Best height for an outdoor lantern on a 2 story front porch.
Kristy Wasserott
Help! How high should this fixture be hung? It's a hanging lantern that matches the outdoor sconces. It's a 2 story porch and inside is a 2 story foyer.
bluenan
I would hang it so that it's centered on the window. It would be slightly higher than the mounted lanterns and be framed by the reflection of the timbers.
3 Likes   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 17, 2014 at 12:36PM
mmilos
Agree with bluenan. Center it against the window.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 17, 2014 at 12:38PM
Fred S
I get the feeling we are missing the picture of the pendant you want to hang in the vault?
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 1:24PM
LoobyGuru
Wow, what a fabulous entrance! Although you do need to consider bulb-changing, I'd go for drama over practicalities here and agree that keeping it fairly high would look best. I'd like to see it significantly higher than the wall lanterns, but not so high that it's at all hidden behind the timbers.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 17, 2014 at 1:45PM
Amy Stokes
I think if your goal is to light the alcove for guests, you will need to hang it between the door and the window. I think hanging it at the window will be too high if you want light to hit the floor. You don't have any reflective surfaces other than the window, and it looks like the sides are open, so the light will disperse quickly.
1 Like   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 17, 2014 at 2:02PM
Fred S
How big and heavy is it? Will the wind blow it around?
1 Like   January 17, 2014 at 3:50PM
Leo Dowell Interiors
I am going to throw you for a loop! I hang the center light fixture in the middle of the wall space above the window to allow you to see the indoor light fixture thought the window. I also hang the lower fixtures no higher than the bottom of the lanterns at head height because they are more inviting and they are there for people and should relate to their height.
Best, Leo Dowell Interiors.com
2 Likes   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 17, 2014 at 11:16PM
Kristy Wasserott
The hanging fixture matches the wall lanterns. It's huge and fairly heavy. I'm hoping the wind won't swing it too much because of the weight. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning toward centering on the window. I agree this may be too high to be a practical light source. hmmm... As for changing bulbs, fingers crossed, I bought a $20 LED bulb. Thanks again! I will post a picture once it's done.
0 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 9:19AM
Kristy Wasserott
Leo, I now see what you are saying about the middle of the wall space. I may see if they can put it there to see what that looks like. I also realized I may be limited to the length of chain - yikes! Hadn't considered that until just now. But at any rate it's great to hear the ideas - thank you, thank you! I really wanted to be sure I didn't do "the wrong" thing. Sounds like there are options so that makes me feel better.
0 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 9:22AM
bluenan
I had to order a custom chain and wire length for my foyer chandelier, so check the length you need and if it's longer than the standard chain ask about having it customized. Don't make-do with something that isn't long enough.
1 Like   January 18, 2014 at 9:53AM
Fred S
I agree with Leo. What you are looking for is to cast light on the wall in an attractive manner. Too low, and the top half of the entry looks like a dark cave at night. The fixture blocks light from going up. Too long of a chain can allow it to swing into a column in the first big wind storm :( You will also get light from the inside through the window and glass in the door. I would generally supplemental this with step lights, but it is a bit late for that except for maybe one on each side of the door. I would suggest planning for some landscape/path lighting. And perhaps some uplights aimed at the house.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 18, 2014 at 2:14PM
MyCraftWork, LLC
I agree with @bluenan, having it centered in the window and slightly above the other sconces would be perfect.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristy Wasserott    January 18, 2014 at 2:22PM
Fred S
The problem with centering it on the window is that it will never look centered on the window unless you are 12' tall. After I make the homeowners look at these from different distances enough times, they all give up on that notion.
0 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 2:36PM
Kristy Wasserott
it turned out great! i'll try to get a daylight outside picture... it's centered on the area above the window.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 8:05AM
Paint or Stain Railings and Balusters on 2 story front porch??
I just had our two story front porch rebuilt...I ended...
mss822
Large lantern for 2 story foyer
Does anyone have any suggestions for a large lantern...
nbecker77
What is the best route to go for putting AC in a 2 story house?
I live in the Caribbean and I will be starting to build...
xlei
What is the best elevator to install in a 2 story condo
I am having difficulty getting up the stairs an am...
azmike101
Need help to change the furniture of this master bedroom
This is the bedroom and i want to change the cupboard...
anuradha1392
Does composite decking really get too hot?
Our spring project is building either a deck or a patio....
libratravel
HELP! Mid Century modern or mixed MCM Rehab? For resale
Hi, I'm working on my first MCM house and have to choose...
artsyblnd
Pros and cons of a gas fireplace?
The house we are considering purchasing has a gas fireplace....
tcrjmr
Fireplace facelift?
I am trying to revamp my fireplace. Picture 1 is how...
omexus