Help!!! How should I cover this column???

solibelJanuary 16, 2014
I need help to finish this design. This island will only have one column and I don't know how to finish it.
I'd beef the column up to square that complements your cabinetry. But, it would drive me crazy not to have balance. I'd do a faux column on the other side.
consihttp://www.houzz.com/photos/57643/Portland-Remodel-modern-kitchen-portlandder
21 Likes    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:05PM
anitanazar
I would cover it in the same material as the island to make it look intentional a bit narrower than the base. Have your cabinet maker trim it out nicely. And definitely do the same on the other side for symmetry.

HWC Folly Kitchen · More Info

Lanark Kitchen · More Info
7 Likes    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:08PM
unwantedadvice
I agree with Darzy. And what a beautiful kitchen you will have when completed. Enjoy!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    January 16, 2014 at 9:08PM
anitanazar
Great minds think alike!
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:09PM
solibel
Thank you all. I do want two columns for it to be symmetrical. The only dilemma is that the room isn't symmetrical at all. Also I feel the second column will limit my view to the rest of the area. I will take more photos and post them :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:15PM
Leo Dowell Interiors
I woul make a tall thin cabinet that went from the outside of the column to the island with glass doors you could see through. Basically the column is inside the cabinet that no one sees. I design Kitchens and luxury homes for a living.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:15PM
solibel
Please share photos. This sounds very nice . Thank you
1 Like    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:23PM
mrsobbs
If the room isn't symmetrical and there's a concern of interruption of visual space by adding another island post, how about this method of identifying room separation - by putting a second post on the wall instead (like this example)?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:31PM
I think the above example works only because the opening is only on one side.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:06PM
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
faux column on other side for sure then wrap both of the columns in a mosaic. or just paint it a real cool color .. or tear it down if possible.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 1:55AM
mrsobbs
There might be a steel beam solution that would allow post removal, and still carry the load visited by your upper floor(s).
"IF" that could be engineered, the bulk could be concealed by the dropped molding example just above. The dropped molding will impose a room separation/division that might be very attractive.
And gosh, your kitchen is going to be lovely (and make an engineer some coin too). ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    January 17, 2014 at 5:32AM
mrsobbs
Here are examples of what the steel might look like behind the scenes, OR another option is to create an architectural focal point with wood. In my experience, unless ceilings are very high, thus permitting a good scale for dressing columns, I've yet to see a post (or matching posts) in the kitchen that doesn't leave the space at least fractionally compromised aesthetically. So if your purse can weather it, removal with an engineer's guidance may be best.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 6:04AM
solibel
Hello everyone. Thank you for all the great suggestions. Here are a few more pictures showing the space. Hoping this will help with the final decision. The kitchen area has a bench and a keeping room all in the same area. Thanks in advance for all your ideas and suggestions
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 5:24PM
solibel
More pictures
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 5:27PM
mcbriec
Lovely space which will look fabulous with a second column. I'm not quite picturing how a second column will disrupt views.
    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    January 18, 2014 at 5:56PM
solibel
Hello, I guess the thought was that on the left facing the fireplace wont be a clear view from the far left. But you are correct, its bad at all. who knew building a home could be so difficult LOL
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 6:14PM
bears72
Leo Dowell Interiors: can't picture what you are suggesting. As you are a pro wish I could. Any pictures to help us?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 6:57PM
mrsobbs
Solibel, your beyond-beautiful space is large enough to allow some detailing others would die for. Hover your cursor over the photo for expanded view. It's an idea that made me think of you and is a floor to ceiling detail leading into the featured kitchen. It may not work for you, and would give your cabinet worker fits, still, thought it worth sharing. The columns could conceal some steel supports, and by moving the columns further from the island the compromise to your connection/field of vision into adjacent spaces might be lessened. Only an engineer could determine if it would suffice, but this is so elegant (like your space), just thought it worth sharing.
    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 8:57AM
Goodfella Stone
What about wrapping the top part of the column in stone?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 11:37AM
face39
I think the builder has some 'splainin' to do. Is that a support beam or a pipe and was that in the original plan?

You don't have to answer to me. And I suppose you've already asked that of the builder.

It just seems a very odd design decision when we know it could have been engineered out of the plan.

If it must stay I would cover it in the same wood as the rest of the kitchen and not put another column up for balance. In living in the space I think you will come to 'not see' the one that actually must be there. You might curse the other one because you 'had to' put it up and you know it blocks your view for no good reason.

It might become the 'stone in your shoe.'
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    January 20, 2014 at 12:15PM
solibel
Hello, it's an actual support beam since we expanded the kitchen by 7 ft. I agree that two may be too much and I can live with one. I still have one week to decide , and sadly I keep changing my mind lol.
    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:23PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
No question stay with Darzy's two columns but beefed up. The symmetry of the room does not matter. It is about the symmetry of the island only.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    January 20, 2014 at 12:38PM
1 Week Kitchens
That is quite an awkward column you have there. The best thing would be to create balance and symmetry. Try something like the diagram we have included below.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:43PM
Kevin Strader
Definitely add the second column. That way it's more of a design element as opposed to that "lone tree in an otherwise denuded forest".
    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:47PM
darcages
@1 Week Kitchens - Simply loved how you mimicked the range hood detailing in your thoughtful and generously bestowed solution. This is likely the very best and least expensive answer for Solibel's design dilemma (if she likes it).

@1 Week Kichens - you and Darzy should team up ;) Good stuff.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 1:08PM
bears72
Would you do the upper part of the columns white as the cabinets?
    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 1:17PM
1 Week Kitchens
I would think all black and keep the accents where they are. Make this just an extension of the island. Putting the lights underneath the valance will brighten it up and enhance it. Also in judging by your photo, you have more than 8 ft ceilings so this will not infringe on the openness of the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    January 20, 2014 at 1:43PM
solibel
Thank you your design is amazing @1 week kitchens. I am so thankful for all the great suggestions. I'm getting closer to knowing what this space needs. Two columns seems to be the way to go.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 2:52PM
solibel
Finally the finished product. What do you all think? I do have to say thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:23AM
bluenan
Beautiful kitchen!
    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    July 4, 2014 at 7:59AM
Candace Roszelle
Absolutely gorgeous kitchen!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by solibel    July 4, 2014 at 8:37AM
Can I remove these columns and give my house a different elevation/frontage?
My husband and I bought this house when we were newlyweds,...
boothebf
How should I wash the duvet cover
I was wondering if you could tell me how I should wash...
jeffrema
how many units of this product should I buy to cover 4 sq meters?
This is for a 4 sq meteres bathroom. 9 Yards seem too...
ericm
How should I cover this large window?
I need help in treating this window, I'm not sure whether...
lilnecklady
What kind of backsplash should we put up?
We are really excited to have the white cabinets and...
lsanche7
Just moved in, huge dilemma!
We just moved into this house and we have a very big...
decorrookie
Would love your color suggestions
We don't need to do anything right now, but I'm not...
parus55
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch