Need help with my living room
babibleu
We only got a sectional for the living room but beside that nothing else yet. I would love for suggestions, advises, and ideas to make this living space more lively. I was reading through decoration for dummies and it said that I could put another set of chairs and table behind the sectional to create another sitting area. But the husband thinks that was weird. And I don't like how we walked in and see the back of the sectional. But we also want to have a TV in this living room. Please help. Thank you.
lucidos
Putting a Sofa table behind it is very acceptable. What a wonderful room to decorate! You are going to have a fantastic journey.

In order to help you make ANY choices you need to tell us what you like. I can put any window treatment in there and tell you how perfect it is but it has to feel right for you. Print out full size images of each of the walls. Then print out and cut things to the image that you find appealing. Once you are sure (or undecided) of a few things you like we can help you fine tune it.

The best thing when fine tuning is to buy a few different styles to try in the room. If you don't love it...return it.
January 22, 2014 at 10:08PM        Thanked by babibleu
babibleu
Thank you lucidos. You don't know how many rugs I had gone through and return. Brought it home and it didn't look right with the sectional then we had to haul it all up to return. Do you think I should keep the fire place as is? I was thinking of painting it white. Should I put the TV on one side of the fireplace? My husband wants to put it in front of the fire place to cover it.

The bay window- should I put in blinds? Or just have curtains? And what should I put in there? Or leave it blank or with some pillows?

I want a contemporary look but for some reason when I look at stuffs to purchase it seems to be traditional :(
January 22, 2014 at 10:26PM   
babibleu
And i love the picture you posted!! Great idea for the console table/with chairs
January 22, 2014 at 10:27PM   
moyinlove
First of all sorry for my incompetent English...
I think u should turn the sofa left and sofa can be in front of the window so you can put tv units / music system etc in front of the big empty wall...It will make this room seems like bigger ...
you can also decorate the fireplace wall with a painting which includes geometric figures in it... the painting can contain the sofa and pillows colors in it..
the curtains are the most prominent things in living rooms... I think u can use window shade curtains it will modernize room...
January 22, 2014 at 10:37PM      Thanked by babibleu
moyinlove
oh I forgot to say that your walls color is gorgeous!
January 22, 2014 at 10:40PM      Thanked by babibleu
rpolli
I also think a sofa table would be fine or maybe low bookshelves along the back. I would start with some art work and then pick a couple of your favorite colors from it for accents and when picking out your rug, I would try to find something with those same colors that also picks up your wall color. You may want to start a new ideabook and add art, rugs, and window treatments you like from the products section that interest you for this room. it really helped me a lot to get started and others on here can help guide you with what works or would work better. I checked your profile, but feel your existing room isn't going in the same direction as your living room ideabook. You're welcome to look at my profile living room to have a better understanding of what I'm trying to explain :D.
January 22, 2014 at 10:41PM        Thanked by babibleu
lucidos
Yes Moy made an excellant point. Not all the way against the window out a bit further into the room.

Styles are strange things to pin down. Everything contemporary that is of good quality mimics another era. In the end you need to choose what pleases you. You need to be sure it's the proper size to go with other items so you don't end up with a clash of ideas and placement. In the end you and your husband have to enjoy the room. Think about what other items you need in the room. Then get those set before worrying about decorating the rest.

Such as what will you be using the room for? TV viewing or solely entertaining. If you need to figure a TV in the room decide where that will be best for lighting and viewing angles. That will dictate where things need to be so you can be comfortable watching with places to place a drink or a book.

