1960's ORIGINAL kitchen!!!
daisy46701
Please help give us ideas on how to simply update this kitchen without taking down walls/etc for the time being. Eventually we will probably to a major overhaul so don't want to dump a ton of money into it-basically looking for paint colors, light fixtures, cabinet/drawer knobs/fixtures, etc... Thanks in advance for any suggestions! (also please note that the washer and dryer will go on the far side of the kitchen on other side of dinette)
supergran
Are you able to change the handles ? And add a colour to the window,a blind?wall could be a darker colour.
January 26, 2014 at 11:45AM        Thanked by daisy46701
Christalyn
I love the fixture over the seating. Unless you need the air I would get rid of the ceiling fan and put in regular light fixture. Paint the seating area and remove the wood valence above the sink. I would start with finding a cheap laminate counter top that goes with the current appliances and start picking colors from there.
January 26, 2014 at 11:56AM        Thanked by daisy46701
Torrey Kanne - Re/Max Results
New faucet and hardware (brushed nickel?) Three new light fixtures that all match in stainless (the third is an additional pendant light that hangs above the sink, new dishwasher and fridge (stainless, and can stay for when you do the major remodel) and maybe take out the cabinets by table and put in wood (same color as table) floating shelves?
January 26, 2014 at 12:01PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Rachel H
I think you've got an adorable kitchen here that will really pop with some shots of color in accessories, a rug, a valance when you take the wood one down, new lighting. I like the lights they have here...
January 26, 2014 at 12:30PM        Thanked by daisy46701
January 26, 2014 at 12:35PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Love it !!!!

Suggestions:
Maskros Pendant Lamp

Ben Morre bali on the ceiling and new pulls on the cabinets.
Historical Colonial in Pasadena
January 26, 2014 at 12:36PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Gantt's Decorating
I don't get all this concern for "updating". It is a beautiful kitchen as is. Most of the old appliances have a longer projected life than the "made to last 8 year" new ones. I'd clean it up a little and "proudly preserve it as a good example of a 1960's kitchen.
January 26, 2014 at 12:45PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brooke
First off that dinette is amazing!

If you're looking to update temporarily your best bet is to paint the cabinets and replace the handles (or even just straightening them so their not angled. If you remove the handles keep them and sell them as a set to some vintage collectors.)

I would consider doing a two tone kitchen with the uppers white or an off white and the lowers a grey (if you want to keep bright and airy go light grey, if you want more contrast go med to charcoal). If you're more adventurous then you could paint the lowers green, blue or yellow. (When you eventually replace the cabinets go with slab doors as they keep with the style of kitchens/houses of that era)

I would add curtains high and wide to the window by the banquet in a fun bright colour.

I would remove the piece if wood between the cabinets above the sink as that dates the space (but not in a good way). The white counters and floor would still work great with the painted cabinets (when you eventually change counters don't go with granite, it was never used in houses of this era. Look at a solid surface or a quartz without much pattern).

I like the light by the banquet since it looks like it could be original but the ceiling fan is a bit dated looking so I would try to find a light that would work with the banquet light.

I think painting the window wall behind the banquet (just that section of the wall) with a colour that coordinates with the curtain fabric would be nice (if you go with colored cabinets, then paint that section a charcoal. If you use a grey of some sort for the lowers then use a colour for the wall.) keep the rest of the walls white to keep the kitchen bright and open feeling.

As for the washer/dryer, are they new or old looking? Front or top loading? If they're both front loading then I'd add a shelf the depth of the appliances just above them to "cap" them off and for extra work space. Maybe just pick up a butcher block counter (ikea sells them cheap) and cut to size). Then you could add some fabric to the front to hide them but split in the middle so you can slide it to either side and get easy access. If on is top loading I'd do the same as above but make a section of it on a hinge so you can still access the top loaded washer.

Add accessories in fun colours and that should do it!

I'll try to add some photos in another post (need to find them)
January 26, 2014 at 12:57PM        Thanked by daisy46701
yvonnecmartin
I would leave the cabinets as they are and add a color to the wall and a colored rug. It's a great mid-century kitchen, so play that up. The color you choose should be something that carries from the rest of the house. Do Include some red in the rug to carry on the color of the fixture over the dinette.
January 26, 2014 at 1:03PM        Thanked by daisy46701
daisy46701
Thanks for the great ideas, Brooke! And we are getting new washer and dryer so we can do front or top! ;-)
January 26, 2014 at 1:03PM   
gurukaram
New pulls, repaint if needed and roman shades for the windows. Change out the fan for a groovy pendent light fixture. New counter tops - laminate to save $s or quartz if you will reuse them in a later remodel. It is a very groovy space. If you want an island you could get something cheap - either portable/industrial from a restaurant supply or something off of Craigslist from somebody else's' remodel.

Love that dinette!!
January 26, 2014 at 1:09PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brooke
Just a couple examples
January 26, 2014 at 1:12PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brooke
Couple more, jut for cabinet colour
January 26, 2014 at 1:26PM        Thanked by daisy46701
the essentials inside
I think the kitchen looks great. Maybe try to replace the handels and new counters, corian or granite. change the light fixtues so they all match. The most cost is in the counters.
January 26, 2014 at 1:30PM        Thanked by daisy46701
mfwolfe
Are there other rooms in the house that need work? I think this one looks great. I think the funky way the handles are slanted on the cabinet doors is wonderful. Some accessories in a color you like would go a long way.
January 26, 2014 at 1:41PM        Thanked by daisy46701
chuckiech
I remember this design as a kid! I don't know how old you are but those pulls are classic. This kitchen is classic! I love the light fixture. I'd say some color, maybe some new appliances if needed. I agree that the ceiling fan needs to do unless it's really needed.
January 26, 2014 at 1:50PM        Thanked by daisy46701
studio10001
What is the to-do over the handles? They are completely appropriate to the space- no need to break what is fixed. I was trying to find some boomerang laminate - no luck - but did see these via Formica that could keep the feel of your current ( killer!!) style. I do this under the assumption that yours are worn out, and otherwise agree w Gantt. Your originals look like Wilsonart gold speckle, and are worth their weight in certain restoration circles.
January 26, 2014 at 1:51PM        Thanked by daisy46701
daisy46701
I know it is hard to see in the pictures, but they have painted the handles all a bright red. I was considering stripping them and trying to use the originals instead of replacing. I was also thinking of uprighting them (as opposed to them being slanted) but it seems that was a popular style back then so now you all have me thinking otherwise. ;-)
January 26, 2014 at 1:57PM     
studio10001
Ambient overhead light to replace fan ( lighting direct):
January 26, 2014 at 2:05PM        Thanked by daisy46701
handymam
Oh my gosh, yours is a 60s kitchen that is a dream! Most people would love all the white you have already! I would probably only change the floor when needed, but only because it is such a pain to keep clean. I love this kitchen!
January 26, 2014 at 2:06PM        Thanked by daisy46701
studio10001
If the red paint is even, you can save a step and spray paint them in chrome right over the top - likely to have been the original finish.
January 26, 2014 at 2:09PM        Thanked by daisy46701
daisy46701
Yes, I forgot to mention the floor is CARPET so with 3 kids 10 and under we will DEFINITELY be replacing the flooring asap. Any suggestions that will go with this kitchen as it is?
January 26, 2014 at 2:09PM     
Brooke
I like the idea of stripping the handles ad keeping them angled.

