Different entryway flooring then flooring through rest of main floor.
acurra713
We are about to renovate our entire first floor. I wanted to put marble in our entryway which will be different from the main floor flooring to break up the sight lines. We have had issues in the past with guests missing the step because the flooring right now is all the same. The marble would be on the upper level in the photo and on the two steps down into the main living area. Our flooring installer thinks this is a mistake. I'm not a professional decorator but I do think this is a good design choice. Thoughts?

FYI...The rest of the flooring will be porcelain wood grain in an espresso color. We opted for porcelain over hard wood because the homes in our neighborhood have been experiencing "builder" plumbing issues and my husband doesn't want to take any chances with hard wood.

Thanks for your feedback.
MLB Design Group
IMHO your guests are missing the step because this area looks to be poorly designed and unsafe. I would suggest reframing that top level so that it is more squared off encompassing part of the area devoted to second step. With a smaller "angled area" you could direct traffic better and have a more welcoming entry. This approach would also capture the bottom tread of your staircase more safely, which right now looks like its easy to miss.

With a good redesign you could, in fact, reduce the overall footprint of this area while increasing the square footage of that top level, eliminate sections of the second step thus freeing up some floor space at the main level, direct traffic better, and make this area safer with sections of hand rail added. I think it could be more aesthetically pleasing, too, with some classic detailing more in keeping with other style elements I see in this photo.

Then, your idea to install stone tile at the top level would add visual contrast to your entry area.

Once you remove the existing tile, the framing work to rebuild this platform is fairly straightforward. You could use blue painter's tape to lay this out and consider the idea.
January 24, 2014 at 8:51AM     
Specialty Doors
a mosaic tile, something with nice colors, spanish or catalina tile would go with the style of the home.
January 24, 2014 at 8:55AM   
Patricia Colwell
I agree with refiguring the step and I would use the same floor throughout, don't know why you want to change if all the flooring is tile, I like when my eye continues through I guess just my opinion.
January 24, 2014 at 9:12AM   
Lori Angell
The design of your entry is a cause for safety concern for guests. My neighbor has the same problem even though his tile is at different angles, and it does look very nice. When he has several guests over he puts bright tape on the edges to alert the guests. I don't see an easy fix for this type of structure.
January 24, 2014 at 9:30AM   
smileyface2013
I agree with MLB. I think it would be worthwhile to redesign that area.

I don't like the idea of installing a handrail, but it would be another option to differentiate the stairs from the rest of the room.
January 24, 2014 at 9:42AM   
Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
MLB is right on, you would be smart to spend a few extra dollars to redesign your main stair so all of your flooring is on one level. After that, you could differentiate the entry area from the rest of the floor by using a lighter shade of the same flooring, and alternating planks of light and dark tile , up to the edge of the stair area. I'm assuming your tile is in a plank format, so it resembles wood planks? Good luck with your project.
January 24, 2014 at 10:09AM     
ttewalt
I want to incorporate a floor that will show the old wagon road we are building over. I am trying to accent and preserve the heritage of our town as we are building over the original road coming into town
June 16, 2014 at 7:09AM   
Need help for living room furniture and windows placement
I need help with windows placement and furniture in...
What should I change in my kitchen?
Hello all! I've gotten some awesome advice on here...
Exterior advice needed!
We're about to start a new remodel and need help on...
Need a rug for sunroom
I am looking for a rug for this sunroom. I have white...
Help with curb appeal
Just bought new home a few months ago. I dug out some...