We Need Help with Our Fireplace Wall
caprifol
My husband and I want a fireplace wall that works with our small kitchen, living, dining area in our ski condo. We want something new and different but simple that compliments the room. We have seen fireplace walls with sheets of metal or solid colored glass ???? Know we could paint, tile etc. Would love some new ideas that would compliment our room !!!! Pixs & video available.
manschultz
Ck out www.fireplacex.com love the Bed & Breakfast also follow me on twitter @mytravisrep
January 25, 2014 at 7:59am      Thanked by caprifol
inthedetails
This space is awesome! Given what you have going on in the rest of the space I have two thoughts. My first suggestion is concrete tiles. I think they would compliment the rest of the unique accents you have going on. I would love to see a chrome mantel but don't believe you have room if you keep the piece currently above the FP, and I think you should. It is a great piece! Having said that, I can't help but see cobalt blue glass tiles. You have one of those unique spaces that just begs for something out of the ordinary and the artwork to support it.
January 25, 2014 at 8:31am        Thanked by caprifol
CDR Design
Love your space. I love inthedetails' idea of cobalt blue glass tiles.

I have another recommendation: have you tried floating your couch, facing the fireplace and then the chair on the right side of the fireplace?
January 25, 2014 at 8:36am        Thanked by caprifol
skrpan
I think you said ski condo?? I would put something natural like a stacked stone all the way to the cieling. Like a neutral colored horizontal stacked stone. Hopes this helps
January 25, 2014 at 9:02am        Thanked by caprifol
leelee
Love your use of very large scale items in a small space. Any of these interest you?
January 25, 2014 at 9:11am        Thanked by caprifol
3D DESIGNER WALLS... PLASTER WALL PANELS
3D WALLS WITH LIGHTING
January 26, 2014 at 5:18am   
3D WEAVE
January 26, 2014 at 5:19am        Thanked by caprifol
caprifol
Who makes this product ???? We have looked on line for "thin", light in weight, materials that add a lot of punch. A lot of what we have found, like a laminate, have a plastic base and won't work on a FP because of the temp. Plus, once we find something we like, it is difficult to find where to buy and who to install it. Our condo is in Park City, Utah. We live in Windham, NH. Should we find an architect in PC ???? The interior decorators in PC are a bit behind the times on contemporary/transistional designs for ski places. What you see in the pictures, is what we have done ourselves. We are still working on the small kitchen. We just replaced the new frig with a counter depth Liebherr and now have to install a new grill for it and new molding above the cabinets. The contractor we work with is great, anal like us, but learning as we push him to do things he has never done !!!! Attached are a few pictures of the kitchen.....Thanks for the help.....
January 26, 2014 at 5:48am   
We manufacture in FL USA, you can buy direct from us, they ship in box of 4 ...the panels are 2x2 ft and are in plaster and look amazing...easy to install and you see no seams or joints...stunning
January 26, 2014 at 5:53am      Thanked by caprifol
CDR Design
Love the kitchen.

I love how you have used larger objects in a small space. Most people make the mistake of trending the other way.

However, I have to caution you that you are bordering in the living room on too many large objects in a small space.

My recommendation would be to repeat the color in your art (cobalt blue) or......

my best recommendation is to do nothing.
January 26, 2014 at 5:53am        Thanked by caprifol
Patricia Colwell
I think the wall is just perfect, sometimes less is more, I think you have enough going on in this small space leave it alone.Maybe paint one wall in the kitchen some great color that would be it for me.
January 26, 2014 at 6:17am      Thanked by caprifol
leelee
Yes, you risk going overboard unless you keep it very simple. Something that doesn't scream for attention but compliments the room in a quiet way.
January 26, 2014 at 6:18am      Thanked by caprifol
caprifol
I tend to agree...I am considering removing a couple of the circles by the dining table and/ or condense the whole grouping, so it apppears smaller in scale. The issue that bothers my husband is the size of the black fireplace. In a couple of pictures, I photo shopped the size of the fireplace and it looks better, smaller. I am going to photoshop a picture using cobalt blue on the wall and see what it looks like. I have an interior decorator here in the Boston area that I have bounced "things" off of. She suggested painting the wall cobalt blue a couple of years ago after she saw the paintings we had made. Attached is a picture of (2) of the paintings we had made that are in the bedroom with cobalt blue water.....We have (3) paintings, a tryptic but one of the paintings is in the other bedrooms. The picture is not great but you can see the cobalt blue water. We were going to use the paintings next to the dining table but they conflicted with the current horse painting. I thought the (3) paintings would be too busy for the space. The whole project is in its 4th year because when we go to PC we are there to ski and squeeze in decorating.....It has not been an easy project for us.....
January 26, 2014 at 6:26am   
indianpatti
Great space! Love all the large scale décor ... I think I would remove the horse on the dining table and repurpose to another room.

