Air return on wall...
Cynthia's CornerJanuary 22, 2014
What a house design mistake for a air return to be put on a main living room wall... I have no idea how to decorate this wall.. any ideas???
Janelle
Take photo farther away, so we can see you couch etc..
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:34AM
smileyface2013
Install wood trim at the height of the side walls, continue crown molding around the side walls in the rest of the room. Install a second vent (or a fake vent) to make it symmetrical (see how vents are placed in photo, as well as wood trim).

6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Cynthia's Corner    January 22, 2014 at 6:42AM
tennisanyone
I would take the scroll down for sure. It only emphasizes the vent. Lets start with that until we see more pictures.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Cynthia's Corner    January 22, 2014 at 6:43AM
Curt D'Onofrio
You could put a pattern on the wall then paint the vent so it blends in. The following photo is an example
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Cynthia's Corner    January 22, 2014 at 6:43AM
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
If you hung a mirror above the sofa, it would reflect the view and distract the eye away from the vent.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:53AM
purplewatermelon
Could you post a wider angle picture so we can see more of the wall?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:54AM
Cynthia's Corner
Wide view...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:04AM
Cynthia's Corner
I haven't done anything to this wall yet because of this vent... I am waiting to decorate furniture ect... Because I am at such a lose...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:10AM
ldhaglund
most inexpensive solution: lose the scroll, move the painting as low as you can without hitting your head on it when sitting on couch. - both are currently only emphasizing the vent.
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Cynthia's Corner    January 22, 2014 at 7:11AM
Warner Decor
I completely agree! What a design mistake! Depending on your style, I think that you could go with a grouping of pieces to fill the space, as well as distract the eye from the air vent. Here are a few suggestions: http://www.deciture.com/shop/decor/3/uttermost-newark-photo-collage-metal-wall-art-set-/
http://www.deciture.com/shop/decor/2/imax-vine-wall-decor-panel-set-9/

Hope these help!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:13AM
jn3344
You painted the grille the same color as the wall it looks like? Maybe a pro can weigh in but can you turn the grille upside down so that when you are looking up at it you are seeing the paint color and not the dark behind the grille? Not sure if this is allowed by code or whatnot.

Kind of like how venetian blinds look opened one way as opposed to the other.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:17AM
Janelle
I think a bunch of pictures and maybe the shelf to camouflage the return
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:21AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Cynthia - A couple thoughts:

The air return could be re-positioned lower on the wall, accessing the same two stud spaces - behind the couch, perhaps, as long as the couch is a few inches away from the wall to allow good air movement. It should function fine there, especially if your ceiling fan circulates air in your room on hottest and coldest days.

Then drywall over the hole and paint it.

If you choose to leave the vent where it is, its visual impact can be reduced a bit by painting the cavity and the stud behind it to match the louver and the wall - and installing it with the louver fins aiming UP rather than down - so you don't see into the shadowed wall cavity from your normal line-of sight.

BTW - I agree that the scroll deco is not helping - pulls your eye way up in a distracting way.

Best Wishes! Mark
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:28AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Yes to Janelles' idea. Shelf under vent with small stuff so as not to block too much air flow

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:28AM
Cynthia's Corner
GREAT ideas so far!!! I'm seriously thinking of having the return moved if nothing else... If not it will always be an eye sore to me no matter what... I have another iron work piece on the opposite wall of the that I like... I will post picture... But I can see where this one may have to go...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:09AM
eightpondfarm
LOVE the painting! those are Scottish Highlands yes? we breed them here on our farm :))
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:09AM
Cynthia's Corner
Opposite wall...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:10AM
Cynthia's Corner
Another view...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:18AM
I think that if you leave adequate space between a hanging and the vent, so that the vent can function properly, you could do this using a continental curtain rod:
The Parker Palm Springs/Becky Harris
Single Hotel Rod | Restoration Hardware
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:33AM
tennisanyone
Another thought, If you took the two metal pieces and placed one OVER the vent and the other one opposite it and hung vertical picture in the middle, maybe that will draw the eye away from it in symetricial way. It will still allow the air to flow.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 9:24AM
Cynthia's Corner
That may be a great idea tennisanyone... I could purchase smaller rectangle ones and remove the one up high all together!!!! Liking that idea... Someone posted earlier with a similar idea... This sure will be better than removing it and having to replace Sheetrock ect...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:01AM
tennisanyone
I meant take the other one down on the opposite wall. Put them together on the same wall and one OVER the vent.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:05AM
tennisanyone
What do you mean purchase small rectangle ones? Use what you have. You said you have two of those scrolls. Bring the scroll down and put it over the vent and then take the other one that you have and move it to the same wall on the opposite side of the same wall and put a vertical picture in the middle. Its worth a try since you have two scrolls
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:12AM
studio10001
No scrolled eyebrows, please.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:20AM
grobby
I would have a professional come in and relocate the vent. Will take care of the problem, otherwise, it's always going to grab your attention.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:27AM
Genevieve
I would simply reverse the room around placing the cabinet on that wall without covering the vent . The eyes are drawn to the picture that automatically fall on the vent .

