What color furniture and rug?
faddu1
Here is my family room in my new house. The fireplace tiles didn't come out exactly how we wanted them to. The floor tiles and fireplace clash and are both too light. We are hoping the sofa, rug, and accessories we chose will help to bring life to the room.

So what colors should we go with? Browns?
dclostboy
It's a neutral palette. I prefer grays and charcoals to browns, but just a preference.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:53AM
pmarch39
I think its pretty and it doesn't clash. Either grays or browns will work. You can paint the mantel a different color and pick a color from the stone in your fireplace to paint the walls. I would get your main pieces of furniture in the room first then pick a wall color to coordinate. You are only looking at the trees not the forest. Once you paint and add your furnishing, the fireplace will fit in and be a nice focal point.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:07AM
faddu1
Thanks guys. We r not really good at designing and coordinating. I like the idea of painting the fireplace. That would be a diff color than the walls right? What color would u propose to do the walls? And the sofas?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:14AM
Mark
Is it too late to change the size of the mantle ?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 7:46AM
indianpatti
Really love copper and gray together ... copper lamps/pendants/floor lamps
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 7:52AM
faddu1
Yeah we can't make any changes now.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:00AM
Mark
If it was my fireplace I would have wanted the wall to go right up to the ceiling ( not sure how high your ceilings are ) and then the stone right up to the ceiling. If that is not possible I think the mantle is too big in proportion to the brick fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:14AM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
Have you considered putting a sealer on the floor tiles to bring out the richer tones in them? There are different finishes (kind of like paint finishes) and if you go with a flat or satin finish the tiles will look darker without being shiny.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:36AM
jh77
I don't think they clash - at least looking at the photo. It looks like there are a lot of colors you could choose from. I would go with light colored furniture (if you are concerned about dirt, go with slip covered furniture with pops of color for accents. Or you could get the color in the furniture itself. The nice thing is that this is neutral enough it will work with just about anything you pick, except maybe jewel tones. Rusts and golds would work, or blues and greys, or taupes and browns.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:49AM
faddu1
We couldn't change the fireplace design. The sealer idea is good. I will try that

Thanks for the color suggestions!
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 10:15AM
faddu1
Here's what it looks like in model home for idea of size of room and ceiling
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 10:17AM
Kim Davis with Walter E Smithe
I think both the grays and browns would work with this tile. The question is which do you prefer? What do you want to convey? Browns can be very warm. Gray can be warm or cool. Cool grays look awesome with blues and greens. Maybe pull the amber in too. Warm or cool, this could be beautiful both ways. The key is in accessorizing after you pull everything together to bring the fireplace and mantle to better porportion. Be very thoughtful about this space, maybe get some help.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 11:30AM
kpkb7
I love your stone fireplace. Mantel is a bit hefty, any chance you can balance it with faux support columns? I'd go with light brown/ tan/cream colors keeping the warm tones over the gray. Perhaps use bring the gray tones to bring in some rot iron decor. What color is your fireplace going to be, black? Note your stone even may have some gold/yellow tones. Maybe use that for accents.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 11:42AM
faddu1
Thanks guys. You guys are awesome. I should also mention it's an open floor plan. The stair railings are rot iron and kitchen has dark brown cabinets. The kitchen is something else I feel like we messed up on. I think all the colors you guys mentioned would tie everything toggumentioned w
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 2:13PM
bryght.com
Your fireplace may not have turned out the way you wanted it to but I must say it looks lovely. If it were me I would pair a sofa with some large, cozy lounge chairs. Here are a few options from Bryght that I think would look great with your fireplace. From top to bottom, left to right.

1. the Edward sofa in bard gray
2. the Edward ottoman in bard gray
3. Oscar lounge chair in beige OR
4. Long island lounge chair in white

For more styles and information www.bryght.com

Happy Decorating!
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 4:11PM
leelee
Don't try to copy the model home...it looks like it was done by the builder's wife or maybe the builder. It's over-decorated and trendy.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 5:57AM
pmarch39
Building a house can be very overwhelming. There are a lot of decisions to be made. You will feel better about the space once you are settled and start decorating. Your kitchen and staircase look beautiful! I think you did a really good job. It will all come together in due time. Best of luck.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:36PM
Does our new rug look good with furniture
We just got new furniture and coffee table and found...
judyberg
Does rug go with furniture
We bought this rug today but I'm not sure about it....
mydecorandstyle
Update furniture with pillows and area rug!
I would like to update my traditional furniture with...
maryb56
Need paint color ideas for living room with dark floors
Thought I had posted but can't find it. I keep changing...
ranger1950
Need advice on what color rug/bedding for room with light furniture
I am having the wallpaper in below photographed room....
onahamilton
Cost for remodel
What is a ball park for a laundry room remodel? I am...
mandyflanders
1950's Coral and Teal tiled bathroom
I recently purchased a 1950's home with the original...
mpino90
What do I put in this box?
This box looked lovely at Christmas, but when I took...
combine
Heart Collage
Do you think this would be cool to make? I want to...
swishjen000
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats