What would you do with to make this wall and surroundings better?

l'artisteJanuary 24, 2014
Wall behind the sofa is 8 feet high, no crown molding.

We would welcome advice regarding wall art, end tables, lamps, coffee table or ottoman.

Sofa was recently recovered in a distressed grey velvet. Wall color is Benjamin Moore silver fox.

Overall style of the living room and integrated dining room is transitional furnished with a high gloss Macassar ebony dining table and buffet with aubergine finish.

Wood floor color is ebony.
RosemaryR
A lovely area rug in front of sofa.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:01PM
Sigrid
You've shown a picture of a nicely finished space. If you want more stuff, take pictures from other angles. It wouldn't surprise me if you had a large, blank wall behind the sofa, but I can't see it from your pic.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:31PM
Angelina Vick
I see you have some yellow accents, I suggest art with yellow to make the space more lively and tie it together.

San Francisco Golden Bokeh Print · More Info

I think a rug would made it a little warmer, homier. It's more maintenance though. I like what you have going. It's not a big wall, the small tables suit it well.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 24, 2014 at 11:34PM
l'artiste
Sigrid, the wall behind the sofa is shared with a galley kitchen. It is blank indeed (well silver fox grey) and that's one of the thing I would like to make prettier by adding art or design elements. I am looking for suggestions in that regard.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:38PM
l'artiste
Angelina, your comment is interesting because the condo space is in Chicago but I currently live in San Francisco and had decided that I would only feature San Francisco items in Chicago and Chicago items in San Francisco :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:42PM
Angelina Vick
Please feel free to look over my work and see what inspires you.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:43PM
Angelina Vick
Ha!! That is funny. I clicked on your name here and saw San Fran listed for the city, so I thought I would offer some work with city pride. =)

I grew up in Chicago. I have that city in my work as well.
Chicago Vertical Lined Rainbow Print · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:44PM
Angelina Vick
I am a Houzz vendor, I have 4 different versions of this city series available through the site.

San Francisco Black And White Concrete Jungle Print · More Info

San Francisco Rainbow Spectrum Print · More Info
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:47PM
Angelina Vick
Also cities across the country, you could have both cities in that. =)
USA Skylines Golden Bokeh Print · More Info

USA Skylines Vertical Lined Rainbow Print · More Info

USA Skylines Rainbow Spectrum Print · More Info

USA Skylines Black And White Concrete Jungle Print · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:49PM
Jeremy Strack
what about a pair of prints such as these by Connie Geerts, available from Allposters
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 24, 2014 at 11:50PM
Angelina Vick
I also have a yellow triptych that fades from blue to yellow, it's a vertical set, that would be a softer look.

http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/triptychs/all
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:52PM
Rita Patrick
I would take away everything except sofa and coffee table, add huge graphic canvas maybe of family in a thermal print. Use floor lamps with snake type adjustable necks and very small heads.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 24, 2014 at 11:55PM
Angelina Vick
This has yellow but it's more mixed.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/denver-park-3-angelina-vick.html

Swimming In Light is an abstract pair.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/art+collage+groupings/all

And these are some ornamental designs.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/ornate+designs+and+medallions/all

Some city work:
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-hubris-of-mankind-1-angelina-vick.html
This one is a little edgier, which I think works best in eclectic spaces.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/it-was-us-that-scorched-the-sky-angelina-vick.html

A walk on the wild side
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/dreaming-2-angelina-vick.html
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-benediction-of-the-neon-light-angelina-vick.html
    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 11:59PM
Angelina Vick
There are a bunch of ideas, and I am sure more will chime in.

Enjoy the search, it's best to make changes slowly...to be sure that you like the effect each change makes. People have strong opinions, I hope the room becomes what you want it to be. =)
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 12:01AM
l'artiste
Jeremy, I am amazed that you came up with a pair poster that picks up the tones of the flower vase and yellow hues. All of which would pair nicely with the aubergine finish table.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:08AM
chaefender
A pair of lamps and some art
Angelica Blue Table Lamp · More Info

