49PM   
slbabb
Whenever I plan a dinner party, I always seem to need of accent dishes.
January 19, 2014 at 1:12PM   
dawnbc1
yes to the bowls, but not in a dish cabinet. I like organic and streamlined. In one room have a long, glass midcentury turquoise bowl that is the sole piece on a table and stands out like a beacon when the sun shines in. In another room, I have a beautiful old copper bowl that sits alone and gets the attention it deserves- it looks warm and rich.
January 19, 2014 at 1:25PM     
Julie Elder
We bought a house with glass-front cabinets, and I realized the dishes I've loved for all these years aren't CUTE. Started with collecting vintage Pyrex and mismatched Fiestaware, and I CANT STOP!! ;o)
January 19, 2014 at 1:36PM     
Linda Parsons w/Romanelli & Hughes Custom Builders
I can not pass up a pillow isle without looking for a new pillow or pillow covers. I know that I do not need anymore pillows, but I love all of the patterns and textures that they can bring to a room. I am constantly moving pillows between the great room, den, dining room, foyer or kitchen. In addition to pillows, I also seem to buy random loose fabric which is great to recover my random pillows!
January 19, 2014 at 1:37PM     
ariekekuperus
Photo frames so that I can display my massive pile of photos, the one shown I just recently bought and placed in my hutch because the white colour brightens and compliments the dark wood nicely.
January 19, 2014 at 4:05PM     
candicefer81
Dishes and bakeware! Wayyyy to many! Oh and candles....can. It have too many candles.
January 19, 2014 at 4:08PM   
jukirk
Glassware! I love bright, clean crystal on my counter, on my dining table, and in my china cabinet!
January 19, 2014 at 5:09PM   
Comforts of Home
Candles, all kinds. Scented, tapers, electric, cakes candles, jar candles, candles for bathroom, battery candles you name it:)
January 19, 2014 at 5:16PM   
angela_aube
Alessi Michael Graves bird whistle kettle
January 19, 2014 at 5:41PM     
76perez
I alwayes buy towels then accent around its color or design. Turno final touch has to be candles.
January 19, 2014 at 5:57PM   
ginadaisy
Old rickety wooden chairs that need major TLC! Usually I sidewalk shop for them but sometimes craigslist pulls me in. I have two extra rooms crammed with chairs I'm refinishing. I can't resist them, especially really sad Charlie Brown ones. I'm apprenticed to a furniture refinisher who's teaching me to make these into gorgeous pieces!
January 19, 2014 at 5:59PM     
Carolina Musick
Chairs. We hosted Thanksgiving for a crowd a few times, started collecting chairs to seat everyone, and it seemed to become a habit.
January 19, 2014 at 6:51PM   
alwaystotb
Anything for.the kitchen. I love a well equipped kichen whether or not I use it regularly.
January 19, 2014 at 7:42PM   
halleycomet
Oh chairs!!!!!!! I seem to have a passion and no room to indulge it tho--and yet---my basement has way TOO many rescue chairs! Well my living room does too ---my many times recovered over the years and not by me leather arm chair is now REALLY showing her age after two extremely active grand kids. At the price of leather I am now buying things like thrift store skirts and the like to eventually re-cover! THE most comfy chair for me ever.

I might be accused of "Animal Hoarding" if I asked HOUZZ to add that as a category but---for some reasons we are the place that will generally take unwanted pets and either keep them or re-home them. Expecting delivery tomoro of a tortoise! Note--please do NOT buy your kids these sorts of things for Christmas! We have in the past taken horses; goats; wild animals (used to do wild animal rehab) dogs guinea pigs etc. Now we have three dogs (two are my daughters) three guinea pigs a degu (rescue) a bearded dragon and four outside chickens. I feel better knowing that a local VET is keeping HER chickens IN HER HOUSE. Makes me feel positively--normal!

