Jonathan Sevitz
I’ve just bought a house, and I’m trying to figure out what to do with the lounge (pictures indicate furniture of original owners).

Challenge 1: Where do you put the TV? As we watch quite a bit of TV, I do want something that is a) in a good viewing location, and b) looks good in terms of room design (something contemporary).

Two walls have windows, one has a wood fireplace, and the 4th wall is the only ‘free’ wall’, but as it’s opposite the fireplace it’s not good for viewing angles. The current owners have the TV in the corner, which may well be the answer in the end, but I’m not fond of having a TV stuck in the corner…unless I can find a way of making it a feature in the corner and integrating it into the design of the room. (Corner TV units never look that great to me.)

Alternatives such as above the fireplace is not good for heat, ash, and also viewing angles as it will have to be placed rather high. Next to the fireplace will also be too much off centre.

Challenge 2: I’m looking for design ideas for the fireplace (and the room in general). I’m looking for a much more contemporary look - wooden flooring, black leather couches (most likely), possibly light natural wood coffee and side tables, and I want to plaster the fireplace wall and add some cladding surrounding the fireplace (like a pillar of cladding), and maybe integrate some wood on the wall (for design and shelving purposes). How do you do this (without doing too much ,and for a lasting look).

All ideas welcome!
Media Decor
Above the fireplace is probably the best solution. If using a Plasma TV, the viewing angles are not a problem in the room. The TV should be recessed into the wall because of the obvious soot and heat.

Budget allowing, conceal TV with a moving art or art lift.
http://www.mediadecor.com/

The stained ceiling gives a dated look. Have you thought of painting the ceiling and adding wood floors? Suggest a good Designer for this project.

Good luck!
January 30, 2012 at 10:23AM   
TanCalGal
How fortunate you are, this room has wonderful features. I love the ceiling, the brick fireplace wall (needs soot removal), the decorative molding at the windows. I'd buy the furniture and arrange the furniture in the room: at least make paper templates of the furniture you plan to buy and place them on the floor. This is called arranging the bones of the room and is the most important aspect of a pleasing room. After the bones are arranged, you will have a good idea for the best area for the TV. I'd have a similar arrangement as the prev-owners, but with the sofas pushed much closer together. Have you considered a TV ceiling or TV wall mount with the TV accessories (DVD etc) placed in another room or area with infrared remotes? CEILING TV: Contemporary Bedroom Infra-red REMOTES http://www.smarthome.com/770204IR/Channel-Vision-E4200IR-Micro-Modulator-4-Channel-w-IR-Repeater/p.aspx
The TV entertainment unit you have, if you decide to keep, might be fine across from the fireplace. You say the angle there is wrong for TV viewing. Maybe the TV mounts that electronically adjust wall & ceiling TVs to tilt etc. for viewing pleasure, can be installed in the TV cabinetry. I'd keep the brick as it is, it's a beautiful wall as is this stone wall, have a custom fire-screen, though Olive Tree Lane Brick walls are nice with the modern furniture you have in mind, too VP Interiors 2010 Windows with beautiful moldings are often best with no curtains. Maybe the moldings on the windows can be painted black to stand out more?: Dual Living/Family room OR a simple drape that can be pulled back to expose the windows. Traditional Bedroom
January 30, 2012 at 5:43PM   
TanCalGal
continued OR a simple drape that can be pulled back to expose the windows. Traditional Bedroom IF sun control is needed, note this treatment that has solar shades below the decorative window moldings Pacific Heights Residence - Study
January 30, 2012 at 5:44PM   
Jonathan Sevitz
Great, thanks for all the ideas. I like brick walls, I just think this one is a bit dated, so I'll definitively see if I can do something like that in the Olive-Tree-Lane link.

I like the idea of curtainless windows, though I think we'll go for a simple drape (maybe change the rails for something a bit modern) - to keep the sun out when needed. I'll try try the paper cutouts...with one for the TV to see if it can work above the fireplace.

Media decor - Painting the ceiling may be a good idea, or possible white-washing them, to see if I can get a more natural (but modern) wood look.
January 30, 2012 at 10:06PM   
TanCalGal
Came across this photo today. Note TV is recessed in an arch to repeat the beautiful arch of the door.
January 31, 2012 at 5:10PM   
bepsf
I love your space and the brick wall - so much character!
But why do you have so many sofas???

Get rid of the beige one, bring the white ones closer to one another in the center of the room so they can both reach the center coffee table, and move your armoire opposite the Fireplace.
January 31, 2012 at 7:18PM   
beth_any
Try to avoid placing furniture against the walls, especially because the doors are in the corners, let traffic pass behind the couches and around the living space. Maybe start space planning by removing 1 couch from the equation and centering them in the room across from one another, with the tv across. Maybe 2 chairs would be better than the third couch to form another nook/zone off to one side or the other. All in all you have a great start the brick has so much character, I think you can be a little bolder with color, like eggplant, green or black even to compliment the rust tones. Good luck!
February 2, 2012 at 4:10PM   
would like a fresh updated look to our 90's home and curb appeal
add a patio/courtyard, take off the shutters, replace...
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
Paint vs stain for trim
We are rebuilding and have replaced all windows trim...
Shutters or no shutters?
We are in the process of spicing up our exterior. We...
Need help for my bathroom
I want to know what vanity color goes with this tile...