if you painted that wall in a dark color the vent will disappear in it .
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:38AM
Cynthia's Corner
Tennis anyone... The scrolls are quite large and would only be about 5 feet apart when centered of the wall... Having four feet of wall left on either side... The scrolls themselves are 5 feet...
I did have the wall unit on that wall to began with and the arrangement on top seem to cover the vent well... The wall the unit is on now is to short for much... A couch and an end table at best... I went from a 4000 square ft home with large pieces of furniture to a 1800 square ft house... Things are not working out to well so far...
Thanks for all the ideas... I will think on it some more and run the ideas by with some friends...Thanks tons for all the help...
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 11:53AM
lucidos
I like what Tennis is suggesting but not with those scrolls. I would sooner see a real brass or cast iron cover and it mimicked on the other side. A wider and longer image over the couch too. See if there are any salvage houses in your area you may find a matching set of old covers that would suit you.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:00PM
tennisanyone
The scrolls do not look five feet on my screen.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:08PM
tennisanyone
Studiol001 said no scrolled eyebrows. LOL Maybe a vertical picture would be better otherwise, I would have it moved.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:09PM
chrisinky
Put a high wall shelf running across the entire wall (maybe opposite wall too) that is just over the door & just under the vent. Place a few decorative items on the shelf & strategically place something like a wire basket in front of the vent to hide it, but keep the air flow moving.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:13PM
tennisanyone
Don't put a shelf that high. It would look out of place.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:14PM
jn3344
I would not double the number of vents.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:28PM
studio10001
....although I am very much enjoying the face lucinda has made, and now want to add hanging lantern earrings. :))
I think Mark has given a practical solution. Save the proverbial lipstick and bite the bullet?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:29PM
lucidos
Interestingly I am wondering why that vent is placed so asymmetrically and so large. I would consult a HVAC professional to see about relocation.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:43PM
Barnhart Gallery
Some great ideas! I'd also consider mounting a set of carvings like this homeowner has a couple of inches proud of the wall and painting out in black or a dark tone just behind: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/816657/Need-help--display-items--color-scheme-etc-
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:56PM
chrisinky
Something like this is what I meant by a high wall shelf.

garden room
Northbrook House

Or try hiding it behind metal wall art that lets air flow through or paint wall a darker shade so its less noticeable.

Frisco European
Haute Culture
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:02PM
Cynthia's Corner
You guys are GREAT!!! This is the first time I have posted a discussion... My daughter advised me to ask you guys for help... She just bought a big home and is asking for suggestions almost daily... This is so wonderful... Seriously!!! Adding the pictures helps tons also... Again BIG thanks...
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:42PM
Cynthia's Corner
Believe it or not I have a ditto one like this in our bedroom... LOVE men designers (Ty)... But I am positive a woman did not design this house with vents on the walls... Mercy...
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 2:45PM
tennisanyone
If you have two vents, I would get them moved.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 3:20PM
Janelle
Post some pics when you get it finished:)
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:45PM
abbyjean
I think you have your solution......moving the large piece back over there as you said it disguised the vent. And a couch is on this wall now and you said a couch would fit on the other wall? Think you have it figured out and it will work and look nice, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:53PM
sunnydrew
from your original picture I say to remove that scroll work in the peak of the wall and lower the big painting. The vent is not as noticeable to others. You are drawing the eye right to it now.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:03PM
pbjammin
What I was told years ago was to ignore the functional aspects of the house, like thermostats, light switches, etc (vents) and hang art appropriately as though they didn't exist. People see the proportion, not the individual little things. I do think you need to lower and enlarge the artwork behind your couch.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:12PM
Natasha Assa
Shadow boxes will do the trick like in this photo:

2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:21PM
Natasha Assa
I bet you can't even see the airconditioner in the shadow box, can you?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:22PM
karelina
I'm with Warner Decor. On another houzz blog, there was a similar problem. The suggestion was to put a group of framed pix around the vent and the vent was just one more shape in the group. The results were to make the impact of the vent negligible. Before investing in the many expensive suggestions above, I'd give that a try.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 9:17PM
574steele
Not only mount a 2nd grille for balance, but designers out there, do they make a decorative grille for wall mounting like they do for the floor? That in itself could provide the scrolling. I know old houses have vents which are decorative. Another thought, cover the vent with a porous fabric that matches the wall color giving it the look of built-in speakers.
    Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:55AM
Janelle
So what did you decide to do?
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:27PM
Ugly Cold Air Return
How can I camouflage the furnace short door and 15"...
Sue Perrelli
Bedroom clothing storage alternative ideas
We have a small house. The bedrooms are small of course,...
Missi Rogge
Help making this ugly air return disappear!
we just moved into a new house and need help decorating...
ap3250
Ideas for an unusual window seat in the master bedroom
We are updating our master bedroom by adding some more...
pauline39
Open stairs
I desperately need suggestions for this open stair....
Elaine Lyons
Surprise dryer and vent, help!
Living in a basement suite and found out that our dryer...
hthroness
wooden log on fungus/ rotting
hi i'm design up a wooden log wall for my live kitchen...
ashu101
Blue square sofa
Any suggestions how to make my living room bright and...
Mirjana Jevtovic