This is fun!
January 19, 2014 at 7:54PM   
lobatulus
I cannot resist rocks and fossils. I arrange them into different themes and make my guests guess the theme. I have little arrangements of rocks/fossils throughout the house.
January 19, 2014 at 7:57PM     
Reagan Fraser
Always buying vases and candles!!!
January 19, 2014 at 8:37PM   
DECO Window Fashions
Wrought Iron
January 19, 2014 at 9:12PM   
suzanne_m
For me it is mattress protectors. My dog pees in my bed so I need many mattress protectors which I cut all around to make it like a blanket. I need to change it 2 or 3 times a week so I need backups.
January 19, 2014 at 10:14PM     
kyalex
Ceramic and African art figurines, candles and framed wall art.
January 20, 2014 at 12:20AM   
cinders23
I often find myself purchasing new throw pillows, it is a cost-effective way to change/update the look of a room.
January 20, 2014 at 5:07AM   
barenda
Plants, for sure. I don't have the greenest thumb, so they don't really accumulate; they just get replaced.
January 20, 2014 at 5:34AM   
mackayc
Art work/Photography speaks to me the most. Whether it is a piece of Art I love and purchase or a picture I have taken and framed, if it doesn't go with one of my spaces now, I save it for my next room update and ensure it is encorporated and fits into the room.
January 20, 2014 at 5:43AM     
Ieva Avota
I currently don't by much stuff, but if I would those would be "Throws and Accent pillows" including table clothing. I don't have enough of them and I like to change colours from time to time. For example, I have now only orange, but I'd like to have also green theme or pink or yellow :) Actually there is the other stuff I do by almost all the time and that is candles. I like to have a candle lighting our dinner :) or breakfast or lunch :)
January 20, 2014 at 6:44AM   
jmcguire55
Pillows, candle holders, and vases.
January 20, 2014 at 7:36AM   
PirateFoxy
Throws. I'm a sucker for one that's pretty and softer and more cuddly than anything I think I have already.
January 20, 2014 at 7:40AM   
zandria251
Artwork and scented candles!
January 20, 2014 at 7:57AM   
damehc
Love lamps! Have a cigar box lamp, a silver tea pot lamp, a lunch box lamp for accents
January 20, 2014 at 8:04AM     
indianpatti
candles, dishtowels and dishes. Hubby moans every time I bring home more dishes.
January 20, 2014 at 8:06AM     
Studio M Interior Design
Decorative objects. Lord knows I don't need anymore of them but somehow I just cannot stop myself from falling for new pieces :)
January 20, 2014 at 9:55AM     
Allison Lee-Clay
pottery from artists' studios