Once you have that set things will begin to take direction. Also check the high end modern interior suppliers such as http://www.roche-bobois.com/#/en-US/home
January 22, 2014 at 10:47PM        Thanked by babibleu
SK Designs
The ideas above are great and especially the sofa table with some ottomans or small seating underneath. I would love to see a window seat cushion in the window area, along with shutters or blinds in the windows (if privacy or light control is needed). Drapery panels on the outer edges would frame the area nicely and add color and softness. Here is a rendering:
January 22, 2014 at 11:00PM        Thanked by babibleu
babibleu
moyinlove-I was thinking of putting the sofa there too but the reason why i was in love with this room was the bay window. I have always wanted a bay window and by putting the sofa there it would cover it :(

rpolll- hehe that was before i put in the tile and took down the mirrors on the side of fireplace. I havent look at those pictures for awhile. I should updated it. It was for my ideas of taking down the mirrors and replace with bookcase. If you look at my old posts, i have an old picture of what this living room used to look like.

thank you lucidos. Maybe i should put the tv in the kitchen instead. that way we can use this as formal living room instead of using it as entertainment.
January 22, 2014 at 11:13PM   
babibleu
SK-Thank you! I love the way the window looks :) do you think shutters would be too much? or too heavy looking?
January 22, 2014 at 11:15PM   
SK Designs
I think shutters would be fine. Keep in mind that shutters will cut out about 25% of your light, even when the slats are open. How much light do you get in the room? Do you have any privacy issues (can neighbors easily see in? are you on a busy road/street?)? You could also use blinds that could be tilted or raised completely. Depending on your privacy needs, top-down bottom-up shades might work well so that you could have the top open for light and to see trees, etc. but passersby could not see in.
January 22, 2014 at 11:18PM      Thanked by babibleu
SK Designs
Here is the fabric shown on the window seat. I think it would work well with the paint, carpet, trim and sofa.
January 22, 2014 at 11:22PM        Thanked by babibleu
rpolli
That's too funny. Can I borrow your deco for dummies? This is going to be a good one to follow along to see the finished product. I'm killing myself to get my remodeling done so I can get to where you are. Good luck and please don't let your hubby put the TV in front of your fireplace :D
January 22, 2014 at 11:28PM      Thanked by babibleu
babibleu
I think I just found a photo on houzz that I like!
January 22, 2014 at 11:31PM   
babibleu
SK- there is no house in front of us. We are in a corner so not much of a traffic. Our windows are tinted. I think the blinds should be better? This window is the only source of light coming through this room. Or the curtain you suggested should be okay? That way if we need privacy we will just close it. Otherwise leave it open for lights?
January 22, 2014 at 11:36PM   
SK Designs
I think blinds would be better than draperies that would cover the entire window space. If the draperies were wide enough to cover the entire window expanse, the stackback of the panels when opened completely would be pretty wide and might start to look too heavy. Blinds would be fine and you could have them tilted open for diffused light, and also so that there would be no "black hole" effect at night. The drapery panels would be only on the outer edges to accent and soften the window expanse and window seat area.
January 22, 2014 at 11:46PM        Thanked by babibleu
babibleu
Rpolll. I will make sure the husband doesn't put the TV in front of the fire place :) yes I was in pain during our remodeling. And most said this will be the fun part of decorating your house and buying furnitures. But it took us 3 long months to decide on the sectional and have it custom made and delivered. And now I am stuck of what I should do with the room. But I have you guys here to help and very grateful.

And here you can borrow this :p sorry for the bad lighting.
January 22, 2014 at 11:47PM     
babibleu
Thanks sk!!
January 22, 2014 at 11:48PM   
SK Designs
You are quite welcome! The room is very nice and I love the paint color!
January 22, 2014 at 11:52PM      Thanked by babibleu
rpolli
It's not the lighting, it's that I can't find my bifocals haha! I love your photo too. Now that feels more like the direction your room is going :) I really like that sofa table too.
January 22, 2014 at 11:55PM        Thanked by babibleu
lucidos
OMG hahahahaha. Yes this post will be fun to watch indeed. Truly, this is the fun part, you get to discover so many things and some will scream at you in loud tones "I HAVE to have that it will be perfect".

