from garage into a home studio
maugebrujaJanuary 26, 2014
Hi there. I want to turn my old dark garage into a home studio so I would love any input . There is no natural light and no chances of opening up windows on the side walls, so I thought of using skylights or solar tunnels It's a 20 square mts space altogether and 2.10 mts high. There is a split-in-two solid iron door that opens directly to a busy street ( photo 1 ).. Any inputs please ..I'd be grateful
This space looks bright enough with the opening in the garage door.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 26, 2014 at 6:51PM
Addison Design
Solar tunnels are a great idea. You should paint the floor a bright color like a high gloss red or whatever you prefer. That would bounce light around the room and give it some fun personality. You could also get a wall mural with an outdoor scene so you get the feeling of being out doors. I think your studio could be super fun. Good luck.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 26, 2014 at 6:56PM
Addison Design
If you go with a mural, pull a color from it for the floor.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 26, 2014 at 6:57PM
maugebruja
Im so grateful for your posts. The space looks bright, but it isnt. The photo was made with lights on. Appreciate more inputs
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 7:10PM
bubbasgma
maugebruja..what type of work will you be using your studio for?
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 26, 2014 at 7:34PM
phil2010
Any chance of removing the door and putting a new standard size door with a large window combo???
It'll not only let more light in but it will keep the heat in too.........
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 26, 2014 at 7:56PM
DMH DESIGN
Maugebruja--One of the guiding principles of converting U occupancy into R is verifying what does or does not pass muster with respect to the IRC and any specific jurisdictional code amendments for your area. Here are a few of my concerns about this space: how much natural light and ventilation are required to be provided by code. You will have to provide, given the governance of the unedited IRC, a min. of 8% of room area in terms of natural light (of which skylights could be a contributing device) and 4% operable for ventilation purposes. Verify this with your particular jurisdiction. Also, verify how the space is to be insulated. If you are intending on repurposing your garage/garage door as the primary means of ventilation and egress, that may become an issue--have you considered an insulated glass curtain wall and store door to replace the garage door? The R value of the walls, and of a metal or wood overhead door is probably at issue, given that this is fire protected, but presently unconditioned space, by IRC definition. Depending on your locale and municipality edits to the code itself, other factors, such as the slab may or may not provide the proper thermal break you need for converting this space to legally habitable space. These are things to consider as you move forward with this endeavor. Are there any HOA issues to contend with as well? A design professional in your area can best assess your best approach to addressing all the salient issues with your project. Happy Houzzing.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 8:13PM
Even with skylights, you'll still need light at night. It might be helpful to consult a lighting designer to see how many lumens you'll need. Then be sure to get 5000K (color temperature) bulbs for painting.

Search the Internet for instructions to make a nifty canvas storage system like this:
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 26, 2014 at 9:09PM
maugebruja
I'm so eagerly reading your posts and taking note of every single piece of advice. Since I would like to keep the industrial look of the space I plan to keep the garage door, so:
- what kind of bed should I get?
- how do I divide spaces within ? ( bedroom, kitchen, workstation) if one wall is 2.20 mts high and the other is 2.00 mts high?
- can use tiles for the floor, keep the rough texture of walls and paint them off- white?
-if plywood was used for the ceiling could I set dark pipes for the lighting ?
Thanks again!
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:38AM
I totally misunderstood. I thought you were talking about a working or painting studio, not a place to live. In that case, you really need to check out code requirements first.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 27, 2014 at 7:42AM
maugebruja
Sorry if I wasnt clear about this..what do you mean about code requirement?
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:18AM
Design Details
If you only have 20 m2 for a living space you won't be able to do much division. Defining the different functions is the actual task at hand and some of them will have to overlap. This is a beginning studio project for most architecture students so you should be able to find lots of great examples but you will have to follow domicile building codes. I'd try to find a young architect or student to work with. They'll be enthusiastic and willing to work on a tight budget.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 27, 2014 at 8:33AM
sondramartina
Not every country has codes or strict codes for building additions. Maybe Maugebruja lives in one of them.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 27, 2014 at 8:34AM
chrisinky
Can you add windows in the wall space above the garage door?
    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 27, 2014 at 8:43AM
maugebruja
Difficult job!..Walls are super super thick. Thanks for your post!
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:49AM
Design Details
Modern skylights aren't hard to install. Great for light. For sleeping, not so much. If you're handy a full dormer with clerestory windows would give you more light and space.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:43AM
happyasaclam
Provided your space meets code as a living area, make a Murphy bed. It folds up when you are not using it. You can find plans on the net and the hardware on Amazon. Some plans have built in desks that will fold out when the bed is folded up. A seperate foldout desk would be great too, for working or as a dining table. These are examples of what can be done in a small space. Porch with Fireplace / Guest House / Outdoor Living / Personal Getaway Office with a Murphy Bed 1
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:03AM
7417
Hi, we did the same thing but opened a wall of the garage (the end wall opposite your door) to built a studio apartment. As the back of the garage was facing the water, it was, for us, the best place to put the studio. When the grown up kids come, it's the ideal space for them to be with us but also give them a space of their own. Do post pictures of your studio when it will be done. And good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maugebruja    January 27, 2014 at 12:02PM
Coates Design Architects Seattle
we are using doors from this manufacturer on a project which may work well in your space, too: http://www.lacantinadoors.com/
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 9:48AM
chrisinky
Here's several space saving bed ideas. Bunk beds aren't just for kids & could be very cool if you build it into your space. I like the ones with real stairs that are also drawers. You could make it more of a loft with some space around the bed. You could put several things under a loft bed, or even put the bed on the floor level & put a short loft above it with the office on the top. If the bed was on the bottom you could put partial walls & curtains around it to darken your sleeping space if you decide to use sky lights for added light.

Amazing Composition
The Hennek Residence
Lakefront Camp
Extreme Makeover Home - Joplin
Dream Room Contest (2013)
My Houzz: Revamped Flea Market Finds add personality to a Dutch home
Transitional Beach House
Jenifer St. Residence
Writing Studio
Boys Bunkbeds
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 10:38AM
garage studio
Cement walls and floor and bare insulation in the ceiling....
marlisdunnusa
How to make my studio less blah
My studio is pretty blah. I think it's come a long...
Kym
small home studio cum guest room......
Thinking of converting a small bedroom into an designer/artists...
Susan Sutherland
Why change the style for a garage studio?
The house is adorable BUT ..the studio addition looks...
shawnie_56
Can you provide plans for this garage that are detached from the home?
Habitat for Humanity is considering helping me to build...
pegleg
Lake House Great Room
I have an A Frame room with 3 sliding glass doors and...
ltmtrig
Where do I buy the "bubble glass handle you show in your shopping sect
I found it two places in your shopping section. l...
janohlssen
Feeding the workers: What's considered common courtesy?
This is an odd question but I thought I'd get good...
Kathleen Barco
ktichen help
Light colored cabinets and black counter tops...what...
jewhitt
kitchen cabinets
How do I give my kitchen cabinets height?
Kameela Jackson