Something textured and cobalt blue would look awesome
January 26, 2014 at 6:34am        Thanked by caprifol
Cottage Craft Tile
It doesn't appear that the the room lends itself to an ultra modern look. I would probably stay away from larger format tiles or trendy glass mosaics. If your looking for something a little different with a more traditional feel I'd invite you to check out our cottage craft tile website at www.artsandcraftstileshop.com Good luck with your project!
January 26, 2014 at 6:48am        Thanked by caprifol
dclostboy
This is recycled split granite...would look nice in this or absolute black.
January 26, 2014 at 6:58am   
dclostboy
@3D, it certainly doesn't help that your website is down
January 26, 2014 at 7:04am        Thanked by caprifol
caprifol
We have already removed the horse...Looking for something else for the dining table....Pictures were taken at different times...Attached is a picture of the cobalt blue wall....I'll try one in black....Thanks to all of you for taking the time....I greatly appreciate your thoughts.....Less may just be best....
January 26, 2014 at 7:13am   
Janet Woods
I think less is best. Leave the fireplace alone and enjoy your wonderful condo!! I am in BC Canada, and we are patiently waiting for our snow to come - this time last year we had 500 cm! I am in ski envy!
January 26, 2014 at 7:24am        Thanked by caprifol
CDR Design
Glad you removed the horse.....huge!
January 26, 2014 at 7:34am        Thanked by caprifol
CDR Design
I think the dr circles are okay.

Have you tried floating the couch so it faces the fireplace?
January 26, 2014 at 7:36am        Thanked by caprifol
leelee
Circles look best all together. Wouldn't split them up.
January 26, 2014 at 8:05am        Thanked by caprifol
CDR Design
I think the horse and the fauxidermy above the fp aren't working together. I also think the 2 or 3 pieces of art ( aspen trees) would go much better in place of your blue horse art.

Are you there and can switch them out and try that?
January 26, 2014 at 10:32am        Thanked by caprifol
caprifol
We are leaving on Tuesday for PC through Sunday and I am going to try all the suggestions I have received. Your suggestions and comments are all great !!!! Gave us food for thought......Thanks again....We will take pictures as we always do so we can see the progression if we change anything.....

Janet Woods.....There has been no snow in Park City since the beginning of December. Even Alta is low on snow !!!! There is some snow predicted this week...we'll see what happens. The Wasatch weather man indicates it may start snowing in mid-February !!!!
January 26, 2014 at 10:48am   
Shauna Cowley Filtz
Agate stone?
January 26, 2014 at 10:53am      Thanked by caprifol
Janet Woods
Sounds like we are in a similar situation snow-wise! We have 'possibility' of snow for Tuesday - and they are saying February for the big dump - better late than never! Fingers crossed for both of us!
January 26, 2014 at 11:21am      Thanked by caprifol
CDR Design
caprifol...sounds like you will have plenty of time to try suggestions. LOL

I imagine the sofa with its back to the dining table (with traffic space in between. The curvature of your couch is perfect for this.

This will also define the "living room" better. Also, it honors the fireplace as a focal point (right now it is sort of ignored).

I don't know if you are willing to do this, but I wouldn't have the one wall papered, as you did. Instead, I would have painted the drywall around the fireplace a deep charcoal. This would further accent the fireplace as well as remove the "black hole" look of the firebox.

I really don't think you need any upscale material on the fireplace.
January 26, 2014 at 12:27pm        Thanked by caprifol
caprifol
I agree about the focal point. We made the wall behind the couch the focal point using the wallpaper and adding the painting. And, the dining wall another focal point by adding the circles, so when you open the door you don't look at an empty wall. The fireplace now looks like a lost child becuase of what we have going on around it. It just doesn't feel right to us so plain. I am going to work on all the ideas this week when we are in PC....Thanks...Pam
January 27, 2014 at 5:02am   
CDR Design
My mantra is "when there is too much going on, there is nothing going on."
January 27, 2014 at 5:30am   
Need Help with our Fireplace Wall!
We recently moved into our new home, which we love!...
I need help with our living room fireplace wall
I want to update and modernize our look without replacing...
Need help with our new Swarovski crystal fireplace wall!
Please help! What can we do with this wall to make...
What is a garottage?
I have seen this word used on Houzz but I cannot find...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
How do you decide on a color for hardwoods? Any suggestions???
My husband and I just pulled our house off the market....
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...