So about the TV....
January 23, 2014 at 12:03AM     
rpolli
Yes, so about the TV.... We move here 2 years ago and my hubby actually did set the TV in front of the fireplace. I came home and said it's not staying there. Well, it did untill 3 months ago. One day he came home and discoved that I tore down a wall so I could make the room bigger and now we have a new place for the TV hehehe!
January 23, 2014 at 12:15AM   
rpolli
So, I can't stress it enough....don't let hubby even try it haha! I know some people don't like the TV over the fireplace, but I really like it in your photo.
January 23, 2014 at 12:29AM   
lucidos
YES!!! My poor husband never knows what state the house will be in when he walks in the door. He can leave in the morning and my minions may have come in to move a doorway or the bedroom may have been painted deep brown from a pale chaulky sage and all the bedding altered and moved. He exists in the state of continual surprise and often checks the door to be sure it's his house.
January 23, 2014 at 12:31AM     
babibleu
It has been awhile, but here's the update for what I got so far.
April 1, 2014 at 12:06AM   
lucidos
You have put it together wonderfully. Which step do you want to tackle next?
April 1, 2014 at 12:22AM   
babibleu
I think I need to accessorize it :) put in a book case or something. It looks plain right?
April 1, 2014 at 6:24AM   
lucidos
Ok then we are back to the original question ...where to put the TV. You have the sofa orientated to the window.
April 1, 2014 at 1:37PM   
babibleu
What do you think of this side?
April 1, 2014 at 9:00PM   
lucidos
That works! and then your sofa is center to both the fireplace and TV...

I'm going to be picky, don't hate me, your drapes need to be a longer...can you add a border to the bottom? The sheers are fine.

If the TV is going in that corner I can see using a corner console flanked by bookcases. This would depend on the size of the TV.

(some examples)

The fireplace corners...I would go with something lighter weight. Perhaps a plant and pedestal table on one side and an over-sized comfy chair with an ottoman and floor lamp on the other.

Then end tables coffee table and art work. What do you have already?

Also ....something on the fireplace to give it more presence and highlight the shape. I need to think on that.
April 1, 2014 at 10:15PM   
lucidos
Ok Fireplace...I went way off the beaten track of normal.
April 1, 2014 at 10:54PM   
babibleu
I can fix the drapes. it's an easy fix once I get out my sewing machine :) thank you so much for your help! I was thinking of the corner tv stand too but would it feel too bulky?
April 1, 2014 at 10:58PM   
babibleu
Thank you lucidos. will have to go shop for ottomans this weekend along with light and end tables. your ideas are great! I actually have nothing beside what was shown on the picture.
April 1, 2014 at 11:01PM   
lucidos
The units I posted are not for your room ...just to show you the styling. Those are far to bulky and traditional for what you are doing. Although I do like the arch to mimic the fireplace...Let me see what I can find that would work and flow better.
April 1, 2014 at 11:01PM   
lucidos
Looks like I'm not finding anything except behemoths and custom. I'll check the Ikea hacks.
April 1, 2014 at 11:21PM   
bryght.com
I don't think you have too many options with your couch other than placing it on the right wall but it would make for awkward TV viewing. If it were me I would leave the sofa as is, I would add an over sized arm chair on the right wall, I would also add an area rug to make the room feel cozier. I would also place some artwork on the right wall. Add a coffee table and maybe some floating shelves or mirrors on the walls on either side of the fireplace / TV wall. Here are some pieces from Bryght that I think would really great with your existing sofa.

Oscar Armchair in Beige http://www.bryght.com/product/826/oscar-beige-armchair

Strip Mirror http://www.bryght.com/product/83/strip-framed-square-mirror

Strip Coffee Table http://www.bryght.com/product/87/strip-cocoa-wood-coffee-table

Eustace Wall Shelf http://www.bryght.com/product/759/eustace-right-wall-shelf

Hope this helps, good luck!
April 1, 2014 at 11:57PM   
Arranging our new apartment - Complete Freedom to Change
My partner and I just moved in to a new apartment and...
Need Help Arranging Furniture - 24x12 Living Room
I need help arranging furniture in my living room....
Dentil shelf
We just had our new door installed and it came with...