Let's Talk about Mudrooms
Emily HurleyJanuary 24, 2014
Do you have one? Do you wish you did?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

chrisinky
I would love to have one! If this is a giveaway offer, I'll just take the one above. That would be perfect! :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:32AM
rbcola
Very nice. Simple, thought thru, organized!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:38AM
eis1
I do have a mudroom. It is gorgeous. However, it has become a storage closet. Our mudroom is in our basement right next to our back door. Our shoes, coats, boots, etc. are always upstairs on the way out to our garage or the front door. Does anyone know if It is easy to turn a door into a window? I am thinking about turning our non-used mudroom into a guest bedroom or an office. The mudroom is approximately 14X14. Any ideas?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:39AM
rbcola
We're planning a home build. The plan includes the Mudroom near the garage entry off the kitchen. Sounds from your comments - we should be happy with that.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:52AM
JRH76
I have both a mudroom and a sizable mudroom closet next to each other. I only hang the kids coats and backpacks on the hooks in the mudroom. I put the diaper bag on the bench with a decorative pillow. The rest of the junk - adult coats, out of season coats, extra fridge, all of the famiiy's shoes and lots of other stuff - goes in the closet where I can close the door and I don't have to look at it. Without that extra closet my mudroom would be an unsightly disaster.

This is a picture of my mudroom with built in bench and storage. If we had all of our coats hanging on the hooks it would be a mess.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:11PM
eis1
I would love to have a mudroom near the door that we use to go to our garage.

Here is another idea that you may not have thought about. If you have small children I would also try to add a bathroom right next to the door that you come into your home most often. Not having a restroom close to our front door or our garage door was challenging when I was potty training my children. In order to get to our restroom we need to walk through our kitchen, then the dinning room, then our living room, and finally down a very short hallway. Needless to stay, the carpet in our small hallway has been shampooed frequently. It is also difficult for the kids to use the restroom when we set up our water toys (plastic pools, sprinklers, etc.) in our front yard and have a "pool" party because they are soaking wet, muddy, or both.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:15PM
rbcola
Thank you so much!
Our Mudroom entry is a retangular shaped hallway. When you come in from the (N-long wall) garage…..on that same wall (to your immediate left) is my laundry/office/"woman cave (LOL).

The right side of the opposite (South, long) wall and the adjacent (West, short) wall is mudroom storage. The entry to the kitchen is on the far end of this long (South, long) wall and the rest of the home.

The (North, short) wall that faces some of the mudroom storage is a guest bathroom So, you come in from the garage - "unload your outer gear and (after you take off your shoes!…..) you can use the rest room, enter the kitchen/home, or the laundry/office (check your emails). Hope this isn't too hard to visualize…..I'm getting dizzy!

I do have young grandkids and a husband who's like another kid. I have a small dog, he's in/out too. I've always dealt with these challenges ( raised 4 kids, w/ cats, dogs in multiples) so I'm hoping this is going to be "peachy".

