new house in need of some design help
jessg1029
We are moving into our new home in 5 days! I'm so excited about our living room and getting the fireplace I've always wanted. The room has hard wood floors and lots of natural light. I love it. But I'm stuck as to what color curtains to put up etc. I plan on painting the room french toast by glidden, which is a light creamy beige. I have a dark brown couch. I would like to use blues or greens as well in the room. I am not keeping the rug in the photo, it was just there in the house. Also tv placement, above the fireplace or no. Help please. Thanks to all in advance ♥
Warner Decor
Hi! What a nice, large space! Because your windows are small I would suggest roman shades. The link I am going to send you has several different options of patterns, so be sure to click into it.
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/2/homecraft-classic-style-roman-shades/

This chair has a little more pattern which I think would be good with a solid couch. It may be a little too green, but I can't tell how green the rug is from the picture.
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/7/allison-tufted-chair/
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:09AM
mpoulsom
Agreed with warner..............i think i would use roman shades in this case as well.........UNLESS, you want to make your windows appear bigger, then put up curtain panels from the ceiling to the floor. That's just an illusion technique, however. Think the roman shades in a fabric would be nice.

One thing that i would do to the room is paint the fireplace brick and mantel. It looks dated.......and since you seemm to be super excited about that feature, then make it beautiful to compliment your new room!

p.s.....some people have a prob with the tv above fireplace, but I do not. that's where my lives. IF you wanted to build some bookcases or shelving on either side of the fireplace, then I would say incorporate your tv into that area, if space allows.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:41AM
mpoulsom
check overstock.com and wayfair for rugs.............punch in your colors and you'll find loads!!! not sure what your style is?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:51AM
mpoulsom
........
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Agree with roman shades or no coverings if privacy not an issue. Can add texture with window film. Check out display at Home Depot.

In similar Living Room re-design, I added stained glass to the windows on either side of fireplace.

No TV over fireplace please. They are diametrically opposed "design" elements, using design loosely when it comes to TV.

Red brick is strong for this room, even as is. Have you considered painting it? I can see it softened & blending beautifully with wall colour you have chosen painted a soft creamy white.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:24AM
7417
Hi, Happy for you that you found a house with a fireplace. I use the Benjamin Moore site to download a picture and try different color schemes. Maybe that would help you decide on your curtain colors. I was surprised you didn't ask what to do with the fireplace, but hey, it's your house; enjoy!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 11:51AM
jessg1029
Wow thank you all such great suggestions. I wasn't sure about the fireplace so thank you all for the input. I didn'ìt realize my other windows weren't showing so I'll add a picture. Also if I don't put the tv above the fireplace, where would be the best location?
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 12:57PM
jessg1029
Any advice on the space would be much appreciated :)
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:09PM
mpoulsom
jess, don't know about all of the baseboard and radiator heating units with long curtain panels...............be careful when deciding about window treatments!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:12PM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Jess, I'd be shopping for a compact sectional to place under your front window and into the little corner, much like the "Private home" example above, except I'd incorporate a TV into shelving under the left window rather than over the FP.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:19PM
felixgrantham
Pick your rug first, and please make sure to buy one that is large enough. It needs to have some brown in it, but other than that, you should choose one that makes your heart flutter.

Your FP looks pretty tall, Try viewing your TV perched on a box on top of a chest or some other similar height thing to see if that hurts your neck before you invest in all the wiring needed.

Rec. you paint the brick as suggested above. And you can get special paint to paint the dated brass FP surrounds.

I think matchstick or linen roman blinds would be nice. I shy away from too much pattern on window coverings because they are expensive to replace if they become dated-looking. Consider your light-blocking needs - you may need the good liners if you don't want any glare on the TV.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:31PM
druif
I would put the tv in front of the window, preventing reflections on the screen. (Not right in frond, many on left side corner.) I would put drapes OSLT on big windows and roller blinds in front of tho small ones, to make them one with the wall.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:52PM
K D-G
These remind me of your room. Hopefully inspirational. :)
    Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:58PM
jessg1029
My fiance and I love all the pictures with the built ins flanking the fireplace. Still not sure about where to put the tv. Thanks for all your suggestions they are really helping
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 4:30AM
jeff1185
Congrats on the new home. I agree that the FP is a bit tall for a TV above. How about putting the couch centered in front of the large window on the wall to the left of the FP and the TV on a console on the opposite wall? Would it be possible to post a pic of the wall to the right of the FP, or even a quick sketch of the 2-D floorplan?
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 5:10AM
mpoulsom
jess, maybe put the tv to the left of the fireplace........looks like you have outlets over there!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:27AM
jessg1029
Thats where I belive it was before. I wasn't sure if it would look odd or not
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:50AM
mpoulsom
nah........it would look fine, people do it all the time! If you guys decide to do the built in shelves etc on each side, make a shelf space that the tv can fit into.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 12:07PM
jessg1029
Good idea thank you!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 12:42PM
jessg1029
I just had to show you all. I got this brown and blue chair today for only $26.99 of course I had to grab it. The other picture, don't mind the mess my apartment living room was also a play room, is my brown couch. Just so you can get an idea of the furniture for the room.
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 1:09PM
jessg1029
Pictures didn't upload before so here they are
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:45PM
You have a classic Craftsman fireplace. Consider built ins or cabinets for both sides. I think your TV goes on the wall shown below. (If you put it over the fireplace, you're going to make some chiropractor very happy.)

You already have the perfect fireplace decor, BTW. But I whitewashed the brick around her and took off that black thing on the front.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jessg1029    January 28, 2014 at 3:00PM
jessg1029
Wow that's beautiful thank you so much. Totally inspired to put some sort of built in around my fireplace now!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:03PM
Now, just how perfect is that?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jessg1029    January 28, 2014 at 3:09PM
sniphy
Mpoulsom said everything I was going to say!
Long drapes won't work if that is your heating source on the baseboards. There are some idea books and discussions on baseboard heaters that talk about window treatments.
Also overstock and wayfair.com are so go to sites for shopping. Wayfair has great prices for rugs and furniture.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:12PM
sniphy
Also, if those heaters are what you are using, you should arrange furniture before mounting a tv. You can't put furniture right against those heaters.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:14PM
jessg1029
That's part of my problem. I don't want my couch right against the window and baseboard heater. I guess I'll have to keep rearranging until it works
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:19PM
jessg1029
Love that. Thank you!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:25PM
New House. Need design help!
Love our dining room table but need to do something...
vkwilen
Need help in designing my new future house
Hi Guys, I'm at the beginning stage of building my...
farhatwael
need help to design front of fireplace in new house
I am in the process of designing the front of my fire...
jerrymcclelland
lfowls
Help! Designing my new kitchen and am in need of some feedback
We are redoing our kitchen. The cabinets have been...
Melissa Ortiz
Need help in our family room.
We have a Napoleon kerosene stove for heating. It...
glamantia
How do I accessorize my new Michelle Armas painting?
I just moved into a small one room studio in New York....
jms465
Are bullnose corners to way to go when building a new house?
I'm building a new house. Just looked at many new homes...
David White
Best sink grid for ikea domsjo farmhouse sink?
I have looked high and low for a sink grid/protector...
ebrownie
How costly is it to move a kitchen?
We are contemplating a remodel of our home. One of...
johnsonap1023