Choosing a refrigerator. Help!
Danieles Page
January 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Hello
I have a white kitchen and I NEED a new refrigerator. We have 2 young children and I don't like finger prints. I love the slate option but it's more important to have a good, quality fridge. I am looking at the side by side options but I am open to anything. The space will fit side by side and French door. I also want something that will appeal to buyers if I sell in the next few years. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mefor
French door is very versatile and convenient.
January 27, 2014 at 6:06AM     
Danieles Page
This is my space. We were changing the hardware to stainless and then stopped obviously when we thought about going to slate. GE is the only brand that has the slate option.
January 27, 2014 at 6:12AM   
Denita
Go with a French Door rather than a side by side. You will have much more actual storage area. What are the other appliances? White?
January 27, 2014 at 6:15AM     
mefor
Like either of these? I like them, but they will look very dark in your all white kitchen. Stainless with it's reflective quality will appear less "obvious"
January 27, 2014 at 6:15AM   
Denita
If your kitchen is white and the other appliances are white, why not get a white refrigerator? Look at this white kitchen with white appliances....(French door refrigerator in white shown here)
Vancouver Special Renovation

Here is another one white kitchen, white appliances
(hover over photos to expand)
Hyde Park Bungalow Addition/Renovation

Do what is best for the kitchen and yourselves, which to me would be an outstanding all white kitchen
January 27, 2014 at 6:19AM        Thanked by Danieles Page
Patricia Colwell
There is a stainless look finish that does not show all the fingerprints, I don't like white appliances in white kitchens they are never the same color and stainless still sells better than white, but if all the other appliances are white and in good shape and just replacing fridge go white french door.
January 27, 2014 at 6:29AM        Thanked by Danieles Page
halbraswell
We have LG 31 cf French door and love it. Like the look of stainless steel but you have to be particular cleaning it and smudges show.

The No. 1 problem with refrigerators is the automatic ice maker going bad. This seems to be a problem across most brands.
January 27, 2014 at 6:51AM   
leelee
I agree with French door fridge. Counter depth unless your space is recessed enough so that the edge doesn't jut out into the room beyond the counters.

What finish are your other appliances?
January 27, 2014 at 6:54AM   
sunnydrew
Stay with white.
January 27, 2014 at 6:55AM     
PRO
JudyG Designs
All my appliances are Jenn-Air. I wanted a gas top/electric oven with a downdraft. The fridge is French door/freezer on the bottom. The handles I choose are the “commercial” and they are ribbed, so that cuts down on finger prints. I have no trouble with any of the appliances.

That said, stainless is a bugger to keep looking perfect. I have found that just soap and water, rinsed, and dried with a lint free cloth works the best, but I am always cleaning it. And it is just me and DH, and for a guy, he is pretty neat.

Next time, I think I will do white and I will design the kitchen around that fantastic white Viking gas stove (if I have any money left).

Our gas grille is a Viking…love that, too .
January 27, 2014 at 6:58AM     
Danieles Page
All appliances will be changed but not all at once. They are all working except the fridge.
January 27, 2014 at 7:18AM