Need help choosing plants / to replant alongside my driveway
johnkmcintyre
Hello, thanks all for your help in advance! I am looking to replant alongside my driveway to achieve a formal look which matches my Georgian style home (hopefully also with low maintenance)! Currently it is planted with standard gardenias and orange jessamine (murraya paniculata). Should I try something smaller like buxus or something larger like standard ornamental pear trees (pyrus)? Also with the oval shaped grass area in front of the portico, should I just leave that or put in a feature plant or an ornament or a border? John (Sydney Australia)
2dogssashatess
I wouldn't go smaller. with the planting
January 26, 2014 at 12:25am   
okdokegal
Your drive needs something taller... and maybe not quite so fence-y looking.

The oval could use something for an accent, I'd say the classic multitiered fountain waterfeature.... or at least a nice tall obelisk then plant something to climb on it if you want something a little greener. I am not sure of your grow zone or what does well in your area. You might want to consult with a landscaper or a very good garden/nursery center.
January 26, 2014 at 1:40am     
janecox
Check out Paul Bangay's book Garden Design Handbook, he has a lot of information on garden design and planting in Australia - His style would suit your house - I'm pretty sure he's still designing, might be worth contacting him?
January 26, 2014 at 3:03am     
jonomat
I know this house! I always thought ornamental pears accompanied by a buxus hedge underneath the entire way down the driveway would be lovely - it would frame it beautifully and give it that formal look you're looking for.
Another option to be more formal is a number of mop tops (popular on the north shore) planted say every 2 meters apart with buxus hedging in between each tree. The mop tops look beautiful when trimmed into balls and would give you the formal look.
You've got heaps of options with the circle
I think start with a buxus boarder obviously low and I think some large topiary cones (1m tall type thing) clustered in a set of three - all different heights - in the centre of the circle. That way it won't detract from the portico or house by being too tall or too bushy etc like another type of tree would be.
Or you've got the fountain option
A beautiful double layered buxus hedge surrounding a fountain like the one attached (although fountains are a heap of effort to maintain hence I like the topiary idea)
January 26, 2014 at 3:14am        Thanked by johnkmcintyre
jonomat
(Oh but mop tops require far more maintenance than ornamental pears obviously)
January 26, 2014 at 3:16am   
chookchook2
Plant cut and come again lettuces. Very trendy to use veges as ornamentals.
January 26, 2014 at 4:09am   
lisachar
Can the existing plants be shaped?

I would go with a double layer of trees as was suggested above. You could do this by alternating ornamental plums (for the red foliage) with something bright green that grows higher.

I'm not a fan of formal fountains generally, but it would suit the style of your house.
January 26, 2014 at 5:06am     
lisachar
Re the grass oval, you could put a large pot with a small specimen tree either side, in front of the pillars -so that you see them from the street. Depending on the size of pot you get, you could go for a weeping cherry, or something else that will flower.

If you also plant something that flowers down the drive, this would be a visual link right from the front gate to the house.
January 26, 2014 at 5:11am     
jonomat
@lisachar
I really like the idea of double layered trees! Hadn't thought of that

Like a taller variety on the outer side and a smaller variety on the inner side
And obviously some accent garden lights up each tree would be great
January 26, 2014 at 5:21am   
lisachar
Lighting would be great. I'm sure you could do something interesting with a low hedge and the double layer of the trees. Just make sure it suits the house, don't go too modern!

Also, I think you mentioned you like manchurian pears? Do you get the autumn colour on those trees in Sydney? Do you see down the drive from the house? You will need to make sure that your trees when fully grown wont block light from reaching your house (unless you want them too) or block a great view.

Let us know what you decide.
January 26, 2014 at 8:35pm   
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Hope this works for you . if not we can rework the drawing .Contact us .
February 6, 2014 at 2:20pm   
Night Light, Inc.
The entrance to your home is lovely. Here are some ideas for accenting the columns and gates with landscape lighting.
February 28, 2014 at 2:15pm   
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Love an alley of pear trees!
February 28, 2014 at 4:26pm   
need help finding rug to go alongside current rug
Hi! I have an oriental rug in a blue/grey/beige scheme...
Need help finding a rug that fits alongside current rug
HI! I currently have this blue/grey/beige oriental...
Need help finishing where my wrap-around driveway passes the house
I moved into this midcentury cottage 1 year ago. Where...
Need help for my driveway
What type of brick can you use on a driveway? Will...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
What do you miss most about your parent's house?
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell,...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...
Love these chairs!
Could you please tell me where I can purchase them?...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...