What backsplash with Golden Lightning granite
vevmom
We have dark cherry cabinets and a small U shaped kitchen with a peninsula breakfast island at end which wraps around to family room. The kitchen has only one window over a large counter. The family room has lots of natural light. What kind of backsplash would brighten up this intense, gorgeous countertop? I believe pattern would compete with stone - but am in a quandary what type of backsplash would be best.
TanCalGal
Photo of granite?
    Bookmark   Thanked by vevmom    January 23, 2014 at 5:19PM
vevmom
it is called Golden Lightening leathered. I hope you can see these pictures from warehouse.
It is overall green with concentrations of the colors in pictures.
    Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:46PM
TanCalGal
I cannot see the back splash you have but from here it seems to be OK with the granite. You do not like the current back splash for some reason?

From what I can see of your kitchen, I think the problem is not the granite and the current back splash. The problem is the kitchen is a little cluttered. Remove the clutter and buy 3 vases in colors you find in the granite & place in the corner to the left of the sink. Maybe you have something that will do already? The oil lamp with colored oil in the base and 2 other items in that corner. Transitional Kitchen

Do not cover the beautiful wood: remove the hanging from breakfast bar. The other problem is the hanging ceiling light. Choose a ceiling light that is a little larger. If you like anitques how about a school house ceiling fixture? Titan 2010

