Narrow room help
hmanser
12x24 living room that opens into a small kitchen.
We are repainting with Pittsburgh "Flagstone" so the walls will be grey. I need to work with the furniture I have but can move the tv out of the room completely. There's also a giant dog kennel to contend with.
We will be listing it for sale once everything gets painted, so some items can be packed up
I have a few ideas for an inexpensive area rug, but not sure with the "busy" floors.
Thank you in advance from the design inept
carolins
How about getting a large sisal type of rug to define the seating area and cover a good part of the busy floor, placing the TV on the short wall, sofa where the TV is and the chair facing the TV. Small table with the lamp on this side of the sofa, dark bookcase maybe next to the window.
The dog crate will be the first thing people see when they enter your home. Not the best impression to make. So I would find another spot for that and put something attractive where the crate is.
Is there another table hiding behind the children's car seats? Maybe that could go on that wall with something nice above it. Not a mirror, mirror opposite front door is bad Feng Shui, and whether you believe in that or not, best not take risks ;-) But a nice friendly looking framed poster would be good. And a lamp. Things that you can take with you to your new home.
January 23, 2014 at 11:43am     
hmanser
I agree about the dog kennel for sure, we have 3 unused bedrooms that I'll most likely put it in. It's there for convenience sake at this point.
I was thinking a sisal rug but wasn't sure if it would be too muted with my other furniture, I have my eye on these two rugs. Mi would like to incorporate some yellow with the grey to brighten it up a bit.
That is another long sofa table at the entrance.
Sorry the place is such a mess, packing and painting is not helping my dilemma here... :)
I have these two rigs picked out as options. Any thoughts on these?
January 23, 2014 at 3:39pm   
carolins
Between those two I think I'd prefer the one on the right, with the circles. Think that will work better with your floor. But you have quite a lot going on in your room, a lot of smaller furniture items. The only large thing is your sofa. Which is why I was thinking you better go for a solid rug, no pattern.
A couple of throw pillows on the sofa and some art on the wall, couple of nice items and books in your bookcase will give you colour.
January 24, 2014 at 12:50am   
Need help with my narrow living room/dining room
Our house has a narrow living room / dining room. How...
Need help with narrow family room space
My husband and I just moved into a small ranch style...
Need help for my long narrow living room.
My living room is long and narrow. You come in the...
Need help with color of wood blinds
My wood floors are the color of cinnamon and my furniture...
Challenge of the day!
Teeny tiny dining room needs major help. navy son says...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
The right white - HELP!
I have just purchased a 114-year old farmhouse and...
New Bar Area
I have a large three piece entertainment center. The...