Bowls, cups, platters, vases, tea pots...
January 20, 2014 at 10:18AM   
sbethschmitt
any gorgeous, interesting bowls and vases. I have to keep adding shelves
January 20, 2014 at 10:22AM   
pottersgirl
Different colors of quilts/bedding. Yes....I have a problem!
January 20, 2014 at 10:48AM     
Wendy Healey
I constantly buy pillows. A quick and inexpensive way to freshen a room, but I have accumulated so many I really don't need more!
January 20, 2014 at 10:53AM   
KAISER DECORATING INC
Pillows, pillows and more pillows, lumbar, throw, accent - I love them all.
January 20, 2014 at 12:09PM   
sheryl N
I love beautiful towels and things for the bathroom/washroom. Once I remember someone telling me that you can tell everything about a person by how they decorate their bathroom and how clean it is. Fast forward 20 years and one of my guests (I now live abroad, not in the US) who studied in the US then returned home, mentioned how much he liked my bathrooms, and that he learned in the US that you could tell alot about a person by how they design their bathrooms! Funny! Buy both of my bathrooms/powder rooms are pretty and I get lots of comments on my towels and decor! :-)
January 20, 2014 at 12:22PM   
farrellso
Bedding and throw pillows. I'm in the process of repainting our master bedroom, and I have more linen options than I can use!
January 20, 2014 at 12:46PM   
kimdem
TRAYS - I have many but can't resist them. Love this cute white one found recently at IKEA!
January 20, 2014 at 1:52PM   
debdishong
Artwork (but not of cows)! I don't know exactly what it is about a beautiful painting or a photograph but I always want to buy more!
January 20, 2014 at 2:47PM   
printesa
@sheryl N, it is true.,,,whenever I go somewhere, if the bathroom is clean and nice, I know that this is a clean house.
January 20, 2014 at 2:59PM   
mcmgal
Nick knacks. Especially mid century style cat figurines. Anything unique that fits with my contemporary decor
January 20, 2014 at 4:29PM   
Carol Kenney_Bearman
I stalk ebay for those 70's stretch vases... love them!
January 20, 2014 at 4:58PM   
skylark44
Pillows, pillows and more pillows! Can't get enough of them in every colour. Also, small canvas prints - there's always a space for them somewhere and I like to change them up with the seasons. Here's the latest two which I bought last week! Makes me think of warmer weather and picnics.
January 20, 2014 at 5:20PM     
lucyhomedecor
Pillows, knick knacks, platters, bowls & anything made in Italy. I love to change looks & do so every couple of months.
January 20, 2014 at 5:45PM   
Stephanie Coscia
Pillows and kitchen gadgets
January 20, 2014 at 5:52PM   
marjie1059
Last such items I bought...a $1 needlework pillow with the Nativity stitched on the front purchased at the local thrift store. It matches one I have, but I know one of my adult children will want it. The other recent purchase is a sherpa throw from Kohl's bought the day after Thanksgiving. It's my Christmas present to myself, as by the time my husband goes Christmas shopping, the gifts on my list are long gone. My absolute favorite Christmas present I've bought for myself....so soft and warm, almost as warm as the $5 green down comforter also bought at a local thrift store last year...and also originally from Kohl's.
January 20, 2014 at 6:58PM   
edithsmom
Like many others, I have lots of sofa & chair pillows, but mine come from Etsy.com. I can buy covers for winter, spring, summer, fall and they don't take up a lot of space...and my purchases support craftspeople.
January 20, 2014 at 8:13PM   
frenchcountryfan
I don't have one particular vice but lately it has been photo frames for family pictures. My latest purchase tho was a garden work bench. I have been wanting one for the longest time and had an opportunity to get one. Can't wait until Spring so I can put it to use.
January 20, 2014 at 9:57PM   
Natalie Sanderson
cushions, usually! A quick and cheap way to change the whole look of a room...closely followed by vases
January 21, 2014 at 12:07AM   
chaskaschindler
Throws and accent pillows, because it's an easy want to update a room or change it for the seasons without a big expense
January 21, 2014 at 1:00AM     
SuisseSwiss
Modern artworks which can sometimes be multifunctional.
January 21, 2014 at 8:27AM   
kayafortherain
Wool blankets!
January 22, 2014 at 11:01AM     
Andrea Turk
warm comfie sheets and cozy blankets :)
January 23, 2014 at 7:17PM   
rnanita
My name is Anita and I am addicted to mirrors and picture frames!
January 24, 2014 at 10:14AM   
jkinama
i fall in love with cups n mugs. every time i shop i spend hours browsing mug's section....my collection is slowly growing.
January 24, 2014 at 10:31AM   
jobrown35
Pillows and throws!!! Cozy things!
January 24, 2014 at 11:35AM   
eis1
I but too many toys and games.
January 24, 2014 at 12:29PM   
By Design
Candles and candle holders. Styles change often even with this simple accent.
January 24, 2014 at 1:05PM   
Leigh Remple
Pillows and throws you never have too many
January 24, 2014 at 1:24PM   
pixiemouse29
Accidentally voted vases as my first obsession. Pillows are my weakness, next vases
January 24, 2014 at 1:35PM   
azrescue36
Baskets, tins, boxes .... Any organization type of items! Can't get enough of them
January 24, 2014 at 1:41PM   
orly7369
Crochet table cloth from our honeymoon in Cyprus
January 24, 2014 at 1:53PM   
pattyflash
.n
January 24, 2014 at 4:14PM   
pattyflash
.
January 24, 2014 at 4:14PM   
rosebud3
I am downsizing so i have gotten rid of my cheap glasses that break if you lightly tap them against your faucet. Now I look in all the thrift stores/flea markets for vintage glasses. If there are at least two alike I buy them. It is fun and they are made of much thicker glass and not so likely to crack. And the colors, designs, patterns are fun.
January 25, 2014 at 7:13AM     
kd-design
Bright Pillows
January 25, 2014 at 12:06PM   
bbarick
Plants and rugs.
January 25, 2014 at 12:31PM   
Barnhart Gallery
Art supplies and picture frames too.
January 25, 2014 at 12:39PM   
Scot Samuelson, AIA/NCARB
I buy a lot of art work mostly oil paintings such as this huge canvas in the attached photo which is over 6 feet tall. I buy and sell often for myself as well as clients.
January 25, 2014 at 1:15PM   
Cynthia Farnsworth
Rugs, rugs, and more small rugs for layering. I buy them second hand usually, and I am constantly moving them around.
January 25, 2014 at 1:24PM   
Anne Sikorski-Schneider
Artwork! Definitely! I am always on the look out for great art!
January 26, 2014 at 9:43AM     
joannpb
I've been reading back over some of the posts and realize that most of the chosen objects are ones I was enamoured of at one time or another. I also find that I'm in awe of people who can handle large numbers of those objects with continuing sanity.

