Best height for an outdoor lantern on a 2 story front porch.
Kristy Wasserott
Help! How high should this fixture be hung? It's a hanging lantern that matches the outdoor sconces. It's a 2 story porch and inside is a 2 story foyer.
bluenan
I would hang it so that it's centered on the window. It would be slightly higher than the mounted lanterns and be framed by the reflection of the timbers.
January 17, 2014 at 12:36pm        Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
mmilos
Agree with bluenan. Center it against the window.
January 17, 2014 at 12:38pm      Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
Fred S
I get the feeling we are missing the picture of the pendant you want to hang in the vault?
January 17, 2014 at 1:24pm   
LoobyGuru
Wow, what a fabulous entrance! Although you do need to consider bulb-changing, I'd go for drama over practicalities here and agree that keeping it fairly high would look best. I'd like to see it significantly higher than the wall lanterns, but not so high that it's at all hidden behind the timbers.
January 17, 2014 at 1:45pm      Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
Amy Stokes
I think if your goal is to light the alcove for guests, you will need to hang it between the door and the window. I think hanging it at the window will be too high if you want light to hit the floor. You don't have any reflective surfaces other than the window, and it looks like the sides are open, so the light will disperse quickly.
January 17, 2014 at 2:02pm        Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
Fred S
How big and heavy is it? Will the wind blow it around?
January 17, 2014 at 3:50pm     
Leo Dowell Interiors
I am going to throw you for a loop! I hang the center light fixture in the middle of the wall space above the window to allow you to see the indoor light fixture thought the window. I also hang the lower fixtures no higher than the bottom of the lanterns at head height because they are more inviting and they are there for people and should relate to their height.
Best, Leo Dowell Interiors.com
January 17, 2014 at 11:16pm        Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
Kristy Wasserott
The hanging fixture matches the wall lanterns. It's huge and fairly heavy. I'm hoping the wind won't swing it too much because of the weight. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning toward centering on the window. I agree this may be too high to be a practical light source. hmmm... As for changing bulbs, fingers crossed, I bought a $20 LED bulb. Thanks again! I will post a picture once it's done.
January 18, 2014 at 9:19am   
Kristy Wasserott
Leo, I now see what you are saying about the middle of the wall space. I may see if they can put it there to see what that looks like. I also realized I may be limited to the length of chain - yikes! Hadn't considered that until just now. But at any rate it's great to hear the ideas - thank you, thank you! I really wanted to be sure I didn't do "the wrong" thing. Sounds like there are options so that makes me feel better.
January 18, 2014 at 9:22am   
bluenan
I had to order a custom chain and wire length for my foyer chandelier, so check the length you need and if it's longer than the standard chain ask about having it customized. Don't make-do with something that isn't long enough.
January 18, 2014 at 9:53am     
Fred S
I agree with Leo. What you are looking for is to cast light on the wall in an attractive manner. Too low, and the top half of the entry looks like a dark cave at night. The fixture blocks light from going up. Too long of a chain can allow it to swing into a column in the first big wind storm :( You will also get light from the inside through the window and glass in the door. I would generally supplemental this with step lights, but it is a bit late for that except for maybe one on each side of the door. I would suggest planning for some landscape/path lighting. And perhaps some uplights aimed at the house.
January 18, 2014 at 2:14pm      Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
MyCraftWork, LLC
I agree with @bluenan, having it centered in the window and slightly above the other sconces would be perfect.
January 18, 2014 at 2:22pm      Thanked by Kristy Wasserott
Fred S
The problem with centering it on the window is that it will never look centered on the window unless you are 12' tall. After I make the homeowners look at these from different distances enough times, they all give up on that notion.
January 18, 2014 at 2:36pm   
Kristy Wasserott
it turned out great! i'll try to get a daylight outside picture... it's centered on the area above the window.
April 12, 2014 at 8:05am     
Paint or Stain Railings and Balusters on 2 story front porch??
I just had our two story front porch rebuilt...I ended...
Large lantern for 2 story foyer
Does anyone have any suggestions for a large lantern...
What is the best route to go for putting AC in a 2 story house?
I live in the Caribbean and I will be starting to build...
What is the best elevator to install in a 2 story condo
I am having difficulty getting up the stairs an am...
Fix my fireplace
Hi! I would love some help on redesigning my fireplace....
Kitchen Sink location
Boy, I wish I had found Houzz before we started the...
Bathroom window covering.
Need Ideas on a bathroom window cover to suit colours...
Framed Burlap
Both side by side or one?
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...