I need help in creating a back deck/patio area with an odd shaped lot.
rmd12345
There is a small existing deck where the stairs need to be rebuilt and moved and I would also like to incorporate maybe a screened in enclosure and a patio area below it. I also want more privacy than I have now. I've had a landscape designer plant some trees and shrubs around, but it needs a good design plan. Do I get an architect or interior designer to create a master plan where I could at least do projects in increments instead of as one huge costly project?
HERE Design and Architecture
Since your project scope includes both structures and landscape elements, you should hire an architect. They can help you with the master plan and will consult with a landscape architect or any other consultants the project warrants.
January 26, 2014 at 10:22am   
A landscape architect can design 'simple' exterior structures and fences and such.
January 26, 2014 at 11:12am   
rmd12345
Thanks. I do think that maybe an architect can lead me to a landscape architect if that is who's needed. This is probably a very small scale project as they are concerned, but to me it's more complicated because of the configuration.
January 26, 2014 at 11:31am     
rmd12345
Now for the process of trying to find one!
January 26, 2014 at 11:31am   
Richlind Architects LLC
Houzz is a great resource to find local professionals. I would also recommend your local AIA chapter as well as sources such as Angie's list. It's a tough market now for architects, you may find a few willing to take on a smaller project simply to keep busy.
January 26, 2014 at 12:20pm      Thanked by rmd12345
Foreground Studio
I would suggest pursuing a highly qualified landscape architect or designer for the master plan, as this project is much more exterior oriented. The bushes shown in the picture will most likely do little to resolve your stated issues. The designer could lay out the location of the porch as part of the plan. This would allow you to decide the best way financially, and logistically, to break the whole thing out into phases. Then once you're ready to tackle the porch portion of the project, you can hire an architect to do the heavy lifting for that specific aspect.

Similar to what Richlind Architects suggested, Houzz or your local ASLA chapter are good resources for finding quality designers.
January 27, 2014 at 4:06pm        Thanked by rmd12345
get14
An alternative will be to go either to Home Depot or Lowe's, they all have the tools and people that will help you design the deck you want and it's going to cost you less than hiring a Landscape Architect. Lowe's and Home Depot have different materials to choose from at the store and they also have special order items for a more unique design, further more they both have local professional installers that will do the job.

Install and materials are guaranteed by Lowe's and Home Depot, in case anything goes wrong during or after the install is complete. Visit their website for more information or call :-).

Of course you will have to do some leg work in comparison with hiring a Landscape Architect since they will take care of all the details from beginning to end but naturally this will cost you way more.
January 28, 2014 at 9:56am      Thanked by rmd12345
Need help with deck/patio project
We have a small unfinished area nestled behind our...
Front Deck/Patio on 60s L shaped Rambler/Ranch
Are there an places where I can see how someone has...
Help for patio doors and deck/patio layout
Not crazy about having a small door out to deck from...
Where do I put my deck/patio??
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping you can lend some advice. I...
trying to decide on wellborn cabinets or diamond
I have decided to replace my kitchen cabinets and have...
Door and drawer handles
Will these curved work? I have been seeing more squared...
Door to Door Sales / Soliciting?
Do you get solicitors at your door in your neighborhood?...
Need a tight fitting door.
We are refinishing our basement and want to include...
Brady Bunch throw back!
We are moving in a few weeks. This is our kitchen....