We bought a house w/no garage. Now what?
tia_ns
We bought a 1962 home that had a ton going for it but needed a face lift inside. We spent a ton of time and money inside to give it a facelift, and now as we get ready to move in, the realization that the house has no garage is hitting us. Adding one right now is not an option, perhaps later. If you don't have a garage, I'd love ideas on where you store the outdoor stuff. We have two young boys, so bikes, power wheels vehicles, pool accessories and the typical stuff you store in a garage. The only thing catching my eye right now is an Amish Barn. Thoughts?
Tectonicus Constructs LLC
I have two projects that might inspire you,
A carport and a shed.
Carport is only for cars and power, shed is only for storage and gray water.
Project: Loma Linda Solar Carport
Project: Shed no. 8841
Perhaps they are too modern for you, but the ideas you might find interesting...
January 19, 2014 at 5:15PM      Thanked by tia_ns
hatetoshop
A shed.
January 19, 2014 at 5:37PM   
Or a temporary carport.
January 19, 2014 at 5:45PM   
Tectonicus Constructs LLC
What kind of house is it, any pictures? Would an Amish barn fit right in?
January 19, 2014 at 5:51PM   
tia_ns
Here is the front of the house, and then the back. The view from the back is from a gazebo that we ended up taking down which could be a good place for a shed of some sort.
January 19, 2014 at 7:39PM   
happyasaclam
If your subdivision covenants allow sheds and there are no deed restrictions, you could buy a small used shed and put it in the back, out of site. Buying used would save money you could save for building the garage! If you were thinking of putting it where the gazebo was, it looks like that is a bit of a distance from the house, however. When you build your garage or storage room onto the house you can sell the storage building and re-coup some of the money spent on the shed :)
January 19, 2014 at 7:57PM      Thanked by tia_ns
troysmommy
Under the back deck, where there is lattice, could that be removed, rage area cleaned out? Put some bricks or slabs for flooring and store bikes, outdoor furniture, lawn mowers there? Doors could be made that opened to hide the storage area.
January 19, 2014 at 7:59PM      Thanked by tia_ns
happyasaclam
Actually, troysmommy, we have done that and it works fine! Just have to throw a tarp over the stuff that doesn't need to stay wet. :)
January 19, 2014 at 8:36PM      Thanked by tia_ns
tia_ns
That's a good idea about using the space under the deck. We do have a courtyard just off to the side entrance of the house, I guess we could put something there to keep the power wheels stuff dry. I really am going to miss having a garage!
January 19, 2014 at 9:10PM   
Tectonicus Constructs LLC
An Amish barn would work great in this setting. The upper level could be storage, the lower could be garden tools and a work-bench / tool room.
January 20, 2014 at 7:19AM   
Nothing awful, nothing great Master bedroom
This is it... Nothing awful, nothing great or inviting....
POLL: Which is your side of the bed?
People sometimes stake claims to their side of the...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Island Lighting
On a 10' x 4' island, I want 3 pendants. What should...