I do agree with the drawbacks of a mudroom area becoming a catchall mess! Having a place to "store/hide" is a good preventative strategy. I want hooks for doggy gear, umbrellas, wet boots, etc. I like the practical/economical "baskets" for whatever fits there. A tile floor in this space w/under "cabinetry" features to absorb messy-wet-stuff. I like the open space at the top of the "cabinetry" for extra needs, small, incidentals. I think using hooks for coats, hats, and purses is more practical than "draws". Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 1:06PM
California Closets
Check out our mudroom gallery on our profile.
9 Likes    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 1:08PM
AmSteam Renovations
This is a mudroom that we did for a family with 2 children they love it. They use the bottom drawers for shoes/boots and the upper cabinets for seasonal items
9 Likes    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 11:21AM
rbcola
Would like to save the AmSteam Renovation mudroom pic to my MUDROOM Ideabook. Not having any luck……any suggestions on how I can do that. Thank you.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:33PM
AmSteam Renovations
I think if you go to our houzz Amsteam site you will find the photo under party of four. Hope this helps
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:00PM
rbcola
@AmSteam: Thanks for your suggestion. Tried, but couldn't find "party of four" or the photo on website.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:25AM
Sarah Johnson
We have a mudroom. I have big plans for it, but right now it's just there. The previous owners put a huge bulky built in bookshelf in there so I have to figure out a design around it. I only wish I had a 2nd smaller mudroom off the kitchen. Our garage is detached in the back and in the summer it's not a big deal to walk through the house to put our things away up front but in the winter or when its raining all the shoes end up on my kitchen floor,
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:25AM
chrisinky
rbcola, when all else fails, I put my cursor on the picture so it is large & snap a picture of the screen with my phone. It's not the best quality picture, but its good enough to get the idea. Just make sure your flash is off or it will glare off of the screen.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:42AM
chrisinky
rbcola, I found the pic. Click on AmSteam's picture icon beside the comment. Party of four is one of the albums. Click on the album to see all pictures.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:45AM
rbcola
Thank you. I think the initial mistake was I couldn't find it on their website. But this AM I went to their houzz profile and found the photo as they advised. I also tried to find California Closets mudroom photo (Under a stairway)……was not able to find that shot on their houzz profile. But that's OK - there were others. Thank you all for helping!
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 11:45AM
AmSteam Renovations
Thanks for your help chrisinky! Hope you enjoy planning/building your mudroom rbcola
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:23PM
okdokegal
Last house we had a passthrough bathroom at the back door... you hit an entry and could go left into kitchen, ahead down the basement stairs, or right into this little bathroom... that had one big sink in a small vanity; a toilet next to it, and a big huge long towelbar under the window on the other wall. And you could walk past the toilet into the master bedroom. At night it was good, hubby of the short fuse bladder could answer call of nature in a few steps. Later years on weekends a lot of water ponding happened and I always had shorts hanging there to dry (cutoffs) as the ponds were mostly 'underwear deep' (just about soak my unmentionables) so I could de-mung by hanging a foot in the sink and taking the first layer off; and hang shorts to dry on the towelbar (clean enough to walk through house then to the main bathroom and use the shower wand and soap to de-gross my legs and feet)

I did not put one into my remodel as I don't have room. Decided butler pantry and laundry was more important, so did not run a sink in there, but it isn't far to the passthrough master bath from there so not too many ugly trails possible. When I put in the outdoor kitchen, I may put an outdoor shower and foot tub (sink you can step into) out there...
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:00PM
howellmsue
No mud room in my house, just a teeny hallway with a closet. One closet for coats and one for the washer and dryer...I wish I were joking but I am not! Here it is, sad but true.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:18PM
rbcola
At least you've provided a function to the space.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:15PM
ajrmcr
For me, the ideal mud room is a combination of hooks and DRAWERS & involves no baskets. Much cleaner looking.;)
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:25PM
rbcola
I think it's a personal choice as to what works for each of us. With/without baskets it could be a real asset to have a "mudroom" space.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:53PM
Katherine
We have a tiny mudroom/laundry room between the garage and the kitchen. It really just had the washer and drier on the left, and an awkward closet on the right (behind the door to the kitchen). Since the closet was so difficult to get to, the floor was always covered with shoes and coats and purses covered the appliances.

So we stacked the washer/drier, which made room for a bench. Shoes go underneath, and we have a high shelf above for baskets of off-season hats, mittens, etc. Each person has a basket. On the opposite wall, we put hooks (next to the closet). The closet ONLY holds off-season clothes.