I only mentioned straightening them since it would make it less retro (from your initial post I thought you might be looking for non-retro). I personally would keep them angled as well since I live in a MCM home and like retro but not everyone does :)

It really is a great kitchen :)
January 26, 2014 at 2:11PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brooke
Eewww I didn't realize it was carpet. Marmoleum would be perfect in this kitchen. Pick a solid colour (black with white specks would be dramatic). I would avoid tile until you do you final reno just so you don't have to demo it when you get to that point
January 26, 2014 at 2:13PM        Thanked by daisy46701
daisy46701
I really was looking to gut the heck out of this home before I posted a picture of the outside and another full bathroom yesterday (since then I have posted the dining room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, fireplace in living room, and planter in the entry way that I have no clue what to do with lol). Anyway, a gentleman commented on it and gave me a few retro websites that I have been obsessing over ever since lol Starting to feel like we bought a GEM and agree with many of your comments: if it's not broken why fix it? ;-)
January 26, 2014 at 2:16PM     
handymam
Oh goody! going to look for all of the others!
January 26, 2014 at 2:18PM     
daisy46701
Is there a way I can put my threads all in 1 spot, handymam? That way they are easier for me (and others) to find? I can't figure out how to even find my threads without going through all the other posts and searching for them. Surely there has to be an easier way? I think I have 7 or 8 current 1's....
January 26, 2014 at 2:22PM     
Brooke
Fantastic! I love it when people decide to work with the original fixtures of a home. Plus my heart belongs to MCM so I'm happy to help convince someone to keep it.

Here's someone who used Armstrong 12 in. x 12 in Classic Black Imperial Texture VCT tiles which would be period appropriate. I'm putting in som LVT into my 60's kitchen since I find tile too hard to stand on (bad back) and things won't break as easily when they're dropped
January 26, 2014 at 2:25PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brooke
If you go into "my houzz" there's a section called "my discussions" and you'll find all the posts you've made or commented on in one spot
January 26, 2014 at 2:26PM        Thanked by daisy46701
daisy46701
Looks awesome-thanks! I also like the look of the stainless steel or chrome finish on the picture you just posted. Is that period appropriate for the 60's?
January 26, 2014 at 2:27PM   
saratogaswizzlestick
I think you handles are fun and go with your retro look but I do think it would be nice to have then stripped. I like the floor Brooke posted. Not sure if stainless is period appropriate, hopefully someone can help, but I do think it would look great.
January 26, 2014 at 2:37PM        Thanked by daisy46701
studio10001
It is period appropriate. You can use Marmoleum for counters as well as floor, and if you do, will need the chrome edging.
January 26, 2014 at 2:40PM        Thanked by daisy46701
studio10001
Strip one handle alone, if you decide to go that route- it may be they were painted to cover pitting in original chrome, and why I suggested taking the easier route.
January 26, 2014 at 2:42PM        Thanked by daisy46701
saratogaswizzlestick
You can also have things re chromed. They usually turn out great. Ask as they will probably strip them for you too.
January 26, 2014 at 2:44PM        Thanked by daisy46701
handymam
Sometimes, the originals may not have actually been chrome. I have seen some that are plastic with some sort of chrome sprayed on finish. They actually still make these, I think I saw them at Lowes if the stripping doesn't end up working out.
January 26, 2014 at 2:45PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brooke
You could also check out eBay or etsy for vintage replacements if the stripping doesn't work and you can't find new handles that you like
January 26, 2014 at 3:10PM        Thanked by daisy46701
studio10001
Good point handymam - and if that proves true, just proceed w care; they can be overstripped, and may not be of a replacement size easy to replace.
January 26, 2014 at 3:25PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Specialty Doors
I think it looks pretty good, start with some stainless steel appliances.
January 26, 2014 at 3:30PM        Thanked by daisy46701
happyasaclam
daisy, you can post links to your other Dilemmas on each Dilemma with an explanation to click on the links to see other rooms you are re-doing. Hope that makes sense. It's harder to explain than it is to do!
January 26, 2014 at 3:41PM        Thanked by daisy46701
millybolton
Hello Daisy -
I'm assuming the dinning table and bench seating are yours? They fit perfectly with kitchen as it is - who knows.....maybe you have a subconscious 60-ies chic hiding inside!!!? - have you thought about checking out the floor boards and sanding and polishing them? That or black and white tiled lino!
I'd live with what you have until you can have want you want - my temporary fix ups always take me longer to do than i thought and remain in place for ages!

