Painting kitchen cabs,
sweetdee920
Hi all! We are in the process of getting contractor bids to update the kitchen in our 1928 Spanish style home. Putting gold toned Crema marble on the counters, keeping the original cabs. My question- how does one decide on a color? I don't want white cabinets but have never had to pick a color for kitchen cabs before. The wall between the kitchen and dining room will be removed and replaced with the same arch from the living room into the dining room. So the kitchen will be visible to the living room. Any ideas welcome. Thank you.
sbethschmitt
Choose a couple colors and then try them out on a door or drawer face. I like an accent color on either the top or bottom and then a neutral on the others. You seem to like blue- a gorgeous vibrant blue would be pretty on bottoms.
January 20, 2014 at 10:01am        Thanked by sweetdee920
orangemom
Have you done a search of the Houzz site for painted kitchen cabinets? I am renovating my kitchen as well and searches on specific items have given me great visuals and some ideas for cabinet colors that I would not have thought of myself. Good luck, really cute kitchen by the way!
January 20, 2014 at 10:04am        Thanked by sweetdee920
leelee
Don't miss a great opportunity to add knobs in a better location on your doors and drawers. Keeping all knobs will unify the look. You could also replace the hinges and go with hidden hinges. Again, a less busy look in a not-too-big kitchen.
January 20, 2014 at 10:11am     
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I recommend selecting your slab of Crema marble first, and then choosing a cabinet color that matches some of the veining (or is slightly lighter or darker than).
January 20, 2014 at 10:16am        Thanked by sweetdee920
leelee
A soft color that blends with your crema marble (maybe close to the color that's on the cabs now) Is this how the crema marble looks?
January 20, 2014 at 10:17am      Thanked by sweetdee920
leelee
Don't let them do a 4" backsplash of the crema especially if you're planning on using other tiles for a backsplash.
January 20, 2014 at 10:20am      Thanked by sweetdee920
sue2029
Ummm we had custom cabinets made then we painted them- I looked at a lot of blues- and we have a gold toned granite. After a lot of searching and painted many boards to try colors the blues clashed with the gold so we went with a Restoration Hardware color called Mediterrian Gold- basically white with gold undertones- anybody can mix it. We also had glass panels placed in some cabinets to highlite blue accent pieces inside.I also considered the blue lowers and creme uppers - in our kitchen it looked odd - our entire island faces the door so all that blue would have overwhelmed the space. I thought about leaving island creme and just "back wall lowers blue" but then felt like a mismash. My trick was to buy a few 24 in by 48 inch unfinished wood panels at HD about $9.00 each -you can paint both sides to try different shades. Alot easier than painting cabinets - that's is long job. So you only want to do that once. After saying all that I still love the blue/gray concept of painted cabinets - I was just too timid to do it! .
January 20, 2014 at 10:21am        Thanked by sweetdee920
sweetdee920
Sue2029- that is what I'm afraid of, too many colors? Like the door buying idea. Thanks! With the kitchen becoming more open I don't want to overwhelm the dining room. I think maybe the color on them already might just work...
January 20, 2014 at 10:27am     
sweetdee920
As LeeLee points out. And those knobs, yikes! Don't like the black glass knobs and pulls. They are period to the house. I'd be willing to keep the hinges (period design) then go with a quieter handle. Keeping things period to the year of the house is important ... to a point.
January 20, 2014 at 10:29am     
sweetdee920
LeeLee- tell me more about not doing a marble backsplash and tile. Do you mean do not mix? Go with one above the other? I was thinking subway tile bs but the contractor suggested the marble. I'd prefer tile.
January 20, 2014 at 10:39am   
leelee
Yes, I mean don't do both together. In fact, I don't like the 4" BS even if there is no other tile of any type, just painted walls. To me it chops up the wall and it's not necessary. I've done that very thing in my own kitchen with absolutely no issues. Here's what NOT to do.
January 20, 2014 at 10:47am        Thanked by sweetdee920
movethisnotthat
Consider a counter top made of quartz instead of marble (marble stains) then use marble for your back splash. There are many great pieces of quartz !! Pick that first then the other color will come together for you.
January 20, 2014 at 10:50am        Thanked by sweetdee920
leelee
Don't you think this looks nicer? Subway tile would be in keeping with your era home. The mosaics are good, too.
January 20, 2014 at 10:52am      Thanked by sweetdee920
sue2029
I agree with leelee the knobs are too much- a simple stainless would work. of course you will if changing knobs may need to fill holes and that will require repainting. don't be afraid to paint not a hard job and if tackled a few at a time not bad. The stark white to a gold creme can really gives a custom look your cabinets. Check out the deep cremes - they really blend with the gold stone. I also love no backsplash -especially if working with a slide in range.
January 20, 2014 at 10:55am     
sue2029
I have not yet found a backslash to go with the gold granite we have- because so many colors with the gold - the whites are too stark- the cremes are ok but blend into cabinet color- I am considering a silver color like a hammered pewter. For now we painted and looks fine. Finish your cabinets and the countertops- stand back and live with it for bit then tackle the backsplash as that being eyelevel will need to pull all together for you- just my 2 cents. :)
January 20, 2014 at 11:02am        Thanked by sweetdee920
sweetdee920
Very clean look with the BS going all the way to the counter top. We are making the stove an island facing the dining room. I really like the cream cabinets ( what I have!!) but maybe going a little lighter, cleaner. And moving the knob. Thanks for all the input. I did find some beautiful cream and blue kit cabs and saved them to my idea book. So pretty.
January 20, 2014 at 1:15pm   
Painting kitchen cabs
I'd like to know the color of these cabinets, they...
Painting oak cabs in the kitchen
What is the best way to paint oak cabinets a white...
What color to paint my kitchen cabs
I sanded down my kitchen cabinets and don't know what...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
To frame or not to frame
Please advise re framing or not framing artwork
Need help with lighting and mirror in bathroom
We are remodeling a guest bathroom. I'd like to put...
Need Help Landscaping Brick Ranch
We cannot stand the front landscaping - rocks/pebbles...
Need help with Paint!! (Will possibly add Portico later this summer)
I can not decide what paint colors to use on this house....