Still not an ideal space, but so much better than it was!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:26PM
Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
Living I upstate NY a mud room is absolutely essential. Ours has closet, bench, hooks and a wall of cubbies. We keep all our outerwear in there.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:11PM
jcboulder
We gave everyone a standard closet in our mudroom and between the closets there is a marble counter and shelves. We also added a large square ottoman in the middle of the room for folks to slip on shoes and for extra storage
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:02PM
Darla Scheuerman
If you are building keep these items in mind. Washer & dryer. Sink And counter. Ironing board, litter box, animal carriers, food water bowls, leashes etc, freezer. Then someplace to deal with coats and shoes. Wish we had made ours a little larger, like twice.
    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:28PM
Michelle Lessing Interiors
Our mudroom, although small, is a great addition. It is a work in progress but is a great place for leaving shoes/gloves and what have you. Have a nice bench that is waiting for me to make a cushion and it has storage underneath.
Unfortunately the room is also used for recycling as well. Still looking for the perfect recycling containers that will fit nicely in the room. Any ideas?
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 2:59AM
jessegee
We have a wide hallway, with victorian tiled floor, and a very large understars cupboard. Its only a one bedroom flat, but so convenient, dog collar goes on the inside of the door, along with my coat and wellies, the towel hangs over a radiator and is down on the floor for when we get back. The microfibre mop also lives in the cupboard, to pick up any footprints, I'd rather live in a spacious 1 bed than a narrow or small two.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:27AM
jessegee
oh sorry michelle, forgot to say, I use a cardboard box, that throws out with the recycling....we have a regular supply, so its easy. We also wash dry and crush stuff, so it doesnt take up much space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:29AM
Capozzi Design Group
Mudrooms are great. As stated above, design with care! If you have an area that can be closed off, such as a closet, or some built in cabinetry with doors, you will be able to keep the space neat. If you have a boot bench, we recommend you keep that area open underneath.
Even with tile, you may opt for a tray to keep the wet shoes on.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:51AM
Jane Ellison
Am building now and cannot wait to get into my mudroom! We have 3 boys and a dog and lots of friends over so with this pic, we each have our own cubby (husband and I included), and one for friends! So stoked about my idea to put a short tray drawer under each of the deep basket- bottomed drawers for easy clump-dumping. (beneath the bench where we will sit to remove our shoes/ cleats.) This area is between the garage and the entry to the kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 10:58AM
momof5x
I don't have one but if I could I would love one within an enclosed closet, thus so all the shoes, boots, whatever can't be seen.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:03AM
Traci Whatley 75 Cabinets
We quadrupled our mud room 13 years ago. Lot of closet space, coat hooks, shoe cubbies, pantry and cabinets. BUT, the shoes never get into the cubbies, the coat hooks have five coats each, and the closets at times don't close due to the mess

We are looking to re do and I want to have a pantry for each family member. Within each pantry bins for:
Summer flip flops, swim suits, towels, string bags, goggles
Winter gloves, hats, boots, etc
Personal own coat hooks
Shoe bins
School bag hook, gym bag hook
Catch all bin
    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:54PM
Traci Whatley 75 Cabinets
We have a bench, but it never gets used.
    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:55PM
Meg
First home improvement I did to a brand new built home and one if my favorite places. Its a combination laundry/mud room and so useful. Just starting to add things to brighten the space now!
4 Likes    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 6:38PM
Looking to Talk With Someone Building a House
Hello, I'm a university student, who is currently...
Ken Mazaika
Let's talk about... space planning!
Do you have a difficult or frustrating floor plan and...
Lauren Kramer - Designer
Who can we talk to about designing something like this?
This project is really nice! It has a great manly feel...
p09a21ri14lit
Liquidscapes
Need help with interior layout of closet - mudroom - utility closet!
I need help planning the inside of a closet (exterior...
Theresa Moody
Lighting finishes, same or different
is it essential to have the same color lighting finishes...
juliemun01
Fireplace
Hello! We are in the process of doing some updates....
Katrina Perry
Need help finishing living room
So far, I have my tables and couch, and chairs. I...
carolyn80
How do I accessorize my new Michelle Armas painting?
I just moved into a small one room studio in New York....
jms465
need exterior color ideas please :)
1950 Ranch Style home, Fort Worth TX it has rock composite...
Christi Rodriguez