Need Help matching this Goldenrod sofa
Debra Zarkivach
I purchased this new set, The picture is going it does not match. The sofa looks darker in the picture. The chair has odd colors in those flowers.
abbyjean
Are you wondering about a paint color? What about white? I know it sounds so basic, but I think it might work in this room now.
January 16, 2014 at 8:19pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
We did white first and everyone hated it.
January 16, 2014 at 8:20pm   
Debra Zarkivach
The picture is going I bought that a few years ago. It modern furniture so the picture don't match
January 16, 2014 at 8:23pm   
abbyjean
Oh, well, let me think. Cream is pretty similar to the white. Would tan/beige fight too much?
January 16, 2014 at 8:23pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
Your curtains look soooo nice with the couch! Would cream work, though?
January 16, 2014 at 8:24pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
TY, Next to the door is another Living Room 4 windows across the same curtains across. Other room is beautiful pastel. But this goldenrod. yikes
January 16, 2014 at 8:28pm     
Debra Zarkivach
OK
January 16, 2014 at 8:32pm   
Debra Zarkivach
This is the area where the wood stove is going next to this shelve
January 16, 2014 at 8:32pm   
Tres McKinney Design
I would consider painting the walls the smokey blue in the floral print of the chair and sofa pillows. The light minty green looks too weak with your furniture and fabrics. A deeper sage green would also work. Add a jute area rug to add warmth and texture and tie the furniture together. We don't have enough information to see what the furniture arrangement could be from the images you posted. But you will need a small table next to the chair if it is separated from the sofa, sofa side table and a coffee table or ottoman. Can the chair fit to the let side of the sofa with a table and lamp in the corner? My guess is that the seating arrangement is facing a TV or fireplace.
January 16, 2014 at 8:38pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Tomorrow I will post more pictures of the whole room. Yes it faces the TV
January 16, 2014 at 8:40pm   
Debra Zarkivach
We seem to have problems every time we purchase paint. We have purchased hundreds of $$$ on paint for this house and it never seems right.
January 16, 2014 at 8:44pm   
abbyjean
What about a light shade of gray?
January 16, 2014 at 8:49pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
mlprom
The couch is beautiful. I think by replacing the flowered pillows with white or a white throw, and changing the curtain color to white would tie the room together.
January 16, 2014 at 8:53pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Hi Debra, While abbyjean is focusing on your curtains, I'm wondering about your pillows! You bought a cute set there, but if you can change out the sofa pillows to some,that,coordinate but aren't an exact match, you will get a more relaxed and interesting look in your room.

Pulling the colors for your room from the arm chair means you will be working with the triad of green/yellow/blue. Since you like the green wall color (I assume?), maybe focus on blue, as well as neutrals and textures, for your pillow and accent colors.

The pillows below are all from Pier One. I'm not 100% sure if going into these teals will work since I can't tell exactly what shades of blue are in that floral pattern. If there is just a hint of teal, or blue-green, in any part of that pattern, then teal will work.
January 16, 2014 at 8:57pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Here are some more pillow ideas - first two are from Wisteria and are on sale right now. Second two are Crate & Barrel, and would bring on some texture.

After reading the above discussion about your wall color, I'm not clear on whether you would like to try one more time,to change it? Are you sticking with this green color?
January 16, 2014 at 9:07pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I Love the pillow idea. We need to change the wall color. I just went to the paint store and they are picking out dark blue colors.
January 17, 2014 at 9:44am   
Debra Zarkivach
The room is very small
January 17, 2014 at 9:45am   
Debra Zarkivach
Where the brick is in the middle is where the wood stove is going.
January 17, 2014 at 9:46am   
Debra Zarkivach
From wall to wall is not big at all.
January 17, 2014 at 9:47am   
Debra Zarkivach
The TV wall
January 17, 2014 at 9:48am   
Debra Zarkivach
The chair wall
January 17, 2014 at 9:49am   
craljh
I like the furniture. What was your objection to trying a blue grey like the flowers? Take a pillow into the paint store and they can match the color. I would perhaps do the very lightest grey in the center of the flower petals. I thing that might look good with the stone.
January 17, 2014 at 9:54am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The other Living room is next to this room. It is light all pastel. I was trying to carry the pastel over to this room.
January 17, 2014 at 10:00am   
Debra Zarkivach
Can the two rooms be so different in colors?
January 17, 2014 at 10:00am   
Debra Zarkivach
The House is small, very small rooms. It was so dark in here before. Trying to brighten it up.
January 17, 2014 at 10:01am   
mileenawins
Keep the painting! Love it. As for green, what about a hue that is warm toned?
January 17, 2014 at 10:04am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I Loved the furniture as soon as I saw it. But now I am unhappy. Those Flowers in the chair are odd colors. Dark Teal, Dark Beige, Kinda like an Olive Green. and a thin flower in brown.
January 17, 2014 at 10:07am   
Debra Zarkivach
Everyone that has been here. Loves the picture, But they say it don't match modern Decor.
January 17, 2014 at 10:08am   
Debra Zarkivach
They said to much flowers in one area.
January 17, 2014 at 10:09am   
Debra Zarkivach
The paint store is saying take a flower out of the pillow and paint the wall one of those colors. Olive Green with the yellow sofa. UGH.
January 17, 2014 at 10:11am   
kirstenl
I love the furniture. Have you seen Sherwin William's ivoire? It is a cream that leans toward a warm yellow. It may be too close to the sofa color. I have it every where on my ground floor. I think it would look nice with the stone, too. They say having a consistent color throughout a small house makes it feel bigger.
January 17, 2014 at 10:11am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
If i do a cream, Can I still use pillows like karemore55 showed?
January 17, 2014 at 10:14am   
mcbriec
I think this color would look fabulous and would pikck up the color in the print chair.

January 17, 2014 at 10:15am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
dbellisario
can you return the chair? it seems to be too much furniture for the room and then you can pick different colors to coordinate with couch.
January 17, 2014 at 10:15am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I like the second set of pillow pics. The top left, Looks aqua.
January 17, 2014 at 10:16am   
Debra Zarkivach
I like that color, What color is that?
January 17, 2014 at 10:17am   
kirstenl
Here is a snap of my LV with SW ivoire wall color. I use lots of gray blue as accents. We have a lot of snow right now, so the photo looks a bit washed out. I love this color because it is warm morning, noon and night.
January 17, 2014 at 10:20am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
kirstenl
Yuck, it is really washed out. Well, I wasnted you to know I use the blue as accent and it looks great. I am not a pro, however, as you can see from the photo.
January 17, 2014 at 10:21am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
mcbriec
Here's another choice. You might think it's too close to the current color, but I think your current color is a bit more minty.
This is SW sea salt.

