My kitchen makes me cry. Please help!
Ann BrownJanuary 18, 2014
We are renting and the house has a lovely feel, but the kitchen is ... well look at the photos. I love cooking, and believe that the kitchen is the heart of the home, but this heart is breaking. Please send ideas. Do you think I should take the doors off and put them back when we go. I have some beautiful blue-grey paint - should I paint the cupboards blue-grey, the tops white, and replace the handles? The wall tiles are pinkish - I thought of painting them white. The floor tiles are as you see them. Not much I can do about those. The landlord has said I can paint.
JVM Design Solutions
If you paint the cabinets a shade of gray with green (vs blue) undertones, the pink will read more beige....changing the handles will help, too. You can also add interest and distraction to the wall between the upper and lower cabinets by displaying a colorful platter on a plate stand or hooks to add an element of your taste in the space...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 7:21AM
leelee
How long will you be in this home? I'd do nothing that can't be undone easily and inexpensively. Replace the pulls and focus on getting the space as neat and pulled together as you possibly can. Put away anything that's not used everyday. This kitchen looks extremely small, could you add a cart or shelf to hold microwave, toaster and coffee pot?
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 7:24AM
leelee
When the landlord says you can paint, does he mean the walls or cabinets or both? Painting cabinets is a big job requiring 3 or 4 steps to do it right.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 7:26AM
leelee
Get a colorful indoor/outdoor rug to add a bit of interest and cover those tiles.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 7:29AM
Denita
FYI, don't accept anything verbal as allowing you to paint. Make sure you have it in writing from the landlord. I'm a Realtor, believe me, it is far better to have it in writing especially if you are talking about painting. The landlord could very well be assuming you mean walls so it is best to clarify in an email to your landlord and have the landlords consent back to you via email. Some leases require an addendum to do any changes whatsoever.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 9:26AM
mfwolfe
As a landlord if I walked into a room and saw what had been done to my very serviceable cabinets you would lose your deposit and cleaning deposit both. Cook some good food in the kitchen and forget about doing anything permanent.
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 9:36AM
Ann Brown
WOW! OK mfwolfe I take your point. And Denita, yours too. You're right. It's not my house. I'm busy cooking kabeljou (a South African line fish) with lemon, garlic, herbs and spring onions. Serving with creamed spinach and roasted red baby potatoes. Good food makes everything look better! Thanks for your advice.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 10:41AM
Jean O
I don't think I would paint... its a rent, I wouldn't invest too much time or money. If the landlord was ok with getting them painted, then have him hire someone to do it, so that way he can't say you did it on your own. However, maybe just changing the hardware would make a difference you "could live with"... maybe add some accessories on the counters, scatter rugs, and maybe an island...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 4:57PM
santoslhauper
How long do you plan to live there and how much do you want to spend for something temporary? And how much DIY can you do?
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 5:03PM
Ann Brown
Hi Santoslhauper, we plan to stay five years. My husband's really good at diy.
    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 5:46PM
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
Try asking the home owner to let yoy remodel the place and perhaps they can give you some credit towards your monthly rent. Some landlords are flexible.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 5:49PM
santoslhauper
OK, here's what I would do - Take down that random board under the top left cabinets (?). Get some plexiglass from Depot, and cut it as tight to the size of the backsplash area as possible (use small, high count toothed jigsaw blade. Don't go full speed on the saw or you'll melt the plexi). Sand one side with a random orbit sander. It'll be whitish after that. Pick a color (or colors) of rustoleum spray paint and spray the plexiglass. You can use tape to make squares or subway tile pattern, whatever. Then set it in front of the backsplash and silicone caulk it around the edges. When you move out, cut and peel the silicone off.
For the cabinets, if you are willing to spend a bit, you could make replacement doors out of plywood. Paint them or stain them, then mount them in place of the other doors. If you don't want to make plywood doors, you could buy some outdoor fabric and wrap the original doors. Pin them on the backside with upholstery thumbtacks (when you move out, use wood filler to patch the holes).
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 6:26PM
jesker
as opposed to painting the cabinets, changing out the backsplash is much less permanent, and should be an easier DIY project also. I also had the idea of adding a rug, so maybe with a great rug that you like and a more contemporary backsplash, the cabinets would be tolerable. And maybe if you do a great job with the backsplash, your landlord would allow you to replace the floor tiles!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 6:29PM
comfy by design
I agree that using plexiglass and painting it is a great idea for the backsplash. As for the cabinets, Murphys oil soap will give new life to the cabinets. Add new hardware and display tiles of your favorite pattern on the countertops. They can be used to put your coffee maker, toaster, and etc.. on . I find painted tiles in rehab stores like Habitat for humanity. They add pattern and texture to an otherwise drab kitchen. They range in size but the bigger the better. Add new towels on a towel bar hung from the lower cabinet and a bowl of fruit. Too much can happen when remodeling and when it isn't your home you really shouldn't take the chance. It would be costly to replace the cabinets and countertops if the owner sues.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    January 18, 2014 at 6:59PM
Remodel Advocates - Virtual Project Management
Buy a nice table to use as a kitchen island, and take it with you when you move out. Get an old farm table cheap and top it with a custom marble slab, for sometimes the same price as a nice table.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    June 27, 2014 at 8:19AM
In Residence Design Group Inc.
