DWR Sofa? R&B? quality questions
dbellisario
I am looking a couple of potential sofas and wondered about peoples experience with long term quality. The sofa will be for our main living room (not tv room) so likely will not be used too roughly but I'd like to get a quality one that can hold up for years. I hate saggy cushions and stretched fabric. and the style we are looking it is more modern and tailored so would like it stay that way over the years. any experience with either? any other sources you'd recommend for sofas in the 1800-2500 price range?
Bloom Design LLC
Both companies are good choices in that range. Sometimes Crate and Barrel as well. In addition, a local upholsterer may offer some really good options at prices in that range. I say this cautiously, because local craftsmen can be both competitive and high priced. It will take some looking if you plan to go that route. But the stock companies mentioned will work for you. A local designer might well get you some deals on a Herman Miller, Knoll or Steelcase piece, but probably in light of a larger project. All best!
0 Likes   Thanked by dbellisario    January 17, 2014 at 10:14AM
dbellisario
thanks Bloom design. Will not be able to use a designer. planning on a one piece at a time, though I do love some of those. I'll take a look at crate and Barrel as well. anyone else have one of these items that can weigh in as well?
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 1:05PM
sarelimur
I have a couch from Room & Board. It's about 2 years old and looks like new. The seat cushions are down, so they do need to be plumped periodically, but there's been no stretching or sagging of the fabric (microfiber). The tailored back looks like the day it was delivered.
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 1:12PM
Your Space Furniture - Custom Upholstered Sofas
Room&Board make better quality sofas compare to PB, Restoration Hardware, and C&B but they all look good. DWR is excellent. yet, a bit overpriced. You can easily fit two sofas or a sectional in your budget. Check us out. We specialize in designer style custom sofas and sectionals like you see in the show rooms of Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Room and Board, Ralph Lauren, Jonathan Adler, Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams, Bassett, Z Gallery, Hickory, Gus Modern, Williams Sonoma, Lee Industries, B&B Italia, and many other American and European furniture designers.
http://yourspacefurniture.com/
1 Like   January 19, 2014 at 5:51PM
Bloom Design LLC
Thanks out to Mamerril for adding one of my rooms to their ideabook. So the other add to this discussion is: We can get a handle on value products. All commentators agree here: Room and Board, DWR, to a lesser extent Crate and Barrel, plus local custom shops all give great value for the products they supply at the price points they promote. So the next question is: which fabric, how does it sit in the room, how does it integrate with the other furnishings and accessories? Now we're getting down to the nitty-gritty. We need to make good cost/value decisions- and then the most important question: how does it work for your living space and your design and function preferences? If it doesn't pass that test, value doesn't really matter.- Here's the image from my Houzz post that Mamerril cited (it's a RB chair, custom stained RB table and a hand knotted rug).
1 Like   January 21, 2014 at 7:03AM
inthedetails
We have a sectional that is used everyday and the cushions look just like they did 11 years ago when we bought it. It is from Walter E Smithe. They guarantee them for the life of the sofa and say they will replace if necessary. I don't think based on how they are currently looking that it will ever be necessary to have them replaced.
0 Likes   January 21, 2014 at 7:20AM
Jed Slaughter
Our very McM r&b couch looked perfect for about 4-5 years of full time sitting. at that point the cushions started to sag a bit and at about 7yrs(right now) they could stand to be replaced. A friend worked for dwr and while its mostly great product you will almost always pay quite a bit more for a comparable product there.
0 Likes   January 21, 2014 at 7:51AM
Interior Define
If you are interested in modern/contemporary designs we would be happy to help. We are a new e-commerce brand focused on high-quality high-design sofas. We got tired of the over priced options at the mass market retailers so we decided to work directly with manufacturers. One sofa that might fit your spaces is our Harper. It's made of industry best kiln dried hardwood it has similar quality standards to the companies you've mentioned while at a much cheaper price point ($1600 includes delivery and no sales tax).
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 10:32AM
marniejo
I also have a Room and Board sofa that was used as main seating for over 6 years and stills looks amazing (since retired to the master bedroom seating area). The upholstery has held up perfectly and we are very disaster prone. For the money, I would highly recommend. We now use a crate and barrel sofa for our living room, which is on it's fourth year. We opted for down cushions, which can look a bit used, but otherwise it is still in great shape, by far the most comfortable sofa I have owned. They run custom upholstery sales in August so you can get more bang for your buck. I think that making a smart fabric choice with either brand is important for longevity.
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 11:18AM
dclostboy
I like my Room & Board sofa and really like my Gus Modern chairs...look at the sofas that Gus has.
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 2:07PM
M2 Los Angeles Custom Furniture Manufacturing
We would be honored if you considered M2 LOS ANGELES Custom Furniture to construct any Sofa, Sectional, Chaise Lounge, Bed, Ottoman and much much more. We have 100's of fabrics to choose from and our Quality is second to none.

We produce all types of upholstered furniture for many designers and showrooms, not only in California, but around the country. We offer incredible value and furniture with a highly tailored look and modern appeal, and nothing leaves our factory unless it's quality inspected 3 times over. On top of that, our prices are hard to compete with.

CALL US directly at (424)666-1872 or visit our website for a sample of the many products we have produced www.m2custom.com

HAPPY SHOPPING!
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 5:02PM
V19R-B Barstool
Hi, i am interested in this bar stool for our upcoming...
Taphouse Tremont
Alternatives to Alden High Loop rug from R&B?
I like the look of the Alden high loop wool rugs from...
mgellerla
Help with two accent chairs for my living room?..Quinn from R&B?..
My living room has basically nothing right now except...
rkalidoss
Need help for my living room!
Our living room is very long, with two openings and...
jenellison7
Dining Room Rug Dilemma
Hi, Have always had trouble deciding on a rug that...
lifestylere
Would it be a shame to paint my old piano?
The 1st picture is my old piano in my living room....
benani1
Cabinets were delivered and we don't like how they look
We had our cabinets delivered and we don't like the...
kacykam
Modern fence and gate
Can anyone give me a clue of how I could go about duplicating...
Sheila Hartley