I don't knowwhy the pic won't open. I guess you have to paste the link to pull it up.
January 17, 2014 at 10:23am   
Debra Zarkivach
I never thought Goldenrod would be so hard to match
January 17, 2014 at 10:25am     
Debra Zarkivach
Cannot return the chair, This set has been just sitting here because I haven't been able to match it right. As you can see by the pictures the tags are still on. hubby Loves the chair. If I could I would have returned it all.
January 17, 2014 at 10:29am   
studio10001
Debra, I suggest you go with a wheat or pale gold here - it will pull the highlight shade from your stone wall,it will meld with the adjoining space, and it will make the room feel brighter and larger by absorbing some of the sofa's visual mass. The photo below is SW torchlight, but should be taken as a general example - before you paint your walls yet again, try uploading your photos to either BM or SW to test some colours, and then bring samples home to test on the walls over the course of a day to see how you like the tones in different light.
January 17, 2014 at 10:29am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
No Kirsten it looks like from a magazine. It's beautiful.
January 17, 2014 at 10:30am     
Debra Zarkivach
Kirsten, If I do that wall color. Can I still add blue pillows.
January 17, 2014 at 10:44am     
kirstenl
If you look at your chair, it has all the colors you are asking about, just in different hues. I think it is cool how studio 10001 showed your room with a golden hue. If you google Shewin Williams ivoire and torchlight you can see other rooms done with those colors. I highly suggest spending money on a paint sample. I had SIX for my guest bedroom. My husband thought I was nuts, but he only had to paint the room once!
January 17, 2014 at 10:54am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
mcbriec
I'm always learning here. I LOVE yellow, but I thought the wall color should contrast with the sofa. But studio has pointed out that in a small room, having the sofa and walls the same color (or almost) would diminish the visual bulk of the sofa. Thx for expanding my horizons!
January 17, 2014 at 11:00am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Debra, I too like studio's suggestion for doing a soft wheat color in your room - something you can pull from the stone colors. I can see those teal and gold pillows still working with this color as well. Your sofa and chair are very pretty - don't second guess your choice! You fell in love with them for,good reason!
January 17, 2014 at 11:12am     
karemore55
What color did you paint your other living room btw?
January 17, 2014 at 11:13am   
karemore55
Do you have the name,of the wall color? And I assume the two rooms are kept separate by doors, ie. not open concept?
January 17, 2014 at 11:20am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
I looked at the SW Torchlight that studio suggested. It is quite orange (and bright!) as you can see below. Next two colors are the two shades lighter on the paint strip. It doesn't start looking yellow until you get to Inviting Ivory, the lightest color. So I think we are on the right track but maybe not there yet?

And as anyone of us will advise - it's really hard to recommend colors because,of monitors not showing true, and just not being right there in the room.

What is your preferred paint brand, Debra?
January 17, 2014 at 11:24am   
Debra Zarkivach
No doors, When you enter, Left one Living room, Right the other.
January 17, 2014 at 11:25am   
Debra Zarkivach
Karemore, It does not matter that both rooms are totally different styles and designs. Does it?
January 17, 2014 at 11:35am   
karemore55
And I assume you want to keep the lavender since it is working,so well. Is there a logical spot where you are changing colors then? And exact name of the lavender would help, plus a pic or two of that room.

Where I'm going g with this is the two rooms can be different colors,but should still flow. The lavender in the other room should be the same degree of lightness of darkness as the new color for this room. This is what hue is, which you were asking about. Most if the lavender is a soft pastel, this room should be equally as soft, maybe more greyed out than pastel though.
January 17, 2014 at 11:38am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Haha, messages crossed! Well a few pics are worth a thousand words, Debra! Can you post so we can all see the big picture? Thanks!
January 17, 2014 at 11:39am   
Debra Zarkivach
The pillows you posted the solid teal one in the first batch of pics. The flower in the pillow is just a tad bit lighter.
January 17, 2014 at 11:48am   
Kathleen Jamison
Study Crate and Barrel catalog, they are genius at using vintage era of your house with modern furniture. Note: you can have paint mixed in pint sizes to sample. This is new used to have to buy pint or the little jrs. #1 Problem is classic mistake...the furniture does not fit the space. Why this mistake is made so often is because that is how furniture stores merchandise and design and price. U must learn to chose outside the sets. Maybe you could switch with another room. Can you return the chair? It really does not matter what color u paint till this is solved.
January 17, 2014 at 11:49am   
karemore55
So, yes, teal will work. We can make this room work Debra!
January 17, 2014 at 11:51am   
studio10001
If you remove the pink sheers at the front door and keep the white trim consistent throughout for continuity, your foyer can provide the transition between the two palettes you have created - viewers do not see both spaces simultaneously.
Allow me to re-clarify: I am not suggesting Torchlight. Exact paint shades should be chosen at the store w your fabric samples in hand - naming the shade in the photo I sent you is only useful as a starting point at the sample rack, and is not a recommendation in any other sense. We can not pick exact colours for you over the internet, and I am suggesting the colour you see, not the name of the colour you see - they are two different things.
January 17, 2014 at 11:57am     
sweetdee920
I love your sofa!! And the color in Studio100001's picture. Maybe move the furniture around into a different configuration. I'm not a pro, but it really helps me to see things rearranged. Even if I end up going back to the original setup. Just an idea!! Good luck! I think the room looks warm and inviting.
January 17, 2014 at 11:58am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
sweetdee920
I bought a printed settee from Pier 1. I hated it! So I went back to the store and the girls worked with me adding pillows and throws until we all found a look i I liked. Now I love the piece. I wish I could come over and go shopping with you!! Don't give up, you'll figure it out!!
January 17, 2014 at 12:01pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The color of paint from the other room is Frosty Morning by Behr.
January 17, 2014 at 12:15pm   
Debra Zarkivach
The chair fits on that wall as there is nothing else there. I had picked out another sofa at the time but it was to big. That is another reason as this sofa is 84".
January 17, 2014 at 12:18pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Other room
January 17, 2014 at 12:23pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Other room
January 17, 2014 at 12:24pm     
Debra Zarkivach
You can see the new sofa from this picture in the other room.
January 17, 2014 at 12:24pm   
sweetdee920
We just bought a 1928 Spanish and the rooms are so small. All the furniture made today is soooo big. But, Debra, I think your choices are great. Just change out the pillows ( solid on the chair and sofa), shop at the discount stores too. Better prices, save your receipts. Maybe a rectangle, low pillow on the chair the color of the sofa will tone down the flower aspect. I like the painting over the chair! You gotta mix thing up a bit!
January 17, 2014 at 12:30pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
sweetdee920
Great picture. You can see that only one room is visible at a time. The colors flow nicely. All in the same family so to speak. Old houses come with their own dilemmas, right?
January 17, 2014 at 12:32pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
sueham2
Try Grey - wall color Behr abalone shell pwn-63
January 17, 2014 at 12:32pm     
saratogaswizzlestick
I think a light gray would go very well with your stone and gray and lavender is a classic combo. Love your sofa and love the pillows karemore55 posted especially the first one.
January 17, 2014 at 12:38pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
If you're trying to unite the two rooms you could just use another shade from the same color strip card as the adjoining color.
January 17, 2014 at 12:47pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
drmep
Debra,
You have a charming home (I grew up in one). I have a newer home and I'm replacing the smaller baseboard with the wider board like you have! I also have the same challenge with a similar color couch.
It's easy to stop liking your decorating ideas when they don't come together easily.
I think one problem you can easily solve is too many colors. First, remove the clutter and look at the room with all your basic pieces. Work with the chair and pillows you have. Buy the $3-4 sample colors (Home Depot and Menards will custom mix them) and paint them on a very large piece of cardboard or paneling, so that it covers the space behind the couch and between the windows. Look at each color throughout the day and in your evening lighting. I think the suggestions of the lighter (not too light) blue-grey in the pillows or a light wheat might the best first tries. Stay away from pastels.
You might want to consider painting the doors and trim the same color (again, put the large samples in front of the doors after you paint the room, then decide if you want monochromatic or white.) Don't change the baseboard color, but paint the ceiling trim the same color as the walls to give the illusion of little more height.
The stone wall is a little overpowering for a small room. I would put floor-to-ceiling bookcases in each corner flanking the stove, painted the same color as the walls. Will provide needed storage and give illusion of higher ceiling. If skill/finances allow, you might want to remove the brickwork and replace with the stones where bookcases could then be slightly recessed.
If you like the picture, put it in another room and bring in one that unites your color scheme.
I also think a small area rug is an excellent idea, but not sure what color until you have the room painted a color you like.
It also looks like you have 3 doorways/entrances to the room. Can you eliminate one or two of them? If one of the doors is to a closet, can you remove the door, paint the closet the same color as the room, and turn it into an interesting, useful space? Or seal and drywall the doorway and have it open into another room? Do you need to enter the room from two directions?
January 17, 2014 at 1:00pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
So here is your Frosty Morning from the other room. Next to it is Ben Moore Cream Froth, which darkens to an amber/orange tone. Next to Cream Froth is a B Moore color called Thinder. I chose it to represent the tones of your stone and the grout. The last color is S-W Inviting Ivory, which is the lightest color on the paint strip that had the Torchlight color rep suggested by studio1001.