Let me give you some examples...
Teapots were once a fetish of mine; I never met one I didn't like. They come in all sizes and present all sorts of decorating possibilities. This is not, however, a really clever collectible for the housemate of a St Bernard or Newfoundland dog (or anything of similar size and tail wag). Actually, neither are clocks. On to bigger and better things...

Did you know that small area rugs make wonderful sleds for playful canines? The result being somewhat like trying to walk on the sale table at a fabric warehouse. Next we have...

Did you further know that both dogs and cats have uses for nests of pillows that no human has ever thought of? I've seen them explore some distinctly original decorating possibilities. (Not to mention the fact that a whole separate room is necessary to house the ones moved to allow a person to sit anywhere or - gasp - crawl into bed.) And then we have...

Photo frames! So many frames, so few walls; the boxes in the garage attic are an open shopping club for family and friends. It's truly amazing what uses one can find for a frame - trays, small table tops, kitchen backsplash (around tile on plywood back), drawer organizer, Lid for jewelry box built from wooden fish crate, a long, narrow one even went directly onto the wall around three decorative plates in the dining room. Yikes! I've been framed.

Blankets and throws - just OMG! I still have a dozen or so in the back of my vehicle for emergencies and padding.

Decorative plates - they competed with the frames till I decided to take back the house and sent them all away.

Metal shelf brackets - there are an amazing array of those, out there, and an endless number of clever things to do with them (well, almost endless).

Oh, I can't leave out the little tins with houses lithographed onto them (or tin anything with lithography) If you ever want to really lose a host of small objects, start storing them in little tins, placed artistically, all over the house - or even in the ones that have their own shelf, all the way around the top of the sewing room!

Well, not that there isn't more, but...Enough, already!

Oh, wait, one more. In my fabric lengths phase, I once bought 18 yards of a gorgeous golden tan suede-like fabric that was priced so right, I couldn't pass it up. Turned out to be impossible to sew with any kind of needle, glue with any glue that I found and the one method of making pieces adhere to each other was a strange industrial machine (multiple k$$) that actually melted the seams together. It didn't go completely to waste, though. I eventually used liquid nails, spread with a trowel, to wallpaper a bedroom wall. (I've often wondered if the people who bought my house ever tried to remove it.)
January 26, 2014 at 11:24AM     
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS TO @djbittle for winning a pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, you still have time to get your comments into our Remodel poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/820401/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--Remodeling
January 29, 2014 at 4:00PM   
cindytibs
cloches.....all sizes. I shove battery operated tiny, white lights in them for the holidays and on my deck in the summer. A fragile Christmas angel goes inside one, pinecones in another, the ideas are endless.
January 29, 2014 at 4:10PM   
POLL: Favorite fireplace look?
If you could design your dream fireplace, what materials...
POLL: Which House Building Toy is your favorite?
Do you have fond memories of using toys for building...
POLL: Favorite kitchen set up?
Which one of these kitchen set ups is your favorite? Vote...
POLL: Favorite outdoor room?
What's your favorite outdoor room style? Vote for...
Chandelier Decision
Hello ! Your advice is needed desperately to help me...
Styling Book Shelves
In theory, I understand some of the concepts of styling...
I need reupholstering advice
We have an old victorian aged row house that is decorated...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Need help with entry door color and shutters on a white cape cod house
I would love to do either black shutters and a brilliant...