Damask Relief Blocks Wall Art Set of 4 · More Info

Birch Family Frameless Art Set of 5 · More Info

Proud Papa Hand Painted Art · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 12:13AM
Rina
L'artiste, I like the feeling of what you have here, especially your flower lamps which are both pretty and very individual. I'd prefer more solid sidetables for them, those look precarious. I'm not normally much of a mirror person, but I think there's a good case for one here as art might compete with the lamps for attention. So I've illustrated a mirror below that I think would talk nicely to them instead (Ballard Designs). I don't think the zebra print works, it's discordant. I love the fabric and colour of the other cushions but think they are out of scale with the sofa. I'd also like to see one cushion on one side, two on the other, three different fabrics/colours. That would also help to break the excessive symmetry a bit. See the inset pic of cushions for colours that might work, though not necessarily these actual cushions, which are indoor/outdoor (Openairlifestylesllc). I like the thought of a blue cushion on the left to reflect the blue flowers in the vase on the right.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:54AM
Rina
Sorry, posted a version without the cushions. See bottom left.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 12:56AM
l'artiste
Adding to my original post (per a request of yours). I have this extra picture at an angle ( i have no other picture available since I am in a different city right now).

It does add a little bit of perspective to the location of the dining area and furniture. (left side of the picture). The right side not shown on that second picture is the entry hallway.

While they are pretty and of great quality, we are looking to replace the table lamps. The side tables were a reasonably priced purchase so make sure we have tables to put the lamps on as we took with us the ones we had to San Francisco.

As for the wall I must add, that my wife is looking for art or items with grandeur. She would like to cover a significant portion of the wall. There is enough grey wall in the condo, it would not be a shame to cover that pretty silver fox grey knowing that.

Thank you.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 10:17AM
l'artiste
Hello Chaefender and Rina, I will comment on your nice options a bit later. Thank you again.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 10:23AM
For the glam your wife would like, how about a mirrored coffee table? This one relates to your side tables. It may be too tall though. The height should be the height of your sofa cushions.
Henzler Mirrored Glass Coffee Table · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 10:28AM
Mercury glass lamps would add some glamour as well. They need to be the right scale for those cute side tables for sure.
Mercury Glass Table Lamp · More Info

Transitional Gigi Mercury Glass Table Lamp · More Info
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 10:37AM
Your current lamps would be fabulous for the bedroom.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 10:39AM
mpoulsom
try etsy for some art, or any universities in your areas for student work. great original art for NOT gallery prices! :)
for some reason, i keep envisioning this style lamp for your space?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 10:45AM
I think this art would look very nice over the sofa. It's 24 x 36 and is a pretty abstract landscape. I like the serenity and the grays, hints of lavender and yellow. Or, glass framed prints if you like the smooth finish. If your new lamps have the white shades, the white matt prints may look best.
Wall Prints - Lake Nipissin - 24"x36" · More Info

Honeycomb Abstract Art · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 10:49AM
Mark
I think introducing aubergine as an accent color would look beautiful with your sofa and walls. I would use it for the color of lampshades, art, pillows, area rug or even a chair perhaps. I would also choose end tables and a coffee table in a nickel finish.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 11:20AM
wisneb
Love Jeremy and Mark's ideas.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 11:24AM
KShoa
A few more...
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 11:32AM
l'artiste
Darzy, yes, they are indeed bedroom lamps.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 11:34AM
mpoulsom
Just ran across an interesting artist named Darren Thompson.........very cool impressionistic city scenes. VERY reasonable in price....he's got some from ny streets, chicago and not sure where else, but very nice.
Even if you got 4 smaller paintings and framed them in a grouping on the wall behind the couch, that would be nice as well.

suggesting these things without knowing what you guys like at all. art is personal, so i'm sure you'll find something.

Also 2 pieces side by side in black and white would nice too in that space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 11:38AM
mpoulsom
how about a cowhide rug for your space?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:07PM
mpoulsom
.......
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 12:11PM
l'artiste
thanks mpoulson. Interestingly enough, we had a cowhide before and it really looked good but conflicted with the rest of the space (dining space). It looked like the one you showcased. So great suggestion as I know it looked good.
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:42PM
sbrustein
I love your coffee table!! It's very pretty and when you have a lovely area rug underneath it, it won't be obscured. I actually am very fond of the painting that Angelina Vick showed called" Denver park 3". The colors will work well with what you have and it had a nice classic but contemporary feel, which us the vie I am getting from your room. I too would like slightly more substantial end tables, but I understand there is a space limitation.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 4:14PM
l'artiste
mark, do you sell that pillow?
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 5:23PM
Rina
Some lovely suggestions here -- I am particularly enamoured of Mark's pillow and lampshade. What a colour! I thought the lamps were bedroom style too, but that's one of the reasons I like them so much. Naturally a bit subversive, I like a slight "out of place" element in a room. Like a drop of vinegar on bland food. But as long as they won't be wasted .... :) I really like the coffee table you have, by the way.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 8:56PM
Kathleen Jamison
Please don't fall for some of the ideas of "art". Much to causal for you elegant space . I would like to see framed art with history. Maybe check out museum stores. Art galleries.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 25, 2014 at 9:07PM
l'artiste
Thank you everyone for your contributions in helping us solve our design dilemma. Mpoulsom got my style the best and gave me a full vision of what we should aim for in the room. The cowhide we had shed -- maybe it was old -- so we gave it away. No oriental rugs looked good. They took over the space. Are those Paris maps? Really like the simplicity.