When I look at these colors, the Cream Froth seems,to be quite harmonious with the lilac and COULD work with your sofa, but here is where you will need to do so e experimenting and be the judge.

You are right - the accessories and pics etc. normally (but not always) come,last. We should get that wall color down so we,will know where to go on other things. But staying in these gold/Ivory tones will be very harmonious,with the stone, and the teal will make a very nice accent color.
January 17, 2014 at 1:12pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
I should mention that as I was going through your pics again, I thought a nice spot for the arm chair would be to the left of the spot where the stove will be.

I can see that turning into a cozy little reading and sitting-by-the-fire nook! Floor lamp, ottoman, small side table.....oh yes!
January 17, 2014 at 1:17pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
If I happen to do a grey color. Would Teal decor match.
January 17, 2014 at 1:36pm   
drmep
I wouldn't focus on accent colors yet. A very light splash of teal might work in accessories on shelves, etc but in pillows it would probably clash with your floral pattern, but I could be wrong. If you have TJX, Marshalls, or Home Goods near you, shop there. They have a very friendly return policy, so I buy home decor all the time and look at it for several weeks sometimes before I decide whether or not to return.
January 17, 2014 at 1:48pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Debra, I don't see grey working because the color isn't in the arm chair print. Yes, it is in the stone, but the stone is more neutral than the floral pattern. It would be better to pull your colors from the chair,colors. Doesn't have to be the exact colors - just the tones. So you are looking at yellows, blues or greens.
January 17, 2014 at 2:00pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I like Behr Gentle Sky or Viking.....But something a bit lighter
January 17, 2014 at 2:12pm   
drmep
Can you send a close-up pic of the chair / pillow pattern?
January 17, 2014 at 2:15pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
This is the exact picture of the colors in the chair and pillows. The sofa is Goldenrod
January 17, 2014 at 2:35pm   
karemore55
Debra, Here is Gentle Sky, as well as Viking. Both would be way too bright and "baby room blue". If you go much lighter and more greyed out, like the third pic (Ben Moore Whirlpool) you would be getting something harmonious with the lavender color. I think it would be too greyed out for the cheery colors of your sofa and arm chair though.
January 17, 2014 at 2:40pm   
drmep
Thanks, Debra. That IS teal! You have a lot of great suggestions so far. When I get paint swatches, I take several of each color, and then return them. Will help you narrow it down.
Time to bring in samples and see what works!
January 17, 2014 at 2:45pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
Oh, I thought the center of the green flowers on the chair was gray. That is how it looks on my Ipad. What color is it?

Oh, I see it is now that you have posted the picture. This is tricky. I would paint a white poster board and hold it up to your chair and stone. Nothing like seeing it in the room. I do like the gray with the lavender but perhaps that golden cream would be a better choice. I like big samples held against a white background. I agree those blues are too strong.
January 17, 2014 at 3:18pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The center of the Green flower is Blue.
January 17, 2014 at 3:28pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Karemore55, It just might be the one Cream Froth. I just don't get Cream walls and Gold Sofa. Would have never picked that until now. TY for all the help.
January 17, 2014 at 3:30pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
Wow, I thought is was a bluish gray!
January 17, 2014 at 3:32pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
Could a beige/light tan like the boxes on your shelves work?
January 17, 2014 at 3:36pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Let's try this. Here is Cream Froth with your sofa and some,of the pillows. It might not be THE ONE, but it is a place to start!
January 17, 2014 at 3:42pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Emma Connelley
I can help you please consider this
January 17, 2014 at 4:38pm   
Debra Zarkivach
I cannot give up. I cant keep sulking because I can't get it right. I have to continue this project. What good is it to have a nice room w/ new furniture if you won't even go in it because it reminds you of a Shamrock Shake.
January 18, 2014 at 9:19am     
Debra Zarkivach
I am stuck between Ben Moore Cream Froth, and Sherman Williams Ivoire, What does everyone think?
January 18, 2014 at 9:21am   
karemore55
Debra, Do you want to try gold/wheat color but go a little darker than the cream color?
January 18, 2014 at 9:22am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
I like the cream froth with the couch, but not with the chair. And I am happy you are not giving up and it WILL be a beautiful room when you make the right choices.
January 18, 2014 at 9:24am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
karemore55.....will you show those pics the same way, but with the Ivoire???
abbyjean
I have to be honest and say the conversation yesterday was not read.....hate to be one of those posters.........but will take a mojito if necessary! A gold/wheat sounds good, too.
January 18, 2014 at 9:27am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
studio10001
ivoire and 'flower' blue:
January 18, 2014 at 9:43am     
Debra Zarkivach
I have read everything each person has posted and have taken it very serious. I was up all night looking at colors, so much so they started to all look the same. I have post it notes all over with every single color that you have all mentioned. You have to take into consideration that decorating comes natural to most of you. I see that by your posts and pictures. But to some it takes a bit. I had no issues with my other room. But now I have become stuck and if I didn't value and believe in your choices I would not be here. Times have changed and so have colors. Things that did not go well together in the past now go together extremely well. Let's face it everything in your home is about color and matching. Please keep sending me ideas and your thoughts. I feel like this site has become a teaching and learning site. And can't wait to see more. Years ago do you ever recall someone painting there rooms the same color as there furniture. Nope we used white for everything. The only porch colors we used was battleship grey. If anyone can relate to this. This is actually kind of hard. So bare with me.
January 18, 2014 at 9:46am     
abbyjean
Thank you.......I like that ivoire when I see it in the room like that and maybe it does not fight with the chair. And if we can move the couch to the space where the chair is and float the chair by the fireplace, it will break up the color, too.
January 18, 2014 at 9:47am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
Your feelings are soooo natural....thanks for sharing. And it takes a brave person to come here and post like you are, too.
January 18, 2014 at 9:48am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
We tried to move the sofa where the chair is and it goes past the door. The wall where the chair is located is a very small area. We tried to put the chair next to the sofa in the corner and the 2 pieces were stuck. The biggest area is where the sofa is located.
January 18, 2014 at 10:07am   
karemore55
Here is the Ivoire again - a closeup next to the sofa color and,patterns. I'm liking it very much.
January 18, 2014 at 10:07am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Will the chair not go to the left of the stove area? In that corner?
January 18, 2014 at 10:08am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Where the shelve is?
January 18, 2014 at 10:10am   
studio10001
Debrah, I am glad to hear you have been looking at some new possibilities. I suggest that you take a cushion and photo of the fireplace to the paint store and pick up some samples, more reliable than these monitor images, with the help of a SW rep. You may also be a good candidate for an in home colour consult - a bargain compared to wasted paint selections.
January 18, 2014 at 10:10am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
It is a small room with not a lot of natural light. Plus the stone will suck up a lot of light. My preference would be for the Ivoire or something similar. But studio's rendition with the blue is pretty and if you wanted a cozy, den-like feel, you could go darker like this.
January 18, 2014 at 10:10am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
There is a bedroom door there. The chair will stick out
January 18, 2014 at 10:13am   
karemore55
Oh, I see now that you have a door there, plus the TV. Where does that door lead? And could the TV be moved - not that I can think of a better spot for it! But, to another room maybe? Maybe to the lavender room?
January 18, 2014 at 10:13am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Messages crossed! So the TV must stay in this room also, or is there some flexibility there?
January 18, 2014 at 10:14am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
salvanv
Whatever color - wheat or grey, it will be very important that it work with the stone. Whatever you choose it will need to be "greyed out" and not so "cutesy" like the the mint green. The color should be a background and not jump out at you
January 18, 2014 at 10:15am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
What are the dimensions of the room, Debra? And is there any way you could sketch out the floor plan so we can remember where the doors are?
abbyjean
I think I am liking the ivoire, too.
January 18, 2014 at 10:15am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
There is a picture of the full set of furniture on the Ashley site. There picture shows a blue. But it is light blue.
January 18, 2014 at 10:17am   
karemore55
As I was studying this pic, I was struck by how nicely the darker flowers in the pillow picked up,that grey stone on the wall. See, you knew what you were doing when you were drawn to those colors - you just didn't know it!

This room has so much potential - do t you give up, hon!

This pic, so far, is probably the best one for showing the layout of the space.
January 18, 2014 at 10:19am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The room is 13 by 14 and it has 4 doors, 2 doorways and the door next to the chair leads to the basement. and the door next to the shelve/TV is a Bedroom.
January 18, 2014 at 10:20am   
Debra Zarkivach
Don't mind the cat toys we have 6. And they have there own toybox.
January 18, 2014 at 10:21am     
Debra Zarkivach
His Dad made the bricks one by one. This small House had Fireplaces everywhere.
January 18, 2014 at 10:22am   
karemore55
Is the room big enough to have that sofa facing the stove wall, but pulled away from the wall so that you have a couple of feet behind it to get over to the DR?

Then the TV could move to the left of the stove (if that's not too dangerous), and the arm chair to the right of the stove?
January 18, 2014 at 10:23am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Sorry, I meant door to bedroom, not dining room.
January 18, 2014 at 10:23am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Or could the sofa face the window, but be about 30" in from wall so as to allow access to the bedroom? Then TV in corner where cat stand is. Arm chair angled toward stove, just inside entryway?
January 18, 2014 at 10:26am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
That flute in the brick in the middle is where the stove is going. The Town is coming next week to check that area. It will come out a bit from the wall of course
January 18, 2014 at 10:28am   
karemore55
I can see my proportions are off as the room is looking quite spacious. I'm also missing a doorway or two lol! But do you think this arrangement could work?
January 18, 2014 at 10:31am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The sofa is way to big to move where the chair is. It really sticks out.
January 18, 2014 at 10:34am   
Debra Zarkivach
We actually thought about this with the last set. But the Sofa sticks out. It would block either the entrance way or the basement door.
January 18, 2014 at 10:35am   
Debra Zarkivach
What is that square in front of the sofa you made? A table?
January 18, 2014 at 10:36am   
Debra Zarkivach
The sofa is 88" and where the chair is 84" Now he says we should have just bought a Loveseat.
January 18, 2014 at 10:40am   
studio10001
*L* ( I notice the responder that suggested the flower blue has removed their recommendation for it ..think we can take that as a " thumbs down?) :)))
January 18, 2014 at 10:45am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
How far can the sofa stick out away from the wall?
January 18, 2014 at 10:47am   
Debra Zarkivach
I like the idea of the sofa facing the stove. And the chair in the corner
January 18, 2014 at 10:50am     
Debra Zarkivach
In the picture where you have the stove that would be where you put the chair.
January 18, 2014 at 10:52am   
karemore55
Yes, that was a coffee table (that doesn't exist yet :)). If you could float the sofa in the room with about 30""behind it, you will have a passageway behind it. Or float it with just enough room to swing open a door behind it, plus a few extra inches. If the 14' part of the dimensions is running from the stone wall over to the basement door wall, it makes me think you could place the sofa about 11' away from the stone wall (facing the stove) and make it work.

But from a visual (aesthetic) perspective, floating it facing toward the window is better. This way, when you walk into the room you see the welcoming sofa next to the stove. The other way, you would see the back of the sofa which isn't so pretty. But you do what you have to do!

Your room dimensions are quite decent. There should be a way to float that sofa away from the walls.
January 18, 2014 at 10:53am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
I looked on the Internet to see if I could find paint colors others have used with your set. Here is what I found.
January 18, 2014 at 11:01am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
The chair can't go there if the stove is going to be there lol! If it wasn't for the TV, you could put the chair in that corner by the window. But the TV needs a spot.

And just thinking it through a bit, in order to watch the TV in that corner, you would be facing the window which means you will need some blinds on the window, or something to keep,the glare out.
January 18, 2014 at 11:02am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
That's a pretty color Saratoga. Nice detective work! Reminds me of Ben Moore Smoke. This is it, along with a room painted this color. Maybe something a tad lighter than Smoke would work.
January 18, 2014 at 11:06am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Here is the color,that is shade lighter - Iceberg. Also, shown in a room along with coordinating colors. The coordinating colors look to be harmonious with the stone colors.
January 18, 2014 at 11:13am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
I like both the ivorie and iceberg. It is amazing how you find these colors, pillows ect so fast karemore55.
January 18, 2014 at 11:27am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Do both of those colors ivorie and iceberg go with Teal?
January 18, 2014 at 11:41am     
Debra Zarkivach
Karemore55, You did a picture above of the sofa and pillows with ivorie. Can you do it with iceberg? Thank you.
January 18, 2014 at 11:44am     
karemore55
Here it is with Iceberg. You might need to go,with a blue that has a little more green in it, like maybe Palladian Blue.

I am just heading out for a bit. Could look for other colors later.
January 18, 2014 at 11:54am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
m3459
BM Sea Haze......kind of gray, kind of blue, hints of green. Draws color from its surroundings. Might work, Karemore!!
January 18, 2014 at 12:23pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
@m3459, you're right - Sea Haze could work! I am posting Sea Haze as well as Gray Owl, which is one shade lighter than Sea Haze.