Under counter lights will help brighten as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 6:31PM
vevmom
Thank you for your comments! Actually the backsplash has to be torn out - it is 80's tile with flowers. This is the before kitchen. I appreciate your comments about the lighting and the clutter! I wish the wall could come down like the above picture, however, we need the cabinets and the range is on that wall. We love the wood.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 3:57AM
purplewatermelon
I would do something simple such as a creamy subway tile so not to take away from the beauty of the granite counters. The brightness of the tile will also lighten up the space.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:06AM
One Stop Home Shop
I like the idea of a creamy subway tile as well, or maybe a light honed or polished marble subway.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:55AM
vevmom
Thank you for your suggestions. I love the look of subway tile. Honed would be great since the granite is leathered.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:07AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Here are a few ideas, to accent the green color. You can choose to tile the whole backsplash or use as accent strips by cutting down.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:14AM
vevmom
Thank you! I love the ones on the bottom right. They look like marble. What are they made of. I am hoping to lighten up the area, so they may be a bit dark. However, as accents, they are gorgeous!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:20AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
A few more ideas for you.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:44AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
vevmom, the bottom right one is from United Tile called Agate 1x4 stacked.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:48AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Here are a few tile layout ideas on how you can use mosaics as accents. The last photo is a tiled niche in the wall that I did on one of my kitchen projects. This I have done behind stove areas as well. Easy to do.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:55AM
vevmom
thank you so much!! So many amazing options. These tiles are incredible. I am so grateful for these suggestions and the time you are taking to offer them.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:09AM
Elizabeth Babb
A nice tumbled (non-filled) travertine would look really nice; it will pick up those light tones in the granite and still have lots of texture to stay on par with it too!
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 7:44AM
vevmom
Thank you this is also amazing! It looks like it doesn't have grout between the bricks. Is it grouted from behind? Do you know how this is installed? I love the look of this. While this is not an old old house, it is built with many features of an historical house.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 8:46AM
TanCalGal
I'd look for a tile similar to the back splash in this photo. It blends with the cabinets, repeats the pine floor and harmonizes with the granite. I don't like the decorative pattern over the stove, but I think the other more plain back splash design might work in your kitchen. Whatever you decide, I think you will have to bring home many tile samples and view them in day light and night light. Take your time.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:41AM
vevmom
Thank you. We are going to have the countertop installed and then experiment with different tile samples. Viewing them in daylight and nighttime makes a lot of sense.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:04PM
TanCalGal
Oh! for some reason I thought you already had the granite and just wanted a new back splash. I have cherry cabinets and a wood floor that repeats the cabinets. I chose the same granite on the entire back splash as on the counter. My designer suggested this and I've loved it for 13 years. You might like the same granite as your back splash, too. It is easy to clean, cohesive and saves many headaches looking for a tile that often never quite works with the granite (IMO).
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 2:37PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Agree about continue the granite onto backsplash..it looks great and makes the space seem larger, and never goes out of style.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:03PM
vevmom
Thanks everyone, My worry is that this granite is so intense, the kitchen is small and tends to be dark. I also do not think that is an option with our two slabs of our over the budget granite choice. I do see how this could be an amazing look.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 7:45PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
It is even more important to do the granite on the backsplash in a small kitchen and if the granite has "movement". 2 patterns together makes a space look busy and small...and that includes white subway tiles, or the colored glass tiles.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:53PM
Rachel H
I seem to be recommending glass subway tile all night but you don't want a backsplash that competes with that gorgeous stone.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:14PM
Glass Tile Store
I like the first set of tiles Wyland Interior Design Center suggested. Here's some of our you might like too
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 2:42AM
vevmom
Thanks everyone, I will consider all of these options. The granite does have movement. I certainly do not want to compete with the granite, on the other hand the budget is not going to stretch to include more granite (not even sure another consequetive granite is available. We are buying all new appliances, as well as lighting. I know I don't want anything busy, but I thought a subway tile of softer (honed or tumbled) stone of little color variation might work. Now I am worried. Hmmm...
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:42AM
TanCalGal
Just a thought. You like the green granite but it is more expensive than other granite choices from what you say. When I was choosing granite, my first choice was a blue tone granite and it was horribly expensive. I finally chose a less expensive granite so I could have the granite back splash, too. I incorporate blue in other ways in the kitchen. If you chose another granite, you could incorporate the green color you like via towels, vases, plates on the wall, plants.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 9:38AM
vevmom
Thanks. We already own the granite and it is being installed in a couple of weeks. So, that is why I wanted some suggestions for the backsplash. I will wait until it is in place (we are having the area above the stove covered with the granite - but there is not enough to go around.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:57PM
rermartin
I saw Golden Lightning countertops in a kitchen cabinet store in Grand Rapids, MI, and I think I would like to order that particular type/color of granite for my new kitchen countertops. The problem is that the granite shop I went to no longer keeps it in stock and cannot order me a sample. I don't want to purchase one or two complete slabs of expensive granite without first seeing a sample of the actual slab(s) I would be ordering. Any suggestions?
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 11:06PM
vevmom
Hmm. We now have the granite in place. We chose from a number of slabs and picked out the slabs were were going to use for our kitchen. I ould never order this granite from a sample because it is a complicated stone and has various patterns throughout of varying degrees of colors. We took time to determine what patterns we wanted at what point in our kitchen. The other complication is that in choosing the backsplash (if you are using tile) it requires a good view of the various colors throughout the tile. A sample would not show this,
unles it was a lucky sample out of the middle of the stone which is representative of all the variation. I would try to find slabs in a warehouse that are the ones actually going to be used on your actual kitchen. We had to drive to several granite warehouses to do this. By the way we are thrilled with our granite (ours is leathered). All the apprehension and concern were wiped out when we actually saw this amazing stone in our kitchen. We ended up picking a 2 x 6 inch crackled subway tile in honey beige from Walker and Zanger. Good luck!!! It is worth seeing the stone in person.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 4:42AM
rermartin
Is the crackled honey beige subway tile backsplash in place yet? Please post a photo if it is.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 5:43PM
Island granite and backsplash
I love the swirls in the granite, do u have details?...
Nicole Bruce_Fritz
What backsplash would you recommend to go with golden crystal granite
Cabinets are clove.... Granite is golden clove.......
lpstompanato
My backsplash is granite and matches my countertops! I want to change
As you can see in the pics the people that owned the...
Jeff Whiteley
Can't Decide on Granite and Backsplash
I am installing new cabinets similar in color to what...
walves508
Golden Oak everywhere-help!
I am new to this site that I found on Pinterest. I...
lstromme
Pintrest
I cannot pin any of the Houzz pictures. Please advice...
pateldr
Desperately pink mid century bathroom needs re hall.
Well, the only detail of this very utilitarian 50's...
zebrastrips
Condo "Walk in Closet"
I have a 5ft 11 in x 5ft 11in "walk in" closet in my...
rfragachan
Need some curb appeal for this 1968 mid-century ranch
This 1968 mid century ranch lacks curb appeal. We are...
lathrop1
Need advice on interior designer's advice on fireplace
We recently hired an interior designer to help us with...
Ying McEwen