Appreciated Darzy's mercury lamp idea for a bit of glamour; the one on the left is very pretty (where can we find those?). Agree, the floral lamps need to go (in a bedroom). Liked the lower mirrored coffee table, too; ours is too high and not elegant enough.

Mark: My original vision was to find aubergine lampshades, but could not find anyone in Chicago who had them. We are in San Francisco now working on this project remotely. Do you have a resource for lampshades in that color? If I went that direction, we would add more pillows like you suggested in the same color.

Also like the idea of a large rectangular tufted ottoman in front of the sofa, so that we could put our feet up, and/or place a tray on it. How does anyone feel about that idea? Where can we find one not too small, not too massive?
    Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 9:12PM
Mark
Here are a couple lampshades in aubergine that are like the one I posted. Beautiful color !

http://www.amazon.com/Sydnee-Satin-Eggplant-14x16x11-Spider/dp/B00BP98WAU

http://www.eurostylelighting.com/euy5662.htm
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 1:03AM
RosemaryR
You can get those lampshades at lampsplus.com. The eurostyle is $10 less. I've ordered from them before and was very pleased, beautiful shade, extra harp and great packaging.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 7:22AM
mpoulsom
I think a tufted ottoman would look beautiful there!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 8:55AM
housedresser2013
Those lamp shades don't have the right feel, and you should paint embroideries on the wall, but these are just suggestions.
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 10:27AM
The mercury glass lamp is Kirkland's for only $60. Unfortunately, when I checked for you it says "This item is no longer available". Maybe Kirkland's will have something similar you may like.
http://www.kirklands.com/product/Mercury-Glass-Table-Lamp/157614.uts?keyword=lamp
    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 12:41PM
I like this bench/ottoman but in a different color.
Townsend Ottoman | Crate&Barrel · More Info

Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 12:51PM
karen paul interiors
Water Number 10 36x36 Original Large Oil Painting by BorgAndIvee · More Info
can be ordered in different sizes in a print. The piece I've posted is an original. Thought perhaps we could move around on the color wheel just a little bit.
What would you do with to make this wall and surroundings better? - Houzz · More Info
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:50PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Don't try so hard. You have a nice space, but it doesn't look inviting.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:02PM
l'artiste
Sustainable Dwellings: We like to try hard. Not enough people do indeed. And we had great moments with friends and family right in that room. But thanks for the constructive feedback though. Makes me want to try harder. :)
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:35PM
l'artiste
Darzy, like the look of the ottoman. Will run the idea by my wife.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:41PM
grobby
You have a beautiful room. Looks very welcoming. My suggestions would be to get smaller
cushions, keep the zebra one. As mentioned by other posters, art, rug and lamps will bring this beautiful room together.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by l'artiste    January 26, 2014 at 3:44PM
How can I make this brick look better?
We just bought a house with a pretty sizeable brick...
sgreen18
Coffee+Side Tables - What would you do to finish this room
Trying to decide - coffee table and one side table...
dknishuster
Change to Fireplace Surround. Which one do you like?
Thinking about a small modification to the fireplace...
Louis
help how can i make this exterior look better?
How can i balance the front of this house?
vitamixbob
Need help with what color to paint my living room/ kitchen/dining room
It is a large room with a cathedral ceiling. The cabinets,...
jarnett
What to do with our walls- master bedroom
We need bedside lamps and to decorate our walls in...
rescuejill
Should I paint my dark Kitchen cabinets??
Currently I have dark wood cabinets but I feel like...
angel_delight_99
Main Living Room
Hello, All, I'm still tweaking this room. It's my main...
leestep
Deciding on this art? And corner space?
Help! Do I need something in this corner? Also are...
krf10