Need help with venting our stove
Maureen Anderson
January 23, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We are redoing our kitchen and want to avoid an overhead vent because it will obstruct our vision and it is a complicated and costly addition. There are ovens that come with a pop up vent in the back. Has anyone used one and what companies make them?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Marroquin Construction Corporation
When we come up on situations like these and have to use a downdraft pop up unit we always go with a 600 cfm or larger capacity unit. Anything less really has a hard time capturing the grease particulates and vapor. Ensure that whatever model you do pick out that it's a true venting unit. Folks may try to sell you on getting a recirculating unit for whatever reason. They just don’t work well. My choice: Viking, Dacor and Faber are all good brands.
January 23, 2014 at 9:57am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Fred S
International Residential Code
M1503.4 Makeup air required.
Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cubic feet per minute (0.19 m3/s) shall be provided with makeup air at a rate approximately equal to the exhaust air rate. Such makeup air systems shall be equipped with a means of closure and shall be automatically controlled to start and operate simultaneously with the exhaust system.
January 24, 2014 at 1:29am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Marroquin Construction Corporation
Our MUA (Make Up Air) systems are custom made for each application. We use a Fantech CFM matched axial blower with a power sensing module to match power on conditions of the downdraft unit.
January 24, 2014 at 10:42am     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Maureen Anderson
Thanks for your input. We've decided to keep the wall and go with a wall mounted range hood. Anyone have suggestions as to brands? We have a 30 inch gas oven so we're going with a 30 inch range hood. Honestly, other than lighting our cooking surface we don't use our fan much.
January 31, 2014 at 9:45am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Marroquin Construction Corporation
I would consider Broan to be a good starting point at around $500 for a nicer unit.I know that there are cheaper units on the market but either they are very noisy , hard to clean or just do not have the power. On the farther end of the spectrum consider Imperial and Wolf at around $1000 and up. Good luck with your kitchen project..
January 31, 2014 at 10:46am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
I have a Thermadore range with a downdraft vent and have hated it since day one. Not only is it inefficient, but the downdraft action pulls the flame from your burners so that you will never get even heat when you are cooking. If you can find any other alternative, like perhaps a glass chimney hood, I would do that instead!
January 31, 2014 at 2:41pm   
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What color should I use for this room? It's so flat
This room is too flat! It needs some color. Walls?...
Courtyard Help!
Hi there! I have an "Eichler Style" house with a...
Best Window Treatments with Cats?
I have lots of cats; love them all. Problem is, they...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
Need help with living room space usage!
We've lived in this apartment for almost a year and...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™