Question: can slate floor tile be stained?
protoman333
I have an entry room (apprx 17' x 28') with a slate tile floor installed by the previous owner. its nice looking tile, but the lighter colored tiles are not dispersed within the pattern very well. I don't know if they had a lot or breakage and replaced with lighter color tiles or what, but it is NOT uniform as far as distribution of color goes. so...my question...can slate tile be cleaned, stripped and stained to a solid color? im just wanting it all uniform, which I realize removes some of the natural variations in color/beauty but honestly, they ruined that when they laid the tile in an ugly pattern.
Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
The variation is the point of using a natural material - you might consider LMScolfield concrete stain on the out of place colored slate tiles , but test first. Would area rugs hide the problem to some degree? Al that slate sounds cold and noisy
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 3:07PM
protoman333
thank you for your input! what it looks like to me is that they broke a bunch of tiles at some point and replaced them with much, much lighter colored slate. i'm all for the natural variations but, to me, its so poorly done its ugly. I literally got up on my ladder to look down at it in plan view to see if someone put their initials in the pattern, or maybe a word they spelled out. I think that if I broke out a few of the lighter ones around the edges and replaced with darker tiles, that I could probably hide most of the ugly spots with area rugs. and you are right, it is loud in there (and the 12' ceilings do not help) but its completely empty of furniture right now... I was just hoping that someone would chime in and say "oh yeah, we do that all the time! its super easy and super cheap!"
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 6:31AM
jmcadams01
I would love to hear the outcome of this! Did you end up using a stain or paint on the various light tiles protoman333? We have the same issue in our new home! The previous owner put in dark maroon tiles in random spots, and it is only in the entry and no maroon tiles in the dining room...the result is random!! We are hoping to find a way to color those few tiles to look more consistent with the other tiles in the room! Please let me know how it turned out for you!
0 Likes   May 6, 2014 at 7:06AM
protoman333
I'd love to hear the outcome of this too, but have yet to do anything! i did find a box of extra tile in the garage last month and plan on buying a few stain products (just need to determine a color range that matches existing spaces/new remodeling) to see how they react to the slate; so basically i don't have to ruin the floor to see how the stain takes to the slate. i am almost ready to begin a kitchen remodel (well, I'm ready to begin the estimating process anyway) and this will definitely involve the existing flooring as the areas adjoin each other...so maybe in the (somewhat) near future i will have an answer for you! ill try to remember to post the results so we can all learn what to do/not to do...i just wish the previous owners wouldn't have messed up almost 800 sq ft of fairly costly flooring (its not just the entryway that is multicolored, the dining room and a side room are the same way as well!)...
0 Likes   May 6, 2014 at 9:23AM
Need backsplash ideas
Here is a pic of the kitchen not quite finished yet,...
ayeymg
Before & After Photos
Here’s another project we began working on recently....
VANGUARD development
Can you help me Identify this wood flooring?
Hi! I had such great success with help here before...
Stephanie Martin
White Wash Cabinets
I had been planning to paint my existing oak cabinets...
indigo152
Backsplash tile
Hello! We are installing backsplash tiles and are not...
julessly