What size subway tile
ginadrusc
I have decided on a light gray shiny glass subway tile for our back splash, but I am torn between sizes. Should I get a 1x2 or a 3x6 and why?

I have attached a photo of our kitchen in progress and the granite we will be installing.

Here is the site where the tile is. The color is pure wool. http://stores.flooranddecor.com/search/?asug=&w=pure+wool
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
Go with the 3 x 6. The scale is more contemporary and you will have fewer grout lines.
1 Like   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 7:27AM
3x6 as field tiles with smaller accent strips would be another option.
1 Like   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 7:29AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Gina - Nice-looking room! Very pretty stone, My personal suggestion is to use 3 x 6 white glazed "subway" tile for your splash, and consider picking up the mild grey tone in your wall paint instead of in the splash tile.

I am concerned that the glass tile will soon be the one element in this space that feels out-dated - while the rest of the space feels nicely done in classic materials that will feel great over a long period of fluctuations in the world of "what's hot" in design. Whereas 3 x 6 white-glazed sub-way tile with white grout will forever be "in" - and will provide a more neutral companion for your stone - letting its fun movement show off without competition from the glass splash and its more prominent grout line pattern.

Just my thoughts. ...if you use the grey glass, I'd suggest the 3 x 6, with grout color to blend with the tile.

Best Wishes! Mark
6 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 7:39AM
ginadrusc
Thanks Mark. I do love the white subway tile the best, but I was concerned that it would be too much white since we have the white cabinets. You don't think so?
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 7:41AM
purplewatermelon
I am doing all white so I am biased but I think white is beautiful and with your busier granite will create a calm look. I think the 3x6 is more traditional looking than the 1x2. I noticed a 3x9 which is more contemporary and might fit better with your pull selection.
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 7:54AM
purplewatermelon
Btw- love your kitchen:)
purplewatermelon
On closer look (I can't zoom in on your kitchen photo) it looks like you did pick a more traditional pull so the 3x6 suits.
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 7:55AM
Travis Robert Renovations
We vote for the 3 x 6 subway for your kitchen.
2 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 8:04AM
Susan Clickner
I also like the 3x6, but might opt for a soft gray grout. I just did a child's bath that way and everyone notices and like the gray grout...
1 Like   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 8:10AM
jn3344
That's really a nice kitchen. What tile did you use on your floor?

fwiw I agree with Mark above.
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 8:11AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I love the granite, but because it is busy, the larger tile would be better, otherwise the small tile will compete with the granite for "busyness" side by side. My choice would be to continue the granite up onto the backsplash. It is a clean look that makes a statement and will NEVER go out of style.
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 8:11AM
indianpatti
I would go with a 3 x 12 white glass tile
5 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 8:15AM
ginadrusc
We used 12x24 porcelain tile from MS International in Pompano Beach, FL. The color is dimensions graphite. They also sell it at Home Depot in a slightly lighter shade.
1 Like   January 22, 2014 at 8:17AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
I agree with your choice since it convey's a modern theme and keeps the Eye Flowing across wall 3x6 would be to traditional
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 9:48AM
A.Clore Interiors
3 x 6 for sure! I agree with almost every desire on this feed!
1 Like   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 9:49AM
POLKA GIRL DESIGN
Agree 3X6 for the contemporary look
1 Like   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 9:53AM
ginadrusc
ok I am going to go with the 3x6. I agree that it will give it a more contemporary look and it will also be easier to clean since there is less grout. I'm torn on white vs light gray. Anyone know any free software where I could see how each of them would look?
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 10:04AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Again Gina - Responding to your earlier question - yes, I can understand your concern that the white subway with the white cabinets might be too much. But in fact this combo seems top work very well, at least in my opinion - and has the advantage of "leaving the stage open" for your granite.

If you wish, you might check out project #91012 on our web-site (www.somekitchen,com) to see white subway with white cabinets. In this kitchen, the pattern in the stone counter is more subtle than in yours, I realize, but the same factors seem to apply.

As Barbara above comments, many folks prefer to run the countertop granite right up the wall to the cabinetry. I can't articulate why, necessarily, but I prefer to leave the stone just on the counter - perhaps it seems less bulky.

Bye... Mark
2 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 10:08AM
mlou72
Why not white tile and light gray grout? Still light, but subtle stand out and easier to clean.
1 Like   January 22, 2014 at 2:21PM
claude12
I like the granite up the wall, that way the exotic stone is the star! that's what I did--I've been told it looks great.
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 2:40PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
That would be too much pattern for a white Cabinet it would take over the Kitchen
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 6:29PM
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 7:23PM
20fleetwood
Love your kitchen and either color would work
I also am doing white cabinets and deciding on glass subway
Tile deciding between color or white choice
Please send me your granite color it's a great choice
Thanks
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 9:19PM
jlbedford
Go with the larger tile for sure. Smaller tiles are more busy and distracting, and as others have commented you have a lot more grout lines. I also agree going larger than 3x6 better. I am planning to use gray glass tiles in my bathroom as the accent to Carrera marble. I am using one called "Fog". It's a light gray.
The pictures are of a display at the tile store; my accent pattern will be different. (I also attached copy of the floor which is all that's done so far. The cabinets will be painted and the vanity replaced with the Carrerra.)
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 22, 2014 at 10:18PM
ginadrusc
20fleetwood my granite color is called bianco antico granite from Omicron Granite in Pompano Beach, FL. Here is a link http://www.omicrongranite.net/
1 Like   January 23, 2014 at 6:19AM
jlbedford
It looks like one called Alaska, but I think retailers put their own names on them.
1 Like   January 23, 2014 at 11:30AM
maureenroth
Don't forget to use a polymer modified grout instead of water. Doesn't need sealing and since it's a mostly white kitchen, the last thing you need is stained grout.
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 12:05PM
Coates Design Architects Seattle
consider joint alignment issues - horizontal orientation will help
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 12:08PM
Bath Plus, Designer Showroom
3X9 will give you a more contemporary feel to the kitchen and it would look great staggered vertically.
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 12:21PM
20fleetwood
Thanks but need to do horizontal will 3x9 still work or will do 3x6
3x12 too big for area
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 12:30PM
Love your kitchen, good job.like you put in some glass fronts. And the drawers by refrig is genius. I would do the bigger tile. Other is too small for subway look. Granite is very nice, also floors.
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 4:43PM
ginadrusc
The kitchen is coming along.
0 Likes   January 24, 2014 at 5:47AM
Patricia Colwell
So I am going to be the anti white person I think you should go with a 3 x6 subway in the darker color of your granite and use grout in the same color, your kitchen is nice but the backsplash is the bling you need to make it all come together, so go darker you will love it.I would also stack them instead of staggered it will have a more modern feel.
0 Likes   Thanked by ginadrusc    January 24, 2014 at 6:33AM
ginadrusc
After seeing the granite installed I am going to go with the 3x6 glass tile in a light gray.
1 Like   January 24, 2014 at 7:23AM