Closets. Do you evenly split?
Jeannie Nguyen
Do you evenly split the space in your master closet with your significant other? Or does one person take up more space?

How do you divide the space in your closet? Tell us who has more and if you're still trying to fight for space! As always, photos are encouraged.

indianpatti
The walk-in is all mine :) He has a smaller closet in another room!
January 27, 2014 at 4:17pm     
Bonnie
I take about 75% of the walk-in and he has 25% or so
January 27, 2014 at 6:48pm     
mallow53
Because I set it up I get more. Close to even.
January 27, 2014 at 7:15pm     
kccasebolt
Hubs has the most closet space. Mainly cause I am a sahm & don't have a lot of work clothes like he does. I also get rid of mine when I stop liking them, he holds on to everything!
January 27, 2014 at 7:24pm     
Sigrid
Ditto Kccase

My husband and I now have an evenly divided closet and I'm pretty strict about not letting his stuff stray onto my side or too much stuff stray out of the closet. When we've lived in houses with two closets, he gets the bigger one.
January 27, 2014 at 9:00pm     
wantsideas
@indianapatti....me too! Have to give him kudos through. He measured my clothes, designed and installed my system from the Container Store. He liked it so much he did the same for his much smaller closet.
January 27, 2014 at 9:15pm     
LB Interiors
We have the same closet spaces. Each have a closet. We also divide two other closets evenly.
January 27, 2014 at 9:44pm     
rinqreation
Our walk-in closet is 5'6" deep and a little under 4' wide, once the bathroom, one rod (4') and some shelves. It is completely packed, I think one third his, the rest mine, we share the rod 50/50.
January 28, 2014 at 1:42am   
marissa camacho
I designed our dressing room, I have more clothes shoes and bags, so I get more space. No complaints from him! It is still being constructed so no photos yet. The entire dressing room is 12 x 12 feet.
January 28, 2014 at 2:44am   
sheriss
Exactly the same. I measured to be sure he didn't get in my half!
January 28, 2014 at 4:01am     
Studio M Interior Design
Heck no, it's more like 70/30 split in my household :)
January 28, 2014 at 6:12am     
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
75/25 in our closet
January 28, 2014 at 6:20am     
Jessica
When I was married, separate walk-ins, equal size but different layouts. His needed room for work clothes, Civil War uniforms, cowboy hats and boots, and his kilt and accessories. Mine needed work, dressy, shoes, purses, and Civil War stuff. Oh - by the way, standard closets don't work for hoop skirts, corsets, and other Civil War costume accessories. You need extra length for the hanging items.
January 28, 2014 at 10:13am     
diyher
ours are 50/50 now because this house we each have a 7x10 walk-in. Mine had one wall with 3 shelves and 2 walls with shelf and hanging area under it. Where all 3 of his walls have shelves with hanging areas under it. I use my shelves for extra towels, sheets, warmer blankets. I think our other house might have been 60/40 because it was one long wall half the length of the bedroom the previous owner made into a closet.
January 28, 2014 at 10:17am     
happyasaclam
Oh, I've been waiting for this to come up! :))) My hubby "cleans" his side of the closet every few weeks or so. After his "cleaning" sessions I go into the closet and take all his stuff and put it back on his side! :D
January 28, 2014 at 10:26am     
diyher
lol happy, at least he cleans his side. I find the empty plastic bags with receipts from clothes he bought in the corner on the floor of his closet. He would leave them there if I didn't pick them up and throw them away.
January 28, 2014 at 10:44am     
Amy Stokes
Dither - you need to put a small trash can in the closet for dry leaning trash. Also, a clothes hanger container is a great way to corral all of the wire hangers.
January 28, 2014 at 10:52am     
Isabelle Seculier
same as indianpatti! He has a small closet and two drawers under the bed and I have the big ikea wardrobe and two drawers under the bed too.
January 28, 2014 at 12:08pm   
Donna Allgaier-Lamberti
One good thing about a small house (2,000 sq. ft.) and almost no closet space is there is no closet space to fight about!! My husband keep all his outdoor & hunting gear in his pole barn! And I have about a 3 ft. space to work with. Keeps my options paired down and simple and I spend very little money and stay on budget by shopping at Goodwill. Keep it simple!
January 29, 2014 at 4:19am     
gigirambles
In our old house we had his & her closets. After that I swore I'd never share a closet with him again. So when we moved into this tiny townhome, I took one look at the MBR closet and told him he could have it and then I took one of the bedrooms and turned it into my closet.
January 29, 2014 at 4:44am     
foreverfarm11
I will be setting up my walk in closet with easy closets and have divided the closet 70/30 with me gettig the larger share. My closet will be much bigger than I am used to, so if he needs more room we will work it out.
January 29, 2014 at 4:50am     
Veronica
