Need an idea for the color on the exterior paint of my house.
crank_emxes
Bungalow type, need an idea what color to paint on a blue roof.
greengirl
Why can't it stay blue? A lot has to do with location, style, etc.
3 Likes   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 23, 2014 at 12:25AM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
Paint the roof or find a paint color to go with the blue roof? I've never heard of or would recommend painting a roof.
2 Likes   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 23, 2014 at 12:28AM
crank_emxes
sorry guys! typing error, need an idea for the exterior to go with the blue roof.
2 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 12:31AM
I learned on Houzz that in South Africa people can and do paint roofs - so one learns something new every day here!

On a different note, what about the terracotta colour of the sand below - it looks wonderful? Or you could go with a putty grey/cream which would also work.
If you like brighter: white or a pale pink could work... provided you have lots of green planting below.
3 Likes   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 23, 2014 at 1:21AM
stevedenver
What effect do you want to have and what colors do you like? Do you know the exterior wall color yet? Do you want to blend in with the surroundings or stand out? What is the surrounding environment and colors?
2 Likes   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 23, 2014 at 4:11AM
Fred S
Tan, buckskin.... ish

On a separate note, why would painting a roof be any worse than the ridiculous suggestions I always hear to paint brick....or really nice antique oak furniture?
1 Like   January 23, 2014 at 5:53AM
greengirl
Hmm, bright white would look like the Greek isles. If I were ever so bold to have that color roof, I think I would make a painted double border around the windows. Next to windows white, then a bright lime green border, then back to white and finally a softer color but I don't know what right now. What color did you have in mind when you picked the roof?
1 Like   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 24, 2014 at 10:19PM
crank_emxes
@Stevedenver just need a color to blend well with the roof, i was thinking light orange or light blue, but yes I wanted it to stand out. Also surroundings are mostly trees. Thanks!

@greengirl I was thinking light orange or light blue, actually it was my wife's idea of a blue roof :), but like I told Steve i like it to stand out, because most houses i see with a blue roof have painted exteriors with white.Thanks!
1 Like   January 24, 2014 at 10:38PM
stevedenver
A complementary color to the green foliage would fall in the reds. How about a copper hue, like a new penny? It will stand out even more once ground cover grows in. I also like a rich mustard color because I've lived in houses that color and they're cheery, the color ages well, and it's a bold choice.

I would beware of choosing light or pastel colors, because they might not visually support the weight of the blue roof. There has been mention of painting the roof. I'm not familiar with that process: what kind of weather will the roof have to endure? I'm not convinced it's a great option to leaving the roof blue -- which I really like -- especially if paint could crack or peel.

Consider what the ground will look like when choosing your color. Will native ground cover grow in? Will the house be surrounded by hardscape? Or will it be landscaped with lawn and/or flowers?
2 Likes   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 25, 2014 at 3:57AM
Tara Hall
I would say a paler yellow than you posted.... Anything that goes with blue and complement the location. Not sure about the Greek isles. Looks like there is a lost of greenery in the area. You don't want the house to look like IHOP ( international house of pancakes)

Can you post more pics of the house , so we can see the architecture?
1 Like   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 25, 2014 at 8:59AM
greengirl
Oh. If you want it to stand out, how about the whole house lime green? But I would still put some white in there. I, too, am interested in what landscape will be. Could make a big difference.
1 Like   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 25, 2014 at 10:00PM
rpolli
Where I used to live, a neighbor had a blue roof almost identical to yours. I freaked when they were building it, but he ended up painting his stucco a light/medium gray. It ended up turning out nice. This was in the midwest, so depending where your located, perhaps gray wouldn't work.
2 Likes   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 25, 2014 at 10:54PM
Denita
I think the gray would be nice, but you have to be careful with the shade of gray. Otherwise it could look like unpainted stucco. :(
1 Like   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 26, 2014 at 1:17AM
Susan Olivari
I would go with a bright burnt gold, not yellow or a terra cotta Also get a mosaic planter with all colors including the blue in the roof. Take a look at SW0069(rose tan),0039(portrait tone), and SW 0044(Hubbard squash) but a bit darker. Hope this helps
1 Like   Thanked by crank_emxes    January 26, 2014 at 2:09AM
crank_emxes
undecided yet...
0 Likes   June 10, 2014 at 12:44AM
Need exterior paint color ideas for my house.
Hi, here you can see the top photo is my current paint...
sibernie
Need exterior paint color ideas for my house
I'm thinking of painting the house a lighter color....
sibernie
Bungalow type, need an idea what color to paint on...
crank_emxes
Need help picking an exterior paint color for our house -- any ideas?
Since we are stuck with brown asphalt shingles for...
jimmyinthecity79
Need help on exterior paint color for my house.
I just bought this house and would like to change the...
shau24
Help with Family room furniture arrangement
Having difficulty as how to arrange furniture in this...
drymades
Unique bedroom idea, please help! :)
Hi, I have a very unique idea for my bedroom- and I'm...
candr_art_designs
rredpenn
What should I do with this faux fireplace?
We moved into a brand new home and our decorator designed...
paradox44
Kitchen Renovation
We want to renovate our 1960's kitchen. I want it to...
ameshell