Plain Kitchen Need Advice
Brian Carpio
Hi,

I am buying a house that has a plain white corian counter top, and plain oak cabinets. I am looking for some ideas on what do do with the cabinets and even kitchen backsplash that would bring out the kitchen more.

I really like the faux stone or stone vaneer look, so I'm thinking like a grey would give a good look, but not sure what to do with the cabinets, maybe paint them black? Or a cherry red? Anyway I'd like some ideas or even similar pics on Houzz I can look at.
Leave everything else alone and get a fabulous, show stopper backsplash - in a color you love. Replace the sink/faucet a brushed nickel too, I think these would make the kitchen, but you could also do glass subway. Depending on your style, I'll suggest "out of the box" styles too.
Copper Penny Circles Bronze/Copper Backsplash Glossy Glass
Copper Brick Dimensional Uniform Brick Gold Kitchen Brushed Aluminum
Straight Stack Uniform Brick Antique Copper Kitchen Antique Metal
January 17, 2014 at 10:56PM   
As you said, the cabinets are plain and the counter is plain so do something wonderful on the backsplash. If the copper above doesn't work, check out this pretty design in a stainless backsplash...

January 17, 2014 at 11:20PM   
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
You can paint or stain the cabinets if you wish to keep them. You can also change the hardware for a quick, cheap & major changing look. for back splash you use a mosaic or subway tile in either glass or stone. also look into getting new counter tops, prefabricated counter tops are very affordable now a days.
January 17, 2014 at 11:21PM   
Thos. Baker
Hi Brian,

I wish that was my kitchen to remodel! What a great canvas to work with! I thought this kitchen might interest you because the cabinets have been painted modern teal/gray and given cool new hardware, but the back splash and counters are similar to what's in your new kitchen -- by being white. You could keep them and save yourself some money, if budget is a concern. There's a lot of wonderful features in your new kitchen! Lots of counter space, plenty of shelves, storage and oak cabinets.

No matter what you choose to do -- I hope you'll consider putting dimmer lights above and below the cabinets, canned lighting on the ceiling and pendant lamps over the counter section where the bar stools go! I'd line the top of the cabinets with pewter vases, pitchers and goblets and turn the dimmers on at night to highlight them.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
January 17, 2014 at 11:31PM   
Thos. Baker
Since you mentioned gray, I thought I'd pop a couple more pics in that highlight other shades of gray. The top two are charcoal gray and the bottom two are sage gray. Gray with white or beige contrast is very sharp!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
January 17, 2014 at 11:50PM   
lucidos
Move in first and get your stuff in the kitchen. Buying a house is exciting as is the many many possibilities. Take things a step at a time. Think about molding over the cabinets. Think about how the decorative items you want displayed will look in your new space. See how the space looks at night, on a dreary day and when the sun is shining. Consider what lighting needs to be altered and hone in on the style(s) you prefer. Make a booklet of things you like and write down why you like it.

Before you make any premature, permanent and costly changes be sure you view your kitchen in the colors your thinking about. There are online programs that will allow you to see your cabinet color choices in your current layout. If you choose to paint get them done professionally.

Take your time and be confident of your selections. There are so many beautiful choices and it can be daunting making your new space your own. Always get large sized samples before committing to a major expense or a time consuming project.
January 18, 2014 at 12:20AM   
Need advice on plain wall in living room...
Need to decide on what to do with the blank wall of...
Need Advice on Plain 1975 Facade Update
We are purchasing this house built in the 70s and want...
Need advice on what to do with our plain/boring exterior
As you can see, the exterior of the front of our house...
Advice for family room's plain wall, please
Seeking wall art / decor ideas for a wall in family...
need help for making my house
the dimension of my house is 20.55x9.20x17x14.90 metres,...
Help for master bathroom.
Walls are tan, countertop is crema marfil marble. Vanity...
Average cost of a design
Hi I really need to redo my backyard. The covered porch...
Engineered wood or renovate existing floor?
I currently have wood floors in my victorian house,...
i need help with creating a stone fireplace
what type of stone or color to use on fireplace? Should...