Need ideas for sprucing up Neo Victorian farmhouse.
bobcat2819
I am in Maine. White on white farmhouses are very common and I love them. My newly built house didn't quite have the oomph. I am aware of corbels and gingerbready type decorations. Not sure how they would look. Main issue is that it just looks bare. I've thought of black window boxes. I've thought of shutters. I don't care for shutters that much. I think painting grey or black around the windows would look tacky. Maybe not. Another thing is the shingles. They don't pop out until you get close. The railings will be painted in the spring and. Bushes planted. Need some ideas please. This is Maine and not San Fran or Montreal. The style is basic and not ostentacious. Like the people.
If possible consider painting the siding to a different 'neutral' color.

January 20, 2014 at 8:02am   
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
Hi, bobcat2819. Congratulations on your new home! I am an interior designer based in Miami, but I am originally from Maine and am very familiar with its farmhouses. I agree with Dytecture about painting the siding a neutral color. Perhaps a light gray or a sage green? Doing so will definitely highlight all of the existing architectural elements.
January 20, 2014 at 8:23am      Thanked by bobcat2819
bobcat2819
I was hoping to keep it white but it seems my only recourse is to change color.
January 20, 2014 at 8:25am   
bennnie
I love your house and agree that it needs a pop to give it some interest. Black window trim on a white house can look good if done right. but it can also look harsh. One of my favorite homes in Maine is a little farmhouse with white on white with a periwinkle door.
January 20, 2014 at 8:28am        Thanked by bobcat2819
bobcat2819
Great! This is exactly the types of ideas I wanted.
January 20, 2014 at 8:30am   
seestern
what about some fresh paint :-) .. I thought I uploaded some pictures
January 20, 2014 at 8:32am   
seestern
..
January 20, 2014 at 8:36am   
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I agree, but you may want to wait until the spring to make a final decision, because the white on white just blends in with all of the snow on the ground and will really pop when everything is green again:

Massachusetts Farm House

You may also want to consider just painting part of the house a different color (such as the porch area?):

Charlotte Entry Garden
January 20, 2014 at 8:38am   
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
And if you decide to go with the black window trim, you could paint the railings black, too. And the front door a bright color.
January 20, 2014 at 8:48am   
bluenan
Good examples above by Wendi. I love a big white house and agree that once you landscape you'll see a big change. I would stay away from any gingerbread. You could paint the porch ceiling a pale blue or stain darker for contrast. Add some stone walls and look into stone veneer for the foundation. Porch furniture and flowers will help as well. Wait until winter is over to make big decisions.
Crisp Architects
Front Entrance
Mary Prince Photography © 2012 Houzz
Pinecroft
Victorian Splendor
Farmhouse
January 20, 2014 at 8:56am   
skmt
I too have a soft spot for "old" farm houses. My Mom grew up in one with green painted around the windows, trim and shutters and on the doors. It looked sharp against the white siding and not as stark of a contrast as black would be. Google this phrase "Punching Up a Farmhouse" and you'll find another popular site with a house similar to yours with some pretty cool ideas....the downside is you might be painting up a storm!
January 20, 2014 at 9:56am        Thanked by bobcat2819
bennnie
I love the idea of dark green or dark blue in lieu of black!
January 20, 2014 at 10:33am   
Amy Stokes
I think once it greens up you'll love what you have. I think the only thing you need are a few porch lights to emit a soft glow around the house to indicate this is a sanctuary.
January 20, 2014 at 10:34am     
Amy Stokes
I just noticed you have lights, but I don't think they are big enough. I'm sure they're new, but I would consider trading them out for some sizeable gooseneck lamps. Barnlight Electric makes some great ones. You could go black like you have now or a fun color if you're feeling brave. I think a robin egg blue would be lovely.
January 20, 2014 at 10:53am        Thanked by bobcat2819
Amy Stokes
Here is a close up of the lamp I'm referring to.
January 20, 2014 at 10:55am   
saletto
Congratulations on your beautiful home. I LOVE it the way it is. Pure white is beautiful, so elegant and modern. The only thing I would paint is deck railing, maybe dark matte charcoal colour?
January 20, 2014 at 11:04am   
bobcat2819
The deck is a grey. One coat of solid stain. I can change that in the spring.
January 20, 2014 at 11:45am   
bobcat2819
Amy thanks. I was gonna do robins egg blue on the porch roof. I elected for spar varnish instead. I think you may be right on the lights. I thought they were going to be too big. Ended up a little.small.
January 20, 2014 at 11:48am   
architectrunnerguy
As a minimum I'd paint the railings white. They don't fit the house at all. If it where me I'd get rid of the railings completely which you can do if you're less then 30" to the ground. Without railings the porch would look like Bluenann and Bennnie's photos above and the porch would have a more open inviting look.

In fairness, the house is new and the shots are in winter, but once some foundation landscaping gets in that will visually anchor it to the ground better.
January 20, 2014 at 11:51am        Thanked by bobcat2819
tuckerandscooby
bobcat, with the exception of the unfinished railings, please don't change a thing. No gingerbread, no shutters, please no paint. The white on white of your home is lovely. It is a true accomplishment that it does not look like new construction. I had to look many times to believe it was not a real (historic) farmhouse. I rarely comment but just had to say, I love it.
January 30, 2014 at 8:55pm   
sunnydrew
I love your white house. I am sorry that you had to out the electric meter right by the front porch though. Where I live they are usually in the back or sides.
January 30, 2014 at 9:05pm   
Katy Richard
I'd paint at least the shakes a different color to highlight them, perhaps a light grey, so as not to be too different. And shutters would truly add a perfect touch of color and contrast.
January 30, 2014 at 11:34pm   
mveasey
There can be a fine line between oomph and ostentatious!
I love your exterior, it is honest, classic and beautiful. Wait until you have some landscaping in and the surroundings are back to its summer glory. Your shingles will develop a patina over time and be more noticeable, I think.
If you think something is still missing, then you can always add details.
January 31, 2014 at 12:00am     
Katy Richard
A few ideas for select details.
January 31, 2014 at 12:03am   
I am in Maine. White on white farmhouses are very common...
Selling home and need to spruce up this kitchen. Ideas?
Hi there. We are selling our home and need to spruce...
Buying a lake house and need ideas on how to spruce up the exterior!
We are closing on an older 1930's house on a lake soon...
Need ideas on how to spruce up the outside of this baby
We want to bring this home to the future but have a...
Need ideas on sprucing up this 1930's brick cottage style house
I had originally posted this in the Other section but...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
Help choose color for kitchen cabinets
I am having a tough time deciding between rustoleum's...
Would you go for a striped wall?
Feature walls are big news, but what if you want to...
What to put on this wall?
I am wondering what to put on the white wall to the...