When we bought this house we split the closet left and right 50/50. My side is way more crowded than his, but I have been determined to not once encroach on his side of space. My rule, for any one "new" item I bring home to the closet, one "old" item has to go to goodwill and I stay within my space. It has tempted me more than once to fill some of his empty space on the "left" side.
January 29, 2014 at 5:49am   
Mark
Hmmm... The Battle of Closet Space
January 29, 2014 at 6:01am     
ana474
we have 2 walk-in closets 6'x6' 1/2". Unfortunately for me, both the his and hers closets are exactly the same size. A man MUST have designed this house :) One wall in the closet is all sliding mirror doors so only 3 walls of space in them. I am always fighting for more room and right now am in the process of reorganizing my closet. I am now going to be taking over the linen closet and putting shelves for shoes and handbags since I have no more room.
January 29, 2014 at 6:08am     
Anna Marie Kalcevich
never laughed so hard...the battle for closet space, a classic!
January 29, 2014 at 6:19am   
jstvt
Anyone have suggestions for free-standing closets that actually HOLD a lot of stuff? We are about to move into our current "bonus" room, so all three kids have their own room. But we figure that the room might not stay our "master suite"--it's 20 x 20, and really, we don't need that much space. So husband thinks building a walled-in closet space would be a waste of money. What other options do all of you know about? (I am refusing to move until I have a closet--I also want a bit of space to get dressed without the teenage boy group that hangs around here all the time just walking in on me!)
January 29, 2014 at 6:32am     
Susan Bird
We both have a lot of clothes so we divided evenly (but I secretly use some of his space)... He hates the lighting I put there, but I love it. :))
January 29, 2014 at 6:54am     
Sun Canyon Homes, Inc.
We are building a new home and there are two separate closets in the master. I tell people that one is mine the other is ours....which is not really going to happen, I will stay in my closet and he will stay in his. I just like to give him a hard time!
January 29, 2014 at 7:04am     
Joyce
we have always had separate walk in closets but in our new home that was not possible so we divided evenly. It has worked out great even though now I can't hide my packages as easily when I return home from shopping! LOL
January 29, 2014 at 7:51am     
piedmontdiva
I have a walk-in that has 12 feet upwards which I use every inch and he has a wall of three when-you-open-them-you-see-everthing sort of closets. I know where all my stuff is, but he needs to SEE things right in front of him (not half-way behind something or he doesn't see it.) It seems to work ok for the moment!
January 29, 2014 at 10:37am   
alh1881
I use about 1/3 of the closet space. He uses the other 2/3, plus he hangs stuff in the walk-in storage attic. (Hoarder behavior) I am constantly purging out stuff I don't wear. I have to-- but it is probably good for me.
January 29, 2014 at 10:40am   
Faux Stone Depot
Closet division is one of the hardest things to agree on as a couple, okay I'm just kidding, but you know what I mean. I guess the best way to split a closet is not by dividing but by adding. Add as much space to it as you can by using great storage cabinets or shoe shelves. Build your own so it will fit your closet and project better.
January 29, 2014 at 10:44am     
soozmacrae
Im afraid the I have most of the space. My husband doesn't mind though.
January 29, 2014 at 10:45am   
alh1881
JSTVT-- I use old English wardrobe cabinets for extra space. They come in a variety of sizes and configurations. You have to haunt antique stores and used furniture stores to find them but they look cool and have character.
Go to ebay and search "antique wardrobe" and you'll see what they are like.
January 29, 2014 at 10:46am     
Amy Stokes
JSTVT - the free standing wardrobes are a good idea. With the advent of the flat screen tv, there are a ton of used "media cabinets" on the market. I've got one from pottery barn that I've been trying to sell for over a year. I didn't replace my old tv until it died, so I was late to switching to the flat screen. Mine has a clothes rod in the top, and most of them already have that option or they are easy to add. If you need a lot of space and want a coordinated look, try the IKEA PAX system. You can really personalize it and make it look part of your room. It really depends on the look you want. The freestanding wardrobes will be furniture that you can move with you and the PAX will be integrated.
January 29, 2014 at 11:00am     
momof5x
We both have extra clothing to store so we equally need as much space, hubby added an extra addition to our closet area as he knew I would want more space. He bought an extra chest of drawers instead as he prefers that for some of his stuff.
January 29, 2014 at 11:08am   
acroteria
Of 21 responses: 1 @ he has more space; 9 @ 50/50; 11 @ she has more space.

Of the 11 @ she has more space: 1 @ 40/60; 5 @ 25-30/75-70; 1 @ 20/80; 2 @ ambiguous % "I have more"; 2 @ she has whole closet.

