Colour to stain wood panelled walls
January 17, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We have almost completed the renovation of our third floor of our century old heritage home (Queen Ann Revival) but can't decide if we want to go lighter or darker with the stain colour on the wood paneling. The room will be a multipurpose family room with TV, bar area, sitting area for reading, and billiards table. The walls are taupe - Benjamin Moore Kangaroo, carpet a dark brown, ceiling and trim Cloud white. The room has five palisade windows, three with window seats, and a coffered .ceiling..
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Amy Stokes
I would go dark.
January 17, 2014 at 3:55pm   
bluenan
Since the carpet is dark I would white wash the wood for contrast. I'm afraid dark will be too much dark and a light stain will look like a 1960's knotty pine rathskeller.
Georgetown Development
lowcountry river house
January 17, 2014 at 4:09pm     
Here is one wall of the unfinished wood up now. What about painting it white. I don't want the knots to show thru if it is wite washed? What is the best finish to use
January 18, 2014 at 8:18pm   
Here is the photo.
January 18, 2014 at 8:20pm   
inthedetails
You have created a very nice space. I like the idea of white. I think it will contrast nicely with the walls and not run any risk of appearing dated.
January 18, 2014 at 9:10pm     
bluenan
Yes, the knots will show with a whitewash. In painting make sure to use a very good stain blocking primer and a good quality top coat. You may over time have a few knots show through in spite of the paint from the tannin that naturally occurs in wood.
January 19, 2014 at 6:34am   
based on the attached photo showing the options - what do you feel will work better - the darker wine colours vs the white?
January 26, 2014 at 6:06pm   
bluenan
My vote is for white, I like the way it breaks up the taupe walls and dark rug. They're so different, which do you and your family like, that's what's important.
January 26, 2014 at 6:15pm     
PirateFoxy
Dark if you want to really embrace the bar/billiards room theme, otherwise I like white.
January 26, 2014 at 6:40pm   
PRO
Century Billiards
We have done many game rooms over the years, we have seen some beautiful rooms, please feel free to check out our gallery on Facebook as well, almost 4,000 billiards room images - Good Luck to you with your project, looks great!!!!!! I like the white panels, this way you can go with a darker stained pool table ;)
March 20, 2014 at 10:43am   
PRO
March 20, 2014 at 10:44am   
PRO
Century Billiards
Enjoy, and be sure to have FUN with it
March 20, 2014 at 10:46am   
More Discussions
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Help choosing curtains for my son's LR
My son would like curtains for his living area. He...
Paint name or color?
We get this question a lot and I think it really needs...
Dare I Update Vertical Blinds?
Downsizing to a MCM ranch that we are renovation/remodeling...
I need some help updating my fireplace and mantal
I do not want to spend a lot of money as I am planing...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™