Open floor- need help!
Cyndi Ansley
January 21, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Our main living area is very open. It seems like we have so much wasted space and I can't figure out how to make the most of the room.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Cyndi Ansley
We need to add a table that seats at least 6 people to this room. We are a family of 5 and basically we crowd around that small table or eat at the counter.
January 21, 2014 at 5:47pm   
PRO
Dytecture
Looks like there could be better separation from the foyer and perhaps create a study or computer space close to the kitchen.
January 21, 2014 at 7:07pm   
Natalie
Hi---nice space. Looks like you could have 2 sitting areas. Perhaps four, small-scaled chairs. Pics for inspiration.
Good Luck!
[houzz=Sweetbrush Residence][houzz=Clara Barton]
January 21, 2014 at 7:31pm     
PRO
Addison Design
Get a rectangular dining table, not too wide, and push it up against the wall opposite the kitchen bar. You can put a chair at each end and 2 along the long side (or instead of 2 chairs use a bench that can snug up under the table). Pull the table away from the wall when you are eating. Use your small table as a game table and pull the chairs over to the dining table when you need them. Make sure you hang some art over the table

I would also angle your sofa a little and spread out your club chairs. Your seating area looks like it's too tight and crammed together. You have plenty of room to spread out that seating area.
January 21, 2014 at 7:41pm     
okdokegal
Get a bookcase that is on casters, a good 6' high and 4' wide or wider. Fill it full of stuff, and use it as a rolling divider to help you define space or spaces, in your big room. You can later use it against a wall or in another room... and if needed you can always add division with the artful placement of furniture or sectioned screens. I really think your space could use some visual breaking up to feel more comfortable and work better.
January 21, 2014 at 7:54pm