Dining Area... Need Help...
mjsilvas85
mjsilvas85
Got rid of traditional dining table was hoping to go transitional/ contemporary, my interior decorator choose this espresso table/ chairs which seem rustic to me.. World market will have same chairs I purchased except wingback chairs on Jan 26th for end of table or should I go 2 pattern wingback chairs... As you can see it didn't work out w/ interior decorator when I met w/ her she didn't have her tablet with measurements, seem uncoordinated and seem she had to much work on her hands.. She told me neutrals/ espressos was too traditional but than again she chooses same for my dining area. I need help with art, lighting, decor & etc.... I like this Orb light fixture comes in bronze and & aged silver.. Color inspiration since it's an open plan turquiose , yellow, white & grey... Thank you!
Specialty Doors
replace that light fixture, add some corwn molding for dimension... go from there.
January 22, 2014 at 11:39am     
KShoa
Check out my artwork for ideas on that big wall. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose. Style is contemporary.

Don't be afraid of big art! It will add a lot of interest to your space.

All available work here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

If you don't find what you like, I can do a commission for you.

Enjoy decorating! Some samples below.
January 22, 2014 at 11:44am   
felixgrantham
Wing backs can be hard to pull up to a table.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to sit at the end of the table & bang their knees on the table legs. You were correct to ditch the "decorator" if that's what she picked. There is nothing condemning neutrals/ espressos as too traditional - look at Restoration Hardware! What a silly remark.

Your room is crying out for some pattern - get a rug & some art!

The orb light fixture is cute.
January 22, 2014 at 12:00pm     
mjsilvas85
It's the Arcadia extention table it has 2 leafs it at 68' right now, I actually would prefered a round dining table but my interior designer choose this one... but extends to 96 and seats 8..
January 22, 2014 at 1:38pm   
leifshouse
If your table extends then put the leaf in and add a chair to each side. You could add a little color by adding a print and a coordinating print on the chairs where the white part is. You can leave the seat and just do the front and back of the upright or do the seat and the back of the upright - -

The chandelier you picked is cute. Be sure to lower it (compared to the existing). You could have some nice flowers and and some contemporary art to pep things up. Maybe tie in the fabric on chairs to some simple draperies.

OR

You could keep the chairs white and get a very colorful rug that might also coordinate with your living room or whatever room is nearby so there is some unity and cohesion throughout your house.

If you have a lot of pattern on the chairs and drapes, a nice neutral or simple rug underneath would be nice. Make sure the rug is big enough for diners to pull out without falling off the edge (
)
January 22, 2014 at 2:18pm     
mjsilvas85
Better pics, better lighting...
January 22, 2014 at 7:41pm   
mjsilvas85
Thank you for all the feedback!
January 23, 2014 at 5:14pm   
ReNewal Home Decor
Here are some recent wingback style dining chairs which I designed for a client. While they are in neutral color palette, they have a mix of patterns to add interest. Custom designs available. www.renewalhomedecor.com
January 23, 2014 at 5:36pm   
mjsilvas85
@ReNewal Home Decor like color is it grey, interior decorator choose these for my livjng room area..
January 23, 2014 at 6:39pm   
mjsilvas85
somestupidusernameluh, interior decorator actually did a good job for a friend of mine just decor and yes I showed her pics she just seem fast and just choosing anything, my daughter had a bad vibe about her...
January 23, 2014 at 6:55pm   
inthedetails
All is not lost. This is a great space and can be quite special with just a few additions. First of I love the light fixture you have chosen. Make sure to hang it lower than the one you currently have. I would add a buffet. If the budget does not allow, you can use a dresser, sofa table or even a long shelf on the wall at buffet height. This is where you can really bring in some color. Add two small lamps, pottery, linens, etc. but really bring in your colors. I would add a table runner to the table and/or placemats, again bringing in your colors. Above the buffet, I would hang a substantial mirror or three long narrow ones. I would add artwork or some type of architectural detail to the other walls. Reclaimed shutters, windows or just a shelf add great interest to the walls. I don't see a window in the room but if there is one, I would add drapes in the same color as the chairs and add tie backs in your accent colors. If you are not able to find tie backs in your colors, scarfs work great and they are available in just about any color combination. Enjoy your new space with no regrets.
January 23, 2014 at 7:39pm     
mjsilvas85
@inthedetails, I thought about adding a buffet.. What about this mirror?! I actually ordered Orb chandelier today and will be much lowered.. I like this inspiration room... Thanks!
January 23, 2014 at 7:49pm   
mjsilvas85
Another inspiration
January 23, 2014 at 7:53pm   
inthedetails
I like both of your choices. Here are a couple more. Any one of these would be great!
January 23, 2014 at 8:22pm     
mjsilvas85
Thank you! @inthedetails
January 24, 2014 at 1:20pm   
ReNewal Home Decor
@mjsilvas85 - yes the color is grey. I mixed greys with a neutral warmer tan as well.
January 24, 2014 at 2:26pm     
mjsilvas85
World Market just added new side chairs identical to my dining chairs...
January 31, 2014 at 10:42am     
need help for dividing living area and dining area...!
In my home both dining area and living area are on...
need help with a long-narrow living/dining area
I will be moving into an apartment with a long-narrow...
Need help with ceiling in kitchen/dining area!!
I will have 9' ceilings and as of right now we have...
Need help! Empty space in between living hall and dining area?
Hi, I am in dilemma what to do with that 7 to 8 ft...
A Rococo to go ~ Hold the Drama...
Bellesum suggested I start a new thread as a result...
Fireplace Disaster!
Hi everyone! I am a second year law student with a...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Need Help To Find Similar Night Table
Ikea discontinued this Hemnes Rounded Night Table....
Convert Loft into Guest BR/Office in a 1911 home
We just bought a 100+ year old home and are both excited...