In our house, I put one BR adj. to the MBR so it can be accessed directly from the MBR as a nursery or, in our case, my wife's 10x12 walk-in. Myself? Well, the Town wouldn't let us have a walk-up attic so what would have been the attic stairwell became my 5.5'x9.5' walk-in.
January 29, 2014 at 11:35am   
rosecafe
The village homes I sell to retiring couples have what I describe as 'his and hers' closets, but as I tell the man "we know it's all hers" : (
January 29, 2014 at 1:47pm     
mcalex64
I don't have a wife or a girlfriend, so it's all mine.
January 29, 2014 at 1:50pm     
lake1114
We each have our own walk-in closet, but mine is larger. It is also organized and neat-unlike his-which is why we will never share a closet. He's a closet slob!!
January 29, 2014 at 4:40pm   
spencerbetz
Master has three closets and they are all mine... I'm single.... But I would trade the two smaller ones for a good husband in a heartbeat! And they have better lighting than the walk-in does as of this date! LOL
January 29, 2014 at 4:46pm   
Liz Sandrock
We have 3 closets with double bifold doors; his is in the bedroom and the other two (in the master bath) are mine. A lot of overflow bath items and bed linens have taken over one of my closets and my ironing board! I have had my eye on the fold out board for quite a while!
January 29, 2014 at 6:05pm   
jdforney
Our 1342 sf house has small bedrooms & closets. Our bedroom closet is actually decent sized (for our house, not in comparison to the above comments!) at 4 1/2' deep by 4' wide. My husband uses this closet for himself. I use the hall closet (normally a linen closet) for my current season clothing. It's 2 1/2' deep by 3' wide, so pretty small. Our off season clothing is in the attic where I know I use more space b/c of my love of evening wear & refusal to part with excellent quality work clothing (despite me not working the last 7 years). In addition to closets, we each have a dresser in the bedroom. Mine is larger b/c I wear more sweaters while my husband wears more sport coats that are hung in the closet.

It's small, but works ok for us. I was just looking thru my closet last night, thinking I should probably get rid of a few things. It's so hard to part with good quality clothing, even if I only wear the items every few years or so. I love, love, love clothes!
January 30, 2014 at 6:03am   
SoCal Contractor
We have two separated closet altogether however, if we shared it would definitely be around the 70% hers 30% me.
January 30, 2014 at 6:20am     
jerryandsusan
As far as closet space goes, go with the old adage. " What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine."
February 1, 2014 at 6:16pm     
luckylyn5
We have separate closets, but mine is bigger. When we remodeled last year, I wanted a walk-in, but there wasn't room. So husband got the existing small corner semi-walkin. We added an Ikea reach-in L-shaped closet system for me that our contractor made look built-in. One side of L has 2 closets @ 36" wide each - short hanging on top, 3 drawers on bottom. The corner section has double short hanging. The other side if the L as 2 closets @ 18" - one with long hanging, the other with shoe shelves. Cabinet maker built cabinet over all (so the closets would look built in), which gives me extra storage for handbags, etc.
February 1, 2014 at 8:21pm   
mljochim
When we built our home, we designed a large walk-in closet that was identical on each side. The thought was we would each have a side with a shared chest at the end of the closet. Problem is, I have waaaay more items to store than hubby does and he really does not like finding any of my things on his "side"! If we ever remodel or re-build, I won't make this mistake again. We will each have our own separate closets!
February 3, 2014 at 10:48am   
castellanol
3/4 me, 1/4 he - I think that is fair
February 7, 2014 at 2:16am     
senab
Separate walk-ins is mandatory.
February 7, 2014 at 5:39am   
Belle Chaise
We began with the closet split evenly. However, I have poached!
February 7, 2014 at 6:20am   
whirlwyn
Redoing walk in so measured for first time....he and she abt same hanging, and shoes, shelf is around room over the hanging. Same abt him "keeping" more. We do not need drawers. Photo later - still on process. 10 x 7.
February 7, 2014 at 6:37am   
California Closets
Why have just one closet?
February 21, 2014 at 6:48am   
Design on the Square
I typically design for a man to have less square footage in the walk-in, but double hanging. Typically women have long dresses as well as short items that can be double hung, so they need more floor space. Unless you have a significant wardrobe, which some clients do have, I aim for a minimum of 6' of double hanging for a man and 6' of double and 3' of single hanging for a woman. I also like to add a shoe rack to hold 30 pairs of shoes at least.
February 21, 2014 at 7:02am   
California Closets
If you share a closet with your significant other, be sure to split your closet! After taking inventory, whoever has more clothing takes 60% of the closet, and the spouse with less takes 40%.
February 21, 2014 at 7:06am   
Mint Design
My husband has far more clothes than I, but I am trying to catch up....he has the greater part of the closet!
March 6, 2014 at 5:26pm   
Archevie Design
My clients almost always need more space on the lady's side. When there's a question on how much space you'll need, measure what you currently use. It's hard to just look at the dimensions of the closet, you need to measure the rod space. I did a smaller closet in the house I built for myself. Although, Over the years, I've stared oozing into the now vacant kid's closets, I bought nice hangers and promised myself that when something comes in, something goes out. I just realized that winter is almost over and I never switched out the winter clothes in the other closet. We all have too much and need to send the things we no longer use to Goodwill.
March 6, 2014 at 5:38pm   
kpappal
Since we are empty nesters, and have 3 bedrooms, I use the largest walk in closet, and he has the other 2 walk in closets. He uses one closet for work clothes, and one for suits and nicer clothes.
March 6, 2014 at 5:47pm