Debra, can you take your sofa pillow plus maybe a swatch of the sofa color to,the paint store, as studio suggested, and hold up all these colors to,them -'see what you think? Maybe get the people in the store to help you? And grab other possibilities while you're at it?
January 18, 2014 at 3:57pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
And let's not forget the lavender color from the other living room. The two rooms should flow.
January 18, 2014 at 3:58pm   
karemore55
First collage is with Sea Haze. Second collage is with Gray Owl.
January 18, 2014 at 4:12pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I like the Sea Haze
January 18, 2014 at 4:14pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Is that Ben Moore?
January 18, 2014 at 4:15pm   
Debra Zarkivach
I like the Sea Haze a lot actually.
January 18, 2014 at 4:16pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I have a Ben Moore store right by my Home, They are just going to Love seeing me.
January 18, 2014 at 4:30pm     
karemore55
Of course they - they want your money LOL
January 18, 2014 at 4:33pm   
karemore55
Yes it is Ben Moore. Remember to try other paint chips. And once you have narrowed it down, buy those tiny sample pots, paint a poster board you can hold up - or paint a section of wall - and show us what ya got!
January 18, 2014 at 4:34pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Have you tried moving furniture around?
January 18, 2014 at 4:34pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Yes, But we put it back. We like it better the way you said, Looks like we would have more room. Except the couch seems to either go past the entrance way a bit or past the door leading to the cellar.
January 18, 2014 at 4:38pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I would have to re paint the wall white first. Correct?
January 18, 2014 at 4:39pm     
karemore55
So you like it better facing the window, or facing the stove wall? As long as you can move behind it the doorways don't matter:))
January 18, 2014 at 4:41pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
NO! You don't need to prime OR paint the walls white! Just scuff up the walls a bit with sandpaper, then paint away. Two coats should do it. The only time I have had to go to a third coat is when I am painting the walls white. But I haven't used primer in EONS!
January 18, 2014 at 4:42pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
craljh
Nice going Saratog, I vote for Gray Owl but I like deep colors even with small rooms.
January 18, 2014 at 4:43pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I like the sofa facing the brick wall/ stove
January 18, 2014 at 4:47pm     
pattikee
How bout putting the couch on the stone wall and painting the walls a gold shad a bit lighter than the couch.
January 18, 2014 at 4:53pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Brandi Nash Hicks
Funny I see this one person comment on every thread ...like she is the queen of decorating,ignore her...and I love your furniture choice by the way
January 18, 2014 at 4:55pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
Sea Haze is very nice and I love the pillows chosen in that set up, too!!!
January 18, 2014 at 4:56pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
I like the Gray Owl as well but both work and since the room is dark the Sea Haze may work better. Sample boards are definitely the way to go to hone down your final choice. I think the paint will cover your walls easily with no primer needed.
January 18, 2014 at 5:01pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Patti, i cant put the sofa by the stone wall the wood stove going in next week.
January 18, 2014 at 5:04pm   
Debra Zarkivach
I like the sea haze with the pillows also. Hubby working on stove. I am working on paint. I think I would rather switch jobs with him.
January 18, 2014 at 5:06pm     
abbyjean
Paint is soooo powerful and can really change a room, which you are finding out. I like to think it is also a cheap fix, too. With your curtains and new furniture and new fireplace stuff, the paint will bring it all together. The pillows chosen will also be soooo fun to add to this room!!!
January 18, 2014 at 5:08pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Going to get a few samples like everyone said. I know I am jumping the gun here. But can someone tell me if the IMAX Vargas Cutwork decor bowl goes with the sofa?
January 18, 2014 at 5:11pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Cheap for you maybe. We have spent a lot of $$$ on paint. We have gallons downstairs from so many mistakes.
January 18, 2014 at 5:13pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I Love the pillows that Karemore55 posted.
January 18, 2014 at 5:15pm     
abbyjean
Sorry. I did not mean to offend you with the cost of paint statement. So sorry!
January 18, 2014 at 5:21pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Debra,
Is this the vase you mean? It's very pretty - looks like it,would go with pretty much anything. You have very good taste!

The pillows are inexpensive. Abbyjean is right - all things considered, paint is cheap. It's too bad you had to go through so many trials, and I'm surprised you didn't get a bit of guidance from the paint store.

For future reference, don't even bother looking at the pastels and the bold colors on the paint boards. Go straight to those more greyed out colors, usually toward the bottom of the boards. These are the softer colors that are easier on the eye.

We haven't talked about curtains either! ,maybe we'll give you a break while you paint lol!
January 18, 2014 at 5:22pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Sorry - forgot to post the vase!
January 18, 2014 at 5:23pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
Is this the vase?
January 18, 2014 at 5:24pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I never even knew about this site until of course I was looking for paint. And I am so glad I found it. Karemore55 and her pictures have given me a better understanding.
January 18, 2014 at 5:27pm     
karemore55
Of course it goes with the sofa - because you have great taste! But you know you'll need a coffee table to put it on, right? :)))
January 18, 2014 at 5:28pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
A picture is worth a thousand words - and five gallons of paint!
Debra Zarkivach
Curtains, O Gosh if you think the paint project is bad, Don't even mention curtains. Yes your right. Let's wait.
January 18, 2014 at 5:48pm     
karemore55
Yes, we will wait. Houzzers are patient ;-)
January 18, 2014 at 6:00pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Debra, I just noticed the two collages I posted of Sea Haze and Gray Owl are reversed from what I described. The lighter color is Gray Owll, and the darker one is Sea Haze. Kind of a serious error - so sorry! Don't want you painting yet again because of a color mix-up!
January 18, 2014 at 6:56pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
studio10001
Rather than placing samples directly on the wall, try using poster board, so that you can move the sample around and see it in different areas of the room and in different lights. I urge you to bring home paint cards before buying sample cans - you will be able to weed out many shades without having to make a sample board. Concentrate only on the stone wall and upholstery currently in the room to gauge what will work best. The rest can be dealt with after.
January 18, 2014 at 7:27pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Will do. TY
January 18, 2014 at 7:35pm   
karemore55
I totally second what studio just said!

I think it was me who said I didn't think Gray would work because it is t in your pillows. I probably shouldn't have said that because there are so many shades (tints) of Gray that many grays will I. Fact work. The Gray Owl you are considering, for example, is maybe not a true Gray, but it is a grated-out color. You will see a lot of green in it, though, in a room. And the co,or of the furniture you add changes the co,or so much. P,us the light coming I to the room.,,,it's. O wonder you have tried five times to get the perfect color!

So, as studio warned, bring home,lots of paint chips. Carry them around holding them up to things. You will see that some colors fight a bit with certain colors in the room. Others will look very pleasing.

I think I was picturing something like the grays below when someone suggested or asked about Gray. I was probably not thinking that through entirely!
January 18, 2014 at 7:37pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
And just for comparison, here are Gray Owl and Sea Haze again.
January 18, 2014 at 7:39pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
You are amazing to work with.
January 18, 2014 at 7:40pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I am going tomorrow. Bringing the pillow and some pictures of the sofa and stone wall.
January 18, 2014 at 7:41pm     
Debra Zarkivach
But I do like Gray owl
January 18, 2014 at 7:41pm     
Debra Zarkivach
isn't is true that Gray is a neutral color?
January 18, 2014 at 7:42pm     
studio10001
Yes, but that is deceptive. Grey shades have undertones of blue, green, purple -some appear taupe in certain light, and others can look like white....until placed against white.
January 18, 2014 at 7:49pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Yes, I would say its neutral like white or taupe. But all three colors have so many variations - white, for example, could have yellow undertones, or maybe pink undertones. So I guess you could even get that wrong lol!