I suggest you paint the cabinets in one soft colour to make them become just a back ground. Change the hardware, and use colourful tile for the back splash. If you also emphasize the basket collection on top of the cabinets by removing unrelated items, the kitchen will become 'yours'.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    June 29, 2014 at 9:54AM
flyr4fun
As a landlord, I would never approve a tenant to do the things you are requesting. When the landlord said you could paint, they surely meant walls. Like others said, get it in writing, or be careful in what you do. I love the idea of the plexiglass backsplash and changing out the door hardware. Your dinner description sounds yummy.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    June 29, 2014 at 10:07AM
chloe245
I really do suggest painting the cabinets, this is a direct link to a website with relatively enixpensive countertop paint as well as cabinet paint. I suggest you look at the website and take into conciteration the clever giani granite paint kits. Also, if you search up on google or youtube, they have many tutorials and before after pictures :) hope this helped http://gianigranite.com/
    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    September 23, 2014 at 6:31PM
dooders1981
As a landlord I'm agree! I would never let a tenant paint what you are asking to paint. I think your landlord meant the walls! That is the down side of renting. You have to live with it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    September 23, 2014 at 6:43PM
mfwolfe
Ann has been pretty busy cooking since January 18th and has not posted any replies. She seems to have decided not to paint the cabinets

Let's let her keep cooking since that is what she loves
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    September 23, 2014 at 8:18PM
Ann Brown
Haha! Yes, busy cooking, studying, making a beautiful garden and "living with it" (my kitchen). I loved all the ideas. And took seriously the advice of landlords who were kind enough to comment. No painting for me!! Added an island (my granny's old teak server with a marble top, just as Remodel Advocates suggested). Also tidied away a lot of the clutter. Planting up the garden has allowed me to express myself (which is probably what I needed when I wrote my post) and now that it's spring in the southern hemisphere, it's giving me such joy! This house was obviously much loved at some point before it became a rental - when I'd cleared the garden (don't worry, landlords, just clearing and filling gaps!!), I found long-forgotten plants (some you can't even buy in nurseries any more), an incredible, exotic Scilla (flower head bigger than three fists) and an ancient, deep red, climbing rose. I have sent so many friends to Houzz. And they have been as blown away by all the support as I was! Thank you SO much for helping - and saving me from myself. Sorry I went silent :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 24, 2014 at 1:01AM
All's well that ends well!
post pic of 'new' kitchen & the garden and let's put a bow on this.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ann Brown    September 24, 2014 at 9:04AM
Ann Brown
OK! Here's a photo of the island - Granny's server + top (my husband reminded me it's granite, not marble, and the wood is oak I think, not teak!), with Granny's tea set and salver on the shelves below. It makes me very happy to have something of hers in my kitchen with me - she taught me to cook, afterall, and this server stood in her dining room (sans the top). It's one of those clever, old inventions - turns into a card table if you pull the shelf out towards you! Now I need to brush up on the bridge she taught me too! Still looking for the right rug - will post when I find it - and garden pics to come (a bit overcast in Cape Town today)! Thanks again, everyone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 24, 2014 at 10:52PM
ghingalls
Help me pick my Subway Tile Kitchen Backsplash Please
The first picture is so you have an idea of the overall...
christy25
Caviar taste on hot dog budget! PLEASE help me PIMP MY KITCHEN!! :)
Downsized from a home that had a designer kitchen w/all...
addicted208
Please help me make my kitchen beautiful
We are buying a 1925 home in 3 weeks and the kitchen...
Ghena Benner
Please help me brighten up my dungeon kitchen!
Earlier this summer we purchased a 1907 Victorian....
Miranda Bouck
Decor
Looking for some advice on decor to go with this color...
nikitaosmond
Comparing new construction wood clad windows
Have several estimates but can't find input on quality...
mcmomigle
Sectional sofa dilemma
I need accent pillows and a rug for this sectional...
rimacoles
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster
What can I do to improve the curb appeal of this small home
I would like to improve the curb appeal of my small...
dmanuel3