Living room design/ complementing art
karen95602January 19, 2014
We love the painting by June Steckler but not sure how to complement it properly. Is the wall too stark as is? Does it need large sconces on either side? Also, we could certainly use some design help with our new living room. It is only occasionally used but prominently positioned in the home. Thanks so much for any opinions, advice or ideas.
saratogaswizzlestick
Love your beautiful painting and how you pulled the color down with the throw. I don't think you need sconces as the painting is well lit. I also like the way you carry the teal in the next room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 4:43PM
mountie
Reposition the chairs so they are not blocking the fireplace which is the focal point that draws the eye toward the lovely painting.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 5:17PM
HI -- I love the painting but I'm not sure having it above the fireplace is the best place for it . I think it needs to be on a wall and hung lower . A big round fancy framed mirror would look better above the mantel . The scale is off with the painting .
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 5:31PM
Barnhart Gallery
What a sweet spot, and you're doing a nice job with it so far. I'd add a pair of large plants, a pair of large hurricane candles (or something in that spot), slightly widen the gap and turn the chairs a tiny bit more towards each other, and turn the table 90 degrees. I've also brought the tones in the painting onto the table.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 5:54PM
Kathleen Jamison
The painting is a bit to big. The white in the painting sits right on to the whit mantle. If it is an abstract can turn over with more of the teal next to mantel.
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 5:55PM
Kathleen Jamison
I also was thinking of hurricane lamps..is there room to fit them?
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 5:57PM
cmcole01
I think the painting is beautiful but think it's too big for over the mantle. Is there another wall you can hang it on?
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:02PM
Barnhart Gallery
...you might also swap those pillows for something that calls back up to the painting a bit more. Check out Pure Home here on houzz:
]
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:02PM
Barnhart Gallery
Had to see...
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:06PM
Keitha
The coffee table looks too heavy. What about something like this glass table from Pottery Barn?
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:07PM
hatetoshop
Agree the coffee table needs changing.
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:10PM
jojo132
@Barnhart Gallery like /cmcole1121 I love the painting but thought it just too tall for over the mantlepiece making the room look more like a corridor. What you've done, though, really seems to balance out the whole room and looks perfect.....job done!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:25PM
karen95602
I am so appreciating the input and advice! Barnhart Gallery has definitely improved my room. I have considered adding 2 more chairs and a round ottoman in the middle in the future. Thoughts?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:37PM
purplewatermelon
Instead of two more chairs, maybe a sofa along the half wall to the left of the fireplace (looking at the fireplace)? And move the chair to be where you thought you would put a forth. I LOVE that painting btw and wow those pillows Barnhart Gallery found are amazing. I agree that a round or oval glass coffee table would suit this space.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:44PM
Vicki Bauer
Ottoman is a wonderful idea!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:45PM
grobby
Painting is on the larges side. Everything looks too tight. Put the chairs farther apart. Also bring that beautiful blue in the painting out, maybe a cushion in the chair, small object on mantel.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 6:54PM
Ann
I agree the painting is a bit large for the mantel but maybe if the chairs are separated a bit more and angled a bit less, it will still work. It's beautiful art!!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 7:00PM
Beautiful space, gorgeous painting.

Do not add anything to the mantel. The painting is already a bit too large, so keep the mantel bare. Spread the chairs apart, add a tall plant behind one, and put a trio of blue or teal vases on the half wall on the side opposite the plant.

Pick up the almost-navy blue in the painting in a pillow in the chair on the right.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 7:03PM
Ann
I agree with grover, please don't add anything more to the mantle. I like grover's rendering:)
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 19, 2014 at 7:07PM
karen95602
I have moved the chairs farther apart and love the plants (or plant with vases) for height. And I will get blue pillows. This has helped me throw out my idea of 4 chairs. I'm still wondering if an ottoman would be better than a coffee table.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 7:24PM
abbyjean
LOVE the art and the blue pillows being suggested. Wonder what you look at when sitting in these chairs. While I realize I would be looking at the backs of the chairs when I looked in to this room, I think it would be nice to sit and look at the fire and the art and would turn the chairs to face them. I think a coffee table is appropriate for this room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 20, 2014 at 8:22PM
Vicki Bauer
Great, Karen! I wonder as does abbyjean what's on the wall opposite the fireplace? If nothing, think about a large upholstered bench parallel to the fireplace, then the Pottery Barn glass coffee table, and the chairs turned toward the fireplace .... If this doesn't work because there's not enough room for passing by the chairs, then use the bench as a versatile piece that can substitute as extra seating, coffeetable or to put your feet up. Forget the coffeetable. Just an idea. I'd also try putting the chairs together on the window side of the room, the bench on the low wall side, and a coffee table in the middle. This all depends on what other furniture is in the room. The blue pillow is a great idea. How about a punch of persimmon?
    Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 7:02AM
karen95602
Thanks much Vicki for the interesting ideas. I am trying to upload photos of other perspectives of the room as you and abbyjean suggested. Just having a little trouble with it.
    Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:33PM
Vicki Bauer
It will get easier. Take your time. I'm sure we'll still be here. ;-)
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 21, 2014 at 4:45PM
athomeeileen
Your room and all your things are beautiful! I would like the chairs further apart, the art a tiny bit higher, the throw on the opposite chair, and no pillows. I like the left and right plants also. Something a bit softer on the table. You can't go wrong with what you're working with!
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    January 21, 2014 at 5:51PM
karen95602
Did it! I uploaded photos of the room from other perspectives as had been suggested. Also, to the left (of the fireplace) is the great room and to the right is the dining room. I sure appreciate the input.
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 4:19PM
abbyjean
Thank you! Makes sense as to why the chairs face this direction now. I love that window in the corner. THAT would be my favorite place to sit!!! Is there room for a little ottoman for my feet??? LOL
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 4:57PM
karen95602
It's my favorite place to sit each morning and read my Bible. No ottoman but it is a recliner so your covered abbyjean! So comfy!
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 5:14PM
abbyjean
That has to be one of theeee nicest recliners I have ever seen.....as it does not look like one! That is one of my requirements for them!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 5:22PM
usergray
You love your painting...keep it, but it needs to 'pop';
-right now the white of the picture clashes /w the white mantel.
-put a medium rich wood board (1" thick-matching coffee table) on top of mantel, or colour top and part of edge.
-your even seeing fireplace....put 2 chairs /w table on L/S wall (don't block fireplace) & add a completely different type chair in a multi fabric or wood rocker on R/S of fireplace.
-put 2 very tall plants (6-7') in each corner of fireplace wall (bind plants if too wide).
-your next pics show 1 lonely chair....how about taller round rich wood game table /w 2 upholstered victorian chairs with tall tiffany table lamp?
-it's a strange shaped room...treat it like a parlour, as I presume you also have a family room.
PS...clock seems low.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    February 2, 2014 at 7:45PM
karen95602
Thanks for your many ideas. I will definitely think it through.
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 8:41PM
abbyjean
If there is a concern about white in the art with the white mantle, can you try flipping it over for us/you to see?
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    February 2, 2014 at 8:46PM
karen95602
It is signed so I probably don't want to do that. It seems rightly positioned to me as far the composition of the painting is concerned as it looks like light reflecting on water. But I understand what you're getting at.
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 8:59PM
Hyde Evans Design
I love the painting as well, but it doesn't look good with the wall color. There are several great options. Even white would be far better
    Bookmark   Thanked by karen95602    February 2, 2014 at 11:29PM
Lindsay Cowles LLC
Why don't you try to put a very thin floating frame around the painting to make it pop off the wall? If you decide that you want to look at other art, I have some wonderful pieces that would pop in your room.
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 6:20AM
Need design ideas for living room
I am looking for design ideas for my living room. Just...
carvos01
HELP!!! Living room challenge/design!!!
Bought this sofa recently, it doesn't look right to...
12aidyna
Please help me design my living/sitting room!
This is my main floor living / sitting room. I have...
elham1361
ATTENTION DESIGNERS - Need help with 13'x25' Living Room
My husband and I purchased our home 1 year ago. I...
seobrie
Please help with Living Room! Wish I was a designer! : ( Thx! : )
I'm completely stuck! Please give advice on... 1....
janis1
Choice.. bathroom
Another design dilemma - bathroom design. Criss-cross,...
Vanguard development LA
Help Placing my new Furniture
Tomorrow we are finally getting our furniture for our...
pauli12
Chair dilemma.
Here's another good example of our interior design...
VANGUARD development
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
Thoughts on the ceiling?
I want to paint the ceiling red in this great room....
oofieb