Is this colour too dark?
Beryl Koster
We are having a make over and are unsure about this Caramel from Dulux.
As it is to be a cosy....coffee and wine...area, we wanted a little drama!!
Should I remove the hat stand?
No, the wall color isn't too dark but I don't like it with the furniture. I think some color/contrast to the furniture will help. Oh. I like you hat stand there. Maybe add emerald green accents? Emerald green will complement the walls/sofa and furniture. But, I have noticed color on my laptop screen is pretty off so it may look right in person. But, more contrast with the furniture/walls would look very nice.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 6:31PM
Ann
I kind of like the wall color but not sure about the furniture arrangement. Tough to tell from the pics. Any chance you can get more of the room in one pic - I know sometimes that's impossible?
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 6:35PM
Beryl Koster
Thanx Darzy,
How can I get more contrast with the furniture do you think? I have to keep the furniture...so should the wall be darker??? Or cushions?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:03PM
Beryl Koster
Anne, does this help? Obviously in the middle of renovating!
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:11PM
I think toss pillows or blanket throws on the furniture will give it the missing contrast. What color is in the area rug besides the burgundy (no matter how small that you may like)? I was thinking emerald green because of the hat stand green. Is there another color from the rug you can pull from?
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:15PM
Ohh! I'd put the sofa on the wall where the cabinet/hutch is, with the two chairs opposite, one sort of in the corner. For the hat rack, I'd put in on the wall to the right of the new sofa location for sort of a large "entry foyer" area. For now, put the fern plant stand between the two chairs. So, when you walk in the front door, the hat rack is on the "foyer" wall with the sofa and the two chairs are opposite the sofa. It will feel much more welcoming and more spacious.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:22PM
Ann
So maybe just one small change with the furniture arrangement. The chair that backs up to the white door, please try pulling it forward just a bit and angling it a bit more so that both front legs are evenly on that corner of the rug. Then pull the coffee table just a bit more toward the opposite corner of the rug.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:23PM
Ann
Overlapped with Darzy. I think it's a good idea to play just a bit with the furniture arrangement and please take pictures as you do.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:25PM
Yes, let's play around with the furniture arrangement. But, if the emerald green idea doesn't appeal to you, you'd be surprised out a deep teal looks good with the burgundy.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:27PM
Beryl Koster
This is the original set up....out dated I know. The white door is to be blocked off, and made plain like the wall.
Old TV cabinet will go and a huge curly artwork mirror on that wall.
Sorry I'm answering you both at once, but obviously you are on the same page with ideas.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:35PM
Beryl Koster
Darzy, I love deep teal! I also love what we call eucalyptus, which is slightly lighter.
Anne, I'm going to move the furniture around right now and send a shot.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:39PM
Ok...this going to be "are you kidding me?" lol. Check out these pillows to mix together. They will add contrast and complement your rug, wall color and furniture. Hey..if they don't work you can take back to Pier One. This is one of those...looks bad on the rack but when you try it on it may look great. :) I'd throw in a chenille toss blanket in teal (or burgundy) as well. http://www.pier1.com/Oblong-Teal-Print-Pillow/2484780,default,pd.html http://www.pier1.com/Velvet-Pillow---Teal/2525747,default,pd.html
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:01PM
Beryl Koster
Darzy, the reproduction cupboard is too heavy for me to move on my own.....but that is where I will try the hatstand .....near to the office door.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:02PM
Beryl Koster
Both of those cushions appeal to me!!
But I think that fern is too big to go between chairs....it does overhang them.....what do you say?
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:13PM
That looks cozy. The pop of teal looks great! But do you need the tv to stay in the room? I like the fern there unless it's annoying to the people sitting in the chairs. When doing your accents, think jewel tones. Garnet, sapphire, citrine, emeralds and the room will look like a pretty jewel box.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 17, 2014 at 8:14PM
inthedetails
I would like the wood furniture better if it were painted a cream. I also think the rug is too traditional and dark. I would lighten that up a bit with more soothing colors (greens, whites, tans, blues). Pull a color from the rug and buy two matching throws. Fold them to just less than the width of the chairs and place over the back and down the seat. That should add just enough of a break in the colors to allow them to compliment each other rather than competing. Find pillows for the couch in a coordinating fabric.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 17, 2014 at 8:25PM
Ann
Nice arrangement but I'm a bit troubled by how off center the fireplace is from the coffee table. I'm wondering how it would look if you leave the rug as is but rotate all of the furniture counterclockwise a bit, so the sofa is kind of angled in the white door corner and the chairs move around counterclockwise a bit so they end up opposite the sofa as they are now.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 17, 2014 at 8:33PM
Ann
Oh, and I think the fern is nice between the chairs and I like Darzy's choice of pillows.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 17, 2014 at 8:35PM
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
I think it looks great. and keep the stand!