Some colors are very chameleon-like. ,they can look so different under different lighting, or in different rooms where the furniture colors are different. Very fascinating actually!
January 18, 2014 at 7:51pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Haha, studio and I channelled each other!
January 18, 2014 at 7:52pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
I will say that even though Gray Owl suggests that it is a gray, you will find that it is more of a greyed out green. Not saying that will be your perfect co,or, but you will find your perfect co,or in those grayed out hues - not the pastels and brights.
January 18, 2014 at 7:54pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
We are moving the Furniture like Karemore55 Suggested. I am not use to furniture being away from the wall. That sounds crazy right? Just not use to that. Moving TV to corner, But that will pose a new problem as the flooring was just installed and there will be a hole in the floor from the cable wires. I will post pics of the furniture moved. Going to the paint store now.
January 19, 2014 at 8:30am     
Debra Zarkivach
Sofa now where the chair was. What do you think?
January 19, 2014 at 10:57am     
karemore55
Looks good, Debra! Looks like you have room to walk behind OK, right?
January 19, 2014 at 11:15am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
the essentials inside
I would definitely go with the Blue! It ties it altogether.
January 19, 2014 at 11:21am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
For some reason i stayed clear from the Blues looked to baby like. I have picked up the colors from Ben Moore paint store. I am placing my picks on a white board and carrying it around the room. I will place the board over the sofa with my Favorites for input. I will post later. Thanks Everyone
January 20, 2014 at 10:42am     
Debra Zarkivach
Narrowing it down.
January 20, 2014 at 3:48pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Ben Moore, Straw, Filtered sunlight, oklahoma wheat, rich cream, gray owl, lion yellow, cream.
January 20, 2014 at 3:53pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I love the gray, But gray stone wall
January 20, 2014 at 3:53pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Does Gray go with Gold? I went to pier 1 to look at some decor like Karemore55 showed in her pictures.
January 20, 2014 at 7:29pm     
Nancy Walton
I like the Oklahoma Wheat. It has a gold tint that seems to go well with the sofa AND the curtains.
January 20, 2014 at 7:54pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
Did you find some fun things at Pier 1?
January 20, 2014 at 8:36pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I sure did.
January 21, 2014 at 8:04am   
Debra Zarkivach
We Love the Gray but between the brick wall, And now the floor area were the stove is going. Looks like to much.
January 21, 2014 at 8:06am     
handymam
I know I am late to this party, but I think you should find a paint swatch to match the blue in the pillows, and then use the same color, but lighter. Not pastel light, but light. Yellow/gold and blue are a classic. I really dislike the thought of grey for this room, it just ignores the charm of the print fabric.
January 21, 2014 at 8:17am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Good morning, Debra! I think one of those yellows will be your perfect color! Yellow will be the perfect foil to the grays in the stone. Yellow and gray go together beautifully!
January 21, 2014 at 8:21am      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Nancy Walton voted for Oklahoma Wheat first - maybe we should start with that. Are you able to hold a sample of that color up against first the sofa, then the chair, then the stone - and post pics of all three?
January 21, 2014 at 8:23am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
sure TY
January 21, 2014 at 8:30am     
mefor
I think a blue gray would be your best bet, nothing too strong though.
January 21, 2014 at 11:02am     
mefor
Had anyone recommended SW Upward? Very soft gray blue. :)
January 21, 2014 at 11:04am   
mefor
Let me just put them next to each other :)
January 21, 2014 at 11:08am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
handymam
I like that Mforr, that is kind of what I meant about the same as the blue in the pillow, but lighter.
January 21, 2014 at 11:18am     
carolins
SW Upward and SW Lemongrass in your room:
January 21, 2014 at 11:25am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
mefor
They're both really pretty :)
January 21, 2014 at 11:28am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
I think you need to ground this room with an earthy color like SW Nomadic Desert;)
SW6107 Nomadic Desert by Sherwin-Williams
Surrey
January 21, 2014 at 12:03pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
towanda53
Those last two pics are pretty. How does the boss of the room--the fireplace--like those colors?
January 21, 2014 at 2:25pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
towanda53
I'm watching your discussion closely. I have a "goldenrod" sofa too, teal accents, and a bossy fireplace wall. I think we even have the same rug!! (Mine is too small and needs to be replaced.) My room is currently white, and you can see that the fireplace doesn't like it so much. So I'm waiting to see what you do! Thanks!
January 21, 2014 at 2:39pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
handymam
What a lovely room towanda!
January 21, 2014 at 2:43pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
towanda53
Thanks. But, like Debra, I'm totally stumped on wall color. So I'll just hang out and see what you all come up with. Just not white.
January 21, 2014 at 2:49pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
studio10001
(towanda, you have more options available {bronze, amongst others} and may prefer to start a thread, or upload to BM/SW to explore them all.)
January 21, 2014 at 2:51pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
I really like the gray blues in your room. I think it will go well with your stone and the lavender in the next room as well.
January 21, 2014 at 4:27pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
m3459
I like Margo's Nomadic Desert. And even though I thought maybe Sea Haze might work, I am now thinking going more a yellowy taupe to take some of the contrast out of the room. Or "ground it" as Margo so professionally says ;-)
January 21, 2014 at 4:33pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
With the yellows and golds. The whole room looks gold. All you see is yellow and gold. If i add Gold, Yellowish, Wheat paint to the room. Your skin would even look yellow. Just to much the same.
January 21, 2014 at 5:43pm   
Nomadic Desert is not yellowy;)
January 21, 2014 at 5:49pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The gray looks like to much with the brick wall. And the flooring square that is going under the stove is gray. It would be to much. Blue is out as i dislike blue. And when i try and match the blue it does not go at all with the light lavender in the other room.
January 21, 2014 at 5:52pm   
Debra Zarkivach
It is very close to oklahoma Wheat.
January 21, 2014 at 5:53pm   
Debra Zarkivach
The Blues also do not go with the light lavender. I want teal accessories.
January 21, 2014 at 5:55pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Someday i will get paint on this wall. So i can move on with many other projects we are working on.
January 21, 2014 at 5:56pm   
studio10001
Debra, your accents are going to cut into that effect - considerably. Your plans for new artwork and cushions will stand out more, and you have the option of adding white drapery which will play up the new chair more, as well. The idea is to let the wall colour support additional choices, and maintain as much spaciousness as possible. Head toward light versions for comparison, if these leave you uncertain.
January 21, 2014 at 5:58pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
studio10001
We overlapped - are you saying that you like the wheat shade best?
January 21, 2014 at 5:59pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
handymam
I am so lost what you are looking for at this point it isn't funny. Do you like any of the suggestions anyone has made? If so, go buy those little sample jars that every brand carries and try them out. You are really the only one that can see how the colors look in your house. The monitors distort colors. If you find some you like, paint some poster boards with the color and place them around your room.
January 21, 2014 at 6:00pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
The Fire Marshal came out to check the area. He stated the sofa can stay out in the room. I like it like that. But that would mean no coffee table as the measurements are not enough space from the fire. So i either move the sofa back or forget about a table. What a Disaster this has become. Instead of getting better it's just gets worse.
January 21, 2014 at 6:01pm   
Debra Zarkivach
I have all the cards from Ben. Moore. I even bought pictures and the Pillow. I got more help on here than there. I posted them and carried them around trying to match. I am going tomorrow to get 3 samples now. Oklahoma Wheat, Straw and Cream. Then i will paint the wall the 3 shades a row of each one. Where the picture is. And 3 rows over the chair. Then i should be able to tell.
January 21, 2014 at 6:06pm     
joots07
my vote is filtered sunlight. It would pick up the mortar in your stone wall, but be a bit brighter, and match your couch AND go with your floor, another important element. I also suggest using a primer. It's a cheap way to mask the green, easier than sanding and cleaning. Don't paint the walls white or use plain white primer. Get the paint store to tint the primer close to the color of the paint you choose. Then you can do just one coat of paint.
January 21, 2014 at 6:08pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
studio10001
Chin up - nesting tables can often be a better choice than coffee tables, anyway. That way you can move them where and when you like. Metal choices would be nice here.
January 21, 2014 at 6:13pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
studio10001
These are from costplus, with an additional 15% of the current sale. Picks up your flower pattern, and though not a nester, would move about as needed:
January 21, 2014 at 6:25pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
January 21, 2014 at 6:26pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
handymam
The reason I suggest poster board is so you can view the colors in different parts of the room, next to the fireplace, near the window, over near a doorway that has a view of he connecting room. Also, you need to look at the colors during different times of the day. That is really the easiest way to do it in the long run. And I agree, get primer tinted.
January 21, 2014 at 6:46pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Debra, Regarding the coffee table situation, studio1001 is right - you can just use two nesting tables or side tables as your coffee table. And if they are made of metal or other non-combustible materials, you will be fine.

