Antique Advice - What's your best tip?
Do you know a thing or two about antiques, or do you just admire them casually? What is your best tip for someone curious about antiques, how to find them, the value and their care?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

unwantedadvice
I do not know that much about antiques but I do own some. Back in the late 60s-70s, it was quite the thing to go antiquing. I loved going to all the stores and looking for pieces.

I bought this hall tree from an antique store outside of Ozark, Alabama in the early 70s and it is supposedly from the 1890s.
January 24, 2014 at 2:37PM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
2dogssashatess
I don't know a lot about antiques but I do like them and have some.I generally get mine from auction rooms or garage sales as it is cheaper than buying items in a store. Fads in antiques come and go, so they can rise and fall in value according to whether they are ïn" or öut",
check for borer, repairs, and if it is china check for chips and cracks
January 25, 2014 at 2:28AM   
okdokegal
If you have a vibrant full house with kids and pets, some antiques may not survive in your place. Adopt a new piece and weigh it against that fact, what happens if it gets damaged, trashed, broken, totaled? Make plans first.
January 25, 2014 at 4:01AM   
Old New House
When it comes to antiques we feel rugs are among the most important investments. A fine and aesthetically pleasing antique rug will pay dividends for years to come.
http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs

One of the most fundamental rules of design and decor is to start with the area rug(s). Approach the purchase of a rug as you would any form of art - buy the best you can afford, and buy what you love or are drawn to. We are consistently amazed that even people with no formal background or understanding of what makes a rug unique or valuable are consistently drawn to the higher quality and more luxurious examples. Across the board, it is fairly consistent that a new collectors eye is also drawn to what a seasoned collector may select - that is, classic contrast, tone-on-tone or a superb harmony of the two together.

Fantastic thread! Thank you for sharing :)

M+D
January 25, 2014 at 4:16AM   
l5kilmartin
Love antiques! ...but my husband doesn't ;). My grandparents worked for one of the larger auction houses in our area, and my mom has an antique and up-cycled shop, so it is in my blood to love the history behind a piece. Since my husband has less love for older pieces, I mix them in with our coastal-cottage style. The attached photo shows one corner that I am working on right now!

As far as tips and tricks--make sure you love it, and it is a great idea to know where it is going to go. I just HAD to have this fantastic vintage sewing table, and it really took a while to find somewhere to put it :/.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for a deal! Combine a couple pieces and see what the seller will do for you.

Auctions and estate sales can be a blast, so check out websites like estatesales.net.

Be sure to balance the old with the new. I always have to work to keep things from getting too cluttered with all our vintages wares!
January 25, 2014 at 5:37AM   
Mark
I would like to know more about antiques but I buy what is aesthetically pleasing to me and although it would be nice if pieces were to go up in value I don't concern myself about that. I have had antiques restored and I have found a man in my area that knows all about antique restoration and so I put my trust in him to do a good job. Before I buy a piece especially smaller items I either take them to this man or have him come and look at a piece and tell me if it is worth the price. I would say if you don't know that much about antiques such as myself it is a good idea to get to know a local person and get their expert opinion before purchasing them.
January 25, 2014 at 5:37AM     
nancyann0277a
Mark, those are beautiful. I have several antique tables, lamp and large drop leaf desk. Love to post pics to show but away for winter.
January 25, 2014 at 4:12PM   
Bethany Crenshaw, AKBD - Lowe's Bashford Manor
I wish I knew more of what to look for when shopping for antiques. You watch all those shows that say "this is a reproduction" and show you how they know. Usually when I am out shopping, I just pick up things I like. I usually don't have a lot of money to spend, so if it is a reproduction I don't mind as long as it looks good.
January 25, 2014 at 5:26PM   
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
My best advice is to only buy what you love. It's only an investment if you can find someone who loves it more than you and is willing to pay more than you did. Find one style, period or maker that you love and learn everything about it prior to making purchases. Start there. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors in the antiques business.
January 25, 2014 at 5:38PM     
notme11
Buy the best you can afford and only the things you love. Know that you don't ever "own" antiques. You are just the trusted caretaker.

The tall case clock was built in the 1750's in London. Has the original works still in it and runs perfectly. Purchased in 1958

I love art glass. Doulton Burslem is one of my favorites as well at Mount Washington.

Love to mix antiques with contemporary.

Picture was painted by Werner Kopf in late 1800's to early 1900's
January 25, 2014 at 5:51PM     
notme11
My parents owned an antique store for about ten years. Most of their antiques came from London where we lived for about five years. I learned a lot from them about furniture and art glass.
January 25, 2014 at 5:54PM     
jacobrg
I would goto maybe a antique store or a store such as Hobby Lobby and would pick out some rustic items, I have had a lot of luck at Hobby Lobby.
January 25, 2014 at 6:03PM   
Brian Shelton
When you see one your in love with buy it at all cost because you'll never see it again.
January 25, 2014 at 8:08PM   
What are your best de-cluttering tips?
Most of us admit that we have too much stuff in our...
Orchid care - what are your best tips?
It's Mother's Day in the UK on Sunday and a lot of...
What's your best housekeeping tip?
Occasionally my 12 year old daughter will clean the...
Do you go "Antiquing?" - Share your finds and tips!
Do you frequent antique fairs or seek out antique shops...
Your Best Tip for Keeping your Holiday Sanity...
What is your single best tip to keeping your home (and...
Men's Barbershop, what color should I choose
Small Mens Barbershop. What color should I use to go...
I NEED HELP FOR MY NEW BUILDING, A FOUR BEDROOM DUPLEX
I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY BLOCKS CAN BUILD A FOUR BEDROOM...
Stone or hardwood laminate in kitchen
Hi everyone, Thanks for any and all help! I have...
Please help with rug idea!
I have this chair, a dark hard woods and a slightly...
What to do with the front porch!!
We would love to have a more charming front porch....