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:36PM
Beryl Koster
May be I could inch the chairs away a bit more...I like it too!
No TV needed....never watch it down here...inherited...damm it!
Wow! Jewels....sounds fantastic!
And yes I'm happy to change the rug! What is your suggestion?
Now...what to do with the cupboard?
What to put in the alcove.....? (Where the old white door is to blocked....tomorrow)
I am so very grateful and impressed, thanks again!
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:40PM
Beryl Koster
Inthedetails, please don't tempt me to paint the furniture...haha....everything (almost) up stairs is!! But my husband wants something intimate and almost opposite of what we have upstairs,
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:52PM
What does the door lead to? I don't like blocking a door. Can you show a photo of the space on the left "foyer" area? If you are getting a new rug, forget the pillow suggestions! You are neutral without a rug, so a new rug that you love would be a great start. One decision leads to more changes so if you want a new look, a new rug would be a great start. PS I would not paint the furniture.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:57PM
Beryl Koster
Ann, I thought that too, but can't shift it of course, do you mean so that the large sofa is facing the fire?
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:57PM
Beryl Koster
The door leads to the Granny flat (part of the house). But after many years of caring full time, Mum died. It is now let out to a lovely young woman whose been there 2yrs already.
So we don't need to use the door any more, and the extra wall will add insulation . Like you say it's not good to block doors, but this can be removed if needed at a later time.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:12PM
inthedetails
Understood. We have that same debate in our home. Then I would get a large bowl of some sort in a cream color and place it on the table. I do really like the table with this furniture.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 17, 2014 at 9:13PM
Beryl Koster
Left from the front door. Pardon the clutter,temporary!!
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:19PM
Beryl Koster
From the office door...opposite end.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:24PM
Beryl Koster
Inthedetails, thanks for understanding, the coffee table is an inlaid English oak.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:33PM
Beryl Koster
The entry is a slate style tile, edge is bluey, mottled green. If you look hard you can see we are painting the rungs (?) white, and will stain the banisters a bit darker.
Should I think about getting mats and rugs with this colour in mind?
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:40PM
Ann
No, what I meant was just moving each of the three pieces of furniture counterclockwise about three to four feet and letting the sofa angle in the corner (assuming the door will be removed). The end result would be the sofa arm and the arm of the chair closest to the sofa would each end up about the same distance from the fireplace. I'm not sure it will work, but I'd try it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 17, 2014 at 9:50PM
Beryl Koster
O.K will do.
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:06PM
Beryl Koster
Finally had a chance to move the furniture again! We sat down, had a drink wink wink, I'm wrecked now! Looks better...except cramped, our sofas are too big or the room is too small...if only...! So for the moment at least it is a bit of both ideas that work the best!
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 12:50AM
msjules1
This rug would look good with your new walls and furniture and will pick up the green in your hall tree and fern.--This rug is in the "transitional" mode vs traditional....would not look good with teal, however, but would with other shades of green in the toss pillows, etc. I like your natural wood furniture with the leather couches...good balance imho. http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/175448/AmericanRugCraftsmen/Madison/BlushingBower/Brown(9354-5678)?source=criteo
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 18, 2014 at 2:10PM
Ann
Looking forward to pictues Beryl (when you recover for furniture moving:)
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 2:29PM
Beryl Koster
mjules1 very pretty rug.....too bad you are in America, but it certainly gives me food for thought, thanks. Too much shipping costs for a pensioner!
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 3:53PM
Beryl Koster
Will do Anne! Hubby is fixing the alcove, it's me back to painting the rungs on the stairs....
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 4:00PM
leelee
Get rid of the fake fern on the stand, please.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 18, 2014 at 4:04PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
I think the color looks too peachy with the furniture ,maybe you could paint the coffee table
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 18, 2014 at 4:25PM
Beryl Koster
I'm with you leelee.....but it is a dark room where nothing grows,.....I actually have a real one that I swap when I have guests......and I must have greenery !