Here are a few possibilities - all metal from Crate & Barrel, metal and bone inlay tile from West Elm, and ceramic drum stool from World Market.
January 21, 2014 at 10:19pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Hi Debra, Have you had any luck choosing a paint color? Can we be of help to you?
January 31, 2014 at 12:14pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
No Karemore55. I have not been able to choose. Blue is out. Green is out. Gray is out. I am going with aqua like decor. Still deciding right now on paint.
February 1, 2014 at 11:58am     
karemore55
Do you mean aqua as in teal for the decor? So, you are probably going to go with a couple of the Pier One pillows? Because, the more colors you have to consider, the easier it will be to choose your wall color - believe it or not! You can then hold your paint chips, or painted poster board up to a little grouping of the sofa pushed up to the stone wall (temporarily), with the chair nearby and a couple of the teal pillows on the sofa.

You can then stand back and take it all in, and it will be more obvious what is or isn't working.

I still lean toward Ivoire or something quite creamy and muted (earthy, if that makes sense!) to harmonize with the stone, yet allow the colors to pop.

Let us know once you have a few samples painted and you could show us this little vignette.
February 1, 2014 at 12:07pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Hi Debra, I had a go at trying to paint your room using the Sherwin Williams app. Very clumsy attempts, let me tell you! However, I tried the Kilim Beige that Margo suggested a ways back, along,with Buckram Binding which is similar, plus Classic ?Ivory. Looking at the three (and these aren't perfect representations), I'm wondering if these warmer neutrals are the way to go -'Kilim Beige or Buckram Bimding or similar. Mother look like the color of peanuts to me!

So I'll post the colors, as well as the lousy paint job, for you to mull over. Kilim is first, Buckram is second.
February 1, 2014 at 5:38pm     
karemore55
Here are the colors - same order:
February 1, 2014 at 5:38pm   
karemore55
I think Margo,was right when she said Kilim Beige or similar,would ground the space. These are earthier colors which will work well with the stone.
February 1, 2014 at 5:40pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
towanda53
Yes! The more earthy colors seem right with the stone. So nice of karemore to do this.
February 4, 2014 at 3:17am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I finally found the perfect color paint. In the process of painting now. The color is called Creamy from SW.
March 23, 2014 at 4:58pm     
Denita
Wonderful! Please post photos when you are finished:)
March 23, 2014 at 5:07pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
saratogaswizzlestick
That is good news. I am glad you found a color that works for you.
March 23, 2014 at 5:09pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
abbyjean
Happy Dance!!! Can't wait to see the NEW room!!!
March 23, 2014 at 5:14pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
mefor
SW creamy is a great color, should look really good :)
Can't wait to see the new pics
March 23, 2014 at 5:44pm   
karemore55
Way to go, Debra! We were hoping to hear back from you!
March 23, 2014 at 5:48pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Paint had primer in it. And still seeping through. Doing another coat tomorrow. Then I will post a picture.
March 24, 2014 at 8:40pm     
Debra Zarkivach
here it is.
March 25, 2014 at 3:23pm     
Debra Zarkivach
One with light. One in the dark
March 25, 2014 at 3:23pm     
abbyjean
Oh, sooooo nice! Looks great with the couch and the floor! Nice job!
March 25, 2014 at 4:15pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Ann
Very nice!
March 25, 2014 at 4:20pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Thank you. Really want to do Aqua Decor. The pillows are more blue than aqua.
March 25, 2014 at 4:35pm   
karemore55
It looks great, Debra! You can't go wrong with whites and creams! Can you take a pic showing the stone wall next to the paint? Just curious.

You can still do aqua AND keep the blue pillows. A. Is of blues will be very pretty.
March 25, 2014 at 5:49pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
That should read, "a mix of blues" ......I really should take the time to proof-read!
March 25, 2014 at 5:50pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Can someone please tell me if these match? And do i have them placed correctly? Thank You.
June 13, 2014 at 5:18pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Picture 1
June 13, 2014 at 5:19pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Picture 2
June 13, 2014 at 5:19pm     
karemore55
Those look really pretty, Debra! Yes, a very nice match, I'd say.

How is the room coming along?
June 13, 2014 at 6:10pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
It's coming along. Do i have the pillows arranged right?
June 13, 2014 at 6:14pm     
Nancy Walton
You can arrange the pillows any way you want. There is no "right way!" But it looks good. If you prefer symmetry, do the aqua on the ends, then the gold, and the white lumbar pillow right in the center. The way you have it is more casual. Symmetrical would be more formal.

You could even put one of the floral print pillows in place of one of the aqua, then put the aqua one on the chair...
June 13, 2014 at 6:20pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
What do you mean when you say symmetrical?
June 13, 2014 at 6:40pm   
karemore55
I'm wondering g if this little lumbar pillow from Pier One could replace that white one in the middle. It would bring in the chair colors a little better. What do you think?
June 13, 2014 at 6:49pm     
karemore55
I would do the teal ones on the outsides, then the yellow leaf ones in front of the teal. And the lumbar in the middle.

I think this is what Nancy means by symmetrical, where the arrangement is identical on each side.
June 13, 2014 at 6:50pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
And I can't remember if you are looking for art work, but it had this one on my camera roll. It's an 8X10 print by an etsy artist - $20. And then whatever framing would cost.

It struck me as being so perfect for the look of your room, and the greys/browns on the bottom of the pic would pick up on the colors of your stone wall so well.
June 13, 2014 at 6:54pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Do you like this picture?
June 13, 2014 at 6:56pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Another Picture
June 13, 2014 at 6:57pm   
Debra Zarkivach
This is actually 3 pictures 2 smaller ones for the side
June 13, 2014 at 6:58pm   
Debra Zarkivach
Here are the 3
June 13, 2014 at 7:02pm   
Debra Zarkivach
again
June 13, 2014 at 7:02pm   
tschroederfl
Brandi Nash Hicks........I see 3, that do it on every thread......lmao
June 13, 2014 at 7:18pm   
Debra Zarkivach
huh?
June 13, 2014 at 7:20pm   
Nancy Walton
Karemore, that Pier 1 pillow you posted has purple in it. I don't really think she wants to go there? Symmetrical, Debra, is balanced--mirror image, if you will.
June 13, 2014 at 7:25pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Nancy, have you seen the pillow in person? I can't tell on my monitor. Maybe it's gray? And I never was able to determine if the dark colored flowers on Debra's arm chairs are charcoal or purple/lavender.