stop and have a drink (tea or whatever) - Enjoy your kids, your home and reading all the suggestion on Houzz : ) ...now.....off to find your other posts........
January 26, 2014 at 8:24PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brandi Nash Hicks
Lo
January 26, 2014 at 8:34PM   
Brandi Nash Hicks
Love it as is
January 26, 2014 at 8:34PM        Thanked by daisy46701
Brandi Nash Hicks
I would not advise changing counter tops to granite or anything else right now ,your kitchen is a great kitchen ,just use some cute accents for now ,save all your money for down the road ,love the white ,do not paint those cabinets
January 26, 2014 at 8:37PM        Thanked by daisy46701
piplinz
A bright, pure, punchy lemon yellow on the walls would make the white cabinets pop & work with the light fixture. I die for the dinette!
January 26, 2014 at 9:13PM        Thanked by daisy46701
acroteria
I just want to chime in with those who advocate doing very little to change the period integrity of your kitchen. It's an unpretentious and honest design, appears functional, and is becoming quite uncommon. A lot of admirable things can be said about an owner who'd maintain such a distinctive kitchen. Kudos.
Amy Stokes
Daisy -- here is my favorite list on how to care for a MCM home
http://www.chicagobauhausbeyond.org/cbb/mission/midmodremod.htm
January 26, 2014 at 9:14PM        Thanked by daisy46701
heather_11
Is this what is known as midcentury? It has been well loved and looked after. Love it
January 26, 2014 at 11:28PM        Thanked by daisy46701
lucidos
You have a clean and wonderful kitchen. I agree the ceiling fan should go. Since you planning on a future remodel just go with any (on sale) click floating floor that you can easily do yourselves. You have a few choices after you address the floor.

1. Live with it. Maybe doors for the laundry area.
2. Go crazy and have a blast doing some retro things. Thrift stores are great for finding old kitchen treasures.
3. Try to modernize it, as is, temporarily, with current colors (did someone say gray).

A few things of note:

A late 50's early 60's Red and White kitchen would often have a light gray/white marbled laminate counter top. Walls would have been a yellow gold color (mustard). Sheer cafe curtains on rings and valances normally with pompoms.

My opinion is to say go with it. Decorating will be really inexpensive and fun. Make your family a mile high stack of pancakes with eggs and sausage and bacon. Perk some coffee and invite me over!!
January 27, 2014 at 2:01AM        Thanked by daisy46701
Hyde Evans Design
It's a adorable kitchen! I say add color, as well. Either recover the fabulous benches or paint the walls or both
January 27, 2014 at 9:22AM        Thanked by daisy46701
rinqreation
Such a sweet kitchen! Give the walls a cheery color and use chrome and fun colors in fixtures, lighting and decoration.
Or use earthtones, turquoise, brick (wallpaper?) and lots of wood.
Or just use black, white and chrome.
Anyway, go with the retro feel.
Design-Build
Shack Attack
San Clemente
Case Design and Remodeling of San Jose
January 27, 2014 at 11:30AM        Thanked by daisy46701
Specialty Doors
Wow very nice, like the retro colors
January 27, 2014 at 12:04PM        Thanked by daisy46701
rinqreation
Find inspiration here: http://retrorenovation.com/retro-kitchen/

Or try to sell it, there's quite a big market for vintage and retro.
January 28, 2014 at 12:49AM        Thanked by daisy46701
Need help with updating an original 1960's kitchen
I want to update the kitchen without spending too much....
1960s Kitchen Remodel
We remodeled our 1960s ranch kitchen that hadn't been...
Ideas for 1960's kitchen
I've got a few ideas of my own for this kitchen. I...
1960's kitchen needs help!
Ideas for paint scheme to provide inexpensive face...
1960's Home & Kitchen is 90% intact! YIKES! NEED HELP & IDEAS!
So we're on a pretty tight budget. I finally painted...
Backyard makeover please!!
We have a beautiful home but our back porch/patio is...
Need Help on Window Treatment Options
I would love some input on which window treatment style...
Architect/Designer Needed-Austin Texas
About to purchase 1970s small ranch house in Austin,...