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 4:26PM
Beryl Koster
Peachy!? Looks more like mud in real life!..haha
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 4:28PM
msjules1
Beryl, on one picture, the walls look peachy tan, on another, sort of a khaki tan, another muddy tan...I am taking it on faith that whatever color it is, it goes with your furniture beautifully.:-) I just painted my living room a peachy tan (SW in "Bagel"), I *love* it...goes perfectly with my oriental rugs. I would have never chosen a peachy tan, but my inherited rugs dictate my every decorating move.
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 9:18PM
Hat stands, known as 'hall trees" are for hallways. The coffee table is overpowering the little stove. This looks like the perfect area for a four-chair arrangement, but keeping the scale down for coziness and to be intimate and not overwhelming.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 18, 2014 at 9:55PM
armipeg
Yes dear. Hat stand must go.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 18, 2014 at 11:17PM
Beryl Koster
Hat stands in Australia can even be on the veranda......I don't have a passage, but yes, it will probably have to go.....If I am to declutter !
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:36AM
Beryl Koster
Thank you msjules1.....would you be able to send a pic?
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:39AM
msjules1
Ok, well apologies in advance, but pics are making the walls look more washed out then they are, and I possibly could have gone one more shade darker in Sherwin Williams...but furniture is dark, and I did not want it to look oppressive.(ignore my recliner, please, LOL--and my couch is not raspberry colored, but deep wine...ugh, limitations of cheap camera). Anyway, I have several Karastan carpets, same pattern, but despite them having every color imaginable, only certain wall colors work with them. I opted for SW "bagel" in LR and "Earl Grey" in DR.--basically going with a complimentary color scheme (orang-ish and blue-ish). Again the DR looks darker in person. The only thing that bugs me is the whiteness of ceiling...but I was not brave enough to do the color on ceiling trend. Beryl, I doubt that this is very much help, but glad to share pics. Incidentally, I have several decorating books from the 80's. I find them much more fun than modern ones in that things like your hall tree, especially since it is a nice piece, could be incorporated in your intimate space by hanging fun collections from it (like funky old hats) or ornate walking sticks in the umbrella holders, etc. I just cannot seem to banish clutter, so I embrace it. ;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 19, 2014 at 10:58AM
Beryl Koster
Goodness me!....I feel right at home in your place!!
It's smart and cosy! The last picture looks like the ceiling has been painted with the colour of your beige walls with an orangey tan stripe....marvelous! I know it's the lighting but it looks so good!
This is a pic of our ceiling, we put up the trim ourselves.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 4:49PM
msjules1
very nice! love crown molding.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 20, 2014 at 11:34AM
Beryl Koster
This is the lounge almost done....notice the TV cabinet cut down ? We were quite chuffed at the result....!
Different rug....swiped from the office, and much less nicknacks....
I did go shopping in my own house!...haha
Although I am waiting on a large metal art mirror for the bare wall.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 9:55PM
armipeg
Very nice and cozy and warm. Love the Persian carpet.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beryl Koster    January 24, 2014 at 6:00PM
Beryl Koster
Any suggestions for cushions....and what to put on the table?
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:09PM
I need help with a living room makeover!
I'm moving into a new place and this is the living...
leesah73
kitchen cabinet too dark. Suggestion to make more modern look
We are considering buying this condo but the kitchen...
orlan
Need a new accent wall color
The accent wall is dark burgundy (dislike) and the...
melissalyn68
Spiffing up our living room -- too dark?
We are trying to make our living room feel more gown...
beccaboo2
Paint color again
Please help! I need a paint color for this room. I...
audge656
What should I add?
What color should the sofas be? Red? Cream/ivory? The...
lguzmanmd
Backsplash for white kitchen cabinet and creamy caesarstone (Dreamy Ma
I need help picking colored backsplash for kitchen...
asiandog
Need to find a black with white streaking marble remnant.
Need to find a Nero Marquina, China Black or similar...
Larry Mead
Mixing metals
Do you think you can use different finishes in the...
kbmerrick
Which piece of leather furniture to switch out?
I want to break of this matching set of furniture,...
Lisa