The joys of online decorating!
June 13, 2014 at 7:28pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Nancy Walton
Debra, the art you posted is really too matchy, matchy--lacks interest, even though they are three different prints, there is little contrast between what colors you have on the couch and the colors on the wall. Let me see if I can find you one with a little more interest. Something like this one from gallerydirect.com might work better:
June 13, 2014 at 7:31pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Nancy Walton
Has all the colors, with a little more saturation so it pops.
June 13, 2014 at 7:32pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Debra, the art looks a little matchy. And maybe a tad generic? Which wall are you thinking of for the art?

Would something like these below appeal to you - both from World Market?

And, keep in mind that art does not have to match a room exactly - it should "suit" the room in terms of the mood/look you wish to evoke, and some of the colors should pick up on key colors in the room. But, exact matches usually look kind of cookie-cutter.
June 13, 2014 at 7:33pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Nancy Walton
Can you see the difference?
June 13, 2014 at 7:43pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
yes
June 13, 2014 at 8:03pm   
There is no purple in that pillow you show Karemore, here is the description from Pier I . I kept staring at it lol, then I figured I needed the answer;)

Stripe Pillow. The multicolor design incorporates varying shades of gray, blue, brown and green—making it a beautiful accent piece for a wide range of
June 13, 2014 at 9:26pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Ah, so the pillow could work if you like it, Debra.

Thanks Margo! Now maybe you can figure out the exact color of the dark flowers in the arm chairs lol?
June 13, 2014 at 9:32pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
cambridge101
Paint walls same tone as sofa little litter need more pillow on sofa blue an green like flower in print, get down pillows from discount store.need creamy beige rug glass coffee table.
June 13, 2014 at 9:56pm      Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Take a very pale shade of the blue in chair for walls. Get sample put on walls first before buying.
June 16, 2014 at 2:02pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Just saw this is a very old post. Did you ever paint?
June 16, 2014 at 2:03pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Nancy Walton
Karemore, they look gray on my monitor.
June 16, 2014 at 2:04pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Nancy Walton
Nancy, yes she did--scroll up to one of the last pictures posted.
Fratantoni Lifestyles
I think a change in the paint color can help add vibrance to the room.
-Fratantoni Lifestyles
June 16, 2014 at 2:06pm   
Yes, this room has been painted but unfortunetly not the Kilim beige I pushed for lol..... it would have been soooo nice;))
June 16, 2014 at 2:36pm     
Debra Zarkivach
yes it's been painted Creamy. It is the color in the chair and looks great.
June 16, 2014 at 3:13pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Karemore, Is there a way to add that pillow to my picture?
June 16, 2014 at 7:18pm     
Yes, buy the pillow from Pier I, put in place of white center one, take picture, and post on HOuzz;))))))
June 16, 2014 at 7:20pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
It will look great!!!
June 16, 2014 at 7:21pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
karemore55
Lol Margo! Yes, Debra, she's right - I don't have photoshop (wish I did), and I don't think groveraxle, the resident photoshopped, has been on your thread yet.
June 16, 2014 at 7:31pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Nancy Walton
Here you go!
June 16, 2014 at 10:39pm     
karemore55
Excellent job, Nancy - looks good!
June 17, 2014 at 10:08am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Monarch Sofas
i'm in love with your cat :) xoxo eva
June 17, 2014 at 10:24am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
TY
June 17, 2014 at 2:57pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Does this look like it will match on my white coffee table? TY
June 18, 2014 at 8:29am     
studio10001
Nice choice.
June 18, 2014 at 8:34am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I also just wanted to take a moment to TY all of you that have spent so much time helping me with your expertise, thoughts and ideas. You have help me very much. I Love doing these projects but as you can clearly see it takes me much longer. Who would ever think that so many different colors go with this and that. Who also would ever think that people use 10 throw pillows on there beds and sofa's. Growing up we lucky if we used one throw pillow. I have learned from all of you that the ideas are endless.
June 18, 2014 at 8:34am     
karemore55
Aw, Debra, that is so sweet of you to say that! You are so very welcome!

And, yes, love that dish - it looks quite unique. I suppose you're going to tell me it's Pier One? Because it looks like a one-of-a-kind?
June 18, 2014 at 10:06am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra, I scanned up and looked?? I do not see a coffee table shown in any pic? Did I miss it somewhere?
June 18, 2014 at 11:52am        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
No I have to get it yet. I need one that is a bit smaller as there won't be enough room between the fire stove and table.
June 18, 2014 at 2:13pm     
Debra Zarkivach
Karemore55 The dish is from one kings lane.
June 18, 2014 at 3:13pm     
karemore55
Debra, They have nice stuff and I get emails from them daily with all their specials, but I'm in Canada and the cost of shipping would not make it worth ordering from them.

But I can admire what other people buy from them!
June 18, 2014 at 5:02pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Now i am not sure that is where i saw the bowl because now i cannot find it.
June 23, 2014 at 5:44pm     
Debra Zarkivach
I will send pictures soon. We are redoing the bathroom and hallway. Am i ready for another project? Not sure but it's time for some upgrade.
June 23, 2014 at 5:46pm     
tiamay
Hi, I have the same set, but in the teal not the goldenrod. My walls are mustard. When I bought this set, everyone thought I was crazy! But now I see it popping up on Houzz. :)

Good luck with your project, the folks here are great.
June 23, 2014 at 6:18pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
I too was worried when we purchased the furniture. The colors scared me. My company loves it, They love it because of all the help i recieved on here matching it. The chair i dislike. I would have liked something different. I am going to try and sell it.
June 23, 2014 at 6:49pm     
Debra Zarkivach
What would you consider these? Vintage maybe?
June 24, 2014 at 11:34am     
karemore55
Hi Debra, Are those canisters? They are very cute, and would suit your 100 year old home very well. (I think you said it was 100 yrs. old?). I wouldn't call them vintage, as the motifs in the background are African and Indian - part of that global look that is huge right now.

I would call them "shabby chic" myself. Although, the idea of cannisters is from that era that we now call vintage, isn't it?

Are these for your kitchen then, or do you have another use for them?

And, did you ever find that bowl from One Kings Lane?
June 24, 2014 at 2:59pm        Thanked by Debra Zarkivach
Debra Zarkivach
Now i don't see the bowl.
June 24, 2014 at 3:17pm   
Debra Zarkivach
If anyone sees the bowl that i have pictured above, could you please tell me where you see it being sold? Thank you
June 25, 2014 at 2:41pm   
Need help matching existing sofa
I have a modern grey sofa from Zuo Modern and now,...
Need help to match living room wall color with the sofa
Hi, I have bought this sofa long time ago and I...
Need help with select coffee table to match sofa
Dear all, I have just purchased a set of sofa and...
Need help picking a sofa color to match accent chairs
I just purchased a pair of turquoise damask slipper...
Need help "finishing" interior of my home
We purchased a home approx a year ago and have worked...
Needs options for backsplash
I am installing cream cabinets with coffee bean granite...
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
Landscaping/ Area use Advice sought
Hello Houzzers, Just moved into this house and I've...
Redecorating new rental
I am beginning to redecorate my new rental and don't...