Would like to add a tall dining table
mmelto
Small high traffic area that I would like to add a bar height table and stools to, really wish I could expand on kitchen island but too narrow unless anyone has any ideas. This area has French doors to the right that open onto large deck.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Tall tables are sometimes problematic--do you have children or relatives that are height-challenged and would have a hard time getting up and down off the chairs? In a small area, a lower table and chairs will make the room feel more spacious and relaxing.
0 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 11:49AM
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
I like the look you have now....
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 5:27AM
Could shift table set closer to window as this space appears available......I agree with Cynthia that the taller sets have issues.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 5:28AM
Can't comment on counter w/o better photo of it. How close to doors leading to deck?
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 5:29AM
motownmom
Your table and chair set seems to match what you have decor-wise, so it's tough to change that. I agree on the taller table & chairs, if you have height challenged users, it might be tough.

I think the "high traffic" you are talking about is walking past this area to get from the kitchen to living room, and vice versa. Plus you need to be able to exit the french doors.

I'd probably go with a standard height rectangular table running in the direction of the island, with small benches that fit under the table when not in use. You might still have room for chairs at the end of the table depending on size, and would be able to seat about 6 people that way. It would have to be a pedestal or trestle table for the benches to fit. You are in essence extending the island, but if the table is small enought, you'd still have room between it and the refrigerator & stove.

If you can't find a table to buy that fits, see if you can have one custom made or make it yourself. I couldn't find a table I wanted for my kitchen so made my own from wood and an antique Singer sewing machine base. You can buy separate table supports from restaurant suppliers online and then get the table top that will fit.

Good luck.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 6:02AM
Peggy Corrigan
We had a rental while we were renovating that had a tall table and chairs...it was very uncomfortable and I agree with the above comments. Why not build a banquette on the wall facing the glass doors, a more streamlined table and then only 2 chairs for every day use.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 6:09AM
Patricia Colwell
Do you really need all this seating? If not why not just a counter height table and 2 stools that slide under when not in use and put the table against the wall on the left. As for stools I find my older friends would rather sit on a stool, much easier to get out of.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 6:11AM
What's your favorite holiday decor item?
Is there a piece of holiday decor that you can't wait...
My "Woman" Cave... a soon to be peaceful retreat for ME!
This room has 2 sets of french doors with a set up...
Robi
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
help for my dining and living room
hi, this is my living and dining room. something bothers...
filiozep
Yes or no to having a garbage disposal?
My contractor friend who does massive houses ( with...
Diane Mazefsky